MLB All-Star Game: National League beats American League 5-1. Fielder named MVP.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110703&content_id=21335168&vkey=allstar2011

American League:

• C- Alex Avila
  • 1B- Adrian Gonzalez
  • 2B- Robinson Cano
  • 3B- Alex Rodriguez
  • SS- Derek Jeter
  • OF- Jose Bautista
  • OF- Curtis Granderson
  • OF- Josh Hamilton
  • DH- David Ortiz

National League:

• C- Briann McCann
  • 1B- Prince Fielder
  • 2B- Rickie Weeks
  • 3B- Placido Polanco
  • SS- Jose Reyes
  • OF- Ryan Braun
  • OF- Matt Kemp
  • OF- Lance Berkman
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

If they want the all-star game to actually mean something then guys like Derek Jeter shouldn't be anywhere near a roster in 2011.

Either make it a pointless game (take away the home field thing) and let the fans vote for the most famous players or make it mean something and try to put the best players on each team.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

If they want the all-star game to actually mean something then guys like Derek Jeter shouldn't be anywhere near a roster in 2011.

Either make it a pointless game (take away the home field thing) and let the fans vote for the most famous players or make it mean something and try to put the best players on each team.

JML897
There are a lot of things wrong with the ASG if they want to make it mean something, like the fans voting for the starters, and every team needing to be represented. I believe that it should be a plain exhibition like it used to be. That said, it's nice to see Brian McCann getting the start instead of Molina, but I think there could have been some changes in the NL pitching staff. Maybe I am a homer, but I think Craig Kimbrel deserves a spot more then Brian Wilson. Lower ERA (Though, an overrated for relievers), same amount of saves, and a hell of a lot more strikeouts. Wilson has like 36Ks, Kimbrel 67.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

Ring_of_fire

There are a lot of things wrong with the ASG if they want to make it mean something, like the fans voting for the starters, and every team needing to be represented. I believe that it should be a plain exhibition like it used to be. That said, it's nice to see Brian McCann getting the start instead of Molina, but I think there could have been some changes in the NL pitching staff. Maybe I am a homer, but I think Craig Kimbrel deserves a spot more then Brian Wilson. Lower ERA (Though, an overrated for relievers), same amount of saves, and a hell of a lot more strikeouts. Wilson has like 36Ks, Kimbrel 67.

Agreed.

Also, no Andrew McCutchen is a joke. And wow, there are no good third basemen in the NL.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"]

Ring_of_fire

The bigger question is how did Hanson not get the nod over Vogelsong?
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ring_of_fire
[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"][QUOTE="JML897"]

white_sox

The bigger question is how did Hanson not get the nod over Vogelsong?

Bruce Bochy picking his guys. I don't think Vogelsong is a terrible pick, lower ERA than Hanson. Hanson probably should've been picked over Cain and possibly Lincecum.
codbgs97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 codbgs97
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

Im a huge yankee fan, but even though i hate A-Gon, he can still lead the AL to a win.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
im glad to see REYES as the starter!
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

A lot of things wrong with it...no McCutchen, Jeter and Hamilton are there for starters. But the fans got something right...Jose Bautista! Record number of votes! Can't wait to watch him play in the ASG and HR Derby.

I hope Lind gets in...Romero too. They are deserving, especially Romero.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
See the garbage would be fine if the game didn't matter, but it does thanks to bozo Bud so it's irritating. Also lol @ JMart one good month in pinstripes and you make the ASG again even if you go back to suckage.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JohnBean42
See the garbage would be fine if the game didn't matter, but it does thanks to bozo Bud so it's irritating. Also lol @ JMart one good month in pinstripes and you make the ASG again even if you go back to suckage. X360PS3AMD05
I'm glad Avila got in over Martian. Much more deserving.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

Come on... Jeter isn't even close to being all star game material... I am glad to see Avila get some recognition though.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#13 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Jeter? Really? Aaaaand that's why fans shouldn't decide all stars/pro bowles.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 X360PS3AMD05
Joe P. weighs in http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2011/07/mcgriping-about-mccutchen.html
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JohnBean42

I think the problem with the voting and Jeter and stuff like that is the average fan doesn't know why Cabrera is or Peralta or Escobar, etc. Since they don't know, they're going to take the guy with the best career, the safe choice. Shame really, since he really doesn't deserve it, nor does Hamilton.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Master_Live

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=6754658

Weaver set to start for the AL.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnBean42

It's a shame that all the great starters pitched Saturday or Sunday. For a game that counts for a lot (Giants said HF advantage was huge), a lot of players are missing due to injury, rest or ineligability. I think players that intend on not going or are on the DL, you should take your name off the ballot. They're over 80 players named now.

Weaver deserves to start...I'd have Verlander, but of course, he's inelgiable.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ring_of_fire
Any word on who'd starting for the NL yet? I'd love to see Jurrjens, basically because: A) I am a Braves fan B) It would be cool to have the starting battery be Jurrjens/McCann. But I fully expect Halladay start the game, which he's earned as well.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master_Live

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar11/news/story?id=6757564

Halladay to start for the NL.

Yanks2740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Yanks2740
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"]

Why only hate on jeter? Beltran got in over mccutchen.
GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GrindingAxe
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts
Jair should of started for obvious reasons.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TaCoDuDe

Jair should of started for obvious reasons.GrindingAxe

What would those reasons be?

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

too bad Verlander just pitched Sunday, it would have been cool to watch him start an All-Star game.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ring_of_fire

Jair should of started for obvious reasons.GrindingAxe
I think if anyone other than Halladay started, I'd be upset, but Halladay is putting up a great year. Yes, Jair has the lowest ERA, but Halladay is having a spectacular year, probably better overall than Jair.

(I secretly kind of hope Jair and Venters don't play. keep them fresh for the 2nd half )

GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GrindingAxe

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"]Jair should of started for obvious reasons.TaCoDuDe

Jair has the lowest era and the most wins. This formula has always been the decider when it comes to deciding which pitcher who is most deserving. He's not a household name...that's why he was denied the starter spot. People like you will come up with nitpicky reasons why he shouldn't be the starter but those reasons will ring hollow. Jair is the man!
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TaCoDuDe

[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"]Jair should of started for obvious reasons.GrindingAxe

Jair has the lowest era and the most wins. This formula has always been the decider when it comes to deciding which pitcher who is most deserving. He's not a household name...that's why he was denied the starter spot. People like you will come up with nitpicky reasons why he shouldn't be the starter but those reasons will ring hollow. Jair is the man!

Of that's right. I forgot about the WINZ. :roll:

GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GrindingAxe

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"][QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

TaCoDuDe

Why the rolly eyes? He accomplished those wins with an anemic offense..plus he started late in the season due to injury.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TaCoDuDe

[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"] Jair has the lowest era and the most wins. This formula has always been the decider when it comes to deciding which pitcher who is most deserving. He's not a household name...that's why he was denied the starter spot. People like you will come up with nitpicky reasons why he shouldn't be the starter but those reasons will ring hollow. Jair is the man!GrindingAxe

Why the rolly eyes? He accomplished those wins with an anemic offense..plus he started late in the season due to injury.

We're way past the point of judging pitchers by wins. It's a statistic that the pitcher has barely any control over. Maybe we should start Kevin Correia? He has just as many wins as Halladay. Wins are meaningless.

Halladay is the better pitcher. Far better strikeout rate, fewer walks, better FIP. 5.1(!) WAR versus 2.3.

And again, I'm a Braves fan, I love Jair. If Halladay wasn't around, Jair would be the pitcher I'd start. But he's not, and hasn't been, better than Halladay.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"] Jair has the lowest era and the most wins. This formula has always been the decider when it comes to deciding which pitcher who is most deserving. He's not a household name...that's why he was denied the starter spot. People like you will come up with nitpicky reasons why he shouldn't be the starter but those reasons will ring hollow. Jair is the man!GrindingAxe

Halladay also has a pretty inconsistent offense. And Doc leads in every other catagory. More K's, less walks, so a better BB/Walk ratio, better WHIP, FIP, less losses, etc. And he hasn't lost in 2 months,

Bochy said JJ was his second choice, and even JJ said himself it should be Halladay based on his season.

Wins don't mean much anymore. Look at last years AL Cy Young, or C.C not making the AS Team until yesterday and Romero making it on before him, with only 7 wins.

GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GrindingAxe

TaCoDuDe

We're way past the point of judging pitchers by wins. It's a statistic that the pitcher has barely any control over. Maybe we should start Kevin Correia? He has just as many wins as Halladay. Wins are meaningless.

Halladay is the better pitcher. Far better strikeout rate, fewer walks, better FIP. 5.1(!) WAR versus 2.3.

And again, I'm a Braves fan, I love Jair. If Halladay wasn't around, Jair would be the pitcher I'd start. But he's not, and hasn't been, better than Halladay.

Fine...we'll ignore the wins. Would you like to ignore the ERA too? You can be a dominant pitcher and not be a strikeout whore.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TaCoDuDe

[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"] Why the rolly eyes? He accomplished those wins with an anemic offense..plus he started late in the season due to injury.GrindingAxe

Fine...we'll ignore the wins. Would you like to ignore the ERA too? You can be a dominant pitcher and not be a strikeout whore.

I didn't ignore ERA, I just used a more accurate statistic, FIP.

Strikeout pitchers are generally more desireable than pitchers who pitch to contact. When you pitch to contact, you're susceptible to errors, bloop hits, fly balls turning into home runs, etc.

GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GrindingAxe

TaCoDuDe

Strikeout pitchers are generally more desireable than pitchers who pitch to contact. When you pitch to contact, you're susceptible to errors, bloop hits, fly balls turning into home runs, etc.

FIP....yeah that's new to me. I'm sure it explains a lot. Like why Mr. Hanson was snubbed out of a spot. Maybe his THY or DEDP wasn't up to snuff.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JohnBean42
[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"] Fine...we'll ignore the wins. Would you like to ignore the ERA too? You can be a dominant pitcher and not be a strikeout whore.GrindingAxe

FIP....yeah that's new to me. I'm sure it explains a lot. Like why Mr. Hanson was snubbed out of a spot. Maybe his THY or DEDP wasn't up to snuff.

I agree, Hanson was snubbed. Bochy was just taking his own guys...Vogelsong? Really?
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TaCoDuDe

[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"] Fine...we'll ignore the wins. Would you like to ignore the ERA too? You can be a dominant pitcher and not be a strikeout whore.GrindingAxe

Instead of immediately dismissing it, why not take a look at the definition? It's pretty simple: http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/pitching/fip/

Basically, pitchers have little control over what happens to a ball once the batter puts it in play. FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) focuses on what pitchers CAN control, strikeouts, walks, HBP's, and home runs. It's extremely useful as a predictive stat.

And yes, Hanson was snubbed.

GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GrindingAxe
Jair didn't get a low era because his defense was incredible behind him, he got a low era because he's a master at keeping hitters off balance. Maybe Jair gave up more walks but guess what...he got out of those jams. This fip stat sounds like a fantasy baseball stat which basically ignores some of Jair's strengths. Pitching to contact gets you dp's. Pitching to contact is an art(see 300 game winner Tom Glavine and to a degree... Greg Maddux).
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ring_of_fire
Jair didn't get a low era because his defense was incredible behind him, he got a low era because he's a master at keeping hitters off balance. Maybe Jair gave up more walks but guess what...he got out of those jams. This fip stat sounds like a fantasy baseball stat which basically ignores some of Jair's strengths. Pitching to contact gets you dp's. Pitching to contact is an art(see 300 game winner Tom Glavine and to a degree... Greg Maddux).GrindingAxe
Jair needs the defense, though, to be successful. I've been pleasantly surprised with the defense so far. I expected MUCH worse, especially with all the talk of Uggla having horrible defense abilities. But that's besides the point. He's successful because of the defense, because he is not a strikeout artist. As great as Jair is this season, He is playing over his head. I suspect he'll be a 2.60-3.20 range (maybe a little lower, or more) as career averages. Which still is respectable. Halladay (and I don't like to admit it) is the more talented pitcher based on pure stuff.
GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GrindingAxe
In the end...Jair will have the stats to back up a CY young award. He'll be robbed though because his strike out numbers aren't high enough. Sad. Reminds of when Roger Clemens got a CY with a 3.5+ era only because he got 20+ wins(which shouldn't matter according to some here) and 200+ strikeouts. I predict Jair will end the season with a sub 2.5 era. Lower than any other no pitcher. We'll see.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TaCoDuDe

Jair didn't get a low era because his defense was incredible behind him, he got a low era because he's a master at keeping hitters off balance. Maybe Jair gave up more walks but guess what...he got out of those jams. This fip stat sounds like a fantasy baseball stat which basically ignores some of Jair's strengths. Pitching to contact gets you dp's. Pitching to contact is an art(see 300 game winner Tom Glavine and to a degree... Greg Maddux).GrindingAxe

There are mountains of statistical evidence that proves that pitchers will revert to their FIP. There are a number of indidcators that suggest this for JJ. For one thing, his HR/FB rate (home runs per fly balls) is an unsustainably low 4.4%. Fly balls turn into home runs anywhere between 8-10 percents of the time, so as the season goes on, expect to see him give up a few more homers. Additionally, he leaves runners stranded 84% of the time, which is unsustainable.

Pitching to contact is a skill, and Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux were good at it. But their peripheral stats were not abnormal, like JJ's are currently. JJ is a very, very good pitcher, but he has been a bit lucky so far this year.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="GrindingAxe"]Jair didn't get a low era because his defense was incredible behind him, he got a low era because he's a master at keeping hitters off balance. Maybe Jair gave up more walks but guess what...he got out of those jams. This fip stat sounds like a fantasy baseball stat which basically ignores some of Jair's strengths. Pitching to contact gets you dp's. Pitching to contact is an art(see 300 game winner Tom Glavine and to a degree... Greg Maddux).TaCoDuDe

There are mountains of statistical evidence that proves that pitchers will revert to their FIP. There are a number of indidcators that suggest this for JJ. For one thing, his HR/FB rate (home runs per fly balls) is an unsustainably low 4.4%. Fly balls turn into home runs anywhere between 8-10 percents of the time, so as the season goes on, expect to see him give up a few more homers. Additionally, he leaves runners stranded 84% of the time, which is unsustainable.

Pitching to contact is a skill, and Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux were good at it. But their peripheral stats were not abnormal, like JJ's are currently. JJ is a very, very good pitcher, but he has been a bit lucky so far this year.

Watching Halladay for 12 years, he is also pitches to contact. Gives up a lot of hits, leading to more runs and ERA, but he also gets out of those jams because he also has pinpoint control and can strike people out if he needs too.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=6754658

Weaver set to start for the AL.

Master_Live

When you're the best pitcher in the majors, you should be starting.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 X360PS3AMD05
Tacodude once again, ding ding ding Halladay fo sho. The youngins are takin to sabrmetrics it brings a tear to ones eye :cry: ^ He isn't, fact!
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Master_Live
I will take the NL and their pitching.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JohnBean42
I will take the NL and their pitching. Master_Live
As will I, but when you got Cano batting 8th...that's impressive.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Hell of a catch by Bautista right there.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TaCoDuDe

I can't believe they said Adrian Gonzalez was the unquestioned AL MVP. That's ridiculous. Bautista has been better, easily.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ring_of_fire
I am finding this game very boring because of the announcers. Especially the one with the very monotone voice. I am secretly hoping that Venters and Kimbrel don't pitch :X
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I am finding this game very boring because of the announcers. Especially the one with the very monotone voice. I am secretly hoping that Venters and Kimbrel don't pitch :XRing_of_fire

Tim McCarver is awful. He suggested that Jeter's 3000th hit was purely a local New York thing. Yeah, because no one pays any attention to the Yankees outside of NY...

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ring_of_fire

[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]I am finding this game very boring because of the announcers. Especially the one with the very monotone voice. I am secretly hoping that Venters and Kimbrel don't pitch :Xyokofox33

Tim McCarver is awful. He suggested that Jeter's 3000th hit was purely a local New York thing. Yeah, because no one pays any attention to the Yankees outside of NY...

Both of them are horrible, and what a stupid interview.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Master_Live
My, Fielder has some power.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JohnBean42
[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]I am finding this game very boring because of the announcers. Especially the one with the very monotone voice. I am secretly hoping that Venters and Kimbrel don't pitch :XRing_of_fire

Both of them are horrible, and what a stupid interview.

I like listening to Gary Thorne and Rick Sutcliffe. So much better. I don't see how Bautsita was better. He made a great catch (and made all of Toronto hold their breath), but it was foul. Fielder is MVP right now, Gonzalez next then Halladay or Bautista.