Belichick Fined; Pats Lose Pick

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FuzionZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FuzionZX
Member since 2007 • 121 Posts
ESPN has confirmed that Belichick will be personally fined $500K and the Patroit organization will be fined $250K. If the patroits make the playoffs, the club will forfeit a first round draft pick. If not, they forfeit a second and third round draft picks. Thoughts?
Trendon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Trendon
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

As a Pats fan, I still think the rule is unnecassary, but it was/is a rule. That said, the penalty is fair. Mark my words, though, the Patriots will end up with a first-round draft pick even if they have to trade someone they don't want to. If anything I know about the Patriots in the 20 years I've been a fan, they are an arrogant sort and will do anything to make sure they are represented in the first round ... just to wink at the NFL.

FuzionZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FuzionZX
Member since 2007 • 121 Posts

Yeah, I just saw this too. Wow! $500K is huge and the maximum allowed by the NFL. Losing a draft pick is pretty bad, but I was hoping for something more immediate like Belichick getting suspended the way a player would be. luccaface

Same here

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

As a Pats fan, I still think the rule is unnecassary, but it was/is a rule. That said, the penalty is fair. Mark my words, though, the Patriots will end up with a first-round draft pick even if they have to trade someone they don't want to. If anything I know about the Patriots in the 20 years I've been a fan, they are an arrogant sort and will do anything to make sure they are represented in the first round ... just to wink at the NFL.

Trendon

They still have the niners' first round pick, so it's a very lax penalty IMO.

kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts
i say on top of that they forfeit their week 1 game as this penalty isnt severe enough money and draft picks while severe having an 0-1 record vs a 1-0 record would be a lot more harsh and prove cheating is unacceptable
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

That is a pretty wishy washy punishment. The money was harsh no doubt but the draft pick based on performance. Wha?

The coach should have been suspended just like any player would have been. The draft pick should have been 1st round period. Also the guy with the video tape should have been removed from the NFL permanently.

Trendon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trendon
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Likely, the reason for the lax penalty is that Goddell and the NFL probably couldn't ascertain exactly how many times they did this. I know everyone who doesn't root for the Patriots has suddenly started calling the 2001, 2003, and 2004 title years into question, but you can't say if they did it then or not. Likewise, you can't punish teams based on one (maybe two) times.

Thus, the NFL punished the Patriots based on one guarenteed violation (Jets) and one possible one (Packers, last year). I am sure the Patriots went into the meetings screaming about how the Dolphins purchased a tape (which I don't believe) of every word that came out of Brady's mouth during a game. I still maintain they were up to it themselves. Yet, you can't punish team based on what I, you, or the other teams said.

All in all, I think they got as much as they likely deserve. As a fan, I am pissed because did we really have to tape the **** Jets?

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts

That is a pretty wishy washy punishment. The money was harsh no doubt but the draft pick based on performance. Wha?

The coach should have been suspended just like any player would have been. The draft pick should have been 1st round period. Also the guy with the video tape should have been removed from the NFL permanently.

duxup
Strange eh? I think a 2nd and a 3rd rounder is more harsh than a 1st rounder. Especially considering the Patriots will probably get one of the last few picks in the first round.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Trendon

They still have a first round pick through the randy moss trade, so I guess its not so bad. But still to give up a first round pick that changes a lot of things. As far as trading to another team or getting a good player for that matter.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

It's a slap on the wrist IMO..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

New England, strengthened by the addition of Randy Moss and two other first-rate wide receivers as well as linebacker Adalius Thomas, is considered one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl for the fourth time since the 2001 season. If the Patriots lose their first-rounder next season they still will have a first-round pick, obtained from San Francisco in the deal that brought Moss from Oakland.

Sheesh - they have TWO 1st round picks next year, so if they get to the playoffs, they only lose one of their picks.

Fines mean NOTHING to these people...

The Commissioner didn't really hit them hard enough IMO.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#12 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
Like said in the other post, the only punishment should had been forfeiting the win against the team they did this against.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
The punishments are a joke, Belicheck should be getting a 4 game minimum suspension, they should lose their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks and the fines should be 500,000 for Belicheck and 1 million for the pats, and thats just the minimum they should be getting. Anyone else have a feeling Belicheck is going to get a $500,000 "performance bonus" at the end of the season?
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Netherscourge

The NFL just dropped a notch or two IMO as a superior Professional Sport.

I know every sport has it's share of scandals, but this is rediculous. The Patriots have done this in the past and have been WARNED in the past and the most they get hit with is possibly a 1st round pick, in a year when they have TWO 1st round picks and a couple sub-1million fines to a Multi-Million Dollar Coach and Franchise?

pfft - whatever

Oh well, atleast the New England Cheaters and Bill Bellicheat's reputations are forever tainted.

PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#15 PatsFanVince
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts

I know every sport has it's share of scandals, but this is rediculous. The Patriots have done this in the past and have been WARNED in the past and the most they get hit with is possibly a 1st round pick, in a year when they have TWO 1st round picks and a couple sub-1million fines to a Multi-Million Dollar Coach and Franchise?

pfft - whatever

Oh well, atleast the New England Cheaters and Bill Bellicheat's reputations are forever tainted.

Netherscourge

The only reason you even think that is because you hate the Pats but if it was any other team especially the Eagles you'd have a different tune. I think its a good punishment we lose a 1st rounder which is actually pretty harsh but fair and he gets fined done deal now time to move on and no nothing they've done in the past should be tainted because if they cheated all those years they would've won the last 6 out of 6 and they didn't.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Netherscourge
[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

pfft - whatever

PatsFanVince

The only reason you even think that is because you hate the Pats but if it was any other team especially the Eagles you'd have a different tune. I think its a good punishment we lose a 1st rounder which is actually pretty harsh but fair and he gets fined done deal now time to move on and no nothing they've done in the past should be tainted because if they cheated all those years they would've won the last 6 out of 6 and they didn't.

I would not be happy about this if it was the Eagles. I'd be embarrased and ashamed of the coach and I'd feel like I was cheated out of a true championship.

This isn't something you just forget about. The Patriots have apparently gone to great lengths to Cheat and if you think this is a one-time incident with the Patriots, your are crazy. Other teams and players are gonna snicker whenever they see the Patriots and they're gonna wonder if their calls or singals are being documented by them, or some other goofball idea Belichick comes up with to try to get a unfair advantage out of.

Everything the Patriots have accomplished under Bill Belichick is and will be tainted with doubt and skepticism.

MissPeanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MissPeanut
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts

Like said in the other post, the only punishment should had been forfeiting the win against the team they did this against.mrgab

Have to agree 100%

kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts

well now knowing they have other first round picks i agree even more this is far to light of a punishment and i had forgotten about the other times they were suspected of this same behavior

so in light that i change my idea of a punishment

no first round picks period the ones they have will be lotteryed off to other teams

at least a 4 game suspension of all the coaches invovled and higher ups or if it was a players idea suspend his butt too,plus the current fine to the coach(but give it to the others invovled)and team

forfeit TWO games this one and some other random one

this would truely show the NFL is still the most legit sport that puts up with the least crap and send a message loud and clear cheating is unacceptable, punishment like this would likely send a message to any future cheater wannabes maybe i should rethink this because i agree baseball basketball and hockey while fun are far too tainted backstage the NFL is the only one that seems to stay out of the backstage drama except a few people but overall it appears to be the most fun and clean to watch

the current punishment issued seems to do little to say cheating is not acceptable its almost like fining all of hollywood 10 million dollars hollywood would laugh at you and the patriots are probably laughing at the NFL commisioner as we speak.

if the idiots have the balls to do it again ban them from the playoffs for 2 years so even if they go 16-0 or 32-0they cannot enter the playoffs.

let these be the rules and i guarantee the cheating method that has been brought to light here will never ever be used again since clearly the NFL has proven they can catch this and would likely step up enforcement.

PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#19 PatsFanVince
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts
[QUOTE="PatsFanVince"][QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

pfft - whatever

Netherscourge

I would not be happy about this if it was the Eagles. I'd be embarrased and ashamed of the coach and I'd feel like I was cheated out of a true championship.

This isn't something you just forget about. The Patriots have apparently gone to great lengths to Cheat and if you think this is a one-time incident with the Patriots, your are crazy. Other teams and players are gonna snicker whenever they see the Patriots and they're gonna wonder if their calls or singals are being documented by them, or some other goofball idea Belichick comes up with to try to get a unfair advantage out of.

Everything the Patriots have accomplished under Bill Belichick is and will be tainted with doubt and skepticism.

I'm not happy about this and I'm not to happy with what Belichick did but what can you do when your a fan of the team that does something like this you can't just stop liking them and your crazy if you think those titles have been tarnished because if they are according to you so are the Broncos titles and the Steelers titles but no people still consider them as one of the best teams of that time just like the Patriots are still the best team of this time. Yea they could've cheated in the past I don't know but guess what neither does anyone else because theres no real proof. Moving on...

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I'm a Patriots fan, and I feel bad about this who;e situation. Honestly, I thought the punishment would be much more extreme for such blatant cheating. Bellicheck can afford to pay $500k, and $250k is nothing to a major sports team. The draft pick loss will hurt a bit, but in the end, really won't make a huge difference.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

[QUOTE="mrgab"]Like said in the other post, the only punishment should had been forfeiting the win against the team they did this against.MissPeanut

Have to agree 100%

Yep...

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
I'm a Patriots fan, and I feel bad about this who;e situation. Honestly, I thought the punishment would be much more extreme for such blatant cheating. Bellicheck can afford to pay $500k, and $250k is nothing to a major sports team. The draft pick loss will hurt a bit, but in the end, really won't make a huge difference.Cube_of_MooN
Belicheck won't pay a dime, he'll get a convenient $500,000 "perfomance bonus" at the end of the season.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

1- if anyone thinks the pats are the only ones that have done something like this, then wow
2- I dont even wanna hear how they dont deserve there 3 championships, please its one thing to "know the singals" the other part is execution. come on the last minute drives with brady were all him, the big catches, the tight spirals, the runs and blocks all players. Ward, brown from the eagles etc can make excuses, the Patriots won wether they like it or not.

3- Belicheck should have been suspended for 4 or 8 or maybe the entire season. If NFL wants to make a statement suspend the guy. Or make the PAts start 0-1 and give the jets a 1-0.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

pfft - whatever

Netherscourge

you can say the knew the signalsI highly doubt they got Superbowl singals though. security is very high during those games for anyone to sneak in that easily to get the signals. as both teams are usually warned alot.

second execution is the other thing. the scandal is bad, but in no way is Brady suddenly not one of the 2 best QBS in the league(its Peyton and Brady and there is no legit arguement to that), its not like Bruschi, Seymour, Harrison, etc are any less players.

It does mean that Belicheck isnt the genious he once was, i would question did he really make my colts and peyton manning look bad for real, or did he cheat in that one as well.

but in no way does there success suddenly vanish, there physical performance is enough to save that reputation if anything only belicheck and the coaching staff lost respect.
eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 eitremn
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts
the fact that they didn't even have to forfeit the win is absolutely rediculous. you cannot sit there and honestly say that this was the only incident, why the hell would the patriots think to themselves hmm... we got the jets coming up, we better find some way of cheating or we're gonna be in trouble this week, pff yeah right. it was just normal gametime stuff for them. i believe it absolutely taints the patriots, and it does a bit of explaining how Tom Brady and company have turned into such a potent offense. it's easy to put up all those points when you know what the defense is going to do.
-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -CC-
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts
Im a Broncos fan but Im NOT a Pats hater. This really makes me respect the Pats and their SB wins ALOT less. Knowing what D the other team is going to have out there is such a huge advantage that their SB wins are tainted IMO. Why were they caught week 1? Because of Mangini thats why. When he worked for NE years ago they did it and he knew what they were up to. He also knew the guy who was going to do the filming. I doubt he would ever come out and say it but I have little doubt he could say they were doing it during the SB years. I think this story is going to get worse for NE in the comming days.
-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -CC-
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts
double post
jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jimmygrace
Member since 2007 • 2405 Posts
I'm a Panthers fan and I keep thinking back to how 1 play could've lost or won us that Super Bowl, so I agree with the punishments.
Decessus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#29 Decessus
Member since 2003 • 5132 Posts

I disagree with the punishment, but not because I thought it was too harsh. Taking away a draft pick hurts the Patriots, but it also hurts some college kid as well. Instead of being taken in the first round (or the second and third) some college player may drop quite a bit further and lose out on a great deal of money.

Instead of losing draft picks, I think Coach Belichick should have been fined (which he was), the organization should have been fined (which I think it was as well), and Belichick should have been suspended for at least a couple of games.

piper77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 piper77
Member since 2003 • 2245 Posts

The punishment is severe for those who think it isn't. Not having picks in future drafts is going to have long lasting effects. You can't trade 'em, and use them for drafting somebody, because you're not going to have them. Look at our aging defense. Nobody can't tell me it's not going to hurt us, because it is. Bilichik has to pay the fine himself. He can't use anyone else's money. It's been stated his money and his money alone. Hitting somebody in the wallet, hurts them the most. Nobody likes to pay a fine, and half a million is plenty. So yeah the penalty was stiff, and us fans may not understand it, but other owners, teams and coaches do. The Patriots were made example of what would happened to you if you broke the rules. They know Godell meant business. Maybe it's not to your liking but people know exactly what the commissoner is trying to accomplish.

As far as forfeiting the game, I have never seen anyone forfeit a game, and don't it's never going to happen. This is because although they got caught filming the opossing teams signals, you can't prove that is the reason why the Patriots won. Also, taking a win and giving it to another team, isn't the fixing the game in itself?

I also want to say that the Patriots aren't the only team to steal signals. It happens in every sport, and with the majority of teams. In football specifically, it is common for a coach to assign an asistant to watch the other teams's sideline to try and figure out their signals, but they don't go around filming it, which I think was a very stupid thing for the Patriots to do. That was the only thing they did wrong.

matsterJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 matsterJ
Member since 2007 • 437 Posts

Wow as a die-hard pats fan i'm pretty pissed at the pats. Any way those are some pretty harsh pentelys.

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
Like said in the other post, the only punishment should had been forfeiting the win against the team they did this against.mrgab
You want the Giants to forfeit the 2 Super Bowl titles Belichick helped them win?
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

pfft - whatever

Netherscourge

Man...stop this. Even I am a little ashamed of the Pats right now, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to cheat in Super Bowl. You guys just lost to a good team.

Also, anyone who said that losing a first pick means nothing to patriots don't know football. Have you seen our LBs. All of them are 30+. Not only that our OL is getting too old. With two first rounds, Pats could have addressed these issues, but now they only have one. This is a big blow.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#34 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts

[QUOTE="mrgab"]Like said in the other post, the only punishment should had been forfeiting the win against the team they did this against.bunchofpixels
You want the Giants to forfeit the 2 Super Bowl titles Belichick helped them win?

Was anyone caught cheating in those games? no. Was anyone caught cheating in the NE/NYJ game, yes.

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
If the Patriots get outplayed by the Chargers, a lot of people will start to question just how good the Patriots are and were in previous years. I honestly don't think the punishment was harsh enough; Belichick should be suspended for a while and - although this seems excessively malicious - the Pats should probably be forced to forfeit the Jets game. No first-round draft loss. And especially no fines, because that hardly constitutes a substantial punishment.