AFC Championship -- Chargers at Patriots

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts

The stage is set for a week 2 rematch, a game in which the Chargers were completely blown out, 38-14. That was a completely different Chargers team, as they are now firing on all cylinders. However, they are riddled with injuries, and have to go up against the 17-0 Patriots. Not only that, but the game is in New England. Can the Chargers even keep it close?

Not so fast, my friend. The Patriots are very good, but this is the playoffs and anything can happen. Assuming Rivers, Gates, and LT are all healthy, this should be a close game. It's a very tall order to go into NE and win a playoff game, but it's certainly possible.

The game is Sunday, January 20th at 3 PM ET.

Game preview

manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

It's no Patriots vs Colts, but *sighs*, it'll have to do.

I'll go with the upset and pick the Pats.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
I think the Pats will win. Chargers are definitely good, but the Pats are just a whole different monster. But who knows, San Diego might pull another shocker.
rabidwolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rabidwolf86
Member since 2004 • 743 Posts
i think credit should go to the chargers no one gave 'em a shot at winning and they did it without rivers or tomlinson. reality check though any other team and i give 'em a fair shot to win but i cannot see the bolts going to gilette stadium and not making game costly mistakes.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts
WTF? I just saw ESPN and the championship games in both the NFC and AFC are a rematch of Week 2 :| and both of those games were blowouts. Not only that, almost the same score 35-13, 38-14. Creepy if you ask me.
HurricaneHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HurricaneHugo
Member since 2002 • 40807 Posts
Remember that we didn't have Chambers back then and Cromartie has emerged as a top cornerback since then.
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

God I'm still trying to get over the fact that the Chargers beat the Colts, I can't believe it.

WTF? I just saw ESPN and the championship games in both the NFC and AFC are a rematch of Week 2 :| and both of those games were blowouts. Not only that, almost the same score 35-13, 38-14. Creepy if you ask me.D3s7rUc71oN

WHOA! Your right, thats crazy!

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21705 Posts
I'm honestly not surprised that the Chargers won. They've had the edge over the Colts for the last few years now, and Manning has always choked in the playoffs aside from last year's AFC championship. As for beating the Patriots, I have a hard time seeing it won by a banged up Chargers group.
Just_Osmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Just_Osmo
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
Pats all the way. People use the momentum reason for other teams well how about the pats who havent lost momentum yet ;-)
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
I think Patriots have this in the bag, but you are right about one thing: anything can happen, but I think our spread offense can exploit Chargers' bad secondary and exploit the Gates injury to their advantage. Even if Gates decide to suit up, he lost a lot of explosiveness and won't be a much factor.
fallofmanps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fallofmanps3
Member since 2007 • 6803 Posts

Patriots win 31-38W

KingOfKonging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KingOfKonging
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

this should be a close game.murlow12

Lol, good luck man.

Seriously, good luck, hahaha.

KingOfKonging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KingOfKonging

Patriots win 31-38W

fallofmanps3

BACKWARDS NUMBERS *mind explodes*.

Forget the way you faced the numbers, mine are 34 - 17.

Pats.

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I am going with the Pats 31-21. Close at the half, maybe 14-14, but the Pats will pull away in the second half. That day is supposed to be bitterly cold too, I heard a high of 15 (long range forcast though...) which may hurt the warm weather Chargers. But hey, jacksonville, a Florida team, beat Pittsburgh in the cold, so anything can happen.
haterex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 haterex
Member since 2004 • 2410 Posts

My Pick: Teh Patriots...

ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
Pats but Pats will lose to the Packers in the Super Bowl. I think people are underestimating the Packers, they have agreat defense and a greatoffense and unlike the Colts, Chargers etc, everyone is healthy, Favre has a lot more options than Brady with Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, Lee and Ryan Grant has been the hottest RB since midseason. They also have the best cornerback tandem in the league with Harris and Woodson.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I think New England will continue to win.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I could see the Colts making a game of it with NE not the Chargers. Although I honestly didn't think JAX would hang with them as long as they did either.
gatorforlife07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 gatorforlife07
Member since 2007 • 1098 Posts

Pats should win easily 38-14

manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 manningbowl135
I'm honestly not surprised that the Chargers won. They've had the edge over the Colts for the last few years now, and Manning has always choked in the playoffs aside from last year's AFC championship. As for beating the Patriots, I have a hard time seeing it won by a banged up Chargers group. Renegade_Fury

Yep he choked. 33-48 for 402 yards and 3 TDs. Both interceptions were tipped. He made two great throws in the last drive that were first downs and were dropped. Wayne's one was a big hit, but Clark just dropped it. Ugoh let Merriman go at the drive before.The Colts lost b/c every time Manning drove them down the field, and he did it often, the receivers let him down. 3 straight golden scoring opportunities ruined by fumble, tipped ball, tipped ball. The defense sucked too. Manning dominated the Chargers in that game. Watch what he did, not what his reputation WAS.
Other than Brady, he gave the best QB performance of the weekend. But as football is a team sport, you just can't win when your defense can't stop the other team's backup QB and RB, your run game doesn't work and your receivers make crucial mistakes. Manning was the only one who played a great game through and through, but if nothing else is working, even he can't pull it off.
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#22 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts

Yep he choked. 33-48 for 402 yards and 3 TDs. Both interceptions were tipped. He made two great throws in the last drive that were first downs and were dropped. Wayne's one was a big hit, but Clark just dropped it. Ugoh let Merriman go at the drive before.The Colts lost b/c every time Manning drove them down the field, and he did it often, the receivers let him down. 3 straight golden scoring opportunities ruined by fumble, tipped ball, tipped ball. The defense sucked too. Manning dominated the Chargers in that game. Watch what he did, not what his reputation WAS.
Other than Brady, he gave the best QB performance of the weekend. But as football is a team sport, you just can't win when your defense can't stop the other team's backup QB and RB, your run game doesn't work and your receivers make crucial mistakes. Manning was the only one who played a great game through and through, but if nothing else is working, even he can't pull it off.
manningbowl135

Right there was the key for the lose, those tips. Not like Manning can stop a defense from making a good/lucky play on the ball.

Just_Osmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Just_Osmo
Manning didn't Choke the Team did. The better team lost in that game.
Luke-85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Luke-85
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts

I think Patriots have this in the bag, but you are right about one thing: anything can happen, but I think our spread offense can exploit Chargers' bad secondary and exploit the Gates injury to their advantage. Even if Gates decide to suit up, he lost a lot of explosiveness and won't be a much factor. dkhw

Bad secondary? They have the best corner in the League.

Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts
Patriots will probably win by atleast two TDs and LT will be upset again during the postgame interviews. :?
Luke-85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Luke-85
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts
Agree ^
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 manningbowl135

Manning didn't Choke the Team did. The better team lost in that game. Just_Osmo

I wouldn't say that. The Colts I think are the better team, but on Sunday they weren't. That defense didn't even resemble a good D. Sanders sucked. Not how a DPOY sucks, just sucked. Receivers sucked, blockers wore down later in the game and overall execution was just messy and not Colts like at all. They lost b/c they were the worse team on Sunday.

By the end it was painful to watch. Volek, Rivers getting all the time in the world. Sanders may be the DPoY, but that defense is based on pressure. They really missed one of the most disruptive force in Freeney today. Mathis just can't do what he does when he's doubled.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 murlow12
Manning didn't Choke the Team did. The better team lost in that game. Just_Osmo
Nobody choked, the Chargers just found a way to win. Good teams do that.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts

hmm, this should be a great game, personally i think the pats will win

who do you have winning this game?!?!

Padrepride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 Padrepride
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

Contrary to popular belief, I believe this will be a close game. Both teams are riding momentum, the Patriots obviously with a little more. Reports out of San Diego is that Phillip Rivers is day to day, Antonio Gates is out, and L.T. and Antonio Cromartie are probable. Filling in at tight end will be a combination of Brandon Malumaleuna and Naanee from Boise State. I think if San Diego can dominate in the trenches, and hit Brady up a few times, they can stay in this game and have a chance to pull the upset of centuries. Go Chargers!

king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
Upset!!!!!! Go Chargers
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
pats are gonna win. Chargers have a banged up lt, rivers, gates, neal....even at full strength they'd still probably lose
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
I really want to say the chargers but if LT and Rivers are still injured I really don't see the chargers winning
murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 murlow12

hmm, this should be a great game, personally i think the pats will win

who do you have winning this game?!?!

BeanTownBrown86

Are you asking me? If so, I think the Pats will win, but not by 2 TDs. I'm taking the Chargers and getting the 14 points for sure. The Chargers can win, but only if they have a +2 turnover margin and Rivers plays very well. I don't see that happening, but of course I hope it does.

Then again, I said I thought the Colts would win, so I hope I'm wrong again.

hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hellfire9988
Member since 2006 • 1136 Posts

Bu bu bu teh Spygate
Bu bu bu teh Tom Brady, iz 2 good
Bu bu bu teh Bellichick
Bu bu bu teh homeyfield vantage iz no fair

Pats win 31-10.

Brady: 25-32 304 yds, 3 TD 1 int.

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

Hmm the perfect pats or the banged up bolts??? Im gunna have to go with pats.

I honestly wasnt suprised by them beating the colts. They have had the colts number for quite awhile. I think they have one 10 out of there last 12 meeting. I know its something like that. Anyways, I just dont see the chargers beating the pats with all there injuries. Of course we dont know who is actualy going to play but say they all do. At what percent are they??? Patriots run game has finally taken off again as well. So brady doesnt always have to throw. Even though I know he would rather throw it 100% of the time.

Score pats 35 - chargers 17.

patriots2871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 patriots2871
Member since 2007 • 21445 Posts

patriots win 35-17

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cube_of_MooN
My Maddon 08 says 31-21 Pats. :P
Padrepride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Padrepride
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

I think people are seriously underrating the Chargers defense. They have a solid secondary with Cromartie picking everything off, running them back, and returning field goals for 109 yards, and then they have the intense linebacking corps with Merriman, Phillips and rookies Eric Weddle and Matt Wilhelm.If the Bolts can get away and score with a couple of turnovers, they'll have a chance.

Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts

I think people are seriously underrating the Chargers defense. They have a solid secondary with Cromartie picking everything off, running them back, and returning field goals for 109 yards, and then they have the intense linebacking corps with Merriman, Phillips and rookies Eric Weddle and Matt Wilhelm.If the Bolts can get away and score with a couple of turnovers, they'll have a chance.

Padrepride
but see thats the problem, the pats dont turn the ball over, theres just to many weapons and the maroneys starting to run the ball well, and they take what a team does best and forces you to do something else, with gates havin that busted up toe and rivers being rivers you have to pick the pats to win this one, if the chargers play with the same intensity the game will be close until the last 5 minutes, if anything i see the pats winning this game by 6-10 points
cvasquez311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cvasquez311
Member since 2004 • 962 Posts
Chargers defense is playing really well right now... with merriman applying pressure to brady (all they need to keep things even) I call an upset (or at least I hope one occurs). We'll see what happens.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cube_of_MooN

Padrepride

The Chargers do have a good defense, but you have to remember they are playing one of the best QB's of all time. I'm not saying they won't force any turnovers, as they likely will, but I think Tom can surgically tear it apart similarly to last time. If they cover the long ball, Tom will throw screens and dumps. If they cover the short ball, there's always running with Maroney or the occasional play to Moss. The only way they will be able to beat the Pats is if they get to Brady, quickly and efficiently. A lot too.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 murlow12
[QUOTE="Padrepride"]

BeanTownBrown86
but see thats the problem, the pats dont turn the ball over, theres just to many weapons and the maroneys starting to run the ball well, and they take what a team does best and forces you to do something else, with gates havin that busted up toe and rivers being rivers you have to pick the pats to win this one, if the chargers play with the same intensity the game will be close until the last 5 minutes, if anything i see the pats winning this game by 6-10 points

The Patriots are +9 in turnover margin (24-15), which the Chargers are +24 (48-24). It's the #1 team in forcing turnovers against the team that turns it over least. Something's got to give here.
thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts
San Diego Super Chargers! Meh I think its possible.
usBATTLEmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 usBATTLEmc
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think the pats are gunna win but I hate them so im rooting for the chargers.
Just_Osmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Just_Osmo
[QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"][QUOTE="Padrepride"]

murlow12

The Patriots are +9 in turnover margin (24-15), which the Chargers are +24 (48-24). It's the #1 team in forcing turnovers against the team that turns it over least. Something's got to give here.

Since historically this season the Patriots are the team that is not giving way here I see the Chargers being the one giving way.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 murlow12
[QUOTE="murlow12"][QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"][QUOTE="Padrepride"]

Just_Osmo

Since historically this season the Patriots are the team that is not giving way here I see the Chargers being the one giving way.

That's pretty flawed logic. The Chargers haven't "given way" in 8 games, either. I understand that the Pats have done something nobody else has ever done*, but 8 wins in a row is pretty impressive as well. Not to mention that the Chargers are much more dominant in taking away the ball then the Pats are in holding onto it (again, look at the margins). I still think the Chargers have to play near flawless to win, but simply saying that the Pats are going to win b/c they're 16-0* is silly.
Just_Osmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Just_Osmo
[QUOTE="Just_Osmo"][QUOTE="murlow12"][QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"][QUOTE="Padrepride"]

murlow12

That's pretty flawed logic. The Chargers haven't "given way" in 8 games, either. I understand that the Pats have done something nobody else has ever done*, but 8 wins in a row is pretty impressive as well. Not to mention that the Chargers are much more dominant in taking away the ball then the Pats are in holding onto it (again, look at the margins). I still think the Chargers have to play near flawless to win, but simply saying that the Pats are going to win b/c they're 16-0* is silly.

I never said anything about 16-0. Why don't you stop putting words into my mouth. I said historically this season they have not been the ones giving in, thay have been the ones that step it up every single game period. The Charger's may have been stepping it up as of late, but unlike the Patriot's they have given in.

This was all in responce to you saying somethings got to give. I simply am saying the Pat's haven't yet given in. But the Chargers have.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 murlow12

I never said anything about 16-0. Why don't you stop putting words into my mouth. I said historically this season they have not been the ones giving in, thay have been the ones that step it up every single game period. The Charger's may have been stepping it up as of late, but unlike the Patriot's they have given in.Just_Osmo

The Patriots have not "given in" this season = The Patriots are 16-0*

:|

KingOfKonging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KingOfKonging

That asterisk thing is so, so played.

An asterisk for trying to cheat but not actually giving the team an unfair advantage at ANY point in the season?

Hahaha, I don't have any problem with that asterisk, no sensible person does. Probably why no one in the media is talking about it anymore, at all.

Man, the the Pats earning the first 16-0 regular season ever must really, really bother you.... but if putting an asterisk after the record makes it an easier pill to swallow then by all means be my guest.