kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Let's face it, Sonic games aren't exactly known for their great storytelling. Like most early games of the 8 and 16 bit era, the stories were usually minimal mostly boiling down to "Eggman kidnaps animals to make robots. Sonic goes to save the day." And most story was told mostly in a page in the game manual or a short in game cutscene.

Then around time of Sonic Adventure and gaming was going the more cinematic route, Sega instead of following Nintendo and continuing to focus on gameplay, decided to jump on the "epic story" bandwagon with the PS1 games and while there have been valiant attempts and interesting concepts, too often Sonic stories are plagued with bad writing, horrible dialouge and terrible translation. So I want to make a list of "Top 10 Worst Sonic storylines" well because it's been a while since I had something to really rant about. First a couple things.

I don't really hold anything against most of the early Sonic games. After all 16 bit era gaming was still pretty light on story and the games that did have a strong story like FFVI did it well and in those days game were trying to be GAMES not interactive movies.

The two Adventure games I also forgive because their stories weren't horrible. They at least tried though Adventure 1 still suffers from terrible dialouge and the fact the characters all talk like sock puppets except for Sonic who has weird facial twitches. Adventure 2 definitely had more realistic talking animations and voice work and most fans consider it the most competent story outside SatAM or the comics. Unleashed even was halfway decent not trying to be too goofy or too serious. Colors and Generations might not have strong storytelling but at least both are willing to make fun of themselves which gets them a pass as well. They knew their plots were contrived and silly and make fun of it.

But here are my picks for "Worst Sonic Story"

Sonic Labyrinth: Yeah I know, we shouldn't go after earlier games with nearly non existent plots but reading the manual and back of the box that "Robotnick stuck a magic pair of shoes on Sonic to make him slow." is so much fail. If Eggman was able to sneak into Sonic's house, put magic shoes on him, why didn't he just capture him or kill him. Why toss him into a maze world for him to escape from?

Sonic CD: While the original triliogy was "Robotnick kidnaps animals, Sonic goes to save them" this one got sort of weird involving Robotnick chaining a small planet to Mobius that has time travel properties and you can warp to another area with flying saucers to get magical time stones and Sonic can jump through time like in Quantum Leap and often like in said show he jumps when he doesn't want to and doesn't end up where he wants. And it's never explained why Amy (called Princess Sally in the US manual) is there or why Sonic would save her other than to introduce the "token female" to the Sonic series. At least Tails could fly a plane.

Sonic Rivals: According to Cloud: Eggman has a magical gun that turns people into cards.....-_- yeah. Why? I can only assume he's going to take these cards to the Yu Gi Oh universe and sell them to the duelers to convince them they're super rare duel cards and see if their stupid enough to buy into it. Any Yu Gi Oh! fans want to comment?

Sonic Riders...any: Seriously does anyone remember any plot to a Riders game other than something to get everyone to have a hoverboard race? This goes back to my question as to why racing games not called Mario Kart feel the need to have a plot to explain why they're racing. Modnation Racers and Diddy Kong Racing are offenders in this too. Anyway since the first one was the only one I played. 3 birds ride around on hoverboards and have a magical cube. Eggman wants to have a race where the winner gets Chaos Emeralds and the birds want to use it to bring back an ancient floating city with a mysterious treasure....*yawn* zzzzzzzzzz

Shadow the Hedgehog: Aliens come to Earth and start attacking. Shadow stands around brooding and being emo along with shooting guns and saying "damn" because he has plot convient amnesia. Shadow's caught between Eggman, Black Doom, a nutjob of a General and Sonic all telling him what to do while Shadow figures out why he was still around after SA2.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for me the still top pick for "Worst Sonic Story" full of some of the most contrived s*** ever. Trying to be this Final Fantasy epic story with action, time travel and romantic beastiality. With our Mary Sue Princess who never cried her whole life despite both her parents dying as a child but will cry over the death of some blue hedgehog she knew for 3 days meanwhile Potleaf the Porcupine tries his best to kill Sonic. Shadow is slightly less emo and the rest of the game has plotholes big enough to drive a mack truck through.

So those are a few of my memorably bad plots. Anyone want to offer theirs?

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
No offense, really. I just want to ask, how many of these have you actually played? Of all of those, '06 takes the cake, by a very long shot.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#3 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Even though I never played Sonic Next Gen it has such a strange story thats all over the place.
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts
Never played Sonic 06 (though getting the courage to if able to get PS3) but that and Shadow the "Rabid" Hedgehog gets my vote.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
Sonic 06 definitely takes the cake for me on worst story in a Sonic game.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Eh, I'd give my worst pick to Shadow. If you look at the plot skeleton for the games, Sonic 06 is actually a pretty decent idea, and the time loops and stuff are, for the most part, kept stable. Sure, in the execution it basically became "Elise is randomly kidnapped a lot time beast chaos emeralds and some explosions," but had they, like, a couple more years it could have been good. With Shadow, on the other hand, they basically ruined Shadow. In SA2, he was a genetic creation that learned how to care about people over the course of the game and eventually sacrificed himself. In Heroes, they created this enigma of "did he live or is he a clone?" that could have played out in a couple of interesting ways, especially given Shadow's tendency for identity crises. In Shadow, they said "nope he lived and by the way aliens!" >_>
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

Sonic Rivals: According to Cloud: Eggman has a magical gun that turns people into cards.....-_- yeah. Why? I can only assume he's going to take these cards to the Yu Gi Oh universe and sell them to the duelers to convince them they're super rare duel cards and see if their stupid enough to buy into it. Any Yu Gi Oh! fans want to comment?kbaily

Actually,it was a camera,and he try's turning the entire world into a card.The awesome thing about the story,however,is that it isn't Eggman,but [spoiler] Eggman Nega.Who else is crazy enough to do such a thing? [/spoiler]

Also,while I said before I hardly judge storys,Sonic 06,not because of "bestiality" or the like,but because of the dumb time-travel plotholes,like how Silver destroyed the series canon by giving Elise the chaos emerald.In my personal canon for the Sonic series(which somehow includes M&S in the timeline,showing how lol worthy it is),Elise somehow loses the emerald, Sonic 1-Riders happen,and then she finds it again. 

Still,it kept me interested enough to beat it,and had its moments(come on,that last cutscene with Shadow was way,way past cool).Better games like Sonic Advance 2 I yet to finish since..well..its a pretty common story.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 macrules_640
Couldn't be anymore wackier than what Robotnik did during AOSTH.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

Actually,it was a camera,and he try's turning the entire world into a card.The awesome thing about the story,however,is that it isn't Eggman,but *spoiler tag* 

SuperSmashBro1

Which, if you've played Sonic Rush, makes no sense whatsoever.

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuperSmashBro1

[QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"]

Actually,it was a camera,and he try's turning the entire world into a card.The awesome thing about the story,however,is that it isn't Eggman,but *spoiler tag* 

sonictrainer

Which, if you've played Sonic Rush, makes no sense whatsoever.

There's actually a possibility that there are two Eggman Negas,one from the future,and one from another dimension.Either that,or the Sonic canon changes for different characters.I mean,all of the characters that know of his future origin don't know of his alternate dimension origin,which is basically all the characters that don't appear in Rush.

Either way,I suppose we'll never get an answer until someone important at Sega says something about it.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Given that Sega hasn't really done anything with Rivals since then, and Eggman Nega's sole appearance since then was a repeat of his SOnic Rush role in Sonic Rush Adventure, or so I've heard, I get the feeling it'll either be unresolved or given a slight plot appearance for Sonic Generations 2 in 20 years.
Sonic2forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Sonic2forever
Member since 2010 • 246 Posts
Either '06 because I never liked how little the Sonic characters had to do with the main story, or Heroes, which had literally no story until Last Story. I never liked how Adventure 2 was so dark. SA1 and Unleashed had a dark plot acted out in a lighthearted manner, SA2 was a mess of governments, death and the stupid idea that Shadow can be easily mistaken for Sonic.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#14 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

You know we all totally forgot about Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood though it's not a horrible story, just really really boring. And wouldn't be so bad except that Bioware, who are usually great storytellers were behind it. Seriously the game was so forgetable we often forget to talk about it. At least 06 was so memorably bad. But Bioware with the entire Sonic universe to work with basically came up with "Echidnas from space." Like I said, it's not even that it's bad, it's just boring.

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SuperSmashBro1
Talking hedgehogs make it exciting.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 macrules_640
At least Bioware made an effort to make a good story out of a Sonic game. :P
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts

I would have to say Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed or Shadow the Hedgehog. 

They all have terribly written stories.  

NintEllzolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NintEllzolo
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
It's still better than repeating the same story, like they did with Mario.