Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
Now, Chaos Emerald has a nice ring to it. However it's an interesting thing to note that, if I recall correctly, an emerald is a gem of deep green coloration. However a Chaos Emerald can and will be any color, such as red, purple, turquoise, and even clear/white. So why did they choose to call the gems emeralds? Their shape is easily more reminiscent of a diamond, and by their colorations they would be more correctly just collectively addressed as gems. Now I've never really read the comics mind you, so if there's an explanation there, I don't know about it. But what do you feel the reasoning behind calling these powerful gems 'Chaos Emeralds'? For that matter, why did they have to be gems? Why couldn't they be something else? Feel free to share any input on the subject.
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 mariostar0001
Member since 2009 • 46245 Posts
Because Chaos Emeralds sounds better then Chaos Diamonds or Chaos Gems. Though that might just five years (For me) of saying Chaos Emeralds. Better answer: Why not? It's crazy, it's fantastic (Fantasy), and it works in the context the game is set in.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b8af105f0309
deactivated-5b8af105f0309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#3 deactivated-5b8af105f0309
Member since 2009 • 15801 Posts
Because it just sounds cool that way.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

Now I've never really read the comics mind you, so if there's an explanation there, I don't know about it. Cloud_765

Well.... :D

On Mobius all of the Chaos Emeralds that can be found are Green, including the Master Emerald.

Sonic 216

After the battle in #125 which resulted with Sonic landing on another planet, he found that their Chaos Emeralds were red.

When he tried to use them to become Super Sonic, they made Super Sonic a seperate being. Unfortunately, Super Sonic believed that good and evil didn't exist, only Chaos. So he went on a rampage and tried to destroy the planet's moons. He disappeared after his time limit went up.

Sonic 169

In #169, one of Robotnik's creations, known as A.D.A.M. used Tails and Shadow as a power supply for his Chaos Emerald magnet. This magnet collected all the Chaos Emeralds from Mobius (except the Master Emerald) and 6 other locations in the universe. While Super Sonic was busy fighting Super A.D.A.M, Turbo Tails and Super Shadow sent all the emeralds into the Zone of Silence.

In the following issue, Sonic and Tails went into the Zone of Silence to get a Chaos Emerald to save the King. They found out that Feist, a powerful entity that lives in the zone had used their power to reshape the zone. He had also converted them into 7 emeralds, instead of thousands.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mariostar0001
And the other universes happened to call a gem of a different color an emerald?
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Basically it goes back to the early Genesis days. While the original Sonic the Hedgehog was a good game, it's not overly challenging. You could breeze through it in a couple of hours. The first time I played it I breezed along until Labrynth zone adn that was just because they had the idea to stick Sonic underwater to slow him down and lose air. So while the levels themselves did have replayability with their multiple paths, they wanted to create some incentive for players to return to the game so having the special zones with shiny stones was an extra incentive.

Of course in the first game they didn't do much aside from an extra ending where the flowers look all weird so in Sonic 2, they added an emerald with the bonus of Sonic having a super powerful form as well as later games had a bonus level and ending for finding them all and the challenge of the old Sonic games was finding the emeralds.

Then in the jump to 3D and more exploratory platforming games, Sega changed the emeralds to a plot device. Mario has to find stars. Banjo finds golden puzzle pieces. Link finds gold triangles and shiny spirit gems, etc. Of course they started borrowing from DBZ too in the Emeralds being like the Dragon's balls :P

Seanronnie22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Seanronnie22
Member since 2005 • 4504 Posts

[QUOTE="Cloud_765"] Now I've never really read the comics mind you, so if there's an explanation there, I don't know about it. sonictrainer

Well.... :D

On Mobius all of the Chaos Emeralds that can be found are Green, including the Master Emerald.

Sonic 216

After the battle in #125 which resulted with Sonic landing on another planet, he found that their Chaos Emeralds were red.

When he tried to use them to become Super Sonic, they made Super Sonic a seperate being. Unfortunately, Super Sonic believed that good and evil didn't exist, only Chaos. So he went on a rampage and tried to destroy the planet's moons. He disappeared after his time limit went up.

Sonic 169

In #169, one of Robotnik's creations, known as A.D.A.M. used Tails and Shadow as a power supply for his Chaos Emerald magnet. This magnet collected all the Chaos Emeralds from Mobius (except the Master Emerald) and 6 other locations in the universe. While Super Sonic was busy fighting Super A.D.A.M, Turbo Tails and Super Shadow sent all the emeralds into the Zone of Silence.

In the following issue, Sonic and Tails went into the Zone of Silence to get a Chaos Emerald to save the King. They found out that Feist, a powerful entity that lives in the zone had used their power to reshape the zone. He had also converted them into 7 emeralds, instead of thousands.

Never new that :shock:
Sonic2forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Sonic2forever
Member since 2010 • 246 Posts

It's like the Matrix of Leadership or the AllSpark...

Macguffin!

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Because any other name would be rubbish, and emeralds sound awesome.

Okay, I don't really know, but emeralds has a nicer tune than any other jewel based name. Especially with the word Chaos.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts
Jewels with that much power than, yes, I say it fits quite perfectly.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

Jewels with that much power than, yes, I say it fits quite perfectly.white_kunoichi

They also can cause trouble, when a villain uses them. Also, don't forget the Time Stones from CD and the Power Gems (name might be incorrect) from Knuckles Chaotix.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts

[QUOTE="white_kunoichi"]Jewels with that much power than, yes, I say it fits quite perfectly.sonictrainer

They also can cause trouble, when a villain uses them. Also, don't forget the Time Stones from CD and the Power Gems (name might be incorrect) from Knuckles Chaotix.

Chaos Rings is from Chaotix.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#13 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
But my question is why'd they have to be jewels? I mean it's ALMOST ALWAYS JEWELS now... Is jewelery really that important? xD
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mariostar0001
Yes, because as everyone knows, shiny rocks are really, really important.