Sonic is in Smash Bros. 4 (SSB Wii U/3DS Official Thread)

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Everyone breathe a sigh of relief because Sonic IS returning to Smash Bros. I know some of us did worry that despite Sega's exclusive Sonic deal with Nintendo, rumors of roster cuts and limited 3rd party characters in the game had some Sonic fans worried. But Nintendo confirmed it in their recent direct.

Sonic_70746_embed.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sonic-confirmed-for-new-smash-bros-6415163

But let's just get it out of the way now. NONE OF SONIC'S FRIENDS ARE GOING TO BE PLAYABLE. Given Sakurai said only a few 3rd party characters will be in this, we shouldn't hold our breath for Tails or Knuckles. There's always hope of assist trophies and we can speculate on what stage we'll have for Sonic this time, what tracks will be used, etc.

sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

Sonic joins the SSB Again

Sonic in a Windy Hill Stage

Sonic in SSB 3DS

http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/sonic.html 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kbaily

Well I expected this. Sonic's stage is based off Lost World which makes sense as it is a Nintendo exclusive game and all. I wonder what the 3DS Sonic stage will be?

Also if there's one thing I'd like to see them do for Sonic is, better alternate skins for him. We were all annoyed that Sonic's alternates were just green, red and black armbands and shoes. Who wouldn't want to see a Shadow recolor for Sonic? I mean we have Dark Link and classic Wario?

Also I think we're at least hoping Knuckles or Tails might be an assist this time.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Actually, I still think Shadow's a better assist trophy. Tails as an assist wouldn't really have anything to do (what, summon toy robots to fight?) and anything Knuckles would do is kind of already being done by Knuckle Joe. I'd say Little Mac too, but I'm still thinking he just might be a newcoming playable...
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts
Actually, I'm quite not surprised. I had a feeling Sonic was gonna be in it.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

I hear Jason Era Sonic sound clips..hopefully thats just for the trailer.Eitherway,now we can have him and Megaman battle :D

...or have him and Megaman team up and beat the Mario Bros.Even better.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
I heard nothing but Roger voice clips. I don't know where you get Jason from.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperSmashBro1
I heard nothing but Roger voice clips. I don't know where you get Jason from.Soniczero1993
0:24 sounds exactly like Sonic in Brawl,although now that I listened again I heard Roger a few seconds before that.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kbaily

[QUOTE="Soniczero1993"]I heard nothing but Roger voice clips. I don't know where you get Jason from.SuperSmashBro1
0:24 sounds exactly like Sonic in Brawl,although now that I listened again I heard Roger a few seconds before that.

Who the hell cares? It's not like this has a really deep story with tons of voice acting anyway. It was like in Brawl when fans petitioned to get Ryan Drummond back and in the end, Sonic only had a few lines in Brawl anyway.

Also how the hell can anyone tell anything from a couple tiny grunts or are Sonic fans that anal? And honestly guys, I thought we were over the whole "voice actors ruined" Sonic thing.

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperSmashBro1

But those lines were so painful to hear...

*Plays Brawl again*

Okay,nevermind,its Roger.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Soniczero1993

[QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"][QUOTE="Soniczero1993"]I heard nothing but Roger voice clips. I don't know where you get Jason from.kbaily

Also how the hell can anyone tell anything from a couple tiny grunts or are Sonic fans that anal? And honestly guys, I thought we were over the whole "voice actors ruined" Sonic thing.

I can always tell who's voicing Sonic just from the grunts.

/proskill 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kbaily

Well now that we know Sonic is back in Smash again and that his stage will be based on the first area of Lost World, we can speculate on other things.

Given that Sakurai got rid of tripping and promised that this installment will be the happy medium between Melee and Brawl in terms of fight mechanics, I think we can assume that Sonic's final Smash will be dialed back to either not be so powerful or just not last as long. Even Sonic fans agreed that Sonic's final Smash was sort of cheap and even got banned in tournaments. Though so far it looks like the rest of his moveset hasn't changed too much.

Shadow was an assist before but it would be nice to have Tails or Knuckles show up as an assist or they could just do what they did before and have them in the background of Sonic's stage. Though if they do the trophy thing again, plenty of Sonic pals will show up there.

We heard the Sonic Heroes theme (Don't know why they picked that for the reveal) but I figure Sonic's tracks will include Genesis classics again along with a few Colors songs because that music was the sh** and now that Sonic wasn't added right at the end, we might have some cool remixes.

Sonic's WiiU stage is based on Lost World but I'm better his 3DS stage is based off Colors. I'll go with Tropical Resort.

And I think the thing we'd all like, better recolors for Sonic namely a Shadow skin. Maybe have a white one for Silver or even a Metal Sonic one. Hell they could do a green Sonic for Scourge as a shout out to the comics fans.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kbaily

I love this pic.

633202_20131002_640screen001.jpg

Also And re the Black Nerd is happy about Sonic's return though thinks that PacMan needs to join given Namco is working on this game.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/black-nerd-rants/sonic-back-smash-bros-black-nerd-wants

I'll agree with Andre in that despite the 3 game deal Sega and Nintendo have going I did worry that Sonic might get cut in favor of Megaman though now many are seeing Snake getting the boot and let's face it. Sonic and Mega Man have had more games on Nintendo hardware than Snake (Snake has a wopping four games, 2 of which were ports) and I think for a 3rd party character in be in Smash, their contributions should be able to be counted on more than one hand.

Don't worry Snake fans. There's always Playstation All Stars 2? LOL

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Soniczero1993
I'm just glad Sonic got a graphical overhaul from Brawl. He looks very much like how SEGA makes him now.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

I'm just glad Sonic got a graphical overhaul from Brawl. He looks very much like how SEGA makes him now.Soniczero1993

Agreed. His new HD model looks 100 time better than his brawl one. 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kbaily

[QUOTE="Soniczero1993"]I'm just glad Sonic got a graphical overhaul from Brawl. He looks very much like how SEGA makes him now.sonictrainer

Agreed. His new HD model looks 100 time better than his brawl one.

I remember reading somewhere that Sakurai wanted the characters to be more vibrant and colorful. When you look at the Brawl models, the shading and textures go for a more "realistic" vibe but for this one, their colors are brighter. Mario's overalls are more blue than washed out denim. Bowser's more orangy yellow as well as stands more upright.

smash-bros-comparison-shots-690x388.jpg

Some where complaining that the new Smash didn't look as detailed as Brawl but it's just a combination of smoother textures and brighter colors on the characters.

inside_media.php?subId=9808&mediaId=16

Brawl Sonic

Sonic-Smash-bros-Wii-U-620x350.jpg

Smash WiiU Sonic.

I also think the Sonic that was in Brawl was the Sonic 06 era Sonic, aka that dark time where they tried to make Sonic more "grown up" and he constantly looked angry and then after Colors returned to the more, fun lighthearted Sonic of old, Sonic got a little shorter, his blue got more vibrant and stopped looking so serious. But more than anything, a lot of it is just the HD upgrade. But I do think they actually toned back on a lot of the gray shading the Brawl characters had.

Then again we could do a whole thread over Sonic's slight design changes over the years.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
We did do such a thread, it was "which is your favorite design for characters", remember? :P
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kbaily

We did do such a thread, it was "which is your favorite design for characters", remember? :Pbarren167

I thought we did but it was so long ago I couldn't remember for sure.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts

[QUOTE="barren167"]We did do such a thread, it was "which is your favorite design for characters", remember? :Pkbaily

I thought we did but it was so long ago I couldn't remember for sure.

I did one. But it was crap, wasn't it?
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Soniczero1993
Well we played it for a while, but just like everything except for the RPG, it just stopped.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

the game will hopefully kick ass