sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
I mean, we all have known this for some time. The Rush games, Unleashes Day stages, and entirety of Colors were basically awesome, but Sonic hasn't gotten much love from the gaming community in general for some time, I've felt. And then I viewed the comments on This For those too lazy to click, the OP posted a pic of SA2 and called it "the last good Sonic game." About 40% of the responses are "You haven't played Rush/Colors/Advance 3." It's a nice sight to see. :) The other 60% are: 10% - SA2 actually sucked, BTW 50% - I miss my chao!
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#2 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Yeah I get annoyed with that too mainly because too many folks haven't played any Sonic games since the Dreamcast ended and just assume what everyone says about "no good Sonic" games is true. This is why I get really annoyed with the gaming media and the stupid ideas they perpetuate.

I think while many of us agree there's been plenty of medicore to bad games, but not every single Sonic game that has come out post Dreamcast was horrible.

Sonic Heroes was far from terrible at least if you played the Gamecube version not the bugged to hell and back PS2 version.

Of course most of the Advance/Rush games were excellent though once when I said that as an argument that "handhelds don't count." Don't ask me why handhelds don't count. Apparently Sonic has to have a good console game to be considered having a comeback.

And of course Sonic Colors which has sold very well and most who played it agree it's the best console Sonic game in a long time and yet many haven't played it or don't see it as a comeback. Either they only saw the negative reviews (GI and GT) or of course it's a third party Wii game so it can't possibly be good because all third party Wii games suck.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mariostar0001
Member since 2009 • 46245 Posts
50% - I miss my chao!sonicphc
Those people can be so annoying. Seriously, what could they really do with a new Chao Garden? Improve a few fine details maybe, but overall it'd mostly be the same experience, and others would be complaining that it's taking up space with the same thing they played already.
zmanrwks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 zmanrwks
Member since 2010 • 12562 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicphc"]50% - I miss my chao!mariostar0001
Those people can be so annoying. Seriously, what could they really do with a new Chao Garden? Improve a few fine details maybe, but overall it'd mostly be the same experience, and others would be complaining that it's taking up space with the same thing they played already.

I assume you never had a Chao garden. It will consume your time!!
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mariostar0001
I had Tiny Chao Garden. Never play it any more.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

I had Tiny Chao Garden. Never play it any more.mariostar0001
TCG is like a living Pokemon PC,except it only has one pokemon in it.

The real chao garden's that are in 1 and 2 are much more addicting,and can always use an upgrade.

sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicphc"]50% - I miss my chao!mariostar0001

But they didn't take up space. They were added in after everything else was already completed.

Personally, I'd rather have the experience than seeing them as cameos.

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts

I assume you never had a Chao garden. It will consume your time!!zmanrwks

In SA2 I had one just to get the emblems. Once I got those, I never went back. All I did was use the animals until I got my chao to look how I wanted then spammed the ring glitch so I could buy imperial poo-tons of chao fruit and spammed those.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kbaily
I will admit that of all the fluff and gimmicks modern Sonic had, Chao gardens was a nice distraction. It was totally optional for those who didn't care for it and a nice extra to mess around with once the main game was done. Even if it was just Sega trying to make their own answer to Pokemon and virtual pets at the time. My biggest gripe with the rereleases of SA1 on the download services was no online support for the Chao. To me, that seems like a missed opportunity. Sonic Chronicles hinted at bringing it back but that garden ended up just being a storage area to assign them when needed. You couldn't breed or raise them.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Heh. Now I'm starting to feel that generations won't be complete without a chao garden. I should just walk away from this thread lest I get my hopes up...
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
Considering Sonic Generations beat Mario 3DS, I'd say Sonic is creeping up again.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts
Sonic has always come close to beating Mario and he will sometime once again.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kbaily
Gametrailers had the Sonic CD trailer posted on their site and some jerk made the comment "why can't Sega make good Sonic games anymore instead of just rehasing the same old ones?" To which someone replied "They did, it's called Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations."
MagicLink95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 MagicLink95
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts
I played every Sonic game since the GameCube, and that includes rereleases of the orignals, and I loved everyone of them. 06 may have been buggy and hard to control, and full of gimmicks, but I liked it. I have to say the story was bad, but I liked playing as Silver and Shadow. I enjoyed Shadow The Hedgehog, and Unleashed Werehog stages. Also, just saying, the reason why I didn't start playing earilier is because I was born around the time the Dreamcast came out. A baby can't play Dreamcast and know what he's doing. Although it may seem like I love the gimmicks, I don't. I enjoy them for what they are. Also, don't be like, "He's some kid that doesn't like the classics. He should be bannished!" because I love the classics more than the moderns. However, modern gameplay has the gimmicks to switch it up, which is nice sometimes.
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mariostar0001
Before anyone comments on the above (or below, if you're phc) post, read this,, if you haven't already. ;)
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts
I don't care anymore. I'll just pity and let them make nonsense of themselves.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

What if, as a kid, you grew up during the Playstation 2/XBOX days?Shadow the Hedgehog isn't a broken game, it's perfectly possible to get from beginning to end without too much difficulty. So you grow up on it and other games of the sort, and one day join an internet forum, which you then use to brag about your gaming experiences with great games like Shadow the Hedgehog. And everyone hates you.

Oh man..so true..

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mariostar0001
I don't care anymore. I'll just pity and let them make nonsense of themselves.white_kunoichi
I know several people who are quite intelligent that liked Shadow the Hedgehog. You're a bit too prone to stereotypes, in my experience. :P
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 macrules_640
I will admit Shadow was fun in some areas, but it was still a terrible game. :P
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts
[QUOTE="white_kunoichi"]I don't care anymore. I'll just pity and let them make nonsense of themselves.mariostar0001
I know several people who are quite intelligent that liked Shadow the Hedgehog. You're a bit too prone to stereotypes, in my experience. :P

I'm not even gonna care for this. Last time I'm gonna pay attention to this bull crap of a game that shouldn't have been including Sonic in the first place.
NightFox313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NightFox313
Member since 2011 • 103 Posts

Sonic has definitely seen some better days. But maybe Sonic Team's finally getting things done right this time around. Personally I think Sonic Team needs Yuji Naka, Naoto Oshima, and Hirokazu Yasuhara back; they were the core of the team! How is a series going to succeed without its good writers, superb level designers, intelligent programmers, etc.?

Just look at the Genesis Sonic games. Those games were programmed by Yasuhara and Naka, who designed the levels. Yasuhara eventually departed from the Sonic series in 2002. Compare the games Yasuhara and Naka programmed to the more recent 2D Sonic games like Sonic the Hedgehog 4, made in 2010. The Genesis Sonic games were praised for their level design. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was criticized for its cheap deaths and awkward physics.

Mix up some bad programming with a lame story and unpolished gameplay and you'll get another rushed, glitchy Sonic '06. We don't want that, now do we? But anyways, I think Sonic's going to be alright as long as they have a good concept and a good team willing to make a good Sonic game.

mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mariostar0001
[QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="white_kunoichi"]I don't care anymore. I'll just pity and let them make nonsense of themselves.white_kunoichi

I'm not even gonna care for this. Last time I'm gonna pay attention to this bull crap of a game that shouldn't have been including Sonic in the first place.

Suit yourself, if you must.
TQ_NintyNoE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 TQ_NintyNoE
Member since 2006 • 1672 Posts
I don't miss my Chao, I've still got them all. Sonic Adventure 2 was a great Sonic game, but it's definitely not the last good one. The Advance games were amazing, Sonic Heroes was brilliant, The Rush games were good, and Colours was epic. Even Sonic 4 was decent for all the rubbish it had with it. Let's not forget Unleashed, which was good across both platforms, though had far too many negative factors (Werehog being 60% of the game).
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kbaily

What if, as a kid, you grew up during the Playstation 2/XBOX days?Shadow the Hedgehog isn't a broken game, it's perfectly possible to get from beginning to end without too much difficulty. So you grow up on it and other games of the sort, and one day join an internet forum, which you then use to brag about your gaming experiences with great games like Shadow the Hedgehog. And everyone hates you.

Oh man..so true..

SuperSmashBro1

Well Sega spent the previous generation taking advantage of the few choices kids had in kid friendly games if they didn't own a GC and had access to the worlds of Nintendo. Sadly ever since the late PS1 era, the industry got the lazy mindset of "If kids like it, there's no need to put effort into it" hence all the crappy Dora and Spongebob games piling up and Sega took advantage of that with the less than great Sonic games because if you're a kid who's older sibling has a PS2 or Xbox, you're choices are limited. Crappy liscenced games, or some of these later gen Crash, Spyro or Sonic. This is why I was so happy the Wii became a hit because then when Mario and good kid friendly games started to sell better, it forced the industry to stop treating the non 15-35 year old demographic like a viable audience (Somewhat). I'm will to bet, we wouldn't have seen Sega make Sonic 4 if not for NSMBWii or Sonic Colors which actually felt like a Sonic game, not just some game with Sonic slapped into it if they weren't having to compete with high quality Mario games for sales.

The common complaint 3rd parties made when making Wii games was "we can't compete with Nintendo's first party software. Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems." To which I'd say "make better games."

Sega has finally stopped just trying to milk Sonic and actually trying to put him in games people other than 12 year olds and die hard fans want to play. There is a place in this modern gaming world for characters other than scruffy space marines, but you have to make something that's actually good and fun to play.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#25 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
[QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="sonicphc"]50% - I miss my chao!zmanrwks

I assume you never had a Chao garden. It will consume your time!!

I wish they'd bring it back, also. :/
NightFox313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NightFox313
Member since 2011 • 103 Posts
The Chao Garden MUST return! You know how many hours I spent making a Chaos Chao and a Shadow Chao in SA2B?! If Sonic Generations has the Chao Garden, then heck it would be flying off the shelves with most of the purchases from Chao fanatics! The Chao Garden was pretty darn addicting IMO.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kbaily
I'm actually surprised with Sega's fantatical support for Sonic and Sega on moblie devices that they haven't made a Chao raising app. I could see that being a great thing for mobile devices. A user once posted the idea of a Chao raising sim for Wiiware but that might pan out only being another My Pokemon Ranch in that not so great for $15 downloadable game but more do able as a .99 app. Just a thought.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Soniczero1993

I don't care anymore. I'll just pity and let them make nonsense of themselves.white_kunoichi

You know some of the nicest and smartest people I know who are very loving have played Shadow.

/antagonizing

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 macrules_640
The Chao were a nice distraction in the Adventure games, but we can do without them now.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#30 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
What I'd like is something Colors Wii did, but with better bosses. Basically, a great selection of both mandatory and optional stages.
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mariostar0001
I don't mind the "play all stages to advance" thing so much myself. If it weren't there and the requirement was closer to "play all stages on this path" or "play five of the six available stages", the game would be even shorter than it already is, plus it's be likely possible to skip a stage with a brand new wisp, unless they make act 1 (usually the longest and, in my opinion, hardest in the world) always mandatory.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Soniczero1993

Classic Sonic uses the block Wisp and becomes 16-bit.

.....Actually that'd be f***ing cool.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 macrules_640
That would be quite interesting.