deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf
Member since 2009 • 7764 Posts

If a game succeds it usually got a TV show, which it isn't as good as the game because it is totally different to the game this series.

Sonic got 4 shows, from which I read, only 2 succeded.

First it come Adventure of Sonic the Hedgehogs. It was childish, but it was also hilariious at times and remember it was headed for young kids. Not necessary to a 20 year old fan. As far as I know, it is the only series it got a message for kids called "Sonic says" (or sez by how Tails write it), some were good for kids but other made non sense ("never enter a washing machine because you will roll over it and break your head, it is also hot inside", it is this really useful?)

Then Sonic Satam come out, the best TV show from Sonic in my opinion (and from many others too).I'm being honest, I'm just starting watching it, but it is pretty interesting. The plot wasn't bad and it is nice to watch a good show based on a videogame.And I got to say, I love the voice acting for Robotnik.Unfortunately, this show was cancelled after the 2nd season, they already got the plot for season 3, but ABC wanted more space for new shows. They were even going to introdue Knuckles at ends of season 3, but it didn't live long enough.

After Satam, Underground come out. I never watched this one but I read Sonic got a family (when did this happen?) and they used musical instruments as weapons. That sound very weird. And for the only time, Tails isn't on the show.

And then come out Sonic X. I don't think I need to talk about this one, except it was the long lived series, even when it was the worse.

If SEGA wanted to do a Sonic show on the new century, why they didn't continue Satam? or why did they added Chris? I guess I would never know the answer.

dalejrgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 dalejrgamer
Member since 2005 • 6840 Posts

I personally call this the Uwe Boll Effect.  Why?  Because Uwe Boll is infamous for turning great (or good) games into bad movies.  Regardless, what that effect says is if you take a popular video game franchise (Street Fighter, Sonic, Resident Evil, Doom, etc.) and basically take away the controller and try to forge up a TV show or movie based on that, chances are, no matter how good (or in this case, bad or so godawful that watching Jon Wes Townley crash out of the Daytona 500 100 million times is better than a poor tie-in) it is, you're basically going nowhere with it.  Games involve letting the user interact with the story in a way in most cases.  Part of the fun is having second chances if you manage to screw up.  That way, the user can continue with the story by having to work for it.  You take the controller away, and the plot suddenly becomes a little predictable and bland, not to mention dull after a while because where's the fun of tackling Dr. Eggman at some point, or trying to gun down Sonny Forelli at the mansion, or finding a way to beat Saddler when the only way to even weaken him is a knife to his eye?

*sigh*  If you need me, I'll be watching Days of Thunder or Fate/Stay Night.  Feel free to destroy what's left of my dignity by finding flaws in this post and pointing it out.

ULTRABAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ULTRABAT
Member since 2009 • 1668 Posts

I sorta like the T.V. series. I like the game and the story. It is what makes a character a character is his story. Although I have to admit they are a tad cheesy. And even a little wierd and not as cool as the game but I enjoy watching them.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#4 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

SatAM was a rarity in that it was a really good show based on a video game as well as a cartoon show that holds up well when its target audience gets old as many cartoons from that era did (Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Garfield and Friends, The Disney Afternoon, etc) though I think it wasn't as popular then mainly because young fans took one look at it and like me, wondered why the hell Tails was taking a backseat to a bunch of characters never in the game though from what I've heard in season 3 Knuckles would've joined the cast as well as Tails would've gotten a better part. But at least it's concepts and characters live on in the comics.

Adventures I think we give too much love too just because it's not Sonic X but really people, it's not that good a show. At least Sonic X tried to have a coherent storyline and was drawn well. Adventures looks like it was drawn by an epileptic 3 year old. The animation is downright awful in the show and most of the jokes aren't that funny. I think some of us need to take off the nostalgia glasses. Not every show we watched as kids holds up. I used to think Captain Planet was the coolest superhero around and now I look at it thinking "I used to think this was good?"

Sonic Underground was just bizarre and made no sense. It uses Jaleel White's voice and a setting like that of SatAM and I like the idea of Sonic having long lost siblings but the big problem with it is the show had nothing to do with Sonic and makes me wonder why Sonic is even here. I mean if you watch the series and pretend Sonic is someone else, then it's a good show. It's like the creators wanted to put Sonic in this show for a recognizable face but didn't realize Sonic fans were tuning in for a show based around the games. I like the storyline and the concept of three siblings trying to save a kingdom that was once theirs but Sonic was wrong for this show. They should've made up their own characters for this.

Sonic X at first seemed like it would be the happy medium between SatAM and Adventures. It was drawn well and featured characters and devices from the games but as we all know, we have to deal with the terrible 4Kids dub though so many Otakus will go on about how it's so much better in Japanese but unless the Japanese version eliminates all the annoying human characters, I don't see how it's much better. That's what I really didn't get is that why this show wanted us to care more about Chris and all his firends and family than Sonic and the characters we came to see. It was like the Transformers movies. You went to it to see the giant robots fight but we're force fed Shia Labeof instead. But what I really hate about Sonic X is I blame it for everything that's wrong with Sonic fandom today. I blame it for rangling in the "noob" fans with their constant defense of the crap games and their love of Shadow. I blame it for Sega deciding to ax their voice cast and replace them with the Sonic X cast so that the games sounded the same in the games and on TV. But most of all I blame this series for bringing in the hordes of drooling tweeners who moronically buy any piece of modern Sonic garbage and defend how the series is sooo much better now and how "criticz r biazed!" and how they hate any game that Shadow isn't playable in and if it wasn't for these young fans and they're complete lack of taste, the Sonic series would be a lot better but as long as the moron fringe is willing to buy any piece of garbage with Sonic's face on it, the games will continue to suffer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf

SatAM was a rarity in that it was a really good show based on a video game as well as a cartoon show that holds up well when its target audience gets old as many cartoons from that era did (Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Garfield and Friends, The Disney Afternoon, etc) though I think it wasn't as popular then mainly because young fans took one look at it and like me, wondered why the hell Tails was taking a backseat to a bunch of characters never in the game though from what I've heard in season 3 Knuckles would've joined the cast as well as Tails would've gotten a better part. But at least it's concepts and characters live on in the comics.

Adventures I think we give too much love too just because it's not Sonic X but really people, it's not that good a show. At least Sonic X tried to have a coherent storyline and was drawn well. Adventures looks like it was drawn by an epileptic 3 year old. The animation is downright awful in the show and most of the jokes aren't that funny. I think some of us need to take off the nostalgia glasses. Not every show we watched as kids holds up. I used to think Captain Planet was the coolest superhero around and now I look at it thinking "I used to think this was good?"

Sonic Underground was just bizarre and made no sense. It uses Jaleel White's voice and a setting like that of SatAM and I like the idea of Sonic having long lost siblings but the big problem with it is the show had nothing to do with Sonic and makes me wonder why Sonic is even here. I mean if you watch the series and pretend Sonic is someone else, then it's a good show. It's like the creators wanted to put Sonic in this show for a recognizable face but didn't realize Sonic fans were tuning in for a show based around the games. I like the storyline and the concept of three siblings trying to save a kingdom that was once theirs but Sonic was wrong for this show. They should've made up their own characters for this.

Sonic X at first seemed like it would be the happy medium between SatAM and Adventures. It was drawn well and featured characters and devices from the games but as we all know, we have to deal with the terrible 4Kids dub though so many Otakus will go on about how it's so much better in Japanese but unless the Japanese version eliminates all the annoying human characters, I don't see how it's much better. That's what I really didn't get is that why this show wanted us to care more about Chris and all his firends and family than Sonic and the characters we came to see. It was like the Transformers movies. You went to it to see the giant robots fight but we're force fed Shia Labeof instead. But what I really hate about Sonic X is I blame it for everything that's wrong with Sonic fandom today. I blame it for rangling in the "noob" fans with their constant defense of the crap games and their love of Shadow. I blame it for Sega deciding to ax their voice cast and replace them with the Sonic X cast so that the games sounded the same in the games and on TV. But most of all I blame this series for bringing in the hordes of drooling tweeners who moronically buy any piece of modern Sonic garbage and defend how the series is sooo much better now and how "criticz r biazed!" and how they hate any game that Shadow isn't playable in and if it wasn't for these young fans and they're complete lack of taste, the Sonic series would be a lot better but as long as the moron fringe is willing to buy any piece of garbage with Sonic's face on it, the games will continue to suffer.

kbaily

I have friends that didn't like Rush because Tails wasn't playable. Rush is one of my fav. games and focused on what sonic is: speed.

They also said Black Knight is better than Unleashed or Heroes because you could use many characters through the storyline (wait, on Heroes you use 12 characters) and the battles are more epic (what isn't true, it's epic to see Sonic fighting the old Robotnik, not to see him fight a Knight with dull controls). I'm afraid to say, all what you say it's true. On another site, the leader of the forum already wanted All Star Racing when it was announced (I'll stay with Mario Kart Wii). Another bad reason for preffering new games is because stories are better (so far, the only 2 stories of 3D games I liked were Heroes and Adventure 2) and also because of the graphics (don't they understand at that time 16 bit graphics were awesome?). They aren't bad friends, but they don't understand when a Sonic game is bad (except 3D blast, they admited that one isn't good). Ever heard of the brainfart series on youtube? There you will find the angriest fan ever, which thinks he is never wrong

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts

To me AOSTH and SATAM were the only good TV shows based on Sonic. I know that a lot of people didn't like AOSTH because it didn't have a plot, but that's what made it great because it was a show that you couldn't take seriously and SATAM is the best Sonic show hands down just because it had a well done storyline and it was a shame it got canceled after only two seasons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf

To me AOSTH and SATAM were the only good TV shows based on Sonic. I know that a lot of people didn't like AOSTH because it didn't have a plot, but that's what made it great because it was a show that you couldn't take seriously and SATAM is the best Sonic show hands down just because it had a well done storyline and it was a shame it got canceled after only two seasons.

macrules_640

what you said.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 macrules_640

I don't want to even mention Sonic Underground and Sonic X since those two shows were just plain bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf

I don't want to even mention Sonic Underground and Sonic X since those two shows were just plain bad.

macrules_640

"but Sonic X is awesome because shadow is in it and the drawings were better, Sonic SaTam sucks because Shadow isn't on it", silly question from a Sonic X fan (does that exists?)

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 macrules_640
Who cares if Sonic X was better drawn? What depends the most to me is if the storyline is good enough. By the way anyone ever see Sonic: Nazo Unleashed?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b7a4a209ddaf
Who cares if Sonic X was better drawn? What depends the most to me is if the storyline is good enough. By the way anyone ever see Sonic: Nazo Unleashed?macrules_640
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 macrules_640

Sonic X was to much like the games and that's what made it boring and besides it focused way to much on Chris and Shadow which I hated. SATAM was better just because they didn't rely on the games for the plot and that's what made it awesome.

Avatar image for Shadow_Olimar23
Shadow_Olimar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shadow_Olimar23
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts

By the way anyone ever see Sonic: Nazo Unleashed?macrules_640

I did see that.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#14 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

AOSTH was okay when you were six or younger but some of us are ueither in are late teens or 20s. We grew out of it and think this isn't funny anymore and we realised it wasn't really that good.

SATAM that was a more darker Sonic which actually had well devloped characters and intresting plots. It was a good show but it got cancelled on a cliffhanger.

Sonic Underground no comment

Sonic X I tried my best to like it but Chris and other characters that won't be in the Sonic unvierse just don't work and plus they were all annoying and while some of the plots sounded good they just weren't that action packed.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 macrules_640

Well said.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kbaily

[QUOTE="macrules_640"] By the way anyone ever see Sonic: Nazo Unleashed?Shadow_Olimar23

I did see that.

That just feels like some lame DBZ wannabe. Super Mario Bros. Z is way better because it flat out admits that it rips off DBZ's action elements. Plus it actually has a worthwhile story and instead of inventing a new character, it just turns Metal Sonic into an uber destrcutive monster.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 macrules_640

Yeah, but you have to give credit to the author as he took time to draw the characters.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chocolate1325
[QUOTE="Shadow_Olimar23"]

[QUOTE="macrules_640"] By the way anyone ever see Sonic: Nazo Unleashed?kbaily

I did see that.

That just feels like some lame DBZ wannabe. Super Mario Bros. Z is way better because it flat out admits that it rips off DBZ's action elements. Plus it actually has a worthwhile story and instead of inventing a new character, it just turns Metal Sonic into an uber destrcutive monster.

I agree with this because it is easy to follow and Sonic hasn't been that good when trying to outdo Mario at everything.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 macrules_640

So just asking if you were forced to watch either Sonic Underground or Sonic X which one would it be?

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chocolate1325
Sonic X because Underground just sucked big time.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 macrules_640

I tired watching one episode of Sonic Underground and I had to turn it off because the singing was just awful.

Avatar image for Shadow_Olimar23
Shadow_Olimar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shadow_Olimar23
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts

I tired watching one episode of Sonic Underground and I had to turn it off because the singing was just awful.

macrules_640

It was awful. I did watch about every episode of it and then found out that it...

A) Ended the show on a cliffhanger...

B) The plot wasn't resolved

C) The last episode was a virtual reality match against Robotnik.

-----------

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 macrules_640

Yeah unlike each episode of SATAM which could stand on its on merits, Underground has a really confusing plot as well and the episodes didn't go to well together.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kbaily

Yeah, but you have to give credit to the author as he took time to draw the characters.

macrules_640

You should check out the Sonic Shorts collections on Newgrounds. They're pretty good.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kbaily

I have friends that didn't like Rush because Tails wasn't playable. Rush is one of my fav. games and focused on what sonic is: speed.

They also said Black Knight is better than Unleashed or Heroes because you could use many characters through the storyline (wait, on Heroes you use 12 characters) and the battles are more epic (what isn't true, it's epic to see Sonic fighting the old Robotnik, not to see him fight a Knight with dull controls). I'm afraid to say, all what you say it's true. On another site, the leader of the forum already wanted All Star Racing when it was announced (I'll stay with Mario Kart Wii). Another bad reason for preffering new games is because stories are better (so far, the only 2 stories of 3D games I liked were Heroes and Adventure 2) and also because of the graphics (don't they understand at that time 16 bit graphics were awesome?). They aren't bad friends, but they don't understand when a Sonic game is bad (except 3D blast, they admited that one isn't good). Ever heard of the brainfart series on youtube? There you will find the angriest fan ever, which thinks he is never wrong

nunchuk28

This is how our union tries to distinguish ourselves from these afformentioned "nutjobs." A lot of noob fans show up and realize that we don't live in some alternate reality where Paris Hilton is a physics professor nor are we detracted by flashing graphics and guitar rock and the amazing epic.....hahahaha I can't believe I tried to say that with a straight face. Anyone who thinks any story in a recent game was good clearly doesn't read anything aside from manga.

Go back and read some of our not so glowing reviews of games like Shadow and all the outrage when we give anything newer anything lower than a 9 except for Secret Rings which we gave a 9 and fans were mad that we gave a game where you just played as Sonic a high score. Amazingly there was no outrage over my Sonic Next Gen review. Maybe because Sega came out and flat out admitted that the game was rushed and poorly done due to it having to be out in time for Christmas and the PS3 launch and if the developers thought the game was crap, who are you to argue?

Of course all you have to do is visit one of the main forums for any Sonic game and you can pick out the nutjobs in a flash. One of my all time favorites was what I call the "Chris Crocker" of Sonic fandom who wrote a rather lengthy forum post about why Mario was truly the one in trouble and not Sonic and how Nintendo brainwashes everyone into buying all of Mario's sports/party games (I don't buy every Mario spinoff) and how, and this is the honest truth, that Sonic Next Gen was the greatest game he played since Sonic Adventure 2 and how it made him cry tears of joy and that the reason it got so much backlash was because most Sonic fans are Nintendo system owners and were upset they couldn't play that wonderful (ahem) game so all it's slamming came from jealous Nintendo owners because professional game critics clearly don't have access to all three consoles.

And thus we try to distinguish ourselves from the idiots of the fanbase and admit that the series isn't as good as it once was, we don't sit around musing on if Rouge is in love with Shadow or Knuckles, nor do we sit around making stupid fan characters all day. Shadow's game's not bad because he's using a gun, it's bad because it's full of tedious hero/dark missions. Riders isn't a bad racer but it's hard to learn and the story sucks. Sonic Next Gen had potential but there too many glitches, load screens and broken gameplay elements to ignore.

That's how Sonicspot works.

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 macrules_640

I've seen the Sonic Shorts on Newgrounds and they're downright funny.

Â