Do you want the current Sonic games to be as hard as the cIassic games?

koolkat14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 koolkat14
Member since 2009 • 10428 Posts

So today I've been playing Sonic CIassic Collection on the DSi and after getting stuck on Marble Zone in Sonic 1, gotten mad to the point where I want to ragequit at Mystic Cave Zone in Sonic 2, it got me into thinking. Most Sonic games are quite easy nowadays like Generations, Colours (not sure about this one but I've heard it's pretty easy) and Unleashed (except Eggmanland in the HD versions, of course), especially when compared to the cIassics. Anyway, do you guys want the current Sonic games to be as hard as the cIassic games? Personally I don't mind it having some difficulty but not to the point where I want to throw my controller or handheld to the ground or ragequit.

Oh and sorry if this thread is pretty stupid, been a long time since I made one on GS. >.> 

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Technically speaking, I don't find the old games that hard, I've beaten Sonic 2 dozens of times, Sonic 3 & Knuckles half a dozen times, Sonic 1 half a dozen times, etc. On the other hand, I do find some of the modern mechanics to be fairly frustrating at times, mostly Sonic's lack of ability to land right where I want him to in Sonic Colors, or the excess of speed in Sonic Rush. But those are just the mechanics, not the games themselves, which I don't think are much harder or easier than the originals, at least in those cases. Sonic & the Black Knight, on the other hand, is genuinely hard at times, I'd hate to see the results were the game to have a death count... But again, that's mostly the game's mechanics, which I don't find bad, just unique (and mostly enjoyable). Overall, I think the difficulty's just determined by how Sonic controls in the game, to a general extent.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

The only difference I can think of between the Genesis Era games and the current ones is that when Sonic gets hit, he would lose all his Rings.

Everything else that causes difficulty in the Genesis Era games is still present in the current ones. 

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Marble Zone is piss easy. You haven't even gotten to Labyrinth Zone yet.

Most people say they can't beat Sonic 3 because of that barrel in Carnival Night, but that's their fault they just jumped on it like mad men. Most Sonic games are not that hard.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts

Soniczero1993
You know, besides all the spikes and lava everywhere. Unless you have the level memorized and practiced repeatedly it's pretty near impossible to get through it without taking damage, and usually you take a lot of it.

Most people say they can't beat Sonic 3 because of that barrel in Carnival Night, but that's their fault they just jumped on it like mad men.

Soniczero1993
There's no instructions on how to use those barrels anywhere. You jump on it like a madman, first, and then you mash buttons wildly until you realize that up-and-down do something. Given the "physics" of them, jumping seems the more logical choice. Not providing instructions or a clue anywhere in the level, much less the game manual, was bad design on Sega's part.

Most Sonic games are not that hard.

TheGuyWhoTook20MinutesToBeatSkySanctuary
... ***** And now that I've owned s0 (if you don't see how, look more carefully above :D ), time to answer the OP: I definitely agree with you that the Old games are harder than the new ones (Anyone who disagrees should go play Metropolis from Sonic 2 again to remind themselves, and if that doesn't do it, go replay the final boss from Sonic 2). As for whether or not the new games need that difficulty... it's debatable. I disagree with trainer saying that the difficulty is equivalent - death still rarely comes from loss of rings in the modern games. It's almost always fall-to-doom or miss-timing-on-jump things that penalize for a lack of perfection. (The exception being the mech sections in SA2, where I died plenty from running out of health). It's a very different level design, and a very different kind of difficulty. Once you figure out the jump or trick or whatever, it's a breeze. Until you do that, you die a lot and retry really quickly over and over. Colors moved away from this trend a little... but the game was also pretty easy (up until Asteroid Coaster, where the aforementioned perfection death is all over the place). Generations is a huge step in the right direction, with death in the later stages almost always coming from ring loss (I'm looking at you, Planet Wisp), as well as challenges designed to kill you with damage (high speed enemy challenges) and probably my favorite boss fight ever, the Egg Dragoon, was designed to cause you pain. I'd say with Generations, getting S ranks on everything rivals the difficulty of the older games. Whether or not the general, "beat the game" difficulty should be upped to the other game, though... probably not, just to keep people playing. It's the modern era of games after all. I don't remember which famous nintendo employee said it, but it was along the lines of "your mother should be able to beat the game on its normal difficulty." P.S.: Your thread is not stupid. Don't apologize. ;)
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Soniczero1993
[QUOTE="TheGuyWhoTook20MinutesToBeatSkySanctuary"]

sonicphc

... ***** And now that I've owned s0

Does not count. Emulators are not legit games.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sonicphc
@s0 - I've been playing Sonic 3 on a keyboard my entire life (S3&K Collection from 1995 - still runs on Window 7. Hell yes). It's not that bad. Or just go buy an awesome gamepad from logitech. It's a worthwhile investment. :)
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 barren167
I definitely agree with you that the Old games are harder than the new ones (Anyone who disagrees should go play Metropolis from Sonic 2 again to remind themselves, and if that doesn't do it, go replay the final boss from Sonic 2).sonicphc
Did so about a month ago. Metropolis Zone never really was too hard, and the final boss's pattern made him far too simple after 30 or so deaths. :P
[QUOTE="sonicphc"][QUOTE="TheGuyWhoTook20MinutesToBeatSkySanctuary"]

Soniczero1993

... ***** And now that I've owned s0

Does not count. Emulators are not legit games.

The exact game, no. But still games: Yes. Unless you're the kind of nerd who also doesn't count "casual" games and only "real" hardcore console games, or just want to win an argument and not get "owned".
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Soniczero1993
Sometimes your ignorance astounds me on how much you think I give in to the hardcore side. I've played games like Sonic, Streets of Rage, Boogerman, and many other Genesis titles. Get your facts straight.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonicphc
Wow. I go to make a silly joke at s0's expense and then your guys start arguing over it. Come on, guys. I posted a relatively large, well thought out (I think) discussion on the subject. Can you try responding to that and getting this thread back on track? I think it could be a neat discussion...
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 macrules_640
Member since 2004 • 90033 Posts

Most people say they can't beat Sonic 3 because of that barrel in Carnival Night, but that's their fault they just jumped on it like mad men. Most Sonic games are not that hard.

Soniczero1993

Don't forget, up and down and all around! :P

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#13 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Honestly I've never found any Sonic game "hard" at least in terms of reaching "the end" as opposed to the full end with all emeralds or whatever. I mean older games were hard because there was no auto saving, when you died in the original Sonic and had no continues you started over as opposed to say Colors or Generations where you just go back to the hub now. Then there are games like 06 which are hard because you have gliches popping out to send you to your death.

This is a complaint with a lot of modern games being "too easy" but think about things that old ones didn't have. Auto saving, in game hints, patches, etc.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 barren167
Not to mention they cost less to make. Back then, there were no worries that you were losing part of your multi-million (at most, like Uncharted I think) budget when someone doesn't feel your game easy enough to reach the finish, because your game budget wasn't that big. Now, well, there are those worries.
koolkat14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 koolkat14
Member since 2009 • 10428 Posts

Wow. Either I seriously suck at the classic games or they're that easy. :/ 

Soniczero1993

I am so not looking forward to it now. >.> :P 

@phc I guess it's best if in the beginning of the games it starts out easy then gradually gets harder and harder. Of course it doesn't have to be so hard one would most likely to throw their controller or something like that. :P Maybe something like Rayman Origins. It's hard but not to the point where you become really frustrated or something. Then again, they placed plenty of checkpoints throughout the levels. Besides I mainly got frustrated with Sonic 2 due to the enemy placement in the levels. They always seem to attack me at the worst times, honestly.

@kbaily Even with the saving (which is available in the Classics Collection) I still find myself struggling to finish the levels, let alone the game itself.

srbrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 srbrans
Member since 2005 • 731 Posts
@phc I guess it's best if in the beginning of the games it starts out easy then gradually gets harder and harder. Of course it doesn't have to be so hard one would most likely to throw their controller or something like that. :Pkoolkat14
Sonic Unleashed and Generations did this.:D Examples in Unleashed HD are QTEs having 5 buttons instead of 3, water in Adabat and spikes/swinging slicey things everywhere. Also notable in Rooftop Run in Generations and Crisis City. Fire and gaps everywhere, enemies shoot projectiles really quickly. Speaking of things that are difficult, question for phc: do you use a keyboard for Generations? If so, how hard is that massive shortcut as the start of modern Chemical Plant?
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#17 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts
I don't find most Sonic games to be hard. That applies to even the Genesis games. With that said, I'm pretty happy with the difficulty level in Sonic games in general.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 barren167

Besides I mainly got frustrated with Sonic 2 due to the enemy placement in the levels. They always seem to attack me at the worst times, honestly.

koolkat14
Metropolis Zone and Aquatic Ruin. I can't decide which is worse for "Oh hi there KILL!!!", the level with the invincible stars in the walls or the level where they have a small drop that undoes your spindash every time you're about to run into a drill-nose coming out of the wall.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 macrules_640
Sandopolis Act 2 will make you throw your controller down in rage.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 barren167
I didn't, but it was quite painful due to a lack of checkpoints where I needed them. Then Knuckles got an actual puzzle set for a stage, that was most enjoyable/frustrating.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 macrules_640
Those ghosts made it annoying in parts though.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

Guys, Test of Love in Sonic 2006, hardest S-rank in all of Sonic.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Soniczero1993
Harder than Hidden Palace.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sonicphc
Speaking of things that are difficult, question for phc: do you use a keyboard for Generations? If so, how hard is that massive shortcut as the start of modern Chemical Plant?srbrans
Oh God no. I use a Logitech F310. Bought it just for Generations, actually. It did take me forever to figure out that shortcut, though. I saw the red dash ring way out in the distance and thought for the longest time "huh, I wonder what path later in the level takes me through there..."
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 macrules_640
Trying to S rank all of 06, that's a chore in itself. :P
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#26 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Trying to S rank all of 06, that's a chore in itself. :Pmacrules_640

S ranking for a while was one of the more challenging aspects of modern Sonic games though this greatly depended on the game you were playing. Heroes and Unleashed's day stages were so linear that it was mostly a matter of just dashing as fast as possible and finding all shortcuts to S rank. Hell Unleashed showed you at the top where you're current rank was.

Colors was significantly easier because it wasn't totally based on simply how fast you made it throught he level but based on Power up usage, coin bonuses, trick bonuses, etc. And in a bass ackwards move, playing as Super Sonic didn't guarantee an S rank because Super Sonic couldn't use whisp powers.

Generations or at least the main stages seem to be extremely easy to S rank as long as you get through them relatively fast and don't die. Anyone who saw my PSN trophies saw I got the Big Bang: S rank all levels trophy today.

Sonic 06 S ranking is a challenge though you can always use the glitches to your advantage with it. Jump through walls, use the purple gem...

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 macrules_640
I also S ranked all stages on Generations, but I don't think I'd have the patient for 06. :P
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TAMKFan
I've S ranked all the stages in Sonic Generations too. It wasn't that hard.
macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 macrules_640
Just a little patient is required that's all. :P
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

[QUOTE="macrules_640"]Trying to S rank all of 06, that's a chore in itself. :Pkbaily

S ranking for a while was one of the more challenging aspects of modern Sonic games though this greatly depended on the game you were playing. Heroes and Unleashed's day stages were so linear that it was mostly a matter of just dashing as fast as possible and finding all shortcuts to S rank. Hell Unleashed showed you at the top where you're current rank was. 

Actually, in the HD versions of Unleashed, if you tried to Speedrun a level, you'd get a B Rank. 

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 macrules_640
I've seen my friend do that and he always wondered why he got a B rank.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TAMKFan
Just a little patient is required that's all. :Pmacrules_640

It's a lot harder to get S ranks in Sonic Colors than it is in Sonic Generations.
Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33 Hyrule4EVER
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts

The old Sonic games were hard, (think back to the first time you played it), where the first zone was the only time you could breeze through a stage without dying once. In later games (post 2000) this changed, with the games becoming easier and deaths owing more to frustration inducing elements then actual challenge.

The new games could be harder, but not frustration inducing, and any frustration should feel rewarding.

A good example are these two levels from sonic 3

Marble Garden Zone

Carnival Night Zone

For differant reasons both of these are hard. But one of these zones is better than the other because it's more original, has better music, and is less frustrating due to the amount of options givin to you (branching paths, items) and feels rewarding to play again and get a little furthur than last time.

Can you guess which one? ;)

macrules_640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 macrules_640

I'm guessing Carnival Night Zone?

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 barren167
I'll guess Marble Zone, based on how I felt about both those zones. It fits all the above categories (in my opinion) except branching paths, which I tended not to take in said zone's case, as compared to Night Carnival.