I have recorded my favourite NES games on... DVDs!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 gaikai
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

I know it sounds quite insane, especialy when we will remember that NES games are 4000x smaller than space available on the one-side, one-layer DVD, but, I promise, it does HAVE sense.

Here is the story.

I used to play games on emulators. The thing I hate the most about emulators, is the fact that usually we play games which does not have any, let's say, physicall representation. In the same time, we have so many games on our hard drives that's really, really difficult to manage them or build and maintain the list of favourite ones; I have decided to build the list of favourite ones just by recording them on DVDs. But that's not all.

In my nature, I hate waste. So I could not let this additional 4GB+ of space to be left empty. I have quesitioned myself: does it even have any sense to burn any additional content? If yes, what should I burn? After thinking a little, I have realised that it does have a lot of sense (at least to me:-) to put additional stuff on DVD, right next to the NES game itself. What I am burning on the NES DVDs?

1) Raw NES game rom.

2) High video quality playthrough video (it may come in handy!). I am just taking stuff from youtube which looks reasonable.

3) Folders with various PC emulators; I have the game rom put into dedicated place per emulator (so yes, rom is burnt on DVD a couple of times, actually), so when I want to play given game, I just copy and paste the emulator folder and that's it -- nothing is left to do.

4) Folders with various non-PC emulators, so I can minimze the time-to-run the game on various platforms, e. g. PSP or Xbox Original.

5) Folder with original game cover, of course :-)

I am also printing covers and storing everything in nice DVD case. Now I can jump into my favourite NES games just in seconds, on many of the platforms I own, and it's FINALLY on my shelf. :-)

And that's all. This approach can possibly be refined A LOT. Ideas from top of my head are burning instruction manuals, unique content about games which won't change in time, e. g. insider gamasutra-like studio stories, old magazine review scans and so on.

Additional advantage of this solution is the fact I love to go offline. I do not have internet connection in my man cave, so I could just isolate and relax. With above stuff stored on the DVD, I don't even need the internet connection (with all the damn clutters it comes with).

What do you guys think about this? I would be really happy if there would be a place from which we could download NES games DVD ISOS (composed as above) with commonly approved & appreciated content. But yeah... I like this NES-DVD solution, but it might be just me :-)

BTW. I will post photos soon.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Very forbidden. Please read the posting guidelines on video game emulation