Do you prefer Chunky Pixels or Smoothed Pixels?

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you prefer Chunky Pixels or Smoothed Pixels? (10 votes)

Yes, i love my sharp chunky lego pixels! 30%
No, i want my pixel art to have smoother edges! 70%

Recently, i found out that a LOT of people like their retro games and "retro styled" games pixelated. I find this baffling, as someone who grew up playing the arcades games SF2,Metal Slug,Kof, bubble bobble etc those games weren't "pixelated" back in the day. They "look" pixelated when emulated on LCD screens because its in a way higher resolution without the scanlines&pixel blurring effects of CRTs don't exist in LCD screens.

The sharp "pixelated" retro look(yes that's a MM10 screenshot) is ironically, a very new phenomenon. I mean look at Shovel Knight, i think it looks very nice when you put a scanline filter onto it.

• 
TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I like smooth.

Rising World and 7 days to die do good voxel

Kenlog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kenlog
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

Definitely smooth pixels :P Chunky pixels are great in Minecraft, got used to them, but in retro paltformers i like them smooth. It's a lot to do with my eyesight, i feel like i am stressing my eyes with chunkier textures, can't play for long periods this way. Smooth gives the modernized retro feeling that quite fills the gap

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

If the scaling algorythm works in the game I'm playing, sharp, smoothed sprites do look nice. I can't stand blurry or inaccurate smoothing filters though - it looks to me like poorly compressed video artifacts... Either that, or it misinterprets the shape of the Sprite.

If the game does not play nice with the scaler/filter, I prefer chunky pixels, because at least they look correct.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

Since we used to play games on CRT TV, the sprites used a few touches in the form of colored pixels, which blended through the glow of the television and were sharpened by the interlaced signal. Blowing those pixels out in modern displays without interpolation scaling will make the art appear to be random and cluttered unlike today's indie games. With that being said, I still think that a classic game looks better with scaling algorithms than a new retro game without it, because what made us enjoy it - the artistic direction - is still there. It was conceived for the limitation. New games are only mimicking it.

Edit: I hate it when scanlines are an overlay on top of full resolution, because they won't improve the performance of the game, like one rendering only every other line should.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

I turn on smoothing and similar options whenever possible. It makes a big difference. It's the difference between seeing a smooth line and a jagged line during gameplay.

I play Sega Genesis games on Xbox Live arcade. The smoothing option makes a noticeable difference. Turning off smoothing makes the games look worse.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

There's nothing worse than low res pixel art that's been over smoothed. It just looks like a blurry mess. IMO, it's either got to be sharp pixel art or smooth higher resolution imagery (note I don't mean "realistic" - it could still be sprite art)

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

I'm not fussed. I play games with both and don't find myself wishing they were the type they're not.