blockbuster1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blockbuster1994
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

Hi all. As a kid, I was an avid SNES player, and won the 1994 Blockbuster World Video Game Championships for my state. I went to the national finals, and the tournament had an aspect of being like E3, with all the vendors exhibiting their latest stuff. E3 didn’t exist back then, so us kids were in heaven, and we joked that we’d rather stay at the booths than compete in the tournament.

Anyway, I was a packrat, and saved EVERYTHING. All the stuff I won and the prizes my local Blockuster gave me. All the letters and correspondence the national Blockbuster sent me, including all the paperwork explaining how the contest was structured (the games played, how they’d be scored, the schedule of events, etc). Most of the clothing, the competitors bib, and all the swag they give you for participating. All the posters I picked up from the exhibitors halls.

I’m thinking of finally parting with this stuff. It’s been 22 years, and maybe someone else would like to look at this stuff and have it. Do people care about this type of historical stuff? Is it worth throwing on eBay?

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@blockbuster1994: I would look to see if one of the museums has interest in these items first. I remember wanting to compete in this tournament but I was not allowed to by my parents at the time. I did compete in the Nintendo World Championships a few years earlier though, I still have all of the freebies I received at that event. Seems like the items that have any value are the games from the event, though I don't see very much on ebay right now, nor sold recently.

If I personally had someone offer it to me I wouldn't say no, but I'd still recommend the museum first, one of them might have something specific to gaming world championships planned out. In a way, it is a pre-cursor to modern e-sports.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#3 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I am sure a museum, or somebody into the history of Blockbuster, gaming, etc would be interested in something like this.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Hold on to them for a bit longer then sell them.

ibrahim_faraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 ibrahim_faraj
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

@blockbuster1994: I would be very interested in buying them