Anyone here ever played Final Fantasy II and III ? (Famicom)

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3223 Posts

As you may know the original versions of FF 2 and 3 never came out of Japan and the only versions that we got were the remakes only. I'm now started to get in the FF games and I finished all three original FF games which was FF 1 for the NES and 2 and 3 Famicom versions but in a fan English translations and so far in the middle of playing FF IV. What did you guys think of 2 and 3?

I liked how in FF 2 it was the first game in the series that had a story and while not as good compared to other rpgs after the 8 bit era, it at least had a story compared to FF 1 which didn't. And also I like the very dark theme to it as well plus I felt that it had a very little lighthearted moments compared to later FF games. My only issue was the leveling up system because you have to specifically use every weapon types and magic in order to upgrade them and to earn more mp, and you also have dumb things like hurting yourself a lot in order to gain more health points and upgraded armor. The fact that you have to do all of this to your character made me feel that it wasted a lot of times and because of that it hurts the game in my opinion. Then you also have Ultima which was suppose to be the best spell in the game but instead became useless because it was bugged out since it wasn't properly developed well in the game. And oh the trap doors in the dungeons such as well.

Final Fantasy 3 in the other hand is my favorite game in the original series because the gameplay is much better. The game also has a interesting story but like FF 2 it is also not as much as compared to other FF games after it and the theme is way more lighthearted compared to FF 2. Plus I liked the class jobs where you can choose to make your characters into other classes though there were some class jobs that I felt were useless. But still they were fun to play around. And there was more soundtrack, improved dungeons, and a bigger map in the game too which gave it a better experience for me and with the gameplay mechanics that were also improved in the game overall made it the superior game in the FF 8 bit series. I wish this game had a 2D remake like FF 1 and 2 did instead of that 3D one to be honest.

So too bad both original games never came outside of Japan. I really feel that people who never played both of them and enjoy old school jrpgs should try them out but sadly you can only play them in a fan translation instead.

And yes sorry for the big post btw :)

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

final fantasy 2 i emulated, it felt like the first game with a crappier leveling system. that said, it's ridiculously exploitable with an emulator, i maxed pretty much everything(cept spells) in the first area of the game by changing the game speed to 6400x everytime i went into battle, took maybe an hour.

i played 3 on a ds, i just remember the later dungeons being ridiculously brutal.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Yeah I remember making my characters attack each other in ff2 to gain hp

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AcidTango

@tab134 said:

final fantasy 2 i emulated, it felt like the first game with a crappier leveling system. that said, it's ridiculously exploitable with an emulator, i maxed pretty much everything(cept spells) in the first area of the game by changing the game speed to 6400x everytime i went into battle, took maybe an hour.

i played 3 on a ds, i just remember the later dungeons being ridiculously brutal.

I know for original FFIII the last part of the game before you fight the Cloud Of Darkness is almost impossible to beat because you have to fight those four bosses that would always kill my party members with one hit so I have to go back and start the whole final tower and then reach them and fight them again each and one of them, and finally you have the last boss where you ether defeat it or guess what you go back to the tower again. That really was the most frustrated part of the game.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I've never played the Famicon versions, but I have played the PSP version of FF2 and the DS version of FF3.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#6 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

I own and have played through both of these games on the Famicon. FFII was enjoyable but nothing to write home about. FFIII on the other hand was awesome. After playing through them I could not understand why they were skipped over for the US. I know FFIII has been released on the DS now, but it has updated graphics and is not the same nostalgic/retro experience.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AcidTango

@Amnesiac23 said:

I own and have played through both of these games on the Famicon. FFII was enjoyable but nothing to write home about. FFIII on the other hand was awesome. After playing through them I could not understand why they were skipped over for the US. I know FFIII has been released on the DS now, but it has updated graphics and is not the same nostalgic/retro experience.

Yeah I know what you mean about FFIII on the DS. Not bashing the game or anything but it would of been better if they made a 2D remake instead.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I've played Final Fantasy II on PS1 and III on DS. Never played the Famicom versions.