Why can't America just legalize recreational Marijuana on a federal level why must we have to play this stupid game?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It pisses me off more then anything that the U.S is so backwards when it comes to weed we still have some doctors, cops and teachers pushing the anti-Marijuana propaganda reefer madness bullshit when the facts are out there. It's 2019 and states like NY are getting push back from these types of people and it makes me sick. The benefits of Marijuana outweigh the negative on so many levels also taxing it can help build schools and fix city infrastructures it also can help people kick their opioid addictions which is a REAL crisis that causes people to die everyday but I guess that's ok since our doctors are getting rich from it and I guess it's ok that police can make their quota while you sit behind bars and the teachers can think of the children all they want but news flash they are smoking it less when it is legal. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/11/following-marijuana-legalization-teen-drug-use-is-down-in-colorado/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.586895791273.

So in closing do you think America will ever get out of this 1950's mindset?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@warmblur said:

Trump is president in part because he got people to buy into the nostalgia of the 50s and some of the 80's, so no, I don't think we will.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

Things are much better than they were though. And getting better.

Not to mention Trump won't be president forever, and the boomers are on their way out thank god.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

Although it's pretty dumb how we still can't talk about usage on here. Many GS users now live in areas where it's 100% legal.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Because the GOP is backwards on the most popular issues.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#6 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Ah, Mary Jane.

Just did a warrant on an indoor grow last week, seized 400+ plants. After fines and all that jazz, possibly seize the house. They're basically like Hydra, cut off one head and another will be there to take its place. Good money though for the municipality/county in regulating and instituting fines.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Marijuana cuts into other industries and doesn't have a national level corporate sponsor. So they'll have their shitty lobbies fighting it up to the bitter end. It's about as simple as that.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@warmblur said:

It pisses me off more then anything that the U.S is so backwards when it comes to weed we still have some doctors, cops and teachers pushing the anti-Marijuana propaganda reefer madness bullshit when the facts are out there. It's 2019 and states like NY are getting push back from these types of people and it makes me sick. The benefits of Marijuana outweigh the negative on so many levels also taxing it can help build schools and fix city infrastructures it also can help people kick their opioid addictions which is a REAL crisis that causes people to die everyday but I guess that's ok since our doctors are getting rich from it and I guess it's ok that police can make their quota while you sit behind bars and the teachers can think of the children all they want but news flash they are smoking it less when it is legal. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/11/following-marijuana-legalization-teen-drug-use-is-down-in-colorado/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.586895791273.

Ask Democrat dominated Congress to create the bill for Trump to sign.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/trump-issues-signing-statement-on-medical-marijuana-provision-of-funding-bill/

President Trump said during his 2016 election campaign that he supports the right of states to legalize marijuana and that he personally supports medical cannabis. But in signing a federal spending bill into law on Friday that contains a rider preventing the Justice Department from interfering in state medical marijuana laws, the president went out of his way to make clear that he reserves the right to ignore the cannabis provision.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

The Government needs to start issuing License/Permits for allowing using Marijuana & Weed. This wouldn't be an issue and I'm paying Tax for it damn it!

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I guess the loss of brain cells and more impaired drivers on the road isn’t a big concern anymore.

Huh.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

It's funny because in the area I live there's a lot of cultivation, and these people are making so much money from sales and generating so much money for the state from taxes...

...but they can't put it in the bank :( If they buy a house with the cash, they risk having it seized because there are federal laws concerning home ownership (specifically tax laws).

It's pretty terrible because these people work their asses off just like any other farmer in this great state does, only they can't put their money to good use, plan for their future, and so forth.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Ah, Mary Jane.

Just did a warrant on an indoor grow last week, seized 400+ plants. After fines and all that jazz, possibly seize the house. They're basically like Hydra, cut off one head and another will be there to take its place. Good money though for the municipality/county in regulating and instituting fines.

Even better money from taxing it, though.

Alaska$39.5 millionMassachusetts$106 million
California$2.75 billionNevada$102.7 million
Colorado$1.56 billionOregon$777.6 million
District of Columbia$17.7 millionWashington$1 billion
Maine$83.4 million

Courtesy of Forbes. It's worth noting these are in states where it's legal or decriminalized for recreational use. There is also a lot of revenue from medical usage in many other states.

A lot more revenue than seizing a few houses, at least.

What is your personal opinion on cannabis use and legalization? As a LEO I imagine you need to be careful what you say, but do you actually believe that locking people up over cannabis is a worthy cause? Or are you a "the law is the law" type? Not trying to hassle you, I am genuinely curious. I know a few cops who were very happy they didn't have to waste any more time arresting stoners (California).

*Hail Hydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Sevenizz said:

I guess the loss of brain cells and more impaired drivers on the road isn’t a big concern anymore.

Huh.

It never was alcohol is still legal..... also weed doesn't kill brain cells that's propaganda that started by the failing Richard Nixon.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25

@warmblur said:
@Sevenizz said:

Huh.

It never was alcohol is still legal..... also weed doesn't kill brain cells that's propaganda that started by the failing Richard Nixon.

Yeah, it's very tough to think of any negatives when it comes to cannabis.

I guess if you smoke too much, it can be harmful to your lungs. But let's be honest not a lot of people smoke weed like some people smoke tobacco. Plus, with edibles, tinctures, vaporizers, and other ways of getting THC and CBD into your system, you don't have to smoke at all if you don't want to.

It does make people a little absent-minded and forgetful, but honestly sometimes that is needed to help reduce anxiety; slows the brain down a bit so you stop thinking about other people and stressing out. It also goes away as soon as you're not stoned; people just think it affects you more because they told you something while you were high and can't remember it. Not that I remember what I do all the time when I drink, but whatever no double standards, right?

That's about it. Not even all that bad.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Because we're a country comprised primarily of and with a government controlled primarily by dumbass puritans, full stop.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
@Serraph105 said:
@warmblur said:

Trump is president in part because he got people to buy into the nostalgia of the 50s and some of the 80's, so no, I don't think we will.

yes we will

the people who remember those "great old days" will sooner or later be dead

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

The war on drugs is the number one reason cited by most areas for the militarization of the police. There are a lot of prisons/jails in this "free" nation. The war on drugs is the number one thing filling them. F@#K the war on drugs, and anyone that supports it should be ashamed.

You have drinkers, and pill takers, voting against any thing "pro-cannabis" on the ballots. They love to hypocritically look down on those enjoy cannabis.

Church after church is telling their members it is evil, and shouldn't be legalized. With project blitz in play they aren't stopping there. They are determined to devolve this nation into something resembling a theocracy.

It rivals multiple industries including pharma. Digs into the pockets of quite a bit of the establishment.

The war on drugs was a very bad idea by Nixon, and later doubled down with by Reagan. It is one of the most anti-American policies put in place in the last several decades.

When it comes to cannabis, I think federal legalization is pretty much inevitable despite the crap-tastic policies from before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@warmblur said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/marijuana-er-visits-climb-in-denver-hospital-study/ar-BBVdISF?OCID=ansmsnnews11

It's got its dangers, like many drugs. Still think it should be legal, but please dont try to push this miracle drug BS.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@theone86 said:

Because we're a country comprised primarily of and with a government controlled primarily by dumbass puritans, full stop.

That claim let's those responsible for originally creating the war on drugs off a little easy, don't you think?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@sonicare said:
@warmblur said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/marijuana-er-visits-climb-in-denver-hospital-study/ar-BBVdISF?OCID=ansmsnnews11

It's got its dangers, like many drugs. Still think it should be legal, but please dont try to push this miracle drug BS.

According to your source, 1 to 2 daily visits to the ER, mostly for panic attacks (i.e. psychosomatic). Wonder how many people come in due to alcohol or the result of someone else drinking. Or, you know, gunshot wounds.

Anything is going to have a subgroup of people who just **** it up. Even lawn darts. I wouldn't call 1-2 extra ER visits a day a public crisis. Alcohol, on the other hand...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@br0kenrabbit said:
@sonicare said:
@warmblur said:

According to your source, 1 to 2 daily visits to the ER, mostly for panic attacks (i.e. psychosomatic). Wonder how many people come in due to alcohol or the result of someone else drinking. Or, you know, gunshot wounds.

Anything is going to have a subgroup of people who just **** it up. Even lawn darts. I wouldn't call 1-2 extra ER visits a day a public crisis. Alcohol, on the other hand...

Dont ever quote me again.

Retrofuture504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Retrofuture504
Member since 2016 • 34 Posts

The bigger problem is why drug test still exist in 2019...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@sonicare said:

Why not?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@br0kenrabbit said:
@sonicare said:

Why not?

because I'm the worst poster on these forum hands down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

It might cut in to all those Zoloft prescriptions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@Nuck81 said:

It might cut in to all those Zoloft prescriptions

But it would boost frito-lays profits by 5000%

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theone86
@mattbbpl said:
@theone86 said:

That claim let's those responsible for originally creating the war on drugs off a little easy, don't you think?

No, they're the dumbass puritans I'm talking about.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Move to a state where it's legal. I mean if I was single, I'd move to a state where prostitution is legal.

He He. Actually I was already. But, I had to move out.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@theone86: What I mean is that it whitewashes their motivations because "they thought they were doing the right thing" or " they thought it was moral," instead of "they willfully destroyed peoples' lives for political gain."

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theone86
@mattbbpl said:

@theone86: What I mean is that it whitewashes their motivations because "they thought they were doing the right thing" or " they thought it was moral," instead of "they willfully destroyed peoples' lives for political gain."

Can't it be both?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl

@theone86: Sure, I just don't want to lose sight of the one.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 theone86

@mattbbpl: My thing is, I don't think they ever could have been successful in the first place except in a country so stubbornly and unthinkingly puritanical as the U.S. I actually have a theory I've been meaning to develop that puritanicalism has managed to transcend other social divides and is actually the governing principle of our society. Anyway, of course there have been fear-mongers and profiteers who have created the problem and continue to exacerbate it, but their crap never would have flown except in a society that cares so much about forcing a subjective standard of moral decency on everyone else. If Anslinger would have gotten up and created the same panic about drugs, but been met with a public that was less invested in using the government as a moral cudgel then the war on drugs would never have happened.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Because America is run by the western equivalent of the Taliban.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mrbojangles25

@SUD123456 said:

Loading Video...

Newsroom is a guilty pleasure. It's a bit self-righteous and preachy at times, but it's still pretty good.

*skip to 5:00 if you don't have six minutes to spare.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@SUD123456 said:

Loading Video...

Newsroom is a guilty pleasure. It's a bit self-righteous and preachy at times, but it's still pretty good.

*skip to 5:00 if you don't have six minutes to spare.

I watched it all and laughed as it is pretty much how I see it too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

There is scientific evidence that marijuana hinders brain development before someone turns 25.

I'd say that's a pretty big negative, especially now living in a country that just legalized it, is selling trash as product (I've been told all the black market stuff is still 100 times better) and is allowing the legal distribution network to sell products to people under the age of 25 (but above 18/19).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@warmblur said:

Can you please explain why it matters what is legal and illegal on a federal level when your state can have it legal and it´s legal and there is literally nothing the Federal government can do.

So this seems like a pretty useless thread to start, Maybe try again and you should put "Why do I and my state vote for people that do not want us to smoke weed every day"

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@mrbojangles25: Yeah, but the fines collected from illegal grows not only self-fund the teams not also goes to other department needs as well. The asset being forfeited is less lucrative for the house due to huge environmental issues and biohazard issues with the home; toxic mold which renders the house uninhabitable.

What people do in the privacy of their home is their business now, assuming it's not being a nuisance to the community (like illegal grows). I've taken a ungodly amount of reports stemming from Marijuana, especially weed rips when end up with a home invasion, murder, robberies, or other "Jerry Springer" esque drama. It's a prime vice product in lower socio-economic areas just like alcohol now. I can't stand the smell though, but I'd choose someone high on marijuana over being drunk anyday. I've never fought someone *just* high on marijuana (because the crazy indulge themselves on many other products with marijuana). I've fight a stupid amount of people drunk. Alcohol causes so many damn problems by the irresponsible.

California really doesn't lock people up for possession anymore, of any narcotic, except for certain circumstances (sex offender registrant). Meth pipes, and needles are extremely common now. So common that I rarely charge them for being in possession of narcotics paraphernalia... Because the juice isn't worth the squeeze (unless again, sex offender). That's my main issue with marijuana - the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. Go after the illegal dealers, but it's the tweakers hooked on the narcotics that commit the majority of property crimes. At least when certain narcotics were felonies, they would have mandatory court appearances and the judge can impose drug court, including narcotics anonymous classes, or treatment programs. The issue is that many drug users simply can't get clean, mental illness from the narcotics abuse had enveloped their lives; now the cycle is perpetual.

There's been a new push for targeting users who smoke and drive. It's a pretty big issue. I'm not DRE trained though, so I don't deal with DUI by drugs, just alcohol. It's a common expectation to see usage of marijuana go up with legalization, along with people who think it's okay to drive under the influence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Jacanuk said:
@warmblur said:

Can you please explain why it matters what is legal and illegal on a federal level when your state can have it legal and it´s legal and there is literally nothing the Federal government can do.

So this seems like a pretty useless thread to start, Maybe try again and you should put "Why do I and my state vote for people that do not want us to smoke weed every day"

The more important question why are you against it?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@warmblur said:

The more important question why are you against it?

Who said I was against it? or for it? I was making a point about the legality and that the important thing is the state you live in not federal law.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Legalize it and then tax the shit out of it. It's a win for everybody. Stop putting people in jail for marijuana crimes = less government dollars spent on incarcerating low level criminals. Capitalize marijuana = win for right wingers. Tax marijuana = win for left wingers.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I dunno if I want marijuana legalized unless there are designated smoking areas. Weed really stinks and I don't wanna smell it all over the place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@sonicare said:

Legalize it and then tax the shit out of it. It's a win for everybody. Stop putting people in jail for marijuana crimes = less government dollars spent on incarcerating low level criminals. Capitalize marijuana = win for right wingers. Tax marijuana = win for left wingers.

This

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@Celsius765 said:

I dunno if I want marijuana legalized unless there are designated smoking areas. Weed really stinks and I don't wanna smell it all over the place.

Make it like regular cigarettes. Illegal in public areas.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@sonicare said:
@Celsius765 said:

Make it like regular cigarettes. Illegal in public areas.

That's the current mantra in California. Sure is lovely when your neighbors smoke either in their backyard... especially when the wind is in direction of your residence.

I need to move out of the city.