Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

So this is a different sort of topic than I normally post. I want people to make a list of the things they see as helping to create demand in the free-market capitalist system that we have in the world, and I want you to explain why you think these items could help.

So here's my list:

1. Education - Getting people to learn new things will help them explore new ideas and concepts which will help them come up with new and evolved ideas on how to fo things. Some of this will lead to marketing new products and services that people may be interested in.

2. Scientific research which will largely do the same thing as above.

3. Data analytics to figure out what people are currently interested in and what shortcomings they are currently experiencing so that they can be improved in the future.

4. Better infrastructure so that things can be moved faster and ideas are shared more quickly.

5. Finally development in new technology. A great example of this is NASA who has helped develop loads of technology that society uses on a regular basis every day.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Education, infrastructure, and direct services.

Education isn't really a direct stimulus, but it allows people to specialize their skills for a higher paying market and builds up one of the few comparative advantages viable in an economy like ours,

Infrastructure and direct services (largely) can't have their production offshored and later imported. Only the materials and components required for those tasks can be. Infrastructure has the additional benefit of making our economic environment more efficient so that facilitating activities such as communication and transportation can be accomplished more easily.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105

@mattbbpl: Yes, there's definitely more to infrastructure than just transportation.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

The government needs to invest in education, healthcare, infrastructure, military and lastly independence in terms of goods and fuel.

virtuous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By virtuous
Member since 2017 • 51 Posts

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

So this is a different sort of topic than I normally post. I want people to make a list of the things they see as helping to create demand in the free-market capitalist system that we have in the world, and I want you to explain why you think these items could help.

So here's my list:

1. Education - Getting people to learn new things will help them explore new ideas and concepts which will help them come up with new and evolved ideas on how to fo things. Some of this will lead to marketing new products and services that people may be interested in.

3. Data analytics to figure out what people are currently interested in and what shortcomings they are currently experiencing so that they can be improved in the future.

4. Better infrastructure so that things can be moved faster and ideas are shared more quickly.

5. Finally development in new technology. A great example of this is NASA who has helped develop loads of technology that society uses on a regular basis every day.

Except none of those things you posted is a market and in a free market system demand is not created artificially by a centralized bureaucracy. I don't think you have a very coherent grasp of how economics work or even the proper relationship between government, the economy and the citizens.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

The government needs to invest in education, healthcare, infrastructure, military and lastly independence in terms of goods and fuel.

Right because we clearly don't spend enough on the military already. The rest of your list I agree with.

virtuous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By virtuous

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

So here's my list:

Except none of those things you posted is a market and in a free market system demand is not created artificially by a centralized bureaucracy. I don't think you have a very coherent grasp of how economics work or even the proper relationship between government and the citizens.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105

@virtuous said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

So here's my list:

Except none of those things you posted is a market and in a free market system demand is not created artificially by a centralized bureaucracy. I don't think you have a very coherent grasp of how economics work or even the proper relationship between government, the economy and the citizens.

I said it would help create demand not create a market, and yeah technically it would be a market influenced by outside sources, but what free market system wouldn't be?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105

@virtuous said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

So here's my list:

Except none of those things you posted is a market and in a free market system demand is not created artificially by a centralized bureaucracy. I don't think you have a very coherent grasp of how economics work or even the proper relationship between government and the citizens.

1. Education is a choice, if you want your children to get a good education then raise them right and send them to good school a law can not make a person get educated and frankly the common lot in society the 90% of the population or so have little interest in a real education anyway so it would be a waste of resources to try.

3.. Data analytics it's not the governments job to decide what people want to buy and sell this is not a communist dictatorship with a command economy.

2/5. The government is not responsible for scientific research that is a private endeavor if it's valid research of public or economic value private sources of funding are not hard to find.

It's getting hard to tell the difference between a liberal and a Stalinist.

It's worth noting that this topic is supposed to be about posting your own ideas, and not about spending your entire time critiquing others without first contributing.

virtuous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By virtuous

@Serraph105:

It's also worth noting you seem to think the government should control everything so it's safe to dismiss you as a communist.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Serraph105

@virtuous said:

@Serraph105:

It's also worth noting you seem to think the government should control everything so it's safe to dismiss you as a communist.

If all you wish to do is name call then please leave.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl

@virtuous said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

So here's my list:

There are indeed markets for education, scientific research, data analytics, technologies, and infrastructure.

Demand absolutely can be stimulated by "a central bureaucracy". It is the central idea behind both fiscal and monetary policy - that such actions can positively or negatively impact economic growth.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@virtuous said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

So here's my list:

There are indeed markets for education, scientific research, data analytics, technologies, and infrastructure.

Demand absolutely can be stimulated by "a central bureaucracy". It is the central idea behind both fiscal and monetary policy - that such actions can positively or negatively impact economic growth.

Well he was strictly talking about a free market system and in that case he is right. The problem is, like you, I, and almost everyone else here knows, a free market economy doesn't exist, and it doesn't exist for a good reason. This is all made even more humorous by his attempting to criticize other peoples knowledge of economics.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mattbbpl

@Nick3306 said:
@mattbbpl said:

Well he was strictly talking about a free market system and in that case he is right. The problem is, like you, I, and almost everyone else here knows, a free market economy doesn't exist, and it doesn't exist for a good reason. This is all made even more humorous by his attempting to criticize other peoples knowledge of economics.

That's exactly right. If he's referring to a purely free market then he's drawing from an empty well. If he's referring to what is generally considered a market - where companies are willing to provide said goods/services and customers are willing to pay for said goods and services - then every one of those is a market.

virtuous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 virtuous

War

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

You cant go wrong by investing in education. Like to see them invest in the Mars mission as well. The mission to the moon helped launch a lot of science careers and paid for itself with all the technology that came into the market.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

Healthcare, Education, Infrastructure, Alternative Fuels.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

We already invest in all those things. If you want them to invest more, then we need to refer to the balance of economies. It would be like asking you to donate an additional % of your income into all these ventures, you could but you might have to give something else up in return. If you can afford to do so then by all means, please donate to the NEA to improve public education or the institute of sustainable infrastructure...why you no donate?...oh that's right, you want everyone's taxes to go higher instead or maybe you live in a fantasy world and don't realize you already pay for these things (assuming you work)...makes sense.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

We already invest in all those things. If you want them to invest more, then we need to refer to the balance of economies. It would be like asking you to donate an additional % of your income into all these ventures, you could but you might have to give something else up in return. If you can afford to do so then by all means, please donate to the NEA to improve public education or the institute of sustainable infrastructure...why you no donate?...oh that's right, you want everyone's taxes to go higher instead or maybe you live in a fantasy world and don't realize you already pay for these things (assuming you work)...makes sense.

Less military spending..........

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'd also like to invest in the children. We need to teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Pogs. Alf pogs.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@virtuous said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

So here's my list:

This. A free market system would minimize government interference regardless of whether the intent is to "help" or not.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@bmanva said:
@virtuous said:

@Serraph105:

@Serraph105 said:

So here's my list:

This. A free market system would minimize government interference regardless of whether the intent is to "help" or not.

This is a Utopian idea, its not applying how power and money work in the real world. I get it, i would consider myself a marxist if we were discussing Utopian ideas, but its not something id attempt to apply to the real world because i know its not how mankind works. So even if we wanted to go with this idea of minimized government in the "free market", we have all of human history to demonstrate that we would be counting down the seconds before someone with more money and power, started removing the "free market" in order to gain more money and power... this is Orwell 101.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16566 Posts

@Serraph105: scrapping the patent system would drive innovations to new heights and promote un precedented prosoperity for the middle and lower class.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Serraph105

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@Serraph105: scrapping the patent system would drive innovations to new heights and promote un precedented prosoperity for the middle and lower class.

I think there's a lot more nuance to the issue than that, but also I'm not the one who's been arguing with you. Why do you keep telling me?

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3739 Posts

Education, healthcare, infrastructure. Imagine how much better things would be if we didn't spend trillions on bombing other countries and instead spent our taxes on really protecting ourselves with quality healthcare, like Canadians do.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Infrastructure and healthcare seem to be the main concerns.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

You got some Zero Hedge articles to back that up, fam?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@perfect_blue said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

You got some Zero Hedge articles to back that up, fam?

No, but I have gallup polls to back them up.