Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Good for the UK that those far-left muppets didn´t get to stop the visit.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

You guys can keep him there.............

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Along with Boris "Trump" Johnson? I don't think the Brits can handle that. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts
@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Best case scenario they'd cancel each other out, worst case scenario Europe explodes. Either way it would probably be less painful than waiting for 2020 (and then some...)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Maybe they can switch places :) no one would be able to tell the difference.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#7  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

Trump's trip has been downgraded from a state visit (which is what many Brits were opposing) to a working visit.

And just for the record, YouGov polls show that 77% of Brits dislike Trump and only 11% like him.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk

@Jag85 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Trump's trip has been downgraded from a state visit (which is what many Brits were opposing) to a working visit.

And just for the record, YouGov polls show that 77% of Brits hate Trump and only 11% like him.

Semantics, I love that the sheep think calling it something else will negate the fact that it´s a world leader visiting the UK.

And what does liking him have anything to do with accepting the world leader visiting?

You don´t have to like him to see that having an ally visit is a good thing or accepting it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Wow such intolerance to differing opinions. Hard to take you seriously.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Trump has succeeded in making Theresa May look incredibly weak during this visit. I can't see her lasting much longer now.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jacanuk

@mandzilla said:

Trump has succeeded in making Theresa May look incredibly weak during this visit. I can't see her lasting much longer now.

Well, let´s see

But a new stronger leader and someone who is not afraid to do a hard Brexit would be good.

But May is better than Cobyn so let´s hope he doesn´t get to weasel his way to power.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jag85

@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:

Well, let´s see

But a new stronger leader and someone who is not afraid to do a hard Brexit would be good.

Do you mean that muppet Boris Johnson?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@Jag85 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:

Well, let´s see

Do you mean that muppet Boris Johnson?

No i meant anyone but Corbyn

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mandzilla  Moderator
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:

Well, let´s see

But May is better than Cobyn so let´s hope he doesn´t get to weasel his way to power.

I don't see Corbyn doing any worse than Theresa May, that would be quite a feat. Anyway like you said, let's wait and see.

Interesting that Labour now move ahead to 39%, while the Conservatives dip to 37% in the latest YouGov poll.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@mandzilla said:

remind me, why is Brexit a good thing? I forget

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mandzilla  Moderator
@tryit said:
@mandzilla said:

It's a good thing from a masochist's perspective I guess.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk

@mandzilla said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:

Well, let´s see

I don't see Corbyn doing any worse than Theresa May, that would be quite a feat. Anyway like you said, let's wait and see.

Interesting that Labour now move ahead to 39%, while the Conservatives dip to 37% in the latest YouGov poll.

Well, Corbyn is for staying, he is for a north Ireland joining Ireland and also for an independent Scotland.

So having him as a leader would destroy the UK and most likely allow for a second referendum about Brexit.

Ya, Labour is moving a bit forward, but YouGov is not the most accurate poll you can find.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mandzilla  Moderator
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:

Well, let´s see

Well, Corbyn is for staying, he is for a north Ireland joining Ireland and also for an independent Scotland.

So having him as a leader would destroy the UK and most likely allow for a second referendum about Brexit.

Ya, Labour is moving a bit forward, but YouGov is not the most accurate poll you can find.

Corbyn is for staying in the single market and customs union, but has thrown his weight behind leaving the EU. You could say he is for a soft Brexit, while many Conservatives prefer a hard Brexit.

I'm not so sure he is in favour of an independent Scotland, or unified Ireland though. I'd imagine most Scots who desire independence would rather vote SNP, than place their trust in Labour over this issue. In terms of a second referendum, at the very least I think allowing people to have a say on the final negotiated Brexit deal before it is accepted can only be a good thing for democracy, no?

Well YouGov accurately predicted the outcome of the last general election, when many others did not. You're right though, polls can be off a bit, but YouGov is at least better than any of its competitors I would say.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@mandzilla said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:

Well, let´s see

Corbyn is for staying in the single market and customs union, but has thrown his weight behind leaving the EU. You could say he is for a soft Brexit, while many Conservatives prefer a hard Brexit.

I'm not so sure he is in favour of an independent Scotland, or unified Ireland though. I'd imagine most Scots who desire independence would rather vote SNP, than place their trust in Labour over this issue. In terms of a second referendum, at the very least I think allowing people to have a say on the final negotiated Brexit deal before it is accepted can only be a good thing for democracy, no?

Well YouGov accurately predicted the outcome of the last general election, when many others did not. You're right though, polls can be off a bit, but YouGov is at least better than any of its competitors I would say.

Ya, Corbyn is also for a second referendum, or at least he was before the latest election, he may have changed his tune a bit during the campaign to not alienate.

Also didn´t Corbyn visit North Ireland and say there that he for a referendum on a unification? I am sure I read that. And ya i am sure the scottish who are for independence is backing SNP, which is probably why they lost such a huge amount of seats during the last election.

Hmm, YouGov has improved a lot, the idea about them was they did polls by randomly sending out spam emails to people.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Why did trump backpedal? Said to the Sun US-UK deal off, then on camera says more or less a deal will happen.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mandzilla  Moderator
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mandzilla said:
@Jacanuk said:

Well, let´s see

Ya, Corbyn is also for a second referendum, or at least he was before the latest election, he may have changed his tune a bit during the campaign to not alienate.

Also didn´t Corbyn visit North Ireland and say there that he for a referendum on a unification? I am sure I read that. And ya i am sure the scottish who are for independence is backing SNP, which is probably why they lost such a huge amount of seats during the last election.

Hmm, YouGov has improved a lot, the idea about them was they did polls by randomly sending out spam emails to people.

I think he was, but like you say has changed his views a bit to try and appeal to more voters. Of course that may also end up alienating some of his original supporters who oppose Brexit. So will be interesting to see how the next election goes for him.

Sounds like something he might have said yes. Then again though, you can be in favour of allowing a referendum while still opposing it personally. Remember, May started out as a remainer, and is now responsible for carrying out Brexit. The SNP previously had 56/59 seats going into the last election. That was unprecedented, and could only realistically go down from there. Still though, they currently have more seats than all of the other parties combined in Scotland.

Yeah, they still aren't perfect of course. Their Brexit poll was inaccurate, though they are usually better for general elections. I think the online polls were closest to predicting the actual result for Brexit actually.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jag85
@mandzilla said:
@Jacanuk said:

I think he was, but like you say has changed his views a bit to try and appeal to more voters. Of course that may also end up alienating some of his original supporters who oppose Brexit. So will be interesting to see how the next election goes for him.

Sounds like something he might have said yes. Then again though, you can be in favour of allowing a referendum while still opposing it personally. Remember, May started out as a remainer, and is now responsible for carrying out Brexit. The SNP previously had 56/59 seats going into the last election. That was unprecedented, and could only realistically go down from there. Still though, they currently have more seats than all of the other parties combined in Scotland.

Yeah, they still aren't perfect of course. Their Brexit poll was inaccurate, though they are usually better for general elections. I think the online polls were closest to predicting the actual result for Brexit actually.

YouGov's final Brexit poll was only off by 4% compared to the final result. There will always be a margin of error. In YouGov's case, that margin of error is usually within 5% of the actual result. But in close elections and referendums, a 5% error margin can swing the vote either way.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacanuk

@Jag85 said:
@mandzilla said:
@Jacanuk said:

YouGov's final Brexit poll was only off by 4% compared to the final result. There will always be a margin of error. In YouGov's case, that margin of error is usually within 5% of the actual result. But in close elections and referendums, a 5% error margin can swing the vote either way.

That is not bad, but as i said they changed a lot from the days of their mass-spam email polls.

Or maybe the way they do it by mass-spamming people is the way to do polls.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#24 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
@Jag85 said:
@Jacanuk said:

And just for the record, YouGov polls show that 77% of Brits dislike Trump and only 11% like him.

You know, I've been wondering if the UK has always been somewhat disdainful of Trump even before he was running for president. Especially when he was seen attending a Sinn Fein (aka the IRA's political branch) fundraiser in New York during the 90's

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jag85
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jag85 said:

You know, I've been wondering if the UK has always been somewhat disdainful of Trump even before he was running for president. Especially when he was seen attending a Sinn Fein (aka the IRA's political branch) fundraiser in New York during the 90's

I think it's safe to say that most Brits, and most non-Americans, didn't even know who Trump was a decade ago. What Trump was previously most famous for in the US, The Apprentice, didn't feature him at all in international versions, with the UK version instead featuring Alan Sugar as the boss man.

Most Brits, and most of the world, only became aware of Trump after he entered politics. And most Brits clearly didn't like what they heard from Trump, because his political rhetoric clashes with mainstream British values as well as British hate speech laws. If he wasn't running for presidency, then he likely would've been banned from the UK for hate speech; the UK Home Office has the right to ban foreign hate preachers, but not heads of state (hence Trump was saved from the UK ban hammer). Many Americans might have an issue with the hate speech laws in the UK and other European countries, but it's worth keeping in mind that it's largely the result of Europe historically suffering the devastating consequences of fascist hate speech in the past (i.e. World War II).

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Why did trump backpedal? Said to the Sun US-UK deal off, then on camera says more or less a deal will happen.

Because he is a moron. He can't think for himself. He needs others to help him out.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator

@Jag85 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jag85 said:

I think it's safe to say that most Brits, and most non-Americans, didn't even know who Trump was a decade ago. What Trump was previously most famous for in the US, The Apprentice, didn't feature him at all in international versions, with the UK version instead featuring Alan Sugar as the boss man.

Most Brits, and most of the world, only became aware of Trump after he entered politics. And most Brits clearly didn't like what they heard from Trump, because his political rhetoric clashes with mainstream British values as well as British hate speech laws. If he wasn't running for presidency, then he likely would've been banned from the UK for hate speech; the UK Home Office has the right to ban foreign hate preachers, but not heads of state (hence Trump was saved from the UK ban hammer). Many Americans might have an issue with the hate speech laws in the UK and other European countries, but it's worth keeping in mind that it's largely the result of Europe historically suffering the devastating consequences of fascist hate speech in the past (i.e. World War II).

Eh. He wasn't unheard of before he entered politics. I think I he had an episode in Scotland over some golf course he wanted to build. Also Miss Universe I think.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jacanuk

@Jag85 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jag85 said:

Hmm, Trump was pretty well known to the world and UK if you go by the fact the UK has the apprentice which they got from the US version, not to mention all the roles Trump had in movies and the Miss Universe.

But i guess it´s all up to the person and how much they follow popular pop-culture

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@tryit said:
@mandzilla said:

It's not, majority of brexit votes were either misinformed raceist old people, or old people trolling the next generation

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jag85

@Jacanuk: @horgen:

Let's put the numbers into perspective, from a decade ago:

Trump's biggest success story in the UK was licensing the UK Apprentice. And the UK Apprentice was the Alan Sugar show, not the Trump show, with Trump never shown or ever mentioned on UK Apprentice. Only a small fraction of UK Apprentice viewers would've known about Trump. Furthermore, UK Apprentice itself peaked at about 10 million viewers, which is still a minority of the UK population.

Nothing else Trump did ever reached the heights of UK Apprentice. Miss Universe couldn't even manage a fraction of its ratings, due to the UK's own Miss World being more popular. And his movie appearances were bit-parts, with almost none of those movies being blockbusters in the UK.

While a couple of millions knew who Trump was in the UK, most of the British population didn't know who he was. It was after he got involved with politics, sparking controversy and grabbing headlines, that most of the British population gradually became aware of Trump. Which left a negative first impression. And the same is true for most of the world.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen  Moderator

@Jag85 said:

Trump's biggest success story in the UK was licensing the UK Apprentice. And the UK Apprentice was the Alan Sugar show, not the Trump show, with Trump never shown or ever mentioned on UK Apprentice. Only a small fraction of UK Apprentice viewers would've known about Trump. Furthermore, UK Apprentice itself peaked at about 10 million viewers, which is still a minority of the UK population.

Nothing else Trump did ever reached the heights of UK Apprentice. Miss Universe couldn't even manage a fraction of its ratings, due to the UK's own Miss World being more popular. And his movie appearances were bit-parts, with almost none of those movies being blockbusters in the UK.

While a couple of millions knew who Trump was in the UK, most of the British population didn't know who he was. It was after he got involved with politics, sparking controversy and grabbing headlines, that most of the British population gradually became aware of Trump. Which left a negative first impression. And the same is true for most of the world.

Completely forgot about Miss World. You haven't missed anything by not knowing who he was.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jacanuk

@Jag85 said:

Well, there is also the Trump plans in Scotland,

But ok as I said you need to be aware of the pop culture to know who he is.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jag85

I knew exactly who Trump was back then. But not many in my social circles knew who he was. And the TV rating numbers show that most Brits didn't know who Trump was either back then.