The smoking age has officially been raised to 21 in the US.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/27/health/us-tobacco-age-21-trnd/index.html

I didn't see this one coming. If you had told me a month ago that this was going to happen I wouldn't have believed you. At any rate, I tend to agree with this decision as smoking is a health hazard that kills a ton of people every year. How about you guys?

Edit. If you want something to debate though, I will say this hardly falls under the realm of small government. Just a thought.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Age to legally be an adult, if the Federal government is going to interfere, should be the same for everything across the board.

A kid can sign up for the Army and die for you but he can't get a smoke? **** that.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Better to make tobacco illegal.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105

@Master_Live said:

Age to legally be an adult, if the Federal government is going to interfere, should be the same for everything across the board.

A kid can sign up for the Army and die for you but he can get a smoke? **** that.

Well, as always, this probably doesn't apply to kids on military bases, but I personally feel that the age to join the army should be raised to 21 as well, or at least raised for combat roles.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@Master_Live said:

A kid can sign up for the Army and die for you but he can get a smoke? **** that.

Well, as always, this probably doesn't apply to kids on military bases, but I personally feel that the age to join the army should be raised to 21 as well, or at least raised for combat roles.

Same! Eighteen is still to damn young.

And like I said, it goes in line with the drinking age in this country.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

The war on drugs disaster has tainted me in this realm. If a legal adult wants to slowly kill himself through tobacco, go for it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@Master_Live said:

As always federal law applies to military installations.

Also removing the military as an option for kids out of high school creates more unemployment. Yay.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Master_Live said:

Also removing the military as an option for kids out of high school creates more unemployment. Yay.

I'm just talking about the idea of removing combat roles from the equation. Last I checked, the military isn't supposed to be about creating employment, or at least that's the argument I have heard in the past.

But how do you feel about the smoking thing?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because this will really stop people from buying it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
@mattbbpl said:

The war on drugs disaster has tainted me in this realm. If a legal adult wants to slowly kill himself through tobacco, go for it.

But isn't one of the big problems with the war on drugs, if not the main problem, that it was designed to hurt minorities so that they would be more likely to get thrown in jail?

Unless I'm mistaken, the intent behind this ruling doesn't seem do anything like that. It's just a recognition that lung cancer has been a serious problem for people who smoke cigarettes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Serraph105 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm just talking about the idea of removing combat roles from the equation. Last I checked, the military isn't supposed to be about creating employment, or at least that's the argument I have heard in the past.

I think government interferes in too many personal issues.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

But isn't one of the big problems with the war on drugs, if not the main problem, that it was designed to hurt minorities so that they would be more likely to get thrown in jail?

Correct.

@Serraph105 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the intent behind this ruling doesn't seem do anything like that. It's just a recognition that lung cancer has been a serious problem for people who smoke cigarettes.

Oh, I'm not arguing that the effects will be the same in the war on drugs in either quantity or kind, I'm attempting to convey that the debate over illegal drugs over the years has changed my position as I've engaged in it - such provisions are generally costly and ineffective, but even more importantly the banned actions are generally victimless so I see little reason for intervention. We're not talking about a product that people don't know is harmful (anymore), and if a legal adult chooses to take on those risks in order to use the substance then I'm OK with that.

But yes, at least we're not throwing people in jail for using it.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Master_Live said:

While combat isn't the only purpose of the military, it is still one of the biggest roles. Three to four years is a long time to make somebody nondeployable due to a new law making it illegal for them to go to combat until they're 21 (the current law is 18) but still allowing them to enlist at 17.

In the case of 17-year olds, it's usually not an issue anyway since most of them turn 18 before they get to their first units. But raise that to 21 and a unit could lose a large portion of their junior enlisted population. Plus, it may make people argue to make enlistments for people under 21 longer to make up for the lost potential time they are available for combat duty.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Honestly this is just silly. Government has no business telling people the correct age for things of this nature.

I wonder if they'll lower taxes as a result. Fat chance.

Wish they'd focus more on improving the quality of life and making the wage gap less severe so people wouldn't have a reason to smoke in the first place. Sorry, but if you smoke, it's usually because you have something wrong, a major stress or problem, in your life. I've never met a smoker* that had their shit together.

*moderate to heavy smoker. You folks that "smoke when you drink" don't count.

Instamixes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Instamixes
Member since 2019 • 45 Posts

It's really good news to hear about smoking age raise from 21 by the government of US.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

This will have better effect I believe than an outright ban. And it prevents a black marked from being created.

The government want less people to smoke. The health effects of smoking costs way more than the taxes the sales of cigarettes might bring in.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Well, that's dumb. They'll be coming for menthols next, claim they're saving the lives of African-Americans.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Never understood casual smoking. You're doing your body pretty much the same amount of damage, so why even do it at all.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Well, that's dumb. They'll be coming for menthols next, claim they're saving the lives of African-Americans.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Never understood casual smoking. You're doing your body pretty much the same amount of damage, so why even do it at all.

I thought that was called party smokers/smoking.

Really surprising the effect of one or a couple of smokes a week compared to nothing or 20 a day.

It is weird though that the government haven't gone after flavouring in cigarettes already.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Serraph105

@ad1x2: "But raise that to 21 and a unit could lose a large portion of their junior enlisted population."

Much like raising the age of tobacco consumption, that's kind of the point. Less troops to work with might mean less war which means less death, and less overall cost to the country's tax payers. Spending a few less trillion on war would hopefully mean that more money could be allocated to positive things like health care.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@horgen said:
@Random_Matt said:

This will have better effect I believe than an outright ban. And it prevents a black marked from being created.

The government want less people to smoke. The health effects of smoking costs way more than the taxes the sales of cigarettes might bring in.

How does it have a better effect than an outright ban? How does it prevents a black marked from being created?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58960 Posts

They should just ban smoking altogether.

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

@Master_Live said:

A kid can sign up for the Army and die for you but he can't get a smoke? **** that.

I think I agree with you. If the legal age to buy booze, guns, and smokes is 21, then so should the voting age be raised to 21.

FFS, if you can't be trusted with the decision to drink and smoke, why would we give you a say in our government?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen

@Master_Live said:
@horgen said:
@Random_Matt said:

How does it have a better effect than an outright ban? How does it prevents a black marked from being created?

An outright ban creates an entirely black marked. Now it is just for teenagers and young adults until 21. Who will most likely buy regular cigarettes either through older people, by using fake ID, or going to places which doesn't ask for ID.

At least this is my experience when it comes to both smoking and alcohol.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serraph105

@comeonman: "I think I agree with you. If the legal age to buy booze, guns, and smokes is 21, then so should the voting age be raised to 21.

FFS, if you can't be trusted with the decision to drink and smoke, why would we give you a say in our government?"

If you are going to take away the right to vote then I think you would need to similarly raise the age of legal adult to 21 as well.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Hey that's cool.

I support anything that hurts big corps with excessive lobbying power.

I don't smoke anymore so I don't really care. It's def a stupid thing to do and it smells like shit - we know that.

Anyone here get stuck in that age range where you smoke, but now technically cannot? I remember my Mom telling me how that happened to her when they raised the drinking age to 21.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

Should just ban them entirely tbh.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Serraph105

@pyro1245: "Anyone here get stuck in that age range where you smoke, but now technically cannot?"

No, but that probably sucks for them though. I assume that it probably doesn't have a lot of political ramifications for the politicians who decided on this.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ad1x2

@Serraph105 said:

@ad1x2: "But raise that to 21 and a unit could lose a large portion of their junior enlisted population."

Much like raising the age of tobacco consumption, that's kind of the point. Less troops to work with might mean less war which means less death, and less overall cost to the country's tax payers. Spending a few less trillion on war would hopefully mean that more money could be allocated to positive things like health care.

Except that's not how war works. I don't agree with them raising the tobacco age to 21, but tobacco is something we can do without. War would be nice to do away with, but unlike legal tobacco use for people under 21, we can't legislate war out of existence. We're just making it harder for the people that will still have to go in situations where we don't have a choice but to send folks over, such as if some dictator or terrorist did something no president regardless of political party could reasonably ignore.

The military will not want to waste billions of dollars training a unit for war when over a third of their E-4 and below population have to stay home when the time for war actually comes, putting more burden on the 21 and over members of the unit. Training a unit is just like training a sports team, they train to work together and if you cut half of their team most of their previous training is not going to work as well among the remaining players.

The military may not be a jobs program, but that doesn't mean it doesn't help people that needed something to look forward to after graduating high school and couldn't afford to wait three years to do it. That and the people that wanted to serve 20 years and looked forward to retiring at 38 would now have to wait until 41 if they can't join prior to 21 at all.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen

@Serraph105 said:

@comeonman: "I think I agree with you. If the legal age to buy booze, guns, and smokes is 21, then so should the voting age be raised to 21.

FFS, if you can't be trusted with the decision to drink and smoke, why would we give you a say in our government?"

If you are going to take away the right to vote then I think you would need to similarly raise the age of legal adult to 21 as well.

Raising the age limit does make more sense in a longer perspective, if the long term goal is to ban cigarettes altogether. Which I believe is the goal in EU or several of the countries in EU.

Healthcare costs(granted link has nothing to do with healthcare costs) and loss of productivity thanks to illness costs way more than extra taxes collected from sales of cigarette smokes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2a4f5973528
deactivated-5f2a4f5973528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f2a4f5973528
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

Yeah.. this is a good step, but won't work. Unfortunately it can't really be enforced reliably, so it's hard to monitor/stop people hurting themselves. It's an addiction, so it can't really be done in moderation either.

That's why I won't ever start.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@brianvansmith said:

Yeah.. this is a good step, but won't work. Unfortunately it can't really be enforced reliably, so it's hard to monitor/stop people hurting themselves. It's an addiction, so it can't really be done in moderation either.

Well it's only an addiction if you start. The goal seems to be to limit those who start at a young age.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Does vaping count?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ad1x2

@LJS9502_basic said:
@brianvansmith said:

Well it's only an addiction if you start. The goal seems to be to limit those who start at a young age.

The goal sounds great in theory, but I have met people that claimed they have been smoking since they were 12 when the minimum age was 18.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2a4f5973528
deactivated-5f2a4f5973528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f2a4f5973528
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

I agree that it's a good idea to delay smoking as much as possible, yet I'm just saying it won't stop the majority of those who will do it early (as ad1x2 said). It's a nice step, but doesn't do much. Thankfully those who don't want that are able to choose never to start!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@brianvansmith said:

The goal sounds great in theory, but I have met people that claimed they have been smoking since they were 12 when the minimum age was 18.

Why I said limit.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 horgen

@LJS9502_basic said:
@ad1x2 said:

Why I said limit.

I assume this also means that any commercials for them are targeted towards adults. If there was no age limit, they could target 12 year old children with those ads. And smoking would most likely be a much bigger problem.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Serraph105: While I understand your sentiment, everyone's job in the military is to kill, no matter what career field you have. My tech school instructor saw combat and he was a technical specialist for fighter aircraft.

Either you make 18-20 year olds non-deployable or you raise the minimum age requirement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#38 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It bothers me how much people have harped on the tobacco thing for years. Yeah it's bad for you, yeah you need to keep it away from others. But it's just another right that we let them take from us.

Whoever really hates Big Tobacco must really be happy with how much they've accomplished.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

This is cute but it isn't going to stop anyone that is curious I had my first smoke when I was 13 I smoked off and on and got pretty hooked in High School but quit almost 10 years ago. I do miss it sometimes but it ain't worth the risk. The thing is teens will always rebel so a age limit wouldn't do shit it's not like the government gives a damn anyways.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Serraph105

@plageus900: My argument was that 18-20 year olds should not be allowed in combat roles.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@Serraph105 said:

@plageus900: My argument was that 18-20 year olds should not be allowed in combat roles.

They are adults at that point. And you seem to be siding with government nanny states.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Serraph105: But what I'm saying is that, even in non-combat roles, you may see combat.

DroidPhysY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DroidPhysY
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

Tobacco should be categorically banned tbh

Along with alcohol, et al

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#44 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Sigh... I don't know. Does this help anybody? Cigarettes and tobacco products are generally terrible and no one should be using them at all.