Should we let this guy buy Trump a beer?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should we let this guy buy Trump a beer? (6 votes)

Yes, Trump should accept. 33%
Trump should buy HIM BEER and give him a crisp high five. 67%

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14/politics/trump-syria-attack-survivor/index.html

This guy seems like a pretty cool guy.

A survivor of a Syrian chemical attack in 2013 wants to buy President Donald Trump a beer to share his experience on the conditions in the country.

Kassem Eid, who told CNN's Ana Cabrera he lived under two years of siege and bombardment by the Syrian government, said he was glad the President has attempted to do something for the Syrian people."I just want to tell Mr. Trump directly: I'm a Syrian refugee who survived chemical weapons attacks, who lived under two years of siege and bombardment by the government," Eid said. "I would love to, like, buy you a beer, and just sit in front of you and tell you how bad it is in Syria." Eid also said he would tell Trump, that he "proved once again, yesterday, that you have a big heart. At least a lot more bigger than Obama because you actually tried to do something. We need real, long-term commitment to bring peace to Syria."The United States, along with the United Kingdom and France, launched coordinated air strikesFriday evening on Syria's chemical weapons capabilities in response to an alleged chemical attack. In a speech announcing the attack, Trump blamed the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

• 
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

I don't think Trump wants a beer with him.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Might just be another Nayirah Kuwaiti because that person doesn't look Syrian at all.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

Syrians are hipsters?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@horgen said:

It would be great PR.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@n64dd said:
@horgen said:

It would be great PR.

It would be conflicting for his image, wouldn't it? Promote America first then grab a beer with a Syrian refugee.

HeadtripHippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By HeadtripHippie
Member since 2013 • 109 Posts

@horgen said:
@n64dd said:
@horgen said:

It would be great PR.

It would be conflicting for his image, wouldn't it? Promote America first then grab a beer with a Syrian refugee.

Not sure he cares about his image. Can you explain why you feel meeting with a refugee is contradictory to an America first policy?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 N64DD

@headtriphippie said:
@horgen said:
@n64dd said:
@horgen said:

It would be great PR.

Not sure he cares about his image. Can you explain why you feel meeting with a refugee is contradictory to an America first policy?

We kind of refused to take them in?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@headtriphippie said:

Creating more refugees in another country and at the same time giving them the middle finger....

HeadtripHippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HeadtripHippie

@n64dd:

Having a general policy to not allow refugees from a country due to the inability to properly vet these individuals, should not prevent a meeting with a particular person who may have valuable insight into the situation.

@horgen:

"Creating more refugees..." is not part of any policy, much less an America first policy. On top of that in order for you to blame America for the creation of refugees you have to ignore all other parties involved, and believe isis, if left alone, would not generate refugees. Would it be preferable if we left the area to isis? Perhaps the goal is to eliminate isis so that the people won't need to leave and can have a stable homeland.

In my opinion, an America first policy means looking out for American interest. Our interest, unfortunately, requires addressing the situation in Syria. Meeting with someone from the area not only shows support for the local population but may also give the President a different perspective on the situation, possibly allowing a change in approach.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator

@headtriphippie said:

@n64dd:

Having a general policy to not allow refugees from a country due to the inability to properly vet these individuals, should not prevent a meeting with a particular person who may have valuable insight into the situation.

@horgen:

"Creating more refugees..." is not part of any policy, much less an America first policy. On top of that in order for you to blame America for the creation of refugees you have to ignore all other parties involved, and believe isis, if left alone, would not generate refugees. Would it be preferable if we left the area to isis? Perhaps the goal is to eliminate isis so that the people won't need to leave and can have a stable homeland.

In my opinion, an America first policy means looking out for American interest. Our interest, unfortunately, requires addressing the situation in Syria. Meeting with someone from the area not only shows support for the local population but may also give the President a different perspective on the situation, possibly allowing a change in approach.

I hoped you understand when I said "more" that US isn't alone about doing it. Does ISIS creating refugees give US an excuse to do it as well?

As for Syria, Trump was very much against going into Syria in the first place. Now he can show that he meant it. Syria... For better or worse is probably still better left with Assad in power. Pressure him to improve his country.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N64DD

@horgen said:
@headtriphippie said:

@n64dd:

@horgen:

I hoped you understand when I said "more" that US isn't alone about doing it. Does ISIS creating refugees give US an excuse to do it as well?

As for Syria, Trump was very much against going into Syria in the first place. Now he can show that he meant it. Syria... For better or worse is probably still better left with Assad in power. Pressure him to improve his country.

He is gassing his own people. I don't think that qualifies as leaving him in power would be better for the country. Are you suggesting like how Saddam in power held the countries in check by fear, instead of leaving the vacuum creating more chaos? That type of ideology?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator

@n64dd said:

He is gassing his own people. I don't think that qualifies as leaving him in power would be better for the country. Are you suggesting like how Saddam in power held the countries in check by fear, instead of leaving the vacuum creating more chaos? That type of ideology?

I don't like what he does.

But bombing the country to crumbles... Is that any better? If you're going at it that way, then at least help rebuilding the country, both in terms of money and manpower to do so.

HeadtripHippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HeadtripHippie
@horgen said:
@n64dd said:

I don't like what he does.

But bombing the country to crumbles... Is that any better? If you're going at it that way, then at least help rebuilding the country, both in terms of money and manpower to do so.

I agree here. If you blow it up, help rebuild it. But this is deviating from the original discussion.

I just don't see meeting with a refugee not being in line with an America first policy and I don't see why meetings should not be encouraged. I am guessing we have different understandings of what that policy is/entails.