Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

The UtahState Legislature on Tuesday passed a bill that repealed the misdemeanor crime of fornication, making sex outside of marriage legal within the state.

The House passed Senate Bill 43 with a 41-32 vote, FOX13 Salt Lake City reported. The bill is headed to Republican Gov. Gary Herbert’s desk for his signature or veto. It was unclear if he supports the bill. The bill didn’t sit well with some conservative members of the state House.

“What is legally is often far below what is morally right,” said state Republican Rep. Kevin Stratton, who objected to the bill. “And I recognize our laws are not strong enough to rule an immoral people.”

Sex between those unmarried was criminalized in 1973. The bill that passed Tuesday was part of the legislature’s efforts to clean up its criminal code, removing unenforceable laws from the books, state Republican Rep. Paul Ray told FOX13.

The Utah Legislature previously passed a bill removing adultery and sodomy among consenting adults as punishable crimes in the state, the station reported.

Link

Consider this aspect, this law was enacted in 1973, and is just now looking to be repealed, 46 years later.

The cost of society going backward doesn't always mean people will suddenly be motivated to work hard and fast to resolve it. It can take literal decades to get back to the original starting point.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Dude, the Mormon Church is going to screw this up. Just a fair warning!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

“What is legally is often far below what is morally right,” said state Republican Rep. Kevin Stratton, who objected to the bill. “And I recognize our laws are not strong enough to rule an immoral people.”

Wow, can't believe there are still people that think this way.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

So do you have any actual evidence of when it was used last? because despite what some may think a law can´t just be on the books without being used.

Even in the US, there is such a thing as desuetude.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105

@Jacanuk said:

So do you have any actual evidence of when it was used last? because despite what some may think a law can´t just be on the books without being used.

Unfortunately, it seems Fox News didn't provide that information in it's reporting.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jacanuk
@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Unfortunately, it seems Fox News didn't provide that information in it's reporting.

Hmm, wonder why it´s even news.

Unless it´s a law that has been used often, it´s not something that Fox should even bother with :)

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Man, 32 legislators voted against this?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105

@judaspete said:

7 billion people on the planet, but sex before marriage will send you straight to hell. At least you will have plenty of company.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Repealing it shouldn't be an issue if the law isn't used. Almost 40% still want this law. I think they want it enforced...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts

Didn't Utah vote for Trump in 2016?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
@mattbbpl said:

Didn't Utah vote for Trump in 2016?

Meh, practicing what you preach is for the birds. Really dumb birds along the lines of turkeys.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jacanuk
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Repealing it shouldn't be an issue if the law isn't used. Almost 40% still want this law. I think they want it enforced...

You are right, it should not be an issue, which is why I questioned when it was last used. Because as mentioned a law not used for decades is subject to desuetude and it´s been confirmed by the supreme court.

So 40% may still want this law., but if no one has been convicted based on this law, well they are out of luck. :)

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

You would think that, but you would be surprised. In the military consensual sodomy is still banned even though Lawrence v. Texas makes it completely unenforceable, for example. But Congress has never gotten around to removing it from the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

FYI, the Ninth Circuit came to the conclusion that Lawrence v. Texas also covers adultery even though the original ruling was in response to a gay couple prosecuted for having sex in Texas and so far the Supreme Court hasn't overruled them. It is unlikely Utah would be able to enforce it even if they wanted to. The military is still allowed to punish people for adultery under a different clause claiming that allowing adultery interferes with good order and discipline in units.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

lmao so backwards

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Has anyone been recently arrested or imprisoned for having sex outside of marriage in Utah? Therea are a lot of silly law on the books, but most of them are not enforced. I get it, that it's frightening in the theoretical sense.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#16 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@sonicare said:

Has anyone been recently arrested or imprisoned for having sex outside of marriage in Utah? Therea are a lot of silly law on the books, but most of them are not enforced. I get it, that it's frightening in the theoretical sense.

Not that I know of.

@zaryia said:

lmao so backwards

Thank the LDS Church, who always interferes with what the citizens of Utah actually vote for.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@judaspete said:

7 billion people on the planet, but sex before marriage will send you straight to hell. At least you will have plenty of company.

I'm never ever going to get married for a good reason and the fact I lost my virginity at a very young age, guess I'm going to Hell. Oh well.

I'm not Religion by the way and whatever happens to me, when I'm gone I'm gone. I don't care.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serraph105

@davillain-: As a person who had sex before marriage I'll be glad to meet you face to face after death. That will be fun.