Oregon governor signs bill ending reading and math proficiency requirements for graduation

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

https://news.yahoo.com/oregon-governor-signs-bill-ending-154100667.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Naturally this comes from a Democrat who thinks that basic prociency standards are racist. Kind of like having a lifeguard be able to swim.

Boyle said the new standards for graduation would aid Oregon's "Black, Latino, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color."

This seems to go perfectly with the "lower your expectations" coming from the Biden administration

Wonder if the Democratic party will add removing basic proficiency requirement from all professions to their official platform to combat the racism that comes from having people display basic competence.

Is saying that Black, Latino, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color can't do basic math and reading racist or not? If you're a company looking to hire people in engineering, science or a job that requires careful reading like a lawyer does the "benefit of diversity" outweight the lack of basic competence that the democratic governor is saying people lack?

Does she believe that people of certain backgrounds are incapable of learning reading and math?

Are students better off learning CRT, how to organize to riot for BLM, how to fight oppressive holidays like the 4th of July and Columbus Day or how to do basic math and reading? What is the position of most Democrats?

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@Maxpowers_32 said:

https://news.yahoo.com/oregon-governor-signs-bill-ending-154100667.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Naturally this comes from a Democrat who thinks that basic prociency standards are racist. Kind of like having a lifeguard be able to swim.

Boyle said the new standards for graduation would aid Oregon's "Black, Latino, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color."

This seems to go perfectly with the "lower your expectations" coming from the Biden administration

Wonder if the Democratic party will add removing basic proficiency requirement from all professions to their official platform to combat the racism that comes from having people display basic competence.

Is saying that Black, Latino, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color can't do basic math and reading racist or not? If you're a company looking to hire people in engineering, science or a job that requires careful reading like a lawyer does the "benefit of diversity" outweight the lack of basic competence that the democratic governor is saying people lack?

Does she believe that people of certain backgrounds are incapable of learning reading and math?

Are students better off learning CRT, how to organize to riot for BLM, how to fight oppressive holidays like the 4th of July and Columbus Day or how to do basic math and reading? What is the position of most Democrats?

you posted a story ... then went on a tangent rant for no other reason the your ego.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

This is a good example of how the right alienates moderates, @Maxpowers_32.

Here you had a story about something that me, a left-leaning moderate finds preposterous (like you do, I imagine) and then you go and ruin that common ground by going scorched-earth with the following:

@Maxpowers_32 said:

Next time quit while you're ahead so we can have an actual discussion instead of going full-nutjob.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

This is happening in other areas of the country, and it is no wonder we are so low among other industrial nations when it comes to education scores.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Seems they are doing this in order to re-evaluate the standards more than anything.

Here in Sweden we go with a different system entirely. Basically at around the age of 15-16 you end up choosing what you want to major in in high school. Not every path leads to university, and those that don't, and are instead focused on trade schools or employment immediately after graduation as opposed to traditional universities. As you can probably expect these tend not to put anywhere near the same focus on maths and science.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Maybe the plan is to slowly phase out school graduation altogether. In the UK, we had exams at 16, then optional study towards further exams at 18, proceeded by university. Only university completion was considered graduation. I'm not sure there's necessarily much of a difference in standard of education between the two approaches, is there?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8208 Posts

Kids are getting more dumb

Schools are getting worse

"Digital learning" has made it even worse in a short amount of time due to covid

I grew up in public schools but when I have kids I'm seriously considering putting them in in a private Christian school. I'm not even religious (agnostic) but the government has turned everything on its side. The schools are a joke, more like day care than education.

Side note: I guarantee the reason they are doing this is to not have such a high margin of students fail this year. The digital learning doesn't work for alot of these kids looking at a webcam. I'm sure many are MIA when you don't even have to walk to a bus stop, most kids will just half ass it on those Skype lessons.

Probably more to do with funding and the school boards not wanting a massive red flag showing their failure rate doubled over the last year.

So they will just lower the standards and pass enough students to make it seem they did a good job.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Shouldn't we be celebrating this? Public schools are indoctrination centers, right? Seems like a waste to teach liberal ideas like math and science when the right rejects them day in and day out. Should better align with the GOPs goals!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Maxpowers_32 said:

1. I think this is a bad move. Agreed with you on that.

2. The rest of your post got silly. Democrats have a superior education on average. Democrat areas have better education outcomes on average.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

There should at least be requirements of some kind. Learning a trade, for free, should be an option rather than emphasizing college. But there would need to be math and English requirements. Even in a minimum wage job you still need to read and do basic math. You still need to read signs and follow directions. Doesn't make sense not to teach it. Oregon has a history of banning minorities from the entire state and so this type of racism could stem from that way of thinking.

So as a lefty I'd say that thinking this way is a bad idea and also racist. I hope you have enough views left on the National Geographic website to read the article I linked. It be good.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@Maxpowers_32: Based on the article, which you don't actually seem to give a shit about, it seems like this is an acknowledgment that standardized testing isn't really helping people to learn and doesn't properly evaluate knowledge of students. The idea seems to be to let teachers decide if kids truly understand the material.

It could be good or it could be bad, but it doesn't seem to be some massive reduction of standards. Instead it seems like saying that the current standards are a poor way of evaluating students.

Avatar image for deactivated-622fe92f3678e
deactivated-622fe92f3678e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 deactivated-622fe92f3678e
Member since 2021 • 1836 Posts

It suspends it for 3 years while it is reevaluated. Did you even read it?

No need to suspend it, just do the eval while it is in tact.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

The standardized tests that were suspended have only been in place since 2009.

"Senate Bill 744 does not remove Oregon’s graduation requirements, and it certainly does not remove any requirements that Oregon students learn essential skills," Boyle said, adding it is "misleading" to conflate the subjects of standardized testing with graduation requirements."

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

This is a good example of how the right alienates moderates, @Maxpowers_32.

Here you had a story about something that me, a left-leaning moderate finds preposterous (like you do, I imagine) and then you go and ruin that common ground by going scorched-earth with the following:

@Maxpowers_32 said:

Next time quit while you're ahead so we can have an actual discussion instead of going full-nutjob.

What exactly did I say that would prevent you from having an actual discussion? What was full-nutjob in my question? Everything I listed is what Democrats have said.

For example, the teacher union president said about kids not being in school:

Our kids didn’t lose anything. It’s OK that our babies may not have learned all their times tables. They learned resilience. They learned survival. They learned critical-thinking skills. They know the difference between a riot and a protest. They know the wordsinsurrectionandcoup.

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/cecily-myart-cruz-teachers-union/

The 1619 project and CRT is also being taught full force in schools and schools are tearing down statues of people like Lincoln and protesting 4th of July and Columbus Day as racist.

It all fits in with the same issue which is education and what is being taught in schools. Maybe you're right I should have just stuck with this particular issue.

Do you agree with the policy the governor just passed? Is it good for students to be told that due to their background they're not expected to learn math and english to the same standards as other kids. Is it good to have kids graduating who can't do math and reading?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 680 Posts

@girlusocrazy: how about teaching the kids to read in their own language and basic math?

I live in Shanghai and meeting people that speak 5 languages and have advanced degrees in math or engineering is not uncommon.

They cant even teach them their own language and basic math and their "solution" is not to require them to know it.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Maxpowers_32 said:

CRT is also being taught full force in schools

What k-12 is teaching CRT courses? That's a college course. Also if there are (DOUBT), what % of schools is that? Less than .01% possibly?

Sounds like fake outrage to me.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@zaryia: just ask Christopher Rufo.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@zaryia said:
@Maxpowers_32 said:

CRT is also being taught full force in schools

What k-12 is teaching CRT courses? That's a college course. Also if there are (DOUBT), what % of schools is that? Less than .01% possibly?

Sounds like fake outrage to me.

CRT, the new 'death panels'.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

Oregon nothing but a source of failures anyway, might as well keep it going.