Officer Sicnick was NOT killed by a Fire extinguisher.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Read details about the correction here.

TLDR: An unnamed Capitol Police source indicated officer Sicnick died due to being hit with a fire extinguisher. That source was unverified, un-fact checked, and several other media outlets re-parroted this as if it was true. How the F is the USA supposed to move forward at all if nobody can trust their own media? Especially during something so pivotal as a riot/insurrection at the capitol?

Now of course there is more to learn, and it may turn out that his unfortunate death was still somehow linked to the events at the capitol, but we'll never get to learn that for the first time now will we? I guarantee the majority of folks who assume that media report was accurate will never read this correction.

I'm sure all of you can list dozens of other examples of media outlets reporting on unverified facts, false facts, or putting their "spin" on it. This has been going on for quite some time now. I find it incredibly easy to spot from up here, watching American news from the outside. Fox is the most blatant, but almost every media outlet reports with bias at least part of the time.

Is now the time to really take these outlets to task, and enforce factual reporting rather than emotional response/clickbaity type reporting?

If anyone needs a good example of what an unbiased (or at least very good at hiding their bias so it does not pass on to others) Journalist looks like, see Steve Paikin:

https://www.tvo.org/author/steve-paikin

Maybe there needs to be laws about headlines? Content? Only facts allowed, no opinions, unless clearly marked as an "opinion" piece.

Thoughts?

EDIT, new info below:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/brian-sicknick-death-us-capitol-riot/index.html

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/19/988876722/capitol-police-officer-brian-sicknick-died-of-natural-causes-medical-examiner-ru

"He did not suffer an allergic reaction to the chemical irritants dispensed by rioters, Diaz told the Post, nor was there evidence of internal or external injuries."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/capitol-police-officer-brian-sicknick-died-natural-causes-after-riot-n1264562

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

"Lawmakers hid under their desks from violent protesters after President Trump encouraged them during a rally to head to the Capitol. Mr. Sicknick died in the hospital where he was getting treatment for his injuries."

I wonder who or what could have injured him that day when a bunch of random people carrying Trump flags stormed the capitol and setting up pipe bombs trying to kill law makers. What a mystery.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 appariti0n

@Serraph105: And that's exactly what should have been reported in the first place.

Or if it wasn't yet clear how he died, maybe report that its not yet clear how he died?

This isn't about downplaying the capitol riots. This is 100% about the media reporting in whatever fashion generates the most outrage/clicks/revenue, truth be damned.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 appariti0n

@girlusocrazy: I heard that somewhere but forget the source. Do you have it handy by any chance? The part indicating blood clot etc.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 appariti0n

@girlusocrazy: Agreed. Will wait to hear something more definitive as well before resuming this convo.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Anonymous sources?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 appariti0n

@LJS9502_basic: You're right. Updated my OP to be more accurate.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I heard he got struck by a globalist space laser, satanic reptilian technology.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 appariti0n

BUMP

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/brian-sicknick-death-us-capitol-riot/index.html

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/19/988876722/capitol-police-officer-brian-sicknick-died-of-natural-causes-medical-examiner-ru

"He did not suffer an allergic reaction to the chemical irritants dispensed by rioters, Diaz told the Post, nor was there evidence of internal or external injuries."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/capitol-police-officer-brian-sicknick-died-natural-causes-after-riot-n1264562

Pretty much all outlets are reporting this in a similar fashion, so I'll stop at 3. Feel free to check other sources too.

The actual tragedy, is in a country with modern healthcare, weakened blood vessels at the base of the brain stem like this were not caught before they explode and cause strokes.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 appariti0n

@girlusocrazy: Yeah no doubt. They are calling it a "pair of strokes at the brain stem", but I think they mean aneurysms. My mom had one explode in her brain while she was praying for relief from headaches, ironically enough lol.

She lived, somehow, but pretty much lost the ability to speak for the rest of her life.

I guess part of me had kinda hoped that in the last 25 years, something like an MRI or Angiogram would have become inexpensive enough to be part of routine checkups.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

So the capitol rioters are now responsible for 0 police deaths? Nice to know the facts.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By appariti0n

@girlusocrazy: Thanks, we cope with humor, some of it pretty morbid.

I found out early on, that while she often can't gets the words she wants to say, she can easily repeat something said.

Cue contests to see who can get mom to say the worst things lol.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I find it hard to fault the media in this particular case. Sicknick was in the midst of violence, it’s not that far of a leap to infer his death due to it. I’d say it’s quite a coincidence that something as rare and significant as a stroke just happened to occur in a proximate timeframe.

To attribute his passing to the riots of the 6th was not at all unreasonable at the time. It’s not like the media knew he suffered an ischemic attack, decided to ignore it, and framed it aligned to the narrative they wished to push. They were ignorant of the true cause, and laid it at the feet of what appeared obvious.

That‘s a mistake, but I’m not going to jump to lay it at the feet of mal-intent.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

Please refrain from bumping topics that are more than 2 month old.