Julian Assange has been arrested. Should he be extradited to the US?

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Poll Julian Assange has been arrested. Should he be extradited to the US? (27 votes)

Yes should be extradited 19%
No should be freed 81%
 • 
Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

What charges would be levied against him?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

What do you think?

He helped Trump so now the left has ostracized him which now made it´s cool that he will get jailed ;)

But he will probably be charged as a co-conspirator to Bradley Manning and Snowden and also a bunch of other crimes against America.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Solaryellow said:

What do you think?

He helped Trump so now the left has ostracized him which now made it´s cool that he will get jailed ;)

But he will probably be charged as a co-conspirator to Bradley Manning and Snowden and also a bunch of other crimes against America.

That is exactly what is happening, Assange is being charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for helping Chelsea Manning get what she leaked when she was in the Army. Although it’s a very real possibility people are more upset over WikiLeaks distributing the DNC e-mails that may have cost Clinton the 2016 election.

They may want to tread lightly at this point, since he could easily reveal information that they do not want revealed to the public. Whether or not his rumored media dump Dead Man’s Switch is still a risk is something else to consider.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Solaryellow said:

What do you think?

You realize he's been holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy trying to escape prosecution since 2012, right? It ain't a left or right issue, he's pissed off a lot of powerful people all over the world.

But anyhow, I want him freed. While his methodology is draconian, I agree with him in principle that governments should be more transparent and accountable for their actions.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I really hope this will come back to bite them in the ass. I so hope there is a deadman's switch out there with a bucketload of crap that they held back.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Nope, But he probably will be after the trial in Sweden.
Provided he's not just send to the US tomorrow.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jacanuk
@judaspete said:

You realize he's been holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy trying to escape prosecution since 2012, right? It ain't a left or right issue, he's pissed off a lot of powerful people all over the world.

But anyhow, I want him freed. While his methodology is draconian, I agree with him in principle that governments should be more transparent and accountable for their actions.

Yep, but this is most certainly a "right/Left" issue

Very left-leaning Ecuador have kept him safe since 2012 but after his connection to Trump, the left has clearly lost patience with him and Ecuador removing his citizenship and asylum is a sign of this.

And no one is above the law so not sure why he should be freed? If he had gone back to Sweden when he was faced with the charges, he could have been free now.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Solaryellow said:

What do you think?

The Charges

When Assange took refuge in the Ecuadorean embassy in 2012, his immediate aim was to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faced questioning in a sex crimes inquiry. Assange has denied the allegations of rape and sexual assault, and Sweden rescinded its warrant for Assange in 2017. However, the case could be reinstated and Elisabeth Massi Fritz, who represents Assange’s unnamed accuser, told the AP on Thursday that “we are going to do everything” to make sure “Assange can be extradited to Sweden and prosecuted for rape.”

Assange’s larger fear has long been extradition to the United States. As the Washington Postexplained, Assange was charged in secret last year, but at the time the alleged crime was unknown:

It was inadvertently revealed in a court document last year that he had been charged with an unknown crime or crimes by the Justice Department under President Trump. That was big news, given the same Justice Department under President Barack Obama had declined to charge him, citing the difficult First Amendment issues it could raise given WikiLeaks’s claim to be a journalism organization.

Hours after Assange was taken into custody on Thursday, it was revealed that the U.S. was indeed behind his arrest, and he’s been charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion. The penalty is up to five years in prison, far less than he might have faced if the U.S. had decided to charge him with espionage-related offenses.

But teh left..

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Solaryellow

@Jacanuk said:
@Solaryellow said:

What do you think?

Toss a dart at the board and wherever it lands......

I don't know nearly enough about what this guy allegedly did in conjunction with Bradley Manning but it makes me think of The pentagon papers and Dan Ellsberg and how it would be viewed and acted upon today.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 judaspete

@Jacanuk said:
@judaspete said:

Very left-leaning Ecuador have kept him safe since 2012 but after his connection to Trump, the left has clearly lost patience with him and Ecuador removing his citizenship and asylum is a sign of this.

And no one is above the law so not sure why he should be freed? If he had gone back to Sweden when he was faced with the charges, he could have been free now.

Looks like@zaryia already took the wind out the sails of this theory. As to Asange, I agree with the assessment of the Obama administration. Wikileaks has the right to release information provided by others under the guise of journalism.

I do think he should face the rape charges in Sweden, but this current situation does not seem to be about that.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Holy hell is she clueless about the situation...

Hmm....

-Alleged rape?

-illegal hacking of classified documents?

HE. WAS. A. CRIMINAL! Not surprised you support people like him, Tulsi. Not sure which is worse between this or Trump trying to distance himself from Wikileaks by lying about his "love" for them.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Solaryellow

I wonder if her tune would change if he was hacking HER communications.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

If he's charged with a crime he should face the consequences. He does get to provide a defense for himself.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@judaspete said:
@Jacanuk said:
@judaspete said:

Looks like@zaryia already took the wind out the sails of this theory. As to Asange, I agree with the assessment of the Obama administration. Wikileaks has the right to release information provided by others under the guise of journalism.

I do think he should face the rape charges in Sweden, but this current situation does not seem to be about that.

I'm rusty on this one. Didn't he avoid Sweden due to fearing being sent to US?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jacanuk
@horgen said:

That was his claims that the allegations in Sweden was made up and was meant to jail him and send him to the US.

But as most know Sweden is a major progressive country and they don´t just fall in line because America wants it and it´s actually funny to think, the years he spent in the embassy would have been close to the same it would have taken for an actual extradition request to go through the Swedish legal system meaning that he could have stayed in a fancy hotel in Sweden and moved freely around.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

That was his claims that the allegations in Sweden was made up and was meant to jail him and send him to the US.

But as most know Sweden is a major progressive country and they don´t just fall in line because America wants it and it´s actually funny to think, the years he spent in the embassy would have been close to the same it would have taken for an actual extradition request to go through the Swedish legal system meaning that he could have stayed in a fancy hotel in Sweden and moved freely around.

I don't know how Sweden normally handles it, but unless he faced death penalty, I'm quite sure they would have sent him to US if US used the rights channels to do so. Norway would have done so as long as US had promised no life sentence or death penalty.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

I don't know how Sweden normally handles it, but unless he faced death penalty, I'm quite sure they would have sent him to US if US used the rights channels to do so. Norway would have done so as long as US had promised no life sentence or death penalty.

Well, my point was that he would have been able to fight the request all the way up to the Swedish supreme court.

Not to mention that Sweden has laws that make it so that the US would have to show their case and whatever the charge is, has to be punishable under Swedish law with actual jail time of min. a year and up. Also not forgetting that if Assange would be faced with any charge that could be met with the DP, he would never be extradited.

Meaning he could have been free in Sweden until the absolute last legal option was exhausted

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Alll I could think about was how he literally turned into Mr. Burns from that, episode.

Loading Video...

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

If this narcissist wanted to be a martyr let him be a martyr. Transparency (100% full in all situations) for the sake of transparency is reckless and illogical IMO. This guy actively participated in helping stolen emails (see Russian operatives) be disseminated. Let him make his case in court.

He's just an opportunist with an inflated ego.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 judaspete

@nintendoboy16 said:

Holy hell is she clueless about the situation...

Hmm....

-Alleged rape?

-illegal hacking of classified documents?

HE. WAS. A. CRIMINAL! Not surprised you support people like him, Tulsi. Not sure which is worse between this or Trump trying to distance himself from Wikileaks by lying about his "love" for them.

She's actually right about this. The rape allegation in Sweden is not part of the current situation (though I agree he should have to stand trial for that). Right now he is only being charged for offering Chelsea Manning help when she was giving documents to Wikileaks. What has people concerned is that journalists often give advice to sources and whistle blowers, so this could weaken 1st amendment protections if it stands. This is the reason the Obama administration never perused charges against Assange.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#22 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

What is the point of arresting him? this is stupid, this is just making the US government look like the bad guys.