vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/06/msnbcs_brian_williams_new_york_times_editorial_board_member_mara_gay_five_divided_by_three_equals_one_million.html

Do you trust these people informing you about how politicians spend your money?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

Sigh... Don't get me started on our mathematical illiteracy. My favorite example is that minimum wage/price of milk meme that somehow everyone shares without giving a moment's thought.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Lmao sad. Although it is worse when our leaders make similar idotic mistakes on a daily basis like Trump.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl

@zaryia: This is pretty bad, imo. Either this went through proper vetting and represents multiple failures in the process, or it simply wasn't vetted. Journalists need to hold themselves to a higher standard than this.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: And oh dear, I hope the headline said enough. That was way off. At least if they provide the raw numbers used, you can do the math yourself and see that it is wrong. But I'll say that shouldn't really be necessary.

@mattbbpl said:

Sigh... Don't get me started on our mathematical illiteracy. My favorite example is that minimum wage/price of milk meme that somehow everyone shares without giving a moment's thought.

Care sharing or explaining?

And oh dear, I hope the headline said enough. That was way off.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vl4d_l3nin

@joebones5000 said:

The worst are Trump supporters. Higher deficits than Obama, but somehow it's great.

The tax cuts are great, not the deficits.

Or maybe they are. Trump tacitly promised he was going to blow deficits so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Bloomburg really cared about our country he would pay the debt off himself. Instead he blows over 10X the national debt on ads, according to MSNBC

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@joebones5000 said:

The worst are Trump supporters. Higher deficits than Obama, but somehow it's great.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@joebones5000 said:

The tax cuts are great, not the deficits.

Or maybe they are. Trump tacitly promised he was going to blow deficits so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Bloomburg really cared about our country he would pay the debt off himself. Instead he blows over 10X the national debt on ads, according to MSNBC

Please provide a credible source that the tax cuts are what made the entire deficit.

Also, the logic on this board among democrats is amazing. The economy is booming = Obama, the deficit is bad = All Trump.

It´s almost as bad as the journalist who can´t do math.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58311 Posts

Honestly I'm just going to chalk this up to an embarrassing brain fart. I wouldn't read too much into it.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vl4d_l3nin

@Jacanuk: I never said the tax cuts are blowing the deficits. Increasing defense, the farm bill, and 5 appropriation bills (largely welfare) in a year causing the countries longest shutdown are much more to blame. In the span of 2 years, those things alone costed several times more than ALL the tax cuts will over the next decade. Thing is, Trump said he was going to keep spending.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

Some of you take so many things seriously these days...……..

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mattbbpl

@horgen said:

Care sharing or explaining?

The meme I was referring to is the one below. It's several years old now, but once or twice a year it crops up again and people can't help but spread it. I reference this particular example because it's so fraught with false assumptions and faulty math that it's hard to even know where to begin correcting it. I mean, look at this abomination.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@mattbbpl: Damn.

23% of 1.23$ is just above 28cents, so it is not like the milk is affordable to begin with.... But I guess that isn't important to the ones who made this.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@horgen said:

23% of 1.23$ is just above 28cents, so it is not like the milk is affordable to begin with.... But I guess that isn't important to the ones who made this.

That is such a bad meme.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

That is such a bad meme.

Tell me about it. It's a math murder.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

That article missed Mara Gay's tweet when she realized what she said,

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@asylumni said:

the fact that she thinks she would need a calculator is stunning....

there's a story neil degreasse tyson tells in one of his books that i read a while back about how for some reason it's perfectly acceptable, even in "educated" company, to be math illiterate.

if you were with a group of people and someone wanted you to read something and you said you were never good at reading, they'd look at you like you're an idiot.

why is it accepted with basic math?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
@zaryia said:

Lmao sad. Although it is worse when our leaders make similar idotic mistakes on a daily basis like Trump.

Fortunately that will change when Biden is president. That guy is sharp as a tack.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@sonicare said:
@zaryia said:

Fortunately that will change when Biden is president. That guy is sharp as a tack.

But may as well take the one who is a bit less dumb and will let advisers/staff take over the helm instead of trying to be King. Rather the one who knows he's dumb.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@asylumni said:

the fact that she thinks she would need a calculator is stunning....

there's a story neil degreasse tyson tells in one of his books that i read a while back about how for some reason it's perfectly acceptable, even in "educated" company, to be math illiterate.

if you were with a group of people and someone wanted you to read something and you said you were never good at reading, they'd look at you like you're an idiot.

why is it accepted with basic math?

Nah, I think that was pretty clearly self-deprecating humor. I think this was something added at the last moment and it just slipped past everyone; one of those brain-fart type things. It is pretty humorous thinking of how many people it would've had to slip past to have the graphic ready, though.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23916 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

That is such a bad meme.

Memes are pretty much the bottom of the barrel. A goldmine of misinformation and half-truths. Clickbaits of clickbaits.