mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts

Republicans are looking for a new message and platform to replace their longtime call to repeal and replace ObamaCare, after efforts failed in the last Congress and left them empty-handed in the 2018 midterm elections.

Republican strategists concede that Democrats dominated the health care debate heading into Election Day, helping them pick up 40 seats in the House.

“Republicans need a positive vision about what should happen to lower costs, expand access and protect pre-existing conditions,” he added. “You’ve got to be able to answer the question, ‘So what do you think we should do about health care?’ ”

A recent Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll showed that 49 percent of respondents nationwide said government should tackle health care as a top priority, second only to economic concerns.

I think this is great news. If the GOP is truly ready to recognize these things as legitimate issues that government policy can have a hand in addressing, then maybe we can resume real discussion and progress on this issue. I'm skeptical, but cautiously optimistic.

Link

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I thought they started 9 years ago after the ACA was passed?!?!?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan: It's been a long road. :-P

The first step is realizing you've got a problem. At least some of the members of the party are there.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I doubt the cost will go down if it means less profits.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

So universal healthcare? The one and only best option that is not only fiscally responsible and practical but also efficient in providing care for all citizens without costing them an arm and a leg?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl

@drunk_pi: We're not there yet. We've just now reached, "There's a problem."

We still need to get through the, "Are there any solutions that that will work that only involve removing regulations or lowering taxes?" Then we've got to hem and haw about how government involvement can't possibly be the solution because everyone knows that it only makes things worse. Then we've got reluctant acknowledgement that maybe government can be a positive force in an uncompetitive market. That's when the lobbyists set in again. Finally, deadlock until situations force their hands to do as little as politically feasible.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Well, who could have calculated with a certain person being more concerned with his legacy than the country and in his last time, decided to make sure he was not the left´s villain

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Well, who could have calculated with a certain person being more concerned with his legacy than the country and in his last time, decided to make sure he was not the left´s villain

What does this even mean?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

What does this even mean?

lol