Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Why should Trump trying to get a foreign government to interfere in our election simply be let go without repercussions?

I'm seriously confused as to why people seem to simultaneously think that this was a bad thing to do, but also there should be zero consequences for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

But what about!!!!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

but also there should be zero consequences for it.

That's a strawman.

One can think what he did is wrong but it doesn't deserve the most drastic of political penalties (removal from office) that a President can receive.

He could be formally censured by both Houses (don't laugh).

Also, while it might seem as letting him off, there is something to be said about the argument of being too close to the election and letting the voters mete out the punishment. Unless of course you think not enough voters will "punish" him.

With that said, he should be impeached for obstruction of justice.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105

@Master_Live: "He could be formally censured by both Houses (don't laugh)."

Okay, why shouldn't I laugh? Would this actually do anything? Or is it just a statement and nothing else?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

You should laugh, "censure" lol.

That's probably McConnell's "off ramp". He knows the situation isn't good and has told members of the Republican majority to prepare for a long trial. He doesn't want to be seen as dismissive of the allegations and knows he has to protect members in purple states.

That's probably his strategy: long trial to "hear everybody", not removing him but censure him and then pushing the mantra of "let the People decide".

Quite dangerous, how can he square some members (if it turnout to be the case) of some Republican Senators voting for removal (meaning the President isn't fit for office) but others not so? Sure, there is difference of opinion but will those Senators who vote in favor of removal campaign against the President's reelection? Better case in that sense if everyone votes against removal. Quite the pickle right there for Republicans, but that's what you get when you elect a piece of garbage like Donald Trump.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178864 Posts

Honestly for anyone politician that didn't take their oath of office seriously...…….they should resign. The country should always come first.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

What crime are you accusing trump of

Show me the evidence of the crime

t-unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By t-unit
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

Joe Biden is not the end all, be all of the US election process. In fact, it's increasingly likely that he will not be the nominee for the Democratic party. People are assuming that Trump contacting the newly elected President of Ukraine to tell him that he believes the Biden family may have been part of some corrupt dealings with a Ukrainian oil company and recommends Ukraine investigate is not a crime.

It's only a perceived crime because Joe is running for president. Joe could have been napping at home watching the Nationals in the World Series with no intention of running and Trump could have done the same thing and the Democrats and media would have still called it interference because to them anything Trump does is horrible.

That said, Trump is clearly ignorant of Ukrainian politics because the entire country is rife with corruption.

I say if Joe Biden has nothing to hide, he has nothing to fear. I also say that if Trump is to be removed from office for "election interference" then clearly the CIA, FBI, FISA courts, and other entities involved in the spying on the Trump campaign in 2016 should also been brought to task for election interference.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Why should Trump trying to get a foreign government to interfere in our election simply be let go without repercussions?

I'm seriously confused as to why people seem to simultaneously think that this was a bad thing to do, but also there should be zero consequences for it.

It is OK that Hillary used Russia and the Ukraine to interfere in the 2016 election. Politico published an article about it in January 2017, a Ukrainian court found officials to government of the Ukraine guilty of interfering in the 2016 US presidential election, and Joe Biden bragging on a video of threatening to with hold one billion dollars to the Ukraine unless they fired the prosecutor looking in to the company Hunter Biden worked for. Trump ask the Government of the Ukraine as a favor to assist the United States Attorney General in to looking into corruption that occurred in the 2016 election involving the Ukraine. The president is mandated by the US Constitution to investigate corruption especially by government officials.

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By redrichard
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

@Serraph105: Trump embodies the qualities unitedstatesians desire to have. A person with no problem to flaunt international law and violate other countries sovereignty.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@JimB said:
@Serraph105 said:

It is OK that Hillary used Russia and the Ukraine to interfere in the 2016 election. Politico published an article about it in January 2017, a Ukrainian court found officials to government of the Ukraine guilty of interfering in the 2016 US presidential election, and Joe Biden bragging on a video of threatening to with hold one billion dollars to the Ukraine unless they fired the prosecutor looking in to the company Hunter Biden worked for. Trump ask the Government of the Ukraine as a favor to assist the United States Attorney General in to looking into corruption that occurred in the 2016 election involving the Ukraine. The president is mandated by the US Constitution to investigate corruption especially by government officials.

Jim would be right.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

@n64dd said:
@JimB said:
@Serraph105 said:

Jim would be right.

Nothing he said in there is factual.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N64DD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@JimB said:
@Serraph105 said:

Jim would be right.

Prove it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@n64dd said:

Prove it.

You guys both posted facts. The proof is on yourself. We'll wait. There is no evidence anywhere that Clinton worked with Russia or Ukraine. I need YOU to show me where this exists.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serraph105

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@JimB said:
@Serraph105 said:

Jim would be right.

Prove it.

Well.....the first claim about Hillary using Russia and Ukraine to interfere in the 2016 campaign is never stated in the article Jim mentioned. Despite not actually citing his source, I went and found it (citation, notice it's from January 2017) and while it says that Russia and Ukraine were on Hillary's side it never makes the claim that Hillary tried to work with them. It's worth noting that this is well before the Mueller report came out and that we have had nearly 3 years worth of new information since then.

So the very first claim Jim made doesn't hold up. It also doesn't do anything to explain why the president shouldn't be held to account.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@Serraph105 said:
@n64dd said:

Prove it.

Well.....the first claim about Hillary using Russia and Ukraine to interfere in the 2016 campaign is never stated in the article Jim mentioned. Despite not actually citing his source, I went and found it (citation, notice it's from January 2017) and while it says that Russia and Ukraine were on Hillary's side it never makes the claim that Hillary tried to work with them. It's worth noting that this is well before the Mueller report came out and that we have had nearly 3 years worth of new information since then.

So the very first claim Jim made doesn't hold up. It also doesn't do anything to explain why the president shouldn't be held to account.

And you wouldn't see any Republicans do that.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N64DD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:
@n64dd said:

Prove it.

And you wouldn't see any Republicans do that.

So they were on Hillary's side, but she didn't work with them.

Alright ;)

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@JimB said:
@Serraph105 said:

There are a few key differences between what Biden did and what Trump did. First, Biden's son was not working for the Ukranian energy company during Joe's quid pro quo, so there wasn't a personal conflict of interest. Second, Joe wasn't the only person who wanted the prosecutor removed. It was an action taken jointly between allies. As vice president, Biden really doesn't have any sort of power to withhold funds unilaterally. Trump ordered the funds withheld without the support of anyone else, for no clear reason other than that Joe Biden was running against him. A quid pro quo itself isn't necessarily illegal or even unethical. It's all about how you go about it.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jeezers

Damn... No answer

Let me try again

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105

@jeezers said:

Damn... No answer

Let me try again

The thing is, if you are going to start at the place of not even acknowledging that Trump withheld aid from Ukraine in the hopes that he could get dirt on Joe Biden and thus interfering in our election, which is stated in the first sentence at the top of this topic, despite the fact that the House is working on impeachment from their end and despite the numerous topics on gamespot that you have taken part in, then I don't really believe it's worth engaging with you on this topic. I don't believe that you will be making your arguments in good faith, which means you (imo) will be making bad faith arguments, which in turn means that you can't actually be reasoned with. So why should I waste my time?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jeezers

@Serraph105 said:
@jeezers said:

Damn... No answer

Let me try again

The thing is, if you are going to start at the place of not even acknowledging that Trump withheld aid from Ukraine in the hopes that he could get dirt on Joe Biden and thus interfering in our election, which is stated in the first sentence at the top of this topic, despite the fact that the House is working on impeachment from their end and despite the numerous topics on gamespot that you have taken part in, then I don't really believe it's worth engaging with you on this topic. I don't believe that you will be making your arguments in good faith, which means you (imo) will be making bad faith arguments, which in turn means that you can't actually be reasoned with. So why should I waste my time?

Ukraine was not told any aid would be withheld, unless they gave trump dirt on Biden (where is your evidence for this, please share, seems pretty important if you want people to take this claim seriously), what was asked to look into was from 2016, Biden wasnt running for president at the time of the call anyway, also does that mean Biden can never be investigated by default because he COULD run for president??

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JimB

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@JimB said:
@Serraph105 said:

There are a few key differences between what Biden did and what Trump did. First, Biden's son was not working for the Ukranian energy company during Joe's quid pro quo, so there wasn't a personal conflict of interest. Second, Joe wasn't the only person who wanted the prosecutor removed. It was an action taken jointly between allies. As vice president, Biden really doesn't have any sort of power to withhold funds unilaterally. Trump ordered the funds withheld without the support of anyone else, for no clear reason other than that Joe Biden was running against him. A quid pro quo itself isn't necessarily illegal or even unethical. It's all about how you go about it.

Joe Biden's son was working for a Ukrainian gas company at the time Joe Biden told them to fire the prosecutor. The only reason he got his job was because his dad was the vice president of the United States. You need to get your information straight. Every time Joe Biden was appointed as a special envoy to a country Hunter Biden received money for a company he was working for at the time. The countries were China and Romania.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jeezers

@JimB said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@JimB said:
@Serraph105 said:

Joe Biden's son was working for a Ukrainian gas company at the time Joe Biden told them to fire the prosecutor. The only reason he got his job was because his dad was the vice president of the United States. You need to get your information straight. Every time Joe Biden was appointed as a special envoy to a country Hunter Biden received money for a company he was working for at the time. The countries were China and Romania.

I was going to bring that up, thanks Jim

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

So what is the punishment of leftwing media for interfering in the election?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jeezers

@r-gamer said:

The same punishment they got for promoting Trump-Russia collusion conspiracy theories,

They look like idiots and loose viewership

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/july-2019-ratings-cnn-sees-noticeable-year-over-year-drop-off-but-remains-a-top-10-cable-network-in-total-day/409984/

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

@r-gamer said:

The same punishment for gaslighting on a public forum.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@jeezers: haha true. Its hillarious to me though. The Russians essentially exposed Hillary Clinton and the lefties are focused on the fact that the Russians did it as opposed to what the DNC actually did. Classic case of shoot the messenger.

But when leftwing media runs a constant barage of BS they just eat it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

I love a good but what about defense

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Serraph105

@jeezers: "Ukraine was not told any aid would be withheld, unless they gave trump dirt on Biden"

So to be clear, you believe that Ukraine did not know aid was currently being withheld? Or do you mean that it wasn't specifically articulated why the aid was being withheld even though they knew about it?

what was asked to look into was from 2016, Biden wasnt running for president at the time of the call anyway, also does that mean Biden can never be investigated by default because he COULD run for president??

He absolutely was, the call took place on July 25, 2019 and Biden announced his candidacy for president on April 25, 2019.

This stuff is easy to confirm with a quick google search.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts

@jeezers said:

Not needed to answer OP question.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PurpleMan5000

@JimB said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@JimB said:
@Serraph105 said:

Sorry, I had that wrong. He was on the board when the prosecutor was fired. He wasn't on the board during the time period the prosecutor was investigating.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-whistleblower-ukraine-buris/ukraine-agency-says-allegations-against-burisma-cover-period-before-biden-joined-idUSKBN1WC1LV

It's still a very different set of circumstances.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jeezers

@Serraph105 said:

@jeezers: "Ukraine was not told any aid would be withheld, unless they gave trump dirt on Biden"

So to be clear, you believe that Ukraine did not know aid was currently being withheld? Or do you mean that it wasn't specifically articulated why the aid was being withheld even though they knew about it?

Both

and they did eventually get the aid, they just did not know aid would be frozen temporarily at the time of the phone call.

Personally i find this Ukraine call/Biden/Aid story a big smokecreen to take away focus from William Barr's investigation to try and keep everything focused on Trump instead of the political interference done by our own officials during the 2016 election.

But i don't think it is going to work.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jeezers

@horgen said:
@jeezers said:

"Why should Trump trying to get a foreign government to interfere in our election simply be let go without repercussions?"

The question is implying something that has yet to have concrete evidence.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horgen  Moderator

@jeezers said:
@horgen said:
@jeezers said:

"Why should Trump trying to get a foreign government to interfere in our election simply be let go without repercussions?"

You could start your answer with "If". As it is now your first post in this thread could be seen as spam and an attempt at derailing the thread.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jeezers

@horgen said:
@jeezers said:
@horgen said:
@jeezers said:

You could start your answer with "If". As it is now your first post in this thread could be seen as spam and an attempt at derailing the thread.

Then shouldn't the question its self start with "If".

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Serraph105

@jeezers said:
@Serraph105 said:

Both

and they did eventually get the aid, they just did not know aid would be frozen temporarily at the time of the phone call.

Personally i find this Ukraine call/Biden/Aid story a big smokecreen to take away focus from William Barr's investigation to try and keep everything focused on Trump instead of the political interference done by our own officials during the 2016 election.

It can't be both scenarios, they contradict each other. That's why I was asking you to clarify which one you believed.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@jeezers said:
@Serraph105 said:

Both

For our investigation into Trump during the 2016 election to qualify as interference, wouldn't the public have needed to know about it at the time? Was there any propaganda that resulted from it?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 horgen  Moderator

@jeezers said:

You could start your answer with "If".

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Serraph105

@horgen said:
@jeezers said:

You could start your answer with "If".

It doesn't matter man. Jeezers keeps making claims that are not true and not reading (or at least not comprehending) responses from me that are purely about trying to figure out what he believes. I'm pretty much done with him on this one.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@Serraph105 said:

So you seem to be in possession of some "ironclad evidence that Trump said a word for word what you said above" so I hope you have shipped it to congress.

Until then there is no actual evidence of his "wrongdoing" other than Trump being Trump and in his normal non-politician way have said something that instantly will be made into something by the people who want him gone.

And as to the recent polls just to be clear, there is no movement among republicans.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jeezers

@Jacanuk: this entire thing is an obvious last ditch effort by the dems, its pathetic and embarrassing, the process is not transparent, there is no bipartisan effort being shown. You have Shiff deciding who gets to be in the room, which witnesses can be used, who can sit in on the meetings, republicans aren't allowed to call witnesses, aren't allowed on the meetings, trump isn't allowed to defend himself. Its honestly one of the saddest things I've ever seen in US politics in my lifetime and its obvious that the media is in on it too. They Iove the drama and the clicks, how people can take this seriously when we still have no actual evidence of a crime is INSANE.

McCarthy had a neat little speech about it recently, I agree with him, the genie is out the bottle now and they are going to have some serious egg on their face.

https://youtu.be/Hj9Cb5U7O60

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@jeezers: You do know in other impeachment inquiries it wasn't transparent either. And once it goes to a vote it will be.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:

@jeezers: You do know in other impeachment inquiries it wasn't transparent either. And once it goes to a vote it will be.

It will still be behind closed doors with Adam Shiff acting as judge and jury. The Republicans were not allowed to ask basic questions as that might lead to the identity of the so called whistle blower because the Republicans would want to have him testify which would compromise Adam Shiff. Here is a link to the name of the whistle blower and Shiff's involvement.

realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2019/10/30/whistleblower_exposed_close_to_biden_brennan_dnc_oppo_researcher_120996.html

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

It will still be behind closed doors with Adam Shiff acting as judge and jury. The Republicans were not allowed to ask basic questions as that might lead to the identity of the so called whistle blower because the Republicans would want to have him testify which would compromise Adam Shiff. Here is a link to the name of the whistle blower and Shiff's involvement.

That's because they have to do their own investigation. Other impeachments had the investigation first as well. Ever hear of a Grand Jury? The Justice Department isn't...……...another misuse of power by trump by the way. The actual impeachment will be public.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@jeezers said:

1. The same crime Cohen went to jail for. If you could charge a sitting president, he would have been charged. Anyone else would have. Cohen isn't guilty in Trump's stead. That makes no sense. There are three parties, the Lawyer, Trump and his accountant who were involved.

2. Obstruction of justice. The report never found him innocent, it in fact mentioned several occasions (maybe 10) of obstruction of justice. They just left it up to congress, who chose to do nothing. 'you can still be guilty of obstruction of justice without committing a crime'.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/18/18484731/mueller-report-trump-barr-obstruction-legal-experts

3. Trump CANNOT ask a foreign entity to involve themselves against his political opponents. The portion of the transcript released was enough proof for that.

4. Trump withheld 400M in aid to Ukraine, unless they agreed to proceed with investigations. A decorated US Colonel testified to this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/29/public-confirmations-quid-pro-quo-between-trump-ukraine/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/22/us-ambassador-bill-taylor-ukraine-trump-military-aid-biden

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/us/politics/ukraine-aid-freeze-impeachment.html

These are all separate crimes.

There's a chance the FBI steps in the minute Trump steps down as president and is no longer protected under the rule 'A sitting president cannot be charged'.

@jeezers said:
@horgen said:
@jeezers said:

Firstly, decorated witness aside. Trump's own transcript was enough. That brings up another problem. Trump broke protocol and had this and other phone calls stored in a classified server. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-ukraine-call-white-house-secret-server-impeachment-a9123536.html

If Trump is telling the truth and it is indeed a perfect phone call, release it to the interested members of Congress and the Senate and get this cleared up today.

-

You ask for concrete evidence, but people charged are not convicted, they are investigated. And so far there is enough evidence to move forward with investigations. And enough to move forward with impeachment investigations. If Trump is innocent, then the impeach procedure will fail in its tracks. However, so far it's not looking good.

Eventually, further along the procedure it goes, there'll be subpoena's for evidence, including the phone calls in the classified servers I imagine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I don't know all the specific facts of this case. But I think that asking a foreign country for dirt on your political rivals is an impeachable offense. I certainly support a transparent investigation. I also think grossly incompetent, unstable, and unfit for the presidency is also impeachable but that's a much more subjective thing and depends on p.o.v.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Do people really believe the lies Trump says daily or do they just hate progressives so much they don't care?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jeezers

@narlymech: I feel the same way about people who believe in Nancy Pelosi or Chuck shumer.

Different strokes for different folks I guess lol

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 N64DD

Still waiting for those facts/proof.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I for one think it would be interesting if we in the rest of the world got to influence who gets to be the president in the US, Since it's clearly okay if we meddle in the political process.