Donald Trump is biggest single source of coronavirus misinformation researchers say

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Donald Trump is biggest single source of coronavirus misinformation researchers say

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/trump-coronavirus-misinformation-report-cornell-university-covid-19-b742810.html

Donald Trump is the biggest individual source of coronavirus misinformation, according to a new study.

Researchers at Cornell University found that mentions of the president were responsible for 38 per cent of the overall “misinformation conversation” and the single largest factor in what they branded an “infodemic.”

“The biggest surprise was that the president of the United States was the single largest driver of misinformation around Covid,” Sarah Evanega, the director of the Cornell Alliance for Science and the study’s lead author told the New York Times.

“That’s concerning in that there are real-world dire health implications.”

Now that's pretty damning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

Your avatar sums up this whole situation so perfectly.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Anyone surprised by this?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@horgen said:

Yes the researcher herself, it says so in the OP. She was shocked that the research she choose to publish one month before the election would turn out to be critical of Trump. Clearly that was not at all what she intended.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator

@Sushiglutton said:
@horgen said:

Yes the researcher herself, it says so in the OP. She was shocked that the research she choose to publish one month before the election would turn out to be critical of Trump. Clearly that was not at all what she intended.

Are you insinuating that she shouldn't have released it?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

And now it may have bitten him in the ass, as Trump has been tested positive for COVID 19.

I hope the COVID 19 infodemic can end soon. People not taking the disease seriously is a threat to society.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I'm not surprised by this TBH..........

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

He is responsible for so many dying, it's sad so many lives could have been saved.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Now he's a source of the virus too.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sushiglutton

@horgen said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@horgen said:

Are you insinuating that she shouldn't have released it?

I think it’s super important that the general public has confidence in science. For example if we are going to solve climate change we need a big fraction of the population to believe it’s real.

Some researchers in the humanities have a tendency to call their political hit pieces “research” to give them more weight. I think that’s bad. It leads to some people on the right writing off all science as “leftist propaganda”.

She can publish what she wants. But I think it’s better if journalists do this type of research to preserve the integrity of science.

My two cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@Sushiglutton said:

I think it’s super important that the general public has confidence in science. For example if we are going to solve climate change we need a big fraction of the population to believe it’s real.

Some researchers in the humanities have a tendency to call their political hit pieces “research” to give them more weight. I think that’s bad. It leads to some people on the right writing off all science as “leftist propaganda”.

She can publish what she wants. But I think it’s better if journalists do this type of research to preserve the integrity of science.

My two cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

Science is peer reviewed, isn't it?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Now he's a source of the virus too.

I have very mixed feelings about this.

At this point I need to forget Trump and just think of the office he holds.

Either way, I really hope we don't see celebrating from progressives, liberals, protestors and so on. That would not help Biden, and it is very poor form in either case.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sushiglutton

@horgen said:
@Sushiglutton said:

My two cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, I think so.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:
@horgen said:
@Sushiglutton said:

My two cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, I think so.

Even political "science"?

More traditional science--physics, biology, chemsitry, etc--is highly objective and fact-based, but politics is pretty easy to manipulate as it's an analysis of history (which is prone to interpretation, lies, and so on) and statistics (which are easy to manipulate).

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sushiglutton

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@horgen said:
@Sushiglutton said:

My two cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, I think so.

More traditional science--physics, biology, chemsitry, etc--is highly objective and fact-based, but politics is pretty easy to manipulate as it's an analysis of history (which is prone to interpretation, lies, and so on) and statistics (which are easy to manipulate).

I think so. But if all “peers” have the same biases it doesn’t really do much.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@horgen said:
@Sushiglutton said:

My two cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, I think so.

I have little confidence in poli-sci for the reasons you just mentioned bojangles, i think its ridiculous it uses the word science at all to be honest. Some people do look at political science the same way they look at actual science like chemisty and i find that to be ludacris and not realistic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Trump has been terrible on Covid response. Calling the medical community "fake news" because he thinks his three brain cell crowd knows more. Trump supporters, who do you trust more? Doctors Or Trump? Tell me.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@jeezers said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@horgen said:
@Sushiglutton said:

I see no reason to distrust this study, seems about right tbh.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@sonicare said:

Trump has been terrible on Covid response. Calling the medical community "fake news" because he thinks his three brain cell crowd knows more. Trump supporters, who do you trust more? Doctors Or Trump? Tell me.

In donnie they trust.........

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

Anybody that looks to Trump as a source of intelligence has never finished reading a book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

@ratchetclank92 said:

Anybody that looks to Trump as a source of intelligence has never finished reading a book.

To be fair, many probably never finished school.

It's no coincidence that the more educated a person is, the more left leaning they become.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

White House strategy is herd immunity:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-admin-admits-embrace-disputed-055703044.html