Do you think people with mental illness that can't be cured should have a legal right to die?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm sure some of you heard of Death with Dignity it's when a person with a permanent physical illness can legally pass away to end their suffering. Do you think a person that has a mental illness like depression for decades that can't get any better should have the right to pass away legally? For me I say yes nobody is asked to be put on this earth. If a person has tried everything and wants to choose to end their own life without doing it in a barbaric way it's their body and life and nobody else's I believe people deserve that right what do you think?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Of course they should have the right. Depression guts people into walking shells of their true potential.

Of course with the stigma and ignorance still surrounding mental illness, it won’t happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

If woman can get abortions I guess someone could argue that suicide by injection is the person's body and choice. Or else it wouldn't seem fair that someone can decide to get abortion but can't kill themselevs...in a legal way.... Oh boy, This is going to be an issue more controversial than abortion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Yes, I believe so. Providing the person is evaluated by a professional, or several, in mental health and still decides to die.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

I believe in Euthanasia, so yes. Of course, once you're within the legal age.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Go to Holland, you can choose to die.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Everyone should have a right to die. To paraphrase Morty of Rick and Morty: "Nobody is born on purpose". We didn't ask to be born, we didn't ask to exist, we should have an option to "exit" should we deem it necessary. Why does it have to be exclusive to people with an illness, physical or mental?

Granted, the people with illness (especially those physical wasting diseases where pain medication is of no use, God I cannot imagine a pain so terrible that the strongest pain meds don't do any good...I've read about diseases where tumors grow on your spinal cord or nerve bundles and all the pain meds in the world don't do any good) should obviously get first consideration, but ultimately it should be up to every individual.

Honestly, it's really simple:

1. Offer the service

2. Before killing yourself, there is a three-day "cool off" period (or a week. I don't know)

3. During this time, there are mandatory counseling/therapy sessions

4. If, at the end of this time period, and after fulfilling the mandatory sessions, you still want to kill yourself, well...go for it.

5. And, I don't know if it's possible, but offer a "way out" option, i.e. if you take an injection of poison, it takes 1 hour to take effect. There's an antidote available if you want it should you change your mind. They say that nearly everyone that jumps to kill themselves and lives regret their decision.

@MirkoS77 said:

Of course they should have the right. Depression guts people into walking shells of their true potential.

Of course with the stigma and ignorance still surrounding mental illness, it won’t happen.

Yeah, I think people are less ignorant these days, but there's still a large stigma to it.

@watercrack445 said:

If woman can get abortions I guess someone could argue that suicide by injection is the person's body and choice. Or else it wouldn't seem fair that someone can decide to get abortion but can't kill themselevs...in a legal way.... Oh boy, This is going to be an issue more controversial than abortion.

The problem is persuading doctors, or simply finding one, willing to do the procedure. Doctors take their Hippocratic oath very seriously, and on top of that, there is a reputation to uphold as well; what hospital is going to employ a doctor that willingly euthanizes their patients, albeit at the patient's request?

This is a highly, highly specialized/niche profession.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Depression is rampant and we’d lose a lot of our population. Probably half of China.

Careful what you wish for.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Shouldn't we all have that right?

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Yes....

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Mental illness is not something you can just cure. It's a difficult subject to look into.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

We need one of those suicide booths from Futurama.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MirkoS77

I have Bipolar II and am also the survivor of a tumor that was the size of a softball in my chest which I had at 21. That disease required many years of fighting (chemo, radiation, the works), but I can tell you without hesitation that as difficult as it was, it pales in comparison to the absolute hell that is mental illness. There's not many diseases out there crueler. Bipolar is especially cruel because it's a condition of highs and lows. So one minute you wake up on a high, feeling invigorated towards life, motivated, then a few days later you can barely get out of bed and take interest in anything other than biological necessities. It guts you as a person, it's absolute torture. It dangles the potential of a life you so desperately want, then rips it away as you're plunged into darkness and despair. It's a cycle that builds, and then subsequently tears down. This never relents.

@mrbojangles25: Yeah, I think people are less ignorant these days, but there's still a large stigma to it.

Mental illness is a monster, but comparable to the evil of the ignorant who refuse to believe it's anything but a lack of personal character and ambition. I hate these people beyond measure. They sit there in affluence (their perfect health) and sling contempt at those who exist in pure personal poverty not of their own fault. And for what? To feel better about themselves and their achievements. I don't mind if people are ignorant, I mind when that ignorance manifests into arrogance. It's especially infuriating when they're so adamant they're right, and I KNOW that they are wrong. Their opinions attempt to invalidate the strength and determination I've put forth for years to survive when they haven't even had to do so a single day, and they reap life's benefits because they don't have to do so.

Of course, these people never actually come to your face and tell you what they think of you, they always do so through insinuation, implication, subtlety, passive aggressiveness, and nuance. They are cowards of the highest order. I'd slit every one of their throats if I could get away with it. And as there's a large part of me that doesn't care if I live much longer, perhaps I'll do so anyway and join their ranks. Nobody thinks anything of me anyway, I've nothing to lose, and mental illness combined with hate, apathy, and a massive degree of nihilism is a dangerous recipe. Only the love of my parents keeps it on the stove.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

@MirkoS77: Yeah I've got my own mental health issues as well. Won't go into details, but it's not nice.

Honestly, I consider myself luckier than most because my parents are supportive; but even in that light, it's interesting because they just don't want to talk about it. They acknowledge it, and they say "get the help you need", but that's about as far as it goes.

Just speculating here, but I think parents are often in denial: they either don't want to admit that their kid has a mental disease and that it's "all in their head"; or they don't want to admit that they contributed to it either through hereditary or environmental factors (generally both).

It'd be really interesting if we had access to all my family's records, see how many of them had problems, how many suicides there have been in the family, and so forth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

What pisses me off is that there could be hope with Illegal drugs but the government doesn't care there has been many cases showing that MDMA, Ketamine, and Psilocybin mushrooms are having breakthrough's for mental illnesses. This story breaks my heart it's a tragedy what mental illness can do antidepressants don't work for everybody. It's horrible what the sons depression must of been like the amount of pain you have to be in to take your own life is unimaginable but seeing the father after the treatment is amazing. This treatment should be available everywhere for everyone so people can at least have a chance and it should be covered by insurance.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

I agree that anyone who wishes to die should be legally allowed to do so. It's a shit show now across the spectrum when it comes to dying with dignity from physical ailments/pain. I'm going to figure it'll be even more of one for mental health.

Just open a facility and do it that way? Clear and Cut? If not, and guidelines are needed cause of "influences" and all that, then how is it going to be any better than the issues with diagnosing and treatment of mental health ailments already?

I also vote for the Futurama suicide booths.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@MirkoS77: Yeah your post is peppered with violent thoughts, and it would probably be better if someone like you could kill themselves before they actually act on some of what you just posted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Sometimes we need help entering the world during birth.

Sometimes we need help leaving the world in death.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MirkoS77

@Baconstrip78: only one violent thought by my count. Mental illness skews better judgement, but it’s good to see you don’t judge or wish ill upon those with it based on that.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Baconstrip78

@MirkoS77: If your mental illness causes physically harm to others then the world is better off without you.

I don’t feel bad for saying that at all.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MirkoS77
@Baconstrip78 said:

@MirkoS77: If your mental illness causes physically harm to others then the world is better off without you.

I don’t feel bad for saying that at all.

If people's indifference and ignorance towards mental illness causes emotional harm to those who must endure it, then the world is better of without them (and you). So why don't you do us all a favor and follow your own advice? Because I can assure you that as one who's gone through the ringer on both spectrums, mental and physical, one is far more hurtful than the other.

I don't feel bad for saying that at all.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Anyone should be able to die if they feel they want to. Regardless of reason.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

And evidently people shouldn’t get help. Just die.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts

@MirkoS77: I don't know if it was intentional, but your post was written in such a way that draws strong parallels to poverty and the attitude about it of many of those who are affluent.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MirkoS77
@mattbbpl said:

@MirkoS77: I don't know if it was intentional, but your post was written in such a way that draws strong parallels to poverty and the attitude about it of many of those who are affluent.

It's analogous to the sense many would construe it; it was intentional as the analogy is befitting. One without their health (mental and physical) exists in poverty as opposed to one who lives in affluence (that being, with it). The only distinction in contrast to monetary wealth vs. health lies in the ignorance of the latter's benefits because it is viewed as the status quo. People with their health have no concept of what they have. It's a vast disparity. You can't understand what it's like to appreciate something until you've lost it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts

@MirkoS77: Yeah, I just thought it was an interesting parallel. I thought it was well done.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MirkoS77
@mattbbpl said:

@MirkoS77: Yeah, I just thought it was an interesting parallel. I thought it was well done.

Ah, well thanks.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Baconstrip78

@MirkoS77: I’d never kill myself because I’m not mentally ill. So yeah...that doesn’t really work.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MirkoS77

@Baconstrip78: not all who kill themselves are mentally ill. So yeah, it kind of does.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

While I hope people don't choose to take that route (outside of being in extreme pain/already dying, everyone should have the right to die.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@warmblur said:

What pisses me off is that there could be hope with Illegal drugs but the government doesn't care there has been many cases showing that MDMA, Ketamine, and Psilocybin mushrooms are having breakthrough's for mental illnesses. This story breaks my heart it's a tragedy what mental illness can do antidepressants don't work for everybody. It's horrible what the sons depression must of been like the amount of pain you have to be in to take your own life is unimaginable but seeing the father after the treatment is amazing. This treatment should be available everywhere for everyone so people can at least have a chance and it should be covered by insurance.

Loading Video...

I've taken Ketamine before as a sedative for surgery and the experiences the describe is very similar to mine (out of body experience and very interstellar-like). It's a great sense of euphoria that sticks to you for awhile.

Infusion clinics exist but not all insurances will cover it and it's very hard to persuade them. The cost of one out of pocket is also very expensive but probably worth it if you're deeply depressed with no alternative.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Gaming-Planet said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

I've taken Ketamine before as a sedative for surgery and the experiences the describe is very similar to mine (out of body experience and very interstellar-like). It's a great sense of euphoria that sticks to you for awhile.

Infusion clinics exist but not all insurances will cover it and it's very hard to persuade them. The cost of one out of pocket is also very expensive but probably worth it if you're deeply depressed with no alternative.

I really hope in a couple years that this and MDMA therapy become legal nation wide. Not saying it will save everybody but there's a better chance with this then big Pharma pills.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

How do you pass sentence on someone who's dead? Is it illegal to commit suicide? I'm not sure.

They should give extasy to depressives. It is what the drug was invented for, and relationship counselling... as I see has already been discussed.

As far as mental illness goes. If you believe yourself to have a mental illness, then you are probably not mentally ill anyway. Or at least not delusional.

In terms of human cabbages though. Just put them down. People have come out of comas but some brain damage can be so severe it's not kind to keep them alive, especially if they are not self aware.

A mental illness / condition does not necessarily mean a lower quality of life than someone without mental illness who may have other problems which cause mental unrest. Case in point, my alcoholic father who I can't stand. Get's so drunk he embarrases everyone then goes fully to the dark side. That means it bed time. He is an emotional wreck and probably always will be.

I have had a knot in my stomach for the past 8 years or so but not many people are really going to top themselves. Human's are far too vain. If I'm anything to go by.

The cowards way out.
The cowards way out.

It's not exactly difficult to commit suicide, technically. But people rarely manage it as it is usually a cry for help/attention. Which is reasonable given how isolated we are culturally, in the west.

There are no markets any more and Supermarkets are very impersonal.

Statistically, depression is a western plague.

I suggest moving to the third world for a better quality of life.