Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

The Hill

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said it operated a fake university in Michigan to target students who were undocumented immigrants, according to federal indictments unsealed on Wednesday.

The documents, reported by The Detroit Free Press, stated that eight people were arrested and indicted for conspiracy to commit visa fraud and harboring undocumented immigrants for profit.

Six people were arrested in Detroit, while the other two were taken into custody in Florida and Virginia, the Free Press reported. Prosecutors said students enrolled at the fake university to obtain jobs under a student visa program called CPT (Curricular Practical Training).

The indictment said the defendants aided at least 600 undocumented immigrants in illegally remaining, re-entering and working in the U.S. as part of a "pay to stay" scheme.

According to the filing, the defendants were taken into custody after facilitating the enrollment of students into a “metro Detroit private university that, unbeknownst to the conspirators, was operated by HSI (Homeland Security Investigation) special agents as part of an undercover operation."

“We are all aware that international students can be a valuable asset to our country, but as this case shows, the well-intended international student visa program can also be exploited and abused,” U.S. Attorney Matthew Schneider said in a statement announcing the unsealed indictments.

The university, dubbed the “University of Farmington,” had a website touting its credentials and "dynamic business administration and STEM curriculum."

DHS did not immediately respond to request for comment from The Hill.

The indictment alleges that students who enrolled "knew that they would not attend any actual classes, earn credits or make academic progress towards an actual degree,” but enrolled only to remain in the country.

Students visas allow individuals to remain in the U.S. if they are enrolled and maintaining progress toward a degree, otherwise they must leave within 60 days.

Immigration attorney Rahul Reddy told the Free Press that students enrolled at the university have already been detained in cities across the country.

HSI has been probing the university's dealings since 2015, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Anyone remember that scene in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" when those kids were kidnapped? That's exactly what this is.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

jesus christ

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Don't these people have something better to do than harass people? Like go after actual threats.

I wonder if this is reprisal from Trump after not getting his way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

Anyone remember that scene in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" when those kids were kidnapped? That's exactly what this is.

Loading Video...

a classic

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Haha. I love hearing this from citizens. "Don't you have actual crime to handle?" It's music to my ears.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@mrbojangles25: Haha. I love hearing this from citizens. "Don't you have actual crime to handle?" It's music to my ears.

That's not what I meant at all. Jesus, dude.

Pretty big difference between criticizing a corrupt entrapment job...

...and giving a cop shit because they don't want a parking ticket.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#7 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Ah, entrapment. More music. I've been privileged to work with our problem oriented policing unit, which is a community driven policing unit, for 14 months, and I've done prostitution stings, drug stings, minor decoy operations (furnish alcohol to a minor for ex), bait bike/car/package operations... Etc. All of which routinely end in just a citation (ignoring probation, PRCS, parole violations).

While I think don't break the law is suffice... Also important mantra... Don't help others break the law!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Chris Hansen: To Catch a Migrant.