Denver sheriff orders internal investigation after undocumented immigrant wanted by ICE posts bond

Piisexactly4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Piisexactly4
Member since 2017 • 65 Posts

http://kdvr.com/2018/03/12/denver-sheriff-orders-internal-investigation-after-undocumented-immigrant-wanted-by-ice-posts-bond/

"DENVER – The Denver Sheriff’s Department has said it is investigating why immigration authorities weren’t notified of the release of a jail inmate until about an hour after he had already left.

Ivan Zamarripa-Castaneda of Mexico, 26, is charged with vehicular homicide in a hit-and-run crash that killed truck driver John Anderson, 57, on Interstate 70 on March 3. He was released from Denver’s jail at 5:28 p.m. Saturday after posting $25,000 bond but U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was not notified until 6:33 p.m., the sheriff’s department said."

"

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@piisexactly4 said:

http://kdvr.com/2018/03/12/denver-sheriff-orders-internal-investigation-after-undocumented-immigrant-wanted-by-ice-posts-bond/

"DENVER – The Denver Sheriff’s Department has said it is investigating why immigration authorities weren’t notified of the release of a jail inmate until about an hour after he had already left.

Ivan Zamarripa-Castaneda of Mexico, 26, is charged with vehicular homicide in a hit-and-run crash that killed truck driver John Anderson, 57, on Interstate 70 on March 3. He was released from Denver’s jail at 5:28 p.m. Saturday after posting $25,000 bond but U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was not notified until 6:33 p.m., the sheriff’s department said."

"

Hmm, ok

Not good news for whomever in the office decided that ICE should not be notified

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@piisexactly4 said:

"

Hmm, ok

Not good news for whomever in the office decided that ICE should not be notified

ICE was notified. Says so in the link.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@piisexactly4 said:

"

Hmm, ok

He obviously means prior to his release. He should have been released into ICE custody.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@piisexactly4 said:

"

Hmm, ok

Clearly, ICE was not notified while the person was in custody and only after it was too late.

That was clearly a liberal cop who felt that a criminal should be let loose because they happen to be illegal.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

He obviously means prior to his release. He should have been released into ICE custody.

Zamarripa-Castaneda posted the $25,000 bond and the sheriff's department said it notified ICE of the pending release, but it did not give a time.

From the article..........see the phrase pending release? Means he wasn't out yet.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

Hmm, ok

Clearly, ICE was not notified while the person was in custody and only after it was too late.

That was clearly a liberal cop who felt that a criminal should be let loose because they happen to be illegal.

READ THE LINK. It's says ICE was notified but weren't given an exact time. He was in custody at that time. If you are allowed bail on an offense and make it....that's how it works. IF ICE wanted him they should have sent an agent over with the paperwork. Or do you not want to follow any of our laws since you support trump?

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Zamarripa-Castaneda posted the $25,000 bond and the sheriff's department said it notified ICE of the pending release, but it did not give a time.

From the article..........see the phrase pending release? Means he wasn't out yet.

ICE requested a notification if Zamarripa-Castaneda was going to be released. Zamarripa-Castaneda bonded out at 5:28 p.m. Saturday, but ICE was notified until 6:33 p.m.

This implied that ICE was not notified in a timely fashion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:

ICE requested a notification if Zamarripa-Castaneda was going to be released. Zamarripa-Castaneda bonded out at 5:28 p.m. Saturday, but ICE was notified until 6:33 p.m.

Dude I quoted that exactly from the article.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:

But you didn't. For whatever reason you're being petty. We get it, you're a liberal that likes to infantilize minorities at every opportunity and be hypercritical of anyone who supports with law enforcement.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

But you didn't. For whatever reason you're being petty. We get it, you're a liberal that likes to infantilize minorities at every opportunity and be hypercritical of anyone who supports with law enforcement.

I'm not a liberal....apparently you're one of those that label everyone that shows them they are wrong. I copied and pasted that sentence FROM THE ARTICLE. Stop lying.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm not a liberal....apparently you're one of those that label everyone that shows them they are wrong. I copied and pasted that sentence FROM THE ARTICLE. Stop lying.

lol apparently you're one of those that gets worked up over being "labeled", but constantly takes partisan positions and makes sweeping generalizations when it's convenient to your argument.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Why did you mishandle the quote? It said "but U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was not notified until 6:33 p.m"

It´s clearly meant to indicate that ICE was not notified until the person was released on bail.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:

lol apparently you're one of those that gets worked up over being "labeled", but constantly takes partisan positions and makes sweeping generalizations when it's convenient to your argument.

Actually there is nothing partisan is being able to read.....or you could be right and that's how trump got elected.. Thanks for clarifying. I'm a liberal because I can read.

No, but the article strongly asserts and provides a context for ICE not being appropriately notified. When @Jacanuk asserted that there would be consequences for the person who was responsible for doing so, you made some retarded petty argument that implied that he didn't know what he was talking about. Are you just that petty or do you have a bone to pick with whatever position or narrative you think is being supported?

Also, you literally did not quote or even acknowledge : ICE requested a notification if Zamarripa-Castaneda was going to be released. Zamarripa-Castaneda bonded out at 5:28 p.m. Saturday, but ICE was notified until 6:33 p.m.

Doubling down on the notion that you did is either an act of incompetence or dishonesty.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Why did you mishandle the quote? It said "but U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was not notified until 6:33 p.m"

It´s clearly meant to indicate that ICE was not notified until the person was released on bail.

The article says both things. Confusing to be honest.

Unless it means that ICE was notified of the pending release, however a specific time for his release was never given until after he was released.

If ICE was notified of the pending release, why couldn't anyone from their offices come and pick him up? Request his release once they arrive or simply wait for him to be released?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

The article says both things. Confusing to be honest.

Unless it means that ICE was notified of the pending release, however a specific time for his release was never given until after he was released.

If ICE was notified of the pending release, why couldn't anyone from their offices come and pick him up? Request his release once they arrive or simply wait for him to be released?

Ya, also the article says

"In the case of Zamarripa-Castaneda, the bonding process took about 10 hours, which would normally give ICE plenty of warning to pick up the suspect it is seeking.

But Denver Sheriff Patrick Firman admits the department didn't notify ICE until 6:33 p.m. on Saturday, more than an hour after Zamarripa-Cataneda was released at 5:26 p.m.

"

So some officer decided to not notify ICE until an hour after the Illegal immigrant was released

Well, at least I hope that officer is found and let go, so he can go stand in the unemployment line where he belongs.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

So some officer decided to not notify ICE until an hour after the Illegal immigrant was released

Well, at least I hope that officer is found and let go, so he can go stand in the unemployment line where he belongs.

Maybe use this case to go over the laws and practices for determinering who can be released on bond (am I using the words correctly now?)? I assume a lot of the work is done on a computer. Should be possible to set it up so either this process is denied because of A (and B, C etc if there are several reasons) or that agencies on the lookout for said person is notified.

I wouldn't say right away that someone deserves to be fired for this without knowing anything about the routines around said process.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

Maybe use this case to go over the laws and practices for determinering who can be released on bond (am I using the words correctly now?)? I assume a lot of the work is done on a computer. Should be possible to set it up so either this process is denied because of A (and B, C etc if there are several reasons) or that agencies on the lookout for said person is notified.

I wouldn't say right away that someone deserves to be fired for this without knowing anything about the routines around said process.

Yep, the problem is that ICE is Federal and a lot of states have some strange idea not to help out the federal agencies.

But there definitely needs to be looked into something being done, The law needs to be upheld and we can´t have ordinary state police running around making a joke of it.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@Jacanuk said:

I honestly don't think this was ideological bias and that it was strictly a lack of competence. I think far too often people are ready to apply some sort of ideological bias or racism towards the actions of the police, but it seems in a majority of cases it has everything to do with a lack of competence.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Seems dumb to notify them after release, but I don't think they can hold them after he's made bail unless ICE has a court order

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

@drlostrib said:

Seems dumb to notify them after release, but I don't think they can hold them after he's made bail unless ICE has a court order

They can, ICE can put a Detainer hold on a prisoner which gives them time to go and get them.

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@Jacanuk said:

I honestly don't think this was ideological bias and that it was strictly a lack of competence. I think far too often people are ready to apply some sort of ideological bias or racism towards the actions of the police, but it seems in a majority of cases it has everything to do with a lack of competence.

Hmm, you could be right but to be honest, in these Trump times I think a lot of the "incompetence" we are seeing are peoples rebelling towards Trump.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DrLostRib
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

They can, ICE can put a Detainer hold on a prisoner which gives them time to go and get them.

The sheriffs cannot hold them after they've made bail

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

the article is poorly written for sure.

from what i can tell

1) ICE officials placed a detainer hold on him last week.

2) ICE requested a notification if Zamarripa-Castaneda was going to be released. ( when? not sure. maybe that is at the detainer is? )

3) Zamarripa-Castaneda posted the $25,000 bond and the sheriff's department said it notified ICE of the pending release, but it did not give a time. ( was this notice of pending release BEFORE or after he was actually released? unclear )

4) dude is released on bond, ICE notified 1 hour later. is this the same notification as #3? unclear. how is it a notification of a pending release if the guy has already been released.

5) ICE shows up and guy is MIA

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk

@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

No shit, as I said ICE can put a Detainer on them, which means they are "hold" without bail until ICE is down there.

In regards to this case, the normal procedure as stated in the article is that ICE is notified before they make bail, which allows them enough time to get them before their bail is made.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger

@comp_atkins said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:

from what i can tell

2) ICE requested a notification if Zamarripa-Castaneda was going to be released. ( when? not sure. maybe that is at the detainer is? )

3) Zamarripa-Castaneda posted the $25,000 bond and the sheriff's department said it notified ICE of the pending release, but it did not give a time. ( was this notice of pending release BEFORE or after he was actually released? unclear )

4) dude is released on bond, ICE notified 1 hour later. is this the same notification as #3? unclear. how is it a notification of a pending release if the guy has already been released.

Communication seems to be the issue. The police were so delayed in notifying ICE that he was going to be released that by the time they did he had already gone. When someone is released from prison it's a process. It's not like once they've received the paperwork, they hit a button, and the doors fly open and he walks out. You are "released" once the paperwork is filed and that's when the process begins where they give you back all your shit and what not. It takes about an hour.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk

@comp_atkins said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

from what i can tell

Ya, the article seems written by a college student.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DrLostRib

@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

No shit, as I said ICE can put a Detainer on them, which means they are "hold" without bail until ICE is down there.

In regards to this case, the normal procedure as stated in the article is that ICE is notified before they make bail, which allows them enough time to get them before their bail is made.

Except bail would be up to the court, which may take in account the ICE detainer. however, they are not required to hold someone on an ICE detainer or not legally allowed to

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:

Except bail would be up to the court, which may take in account the ICE detainer. however, they are not required to hold someone on an ICE detainer or not legally allowed to

No they aren't required to which is probably why ICE had requested to be notified if he would be released. Someone either ****ed up or intentionally evaded protocol.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jacanuk

@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

That is not the case.

Some states especially Sanctuary cities may not abide by a Detainer solely, but most states do follow them.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrLostRib

@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:

That is not the case.

Some states especially Sanctuary cities may not abide by a Detainer solely, but most states do follow them.

Courts have found that ICE detainers do not have to be followed and that holding someone longer violates the constitution.

And it seems that Denver does not honor ICE detainers to hold people after their release date

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jacanuk

@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

That is not the case.

Courts have found that ICE detainers do not have to be followed and that holding someone longer violates the constitution.

And it seems that Denver does not honor ICE detainers to hold people after their release date

You mean some courts have.

And yes Denver does indeed seem to need more, which is why they have made it a practice to notify ICE before they are let out on bail. Considering that it can take longer than 10 hours.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DrLostRib
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

That is not the case.

You mean some courts have.

No, i meant what i said

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Yep, the problem is that ICE is Federal and a lot of states have some strange idea not to help out the federal agencies.

But there definitely needs to be looked into something being done, The law needs to be upheld and we can´t have ordinary state police running around making a joke of it.

This could be due to lack of good routines or incompetence. I don't think they intentionally wanted to make a joke of a federal law.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

So... is this thread suppose to tell me that illegal immigrants are evil criminals hellbent on drinking and driving? Or is this a thread about a particular story of federal-state miscommunication or lack of cooperation?

Anyways, there was this one time where this one guy rammed into a car and killed somebody. But the guy who did it wasn't an illegal and was an actual native-born citizen. So that made things better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I wouldnt read too much into this. The ball can be dropped plenty of times. Take that school shooter in florida. FBI had plenty of tips on him, but nothing was done. He was neither illegal nor wanted by ICE.