DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

If you were the Prez, what issues would you focus on? What mandates would you issue? What kind of foreign policy? Most importantly, what will the presidential pets be?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

There is a game called Democracy which is just about this.

I tried abolishing the government, this was the result,

Serves me right, for listening to the Libertarians who used to post on this board.

But on a serious note, what I would do if I were the prime minister would have a campaign mostly focused on Sustainability. In sweden, the left and left leaning positions are getting increasingly villified, and as a result, a lot of people, are being left behind which has lead to a lot of discontentment. And now we are focusing on short term growth rather than sustainability. Unsurprisingly this growth is unsustainable. We are buliding and investing into poverty. And now we are falling behind our scandinavian neighbours as a consequence.

If I were Prime Minister I would primarily focus on building back wealth, not invest further into poverty. I would do everything in my power to end car dependancy in the south, invest back in the people, rather than the corporations, demand insulation, close down the recently built up oil power plants, invest in renewables, push for some nationwide policies increasing density, push for tax incentives to reward businesses for hiring people who have remained unemployed for a while. I might see about inviting over Dutch City Planners and engineers, to help with achieving some of my goals.

On social issues I wouldnt do much, I would see about legalizing Weed and Prostitution. But not much more. I would rather not risk being too radical and lose the parliament. The risk is too high, and the gains too small. I might push for just progressive policies though if they are trending and just, dont have to be popular, but I dont want to lose public trust, over petty social issues.

Foreign Policy, I would be very cooperative with other nations. Arguably push for the building of a european superstate. Our country of 10 million people wont be able to stand up to foreign threats like China and Russia alone. We need to cooperate with the rest of the EU. And the US is simply put, too politically unstable, to be a viable partner. I will cooperate and try to maintain a stable relationship with the US if I can of course. But gods knows if they get someone more insane than Trump next election, that might be hard.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
@Maroxad said:

What he said.

But also. In education I would have a little (more) about what makes a good discussion or debate. Increased focus on mental health. Children seen dabbing will receive a punishment of getting whipped. Ten times. Doubles for every infraction of said law. School meals. Build more housing for students.

Test with housing for homeless people. Put in place that once a new area is regulated to housing for people, the first thing to get built is public transport if needed.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Serves me right, for listening to the Libertarians who used to post on this board.

It's a right of passage for everyone.

At this point I'd focus on tax funded healthcare. I've seen too many bankruptcies from our system and heard too many companies cite the current system as a reason for pay cuts and benefit cuts. It's an enormous burden on our economy.

That would be my one goal. If I accomplished that I'd be happy if that took the entire political capital of my term (because it probably would).

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

I rather be the State Gov than being the President of the U.S and to top it off, State Gov's have way more leeway than the U.S President.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By horgen  Moderator
@davillain- said:

I rather be the State Gov than being the President of the U.S and to top it off, State Gov's have way more leeway than the U.S President.

So you're gonna wreck the US president title by lowering it to a lowlife State Gov? :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@horgen said:

So you're gonna wreck the US president title by lowering it to a lowlife State Gov? :P

I don't like being on camera 24 hours a day😦 And besides, being the President of the U.S is hard business😖

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#8 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Oh yeah. Game time.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

@Maroxad: Is Democracy a good game? Might be fun to experiment haha

As for the topic, I have no idea lol. At the very least I'd try to bridge the gap, bring the country back together, and appeal to reason.

People generally agree on a lot of stuff until it's time to vote, then we all separate along party lines which tend to be more and more extreme. So you poll people in the off-season or whatever and most people are like "Yeah, education is important" then when voting-season comes people are either "Teachers should be millionaires" or "School is communism!"...I'd try to get rid of that mindset.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Oh yeah. Game time.

Haha nice.

Actual, real tanks for cops? Not those lame armored cars.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Maroxad

@mrbojangles25: Yes, and it is on sale on Steam too right now. 50% off.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1410710/Democracy_4/

That run I posted there was a tongue in cheek run. After arguing with LuckyLucius. I wanted to create a run based on his... policies. See where it would go. And you saw the results right there. It was done in Democracy 3, which is a bit older.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@Maroxad said:

@mrbojangles25: Yes, and it is on sale on Steam too right now. 50% off.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1410710/Democracy_4/

That run I posted there was a tongue in cheek run. After arguing with LuckyLucius. I wanted to create a run based on his... policies. See where it would go. And you saw the results right there. It was done in Democracy 3, which is a bit older.

One of the reviews: “it does a great job of capturing the flustercuck that is Earth by 2020

lol! Worth a buy just for that.

Tiklandian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tiklandian
Member since 2020 • 126 Posts

First things first, Kyle gets medal of honor and secret service job.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Maroxad: Is Democracy a good game? Might be fun to experiment haha

As for the topic, I have no idea lol. At the very least I'd try to bridge the gap, bring the country back together, and appeal to reason.

People generally agree on a lot of stuff until it's time to vote, then we all separate along party lines which tend to be more and more extreme. So you poll people in the off-season or whatever and most people are like "Yeah, education is important" then when voting-season comes people are either "Teachers should be millionaires" or "School is communism!"...I'd try to get rid of that mindset.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Oh yeah. Game time.

Haha nice.

Actual, real tanks for cops? Not those lame armored cars.

They have to pursuit-rated, so unfortunately tanks are a no-go. Perhaps a souped-up version of the JLTV... :D

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad

@Stevo_the_gamer: Enjoy, it is one of the many PC gaming gems, that often get overlooked. It has even been used in educational places. So people who are better sociologists than me have recommended it as well.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@Maroxad said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: Enjoy, it is one of the many PC gaming gems, that often get overlooked. It has even been used in educational places. So people who are better sociologists than me have recommended it as well.

This is the first I have heard of it actually, and worth a try for a measly $12. Plus only a 700mb download? Peanuts.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Heh, nah… I wrote my bit on education reforms and what-have-you and understandably, no one gives a shit, but I can give a few reasons why I’d make a terrible president instead…

Firstly, there’s the personality and background: a president, in any sane country, should be likeable and inspiring and possessed of an impeccable record and unimpeachable character. He’s not supposed to get kicks out of being a bit of a git on occasion and certainly couldn’t, say, have been caught shoplifting food or busted on petty weed offences in the past.

He also has to be stable and dependable – a person you can rely on to do exactly what’s expected of him, without deviation or improvisation. Well, that’s me out again… I kind of value spontaneity in most everything and I’m not at all keen to change that TBH. Ditto for lie-ins.

Then, because heads of state are very busy people and don’t have time to engage in-depth on every issue, a president needs to be more like Isiah Berlin’s fox than his hedgehog, i.e. he (or she) should have a little knowledge of many things rather than knowing just one big thing well. Me, I’d be lost on economic issues, and I couldn’t give a hoot about the endless formalities and meetings with dignitaries, so there goes that bit too.

So yeah, I'd be awful because - aside from being completely unqualified and having precisely the wrong character - I wouldn’t want the job anyway, since I don’t fancy walking about with a noose around my neck and basically doubt I'd enjoy any aspect of it at all. Policy formation would be more my cup of tea, if anything, but since that’s not on the table, I’ll politely decline.

* I will back Maroxad though (for Sweden ofc). Even though I hate most of his policies and stances, he’d probably have all those battered out of him anyway before he got that far, and he’d be a good fit otherwise, re. the above.

@mrbojangles25: Can't vouch for Democracy, but Democracy 3's alright, if a little broken. Don't want to spoiler, but there are a few simple cheese strategies you'll probably discover pretty early on. Don't take it too seriously though and it's a really neat little idea.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

@tiklandian said:

First things first, Kyle gets medal of honor and secret service job.

Marjorie Taylor Greene is way ahead of you lol

Article

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I would work on regulation of corporations and I would occupy African countries for minerals.

I would also change fix our educational system. Would also want to remove school districts and make it illegal to buy your way through college.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maroxad
@sancho_panzer said:

Heh, nah… I wrote my bit on education reforms and what-have-you and understandably, no one gives a shit, but I can give a few reasons why I’d make a terrible president instead…

Firstly, there’s the personality and background: a president, in any sane country, should be likeable and inspiring and possessed of an impeccable record and unimpeachable character. He’s not supposed to get kicks out of being a bit of a git on occasion and certainly couldn’t, say, have been caught shoplifting food or busted on petty weed offences in the past.

He also has to be stable and dependable – a person you can rely on to do exactly what’s expected of him, without deviation or improvisation. Well, that’s me out again… I kind of value spontaneity in most everything and I’m not at all keen to change that TBH. Ditto for lie-ins.

Then, because heads of state are very busy people and don’t have time to engage in-depth on every issue, a president needs to be more like Isiah Berlin’s fox than his hedgehog, i.e. he (or she) should have a little knowledge of many things rather than knowing just one big thing well. Me, I’d be lost on economic issues, and I couldn’t give a hoot about the endless formalities and meetings with dignitaries, so there goes that bit too.

So yeah, I'd be awful because - aside from being completely unqualified and having precisely the wrong character - I wouldn’t want the job anyway, since I don’t fancy walking about with a noose around my neck and basically doubt I'd enjoy any aspect of it at all. Policy formation would be more my cup of tea, if anything, but since that’s not on the table, I’ll politely decline.

* I will back Maroxad though (for Sweden ofc). Even though I hate most of his policies and stances, he’d probably have all those battered out of him anyway before he got that far, and he’d be a good fit otherwise, re. the above.

@mrbojangles25: Can't vouch for Democracy, but Democracy 3's alright, if a little broken. Don't want to spoiler, but there are a few simple cheese strategies you'll probably discover pretty early on. Don't take it too seriously though and it's a really neat little idea.

Yeah I personally would rather be a Mayor or City Planner rather than a Prime Minister. I am an engineer, not a sociologist, so my talents would fall better under actual engineering projects, which the more local levels would involve.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3864 Posts

The first thing I would do is have a forensic audit of the budget, eliminate the Department of Education, Cut the Energy Department by 90%, Change the Civil Service Laws so government employees can be fired, conduct investigations and forensic audits of every department to weed out duplication and useless political people and ensure they are non political. That is just for starters. Also push for term limits.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@JimB said:

The first thing I would do is have a forensic audit of the budget, eliminate the Department of Education, Cut the Energy Department by 90%, Change the Civil Service Laws so government employees can be fired, conduct investigations and forensic audits of every department to weed out duplication and useless political people and ensure they are non political. That is just for starters. Also push for term limits.

And even more uneducated voter base. Great Jim.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

We had a good education system in the United States before the Department of Education was established and the teachers union. Our country every year falls further and further behind the rest of the industrial nations in education. It is time to get rid of both entities to get our education system back on the right path to sucess.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

We had a good education system in the United States before the Department of Education was established and the teachers union. Our country every year falls further and further behind the rest of the industrial nations in education. It is time to get rid of both entities to get our education system back on the right path to sucess.

As it was before 1979 or before 1950's?

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JimB

@horgen said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

1979 For the Department of Education. The teacher's union was established in the mid 60's. It wasn't until the Department of Education came on the scene that things went to hell in a hand basket. They began experimenting with education and each plan was worse than the one before. With the teachers union it is damn near impossible to get rid of a bad teacher. Between both organizations education has been all but destroyed in the United States.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@JimB said:

You would largely focus on the irrelevant that wouldn't move the needle on anything. Awesome.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Are you sure that's what that means? Or was that just an automated response?

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I would push for term limits and major restrictions to corporate lobbying with glass door clarity on where all allocated lobby money actually goes. I would also push for restrictions on healthcare price gouging, small business tax cuts, and tighter regulation of all these massive corporate free money bailouts. I would then need to look into tighter security because pushing those points would surely get me JFK'd real quick.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator

@JimB said:
@horgen said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

1979 For the Department of Education. The teacher's union was established in the mid 60's. It wasn't until the Department of Education came on the scene that things went to hell in a hand basket. They began experimenting with education and each plan was worse than the one before. With the teachers union it is damn near impossible to get rid of a bad teacher. Between both organizations education has been all but destroyed in the United States.

I think you don't get what ED does.

The primary functions of the Department of Education are to "establish policy for, administer and coordinate most federal assistance to education, collect data on US schools, and to enforce federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights."[6] The Department of Education does not establish schools or colleges.[7]

Unlike the systems of most other countries, education in the United States is highly decentralized, and the federal government and Department of Education are not heavily involved in determining curricula or educational standards (with the exception of the No Child Left Behind Act). This has been left to state and local school districts. The quality of educational institutions and their degrees is maintained through an informal private process known as accreditation, over which the Department of Education has no direct public jurisdictional control.

The Department of Education is a member of the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness,[8] and works with federal partners to ensure proper education for homeless and runaway youth in the United States.

If you think schools in your area sucks it is due to local politics.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JimB
@horgen said:
@JimB said:
@horgen said:
@JimB said:

The primary functions of the Department of Education are to "establish policy for, administer and coordinate most federal assistance to education, collect data on US schools, and to enforce federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights."[6] The Department of Education does not establish schools or colleges.[7]

Unlike the systems of most other countries, education in the United States is highly decentralized, and the federal government and Department of Education are not heavily involved in determining curricula or educational standards (with the exception of the No Child Left Behind Act). This has been left to state and local school districts. The quality of educational institutions and their degrees is maintained through an informal private process known as accreditation, over which the Department of Education has no direct public jurisdictional control.

The Department of Education is a member of the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness,[8] and works with federal partners to ensure proper education for homeless and runaway youth in the United States.

If you think schools in your area sucks it is due to local politics.

They are all Democrats, The Department of Education has a large influence in what is taught in schools. The schools are more interested in teaching social issues than real education. It also dolls out money to schools and colleges. This is one of the reasons college educations are so expensive. As long as they keep receiving funds from the government they no longer have to be completive, and can charge what they want for crappy educations.

I almost forgot they were responsible for common core. How did that work out for education.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@horgen said:

They are all Democrats, The Department of Education has a large influence in what is taught in schools. The schools are more interested in teaching social issues than real education. It also dolls out money to schools and colleges. This is one of the reasons college educations are so expensive. As long as they keep receiving funds from the government they no longer have to be completive, and can charge what they want for crappy educations.

I almost forgot they were responsible for common core. How did that work out for education.

Quote chain guys. :(

What classes are not being taught Jim. My child's school teaches all the core classes Jim.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator

@JimB: It is obvious that the education system failed you Jim.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JimB
@horgen said:

No the education system did not fail me but it is failing our student now. They are more focused on indoctrination than education . The US is going to suffer in the future for this failure.

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@horgen said:

Quote chain guys. :(

What classes are not being taught Jim. My child's school teaches all the core classes Jim.

What is the content of the core classes being taught. For instance are they teaching in math you don't have to get the right answer or just close to the answer. How about history. Is cursive being taught? How about English and the rules for English. How much time is being spent on core subjects compared to social indoctrination or Critical Race Theory?

When I went to school we had to memorize the tomes tables, diagram sentences, practice writing, And when we got to higher math equations we used a slide rule. I am willing to bet most of you never saw a slide rule.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@horgen said:

What is the content of the core classes being taught. For instance are they teaching in math you don't have to get the right answer or just close to the answer. How about history. Is cursive being taught? How about English and the rules for English. How much time is being spent on core subjects compared to social indoctrination or Critical Race Theory?

How about you show us Jim. And CRT is a university class. It's not taught k-12.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

First executive action is enforce moderation on Gamespot. Everything else is secondary.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@eoten said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Trump won the uneducated vote by the largest margin in 50 years. And the last thing that base need is less education after what happened between covid denial and the election denial.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@horgen said:

It is incorporated into many core classes. In K-12. It might not be in your school system, but a School Superintendent in Detroit stated it is incorporated into every class. Where one district does it is a good bet it being done everywhere. Why do you think things in the last election turned out the way they did and now the DOJ is going after parents who speak out against teaching of CTR,

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

It is incorporated into many core classes. In K-12. It might not be in your school system, but a School Superintendent in Detroit stated it is incorporated into every class. Where one district does it is a good bet it being done everywhere. Why do you think things in the last election turned out the way they did and now the DOJ is going after parents who speak out against teaching of CTR,

It's not. You're falling for lies Jim.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JimB
@zaryia said:
@eoten said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Trump won the uneducated vote by the largest margin in 50 years. And the last thing that base need is less education after what happened between covid denial and the election denial.

What do you consider as uneducated? Anyone who dose not agree with you. I think you are confusing intelligence with wisdom.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@SUD123456 said:
@JimB said:

You would largely focus on the irrelevant that wouldn't move the needle on anything. Awesome.

'Useless political people'. I think that just means a purge of people, soviet style. Be gone with the non-believers!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@JimB said:
@zaryia said:
@eoten said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

What do you consider as uneducated? Anyone who dose not agree with you. I think you are confusing intelligence with wisdom.

are you implying you have wisdom but not intelligence?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 horgen  Moderator

@comp_atkins said:

are you implying you have wisdom but not intelligence?

How could Jim do that?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2410 Posts

Before my last days in office, after Republicans and corporate Democrats stonewalled me on nearly everything, I would do a bunch of executive orders, like legalizing prostitution, legalizing marijuana, pardoning all non-violent drug offenders, outlawing capital punishment, eliminating a bunch of student dept and ending the wars. If possible, my main goal would be to remove the money from politics and criminalize corruption. It's the source of most of our problems.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@warm_gun said:

Before my last days in office, after Republicans and corporate Democrats stonewalled me on nearly everything, I would do a bunch of executive orders, like legalizing prostitution, legalizing marijuana, pardoning all non-violent drug offenders, outlawing capital punishment, eliminating a bunch of student dept and ending the wars. If possible, my main goal would be to remove the money from politics and criminalize corruption. It's the source of most of our problems.

Presidents don't make law. You could pardon though.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2410 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@warm_gun said:

I've heard his powers are broader than that. The Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order, never challenged by the Supreme Court.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LJS9502_basic
@warm_gun said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I've heard his powers are broader than that. The Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order, never challenged by the Supreme Court.

I'd imagine because the states that were pro slavery seceded and the other states didn't take it to the Supreme Court. They weren't pro slave states after all.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@JimB: I know I'm late to the party here, but wanted to say I actually agree with a couple things in your original post (despite being a left-wing-socialist-facist-America-hater or whatever).

Tenure needs to be eliminated. It should not be so hard to fire bad teachers. Same with government employees in general.

Budgetary audits are also a good idea. There are a lot of redundant positions that should be eliminated and procesess that should be streamilned.

I'd also agree with getting "political people" out, though the Devil would be in the details for what that actually means.

One thing though, The Department of Health Education and Welfare was created in 1953. 1979 was when they were split into The Department of Education and The Department of Health and Human Services. So there was a federal agency overseeing education even back when out schools were "great". I would argue that it was Reagan era neoliberalism that started our slow decline as a nation, but that could be it's own forum topic.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@judaspete said:

@JimB: I know I'm late to the party here, but wanted to say I actually agree with a couple things in your original post (despite being a left-wing-socialist-facist-America-hater or whatever).

Tenure needs to be eliminated. It should not be so hard to fire bad teachers. Same with government employees in general.

Budgetary audits are also a good idea. There are a lot of redundant positions that should be eliminated and procesess that should be streamilned.

I'd also agree with getting "political people" out, though the Devil would be in the details for what that actually means.

One thing though, The Department of Health Education and Welfare was created in 1953. 1979 was when they were split into The Department of Education and The Department of Health and Human Services. So there was a federal agency overseeing education even back when out schools were "great". I would argue that it was Reagan era neoliberalism that started our slow decline as a nation, but that could be it's own forum topic.

Bureaucracies can start out doing good, but ultimately they trend the same way. Do-nothing job appointments for cronies and those attracted to that level of control over others. The FBI probably started out decent, but it's become political because of political appointments. Same is true for NSA, ATF, eventually, it all becomes political to the point their existence only serves to further certain political whims. It is a big reason why I am against larger, more expensive, more intrusive government programs or agencies.

Even you can see what some of those departments have devolved into over the years. Even you can see how rife with waste and fraud they've become. Corruption doesn't really wane and wax, it spreads like a cancer and our federal government is certainly plagued with it.

What we see in education is what ultimately happens when individuals running it are no longer held accountable. You can't fire them, you cannot move your children to another school system without physically moving to a new address. There's NOTHING you can do to hold them accountable to ensure a higher standard. I cannot think of a single industry where funding and consumption are a guarantee by government that have actually improved because of it. It would seem even you realize this.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

I would be like Bill Clinton: bang the White House interns.