$15 Minimum Wage Would Bring Mixed Fortunes for U.S. Workers.

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 burntbyhellfire
Member since 2019 • 789 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Get rid of minimum wage or bring it down to like $4/ hour. Then at the same time scrap patent laws, intellectual property rights, trademarks etc. The increased competition in all industries will create a labor shortage and raise wages for all.

you do realize you can manufacture a competing product without having to 100% knock off someone elses, do you not?.. xbox one and PS4 have virtually identical hardware inside, what patent and trademarks prevent microsoft from doing is creating a casing mold based on the PS4, slapping a sony logo on it, and claiming its a PS4.. your agument over patents and trademarks is one of the worst arguments ive heard on this site so far

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@watercrack445: Where exactly does that $1k a month come from?

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 burntbyhellfire

@joebones5000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@drunk_pi said:

If you provide tax cuts to the rich, things will get more expensive...

How come I don't hear that argument? Oh wait... Because it's a bogus argument, just like the whole "raising the wage will raise prices."

Prices are already going up. Wages aren't.

Business wise when an expense increases so does the cost of the product.

Not necessarily. Sometimes you can't raise prices and need to find the money elsewhere.

yes, by moving production to another country, like china

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@joebones5000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@joebones5000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Not necessarily. Sometimes you can't raise prices and need to find the money elsewhere.

That's not a valid business model.

Oh? Why not? I think you're just not thinking about it enough. I've noticed a disturbing trend in my favorite chocolate bars over the past decade. Prices haven't gone up, as people are only willing to pay so much for a candy bar, but the size of a bar has gone from 1.5 oz to 1.25 oz. I've also noticed that the packaging has changed. They aren't as ornately decorated with multi-color inks as they once were.

You think companies can't find savings in other areas that allow them to not raise prices?

You literally just described a cost increase to the customer. You are paying more for less.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 burntbyhellfire

@Fuhrer_D said:
@joebones5000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@joebones5000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Oh? Why not? I think you're just not thinking about it enough. I've noticed a disturbing trend in my favorite chocolate bars over the past decade. Prices haven't gone up, as people are only willing to pay so much for a candy bar, but the size of a bar has gone from 1.5 oz to 1.25 oz. I've also noticed that the packaging has changed. They aren't as ornately decorated with multi-color inks as they once were.

You think companies can't find savings in other areas that allow them to not raise prices?

You literally just described a cost increase to the customer. You are paying more for less.

the fact he doesn't realize he just made the argument against himself speaks volumes of his intellectual dishonesty.. he's just a troll

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@mattbbpl said:

@LJS9502_basic: The study cited in the OP itself states their positions are improved.

Yes It mentions a loss of jobs.

Yep, and lifts over a million people out of poverty, raises the long stagnant wages of nearly 20 million, and reduces spending on SNAP alone by $150 billion. Seems like we could address the loss of jobs with some of that.

It's projected to 1.3 million for those out of work so it's a net negative.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LJS9502_basic

@joebones5000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Well they can eliminate some jobs. That's helpful I'm sure to those on the bottom of the pay scale.

Sure. They can find new insurance providers, retool product packaging by changing to less expensive materials, improve efficiency, lay off workers, etc.

That all increases costs as well.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 burntbyhellfire

it'll force many companies to close doors on their US factories and move production overseas, and force smaller companies who cannot afford to move production, or those who provide a local service like food, to close their doors completely and go out of business

if you want to lift people out of poverty, you need jobs first and foremost, someone not working at all is not only not paying taxes, but is also costing those who are still paying taxes more for welfare or unemployment benefits compounding the costs by increasing costs while decreasing tax revenue

as far as having a "living wage".. this just isnt going to happen with any minimum wage job no matter what the minimum is set to.. youre not going to raise a family flipping burgers at mconalds, get over that fantasy, put some effort into education and training and get a job that pays better.. nobody owes anybody a "living wage" and thats your job as an adult to work towards

learn to code ;-)

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: I'm curious how you evaluate that as a net negative?

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 burntbyhellfire

@joebones5000 said:
@burntbyhellfire said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@joebones5000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

the fact he doesn't realize he just made the argument against himself speaks volumes of his intellectual dishonesty.. he's just a troll

I'm trying to decide if you guys are trolling, or just know nothing about business. I suspect the latter. I suspect you are also confusing cost of goods sold with the price you pay. lol

That is known as a value change, not a price increase. You are paying more for the smaller can of coffee, just as you pay more for everything every year, but the retailer has not increased package price. Value changes are only one way to stem price increases.

honest question, but have you ever had a job?

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 burntbyhellfire

i'll take that as a "no" and i rest my case

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 burntbyhellfire

@joebones5000 said:
@burntbyhellfire said:

i'll take that as a "no" and i rest my case

Ever employ someone? I have. I take if by your lack of understanding of business that you have not. I rest my case.

im calling bullshit

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

Minimum wage isn't meant to be a liveable wage. The kid working at McDonald's or bagging your groceries isn't meant to support a family on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#69 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@vfighter said:

Not everyone will get 1k a month, only those who are eligible.

It will come from by scraping some of the social programs and combining them into an UBI.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 burntbyhellfire
@watercrack445 said:
@vfighter said:

Not everyone will get 1k a month, only those who are eligible.

It will come from by scraping some of the social programs and combining them into an UBI.

what determines eligibility?

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Fuhrer_D

@joebones5000 said:
@burntbyhellfire said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@joebones5000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm trying to decide if you guys are trolling, or just know nothing about business. I suspect the latter. I suspect you are also confusing cost of goods sold with the price you pay. lol

That is known as a value change, not a price increase. You are paying more for the smaller can of coffee, just as you pay more for everything every year, but the retailer has not increased package price. Value changes are only one way to stem price increases.

Lol dude, I don't think you understand how value / cost works. When a company reduces the amount their customer receives, but charges them the same amount, internally it is looked at as a cost savings, and would be reported as such to share holders.

Per your example:

1.5 oz candy bar cost $1

1.25 oz candy bar cost $1

If I need 15 oz of said candy bar for something, in the end, do I pay more for the 1.5 oz bars or the 1.25 oz bars to reach my 15 oz need?

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Fuhrer_D

@r-gamer said:

Minimum wage isn't meant to be a liveable wage. The kid working at McDonald's or bagging your groceries isn't meant to support a family on it.

That is actually the other problem, these low skill jobs are really suppose to be a starting point into understanding the dynamics of the work place. Raising the minimum wage reduces the incentive for people who should have aged out of the starter job arena, keeping them in their roles, and reducing the opportunities for the youth to gain work experience.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 burntbyhellfire

@Fuhrer_D said:
@r-gamer said:

That is actually the other problem, these low skill jobs are really suppose to be a starting point into understanding the dynamics of the work place. Raising the minimum wage reduces the incentive for people who should have aged out of the starter job arena, keeping them in their roles, and reducing the opportunities for the youth to gain work experience.

and without work experience, you end up with 30 years olds living with their parents calling for UBI and telling the internets what a great visionary bernie sanders is

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 burntbyhellfire

lmfao, what minimum wage jobs were unionized?.. jobs that require no skill or education generally do not get the opportunity to unionize because any company could just as easily fire the lot of them and have them replaced by the end of the day by highschool kids.. they have no trade or skill to bargain with

it was never a living wage, and it never will be, unions have absolutely jack shit to do with that

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 burntbyhellfire

@joebones5000 said:
@burntbyhellfire said:

lmfao, what minimum wage jobs were unionized?.. jobs that require no skill or education generally do not get the opportunity to unionize because any company could just as easily fire the lot of them and have them replaced by the end of the day by highschool kids.. they have no trade or skill to bargain with

it was never a living wage, and it never will be, unions have absolutely jack shit to do with that

No one claimed any minimum wage jobs were unionized, nor did anyone claim they were ever living wages. You have a bad habit of using imaginary arguments, then attacking those imaginary arguments.

The economy has changed due to union busting, outsourcing, and the massive decline in manufacturing. Our manufacturing economy is now a service economy, which means that the low wage jobs that were once not as important are the only option for many.

If you're going to keep replying with stupid nonsense that you have made up, do it somewhere else. It's getting tiring.

and when exactly did this union busting supposedly happen?.. and i would suggest you refrain from accusing anyone from replying with stupid nonsense, as basic reading comprehension, math skills, logic, and education clearly elude you across many topics

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic

@joebones5000 said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

Lol dude, I don't think you understand how value / cost works. When a company reduces the amount their customer receives, but charges them the same amount, internally it is looked at as a cost savings, and would be reported as such to share holders.

Per your example:

1.5 oz candy bar cost $1

If I need 15 oz of said candy bar for something, in the end, do I pay more for the 1.5 oz bars or the 1.25 oz bars to reach my 15 oz need?

So we agree that the company did not raise the price of its candy bar to consumers. Thank you! finally! Someone who gets it!!!

Yeah you did. You might have kept the price the same but the quantity of the product is less. Which means you are paying more per oz.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 burntbyhellfire

they should really start teaching math in schools again

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#81  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

Increasing minimum wage has never been followed by a 1:1 ratio in increased costs, has it?

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

@horgen said:

Increasing minimum wage has never been followed by a 1:1 ratio in increased costs, has it?

It's depended a lot on the era and taken some time, but usually a minimum wage increase has been paired with raise in costs in a 1:3 ratio (this is basically a guesstimate). However, this is not even across the board; some raised more, others did not.

While minimum wage hikes are directly tied to cost increases, the actual impact on any given product or service is much more complex.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@baelnergal said:
@horgen said:

It's depended a lot on the era and taken some time, but usually a minimum wage increase has been paired with raise in costs in a 1:3 ratio (this is basically a guesstimate). However, this is not even across the board; some raised more, others did not.

While minimum wage hikes are directly tied to cost increases, the actual impact on any given product or service is much more complex.

Which would mean it helps those with minimum wage.

What should have been done long ago was having laws that said minimum wage should at least follow inflation.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 burntbyhellfire

it would seem this is another fabricated crisis.. we must have an election coming up soon or something

the average poverty rate hasn't moved much over the last 50 years.. this means that with all that war on poverty, and minimum wage increases, nobody has been pulled out of poverty and the rate of poverty is actually going down shown in the first chart, the red line being the percentage of the population in poverty

the second chart shows that while poverty levels, adjusted for inflation have remained stable, welfare spending itself has skyrocketed, shown in the second chart

the third charge shows the average household income per year, the top line adjusted for inflation

also keep in mind every adjustment to minimum wage throughout the countries history has been done in cents, in some cases taking 20 years to increase a dollar, while that poverty rate remained level, it went up $2 as the highest rate increase between '97 and 2009... what the left is discussing is an unprecedented increase of $7.50 over 5 years.. that's not adjusting for inflation, that's buying votes

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

@horgen said:
@baelnergal said:
@horgen said:

Which would mean it helps those with minimum wage.

What should have been done long ago was having laws that said minimum wage should at least follow inflation.

Not really. Every scientific study to date of minimum wage has showed it never has anything more than an extremely mitigated success at best in the last fifty years, due to elements that minimum wage hikes cannot control.

Plus, it is extremely uneven across the board as far as effects. You see greater impact in fields where human skills are extremely important, such as child care and medicine, as opposed to fields where they are not. Medical care access tends to decline with minimum wage hikes.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I have zero problems with raising minimum wages, but the whole $15 thing, doubling hourly wages with the snap of a finger, is simply put retarded.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Fuhrer_D

@joebones5000 said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@joebones5000 said:
@burntbyhellfire said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

Per your example:

1.5 oz candy bar cost $1

So we agree that the company did not raise the price of its candy bar to consumers. Thank you! finally! Someone who gets it!!!

So you wont answer in which case the customer pays more?

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 burntbyhellfire

@vfighter said:

I have zero problems with raising minimum wages, but the whole $15 thing, doubling hourly wages with the snap of a finger, is simply put retarded.

they're just doing it to buy votes.. "vote for me and i'll double your pay".. "vote for me and ill give you $1,000 a month" or "vote for me and i'll give you free healthcare".. thats the ONLY reason their proposed minimum wage increase is ridiculously high

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 LJS9502_basic

@joebones5000 said:
@Fuhrer_D sai

There's nothing to answer. You don't seem to understand the difference between a price increase to consumer and a cost of goods increase to the manufacturer. I can't do anything about that. You seem to want me to agree to a statement on your part that is erroneous over simplification. Doesn't make sense.

Cost increases to the manufacturer are passed on to the consumer.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 burntbyhellfire

@LJS9502_basic said:
@joebones5000 said:
@Fuhrer_D sai

There's nothing to answer. You don't seem to understand the difference between a price increase to consumer and a cost of goods increase to the manufacturer. I can't do anything about that. You seem to want me to agree to a statement on your part that is erroneous over simplification. Doesn't make sense.

and that includes added costs from taxes, regulations, and energy costs (carbon taxes), all passed onto the consumer in the price of the product

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 LJS9502_basic

@burntbyhellfire said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@joebones5000 said:
@Fuhrer_D sai

and that includes added costs from taxes, regulations, and energy costs (carbon taxes), all passed onto the consumer in the price of the product

Which has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. But at least your FINALLY agreed that it's an increase cost.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mattbbpl

@LJS9502_basic: "Cost increases to the manufacturer are passed on to the consumer."

That is sometimes, but not always, the case.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Fuhrer_D

@joebones5000 said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@joebones5000 said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@joebones5000 said:

Per your example:

1.5 oz candy bar cost $1

Got it, you are wrong and prefer not to admit it. Cool, at least now we know where you stand.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 burntbyhellfire

he's either trolling, 7 years old, or has serious mental disabilities

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl said:

@LJS9502_basic: "Cost increases to the manufacturer are passed on to the consumer."

That is the business model and I'm not sure why you're arguing against this. There is a formula for pricing.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 mattbbpl

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mattbbpl said:

That is the business model and I'm not sure why you're arguing against this. There is a formula for pricing.

There are formulas/strategies for pricing, but blindly raising prices because your costs rise is not one of them - that's a sure way to run a business into the ground eventually. Costs represent the price floor - the price at which supply ceases - but they aren't the only (or even the primary) determinant of a pricing strategy.

I'm arguing against what you're saying because it isn't true. It's overly simplified to the point that it isn't representative of what you're trying to say.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts
@vfighter said:

The only thing raising minimum wage does is hurt the middle class with the inflation it causes.