YC:Did you guys think Final Fantasy XIII was worth your 60.00 ?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

(NOTE: Please don't say I am trying to make this game sound great because I am a fan boy. Eversince 2008 Febuary I've been saying I wasn't too worried about FFXIII because I wanted Versus XIII more due to exclusive rights (which doesn't matter) and because of the dark characters and etc. I'm just clarifying from my point of view that this game is pretty decent and as much as I kicked it in the back (somewhat) I am giving it a pat on the back. EVERYONE should know I would choose Versus XIII over this but this is good. So please don't say "It's just a fan boy" it's just my opinion. )

I've been playing non-stop for about 3 days now since I purchased it and I have to say it's "Pretty decent". Usually, when I play a game for so long (Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, Demons Souls, GTA EFLC, and many more) I would have it completed in a jiffy (that's just because I burn the game out, everyone has different times and hours in playing their games). I actually noticed that I've been playing the game so long, that it's not over. I think that FFXIII is worth my 60.00 because

-It has nice detailed graphics. The regular cutscenes look CGI animated and the real CGI looks even better

-It takes a long time to get somewhere in the story with this game, but it makes sense and it's not bad.

-Every Character has a past and a story why they are mixed in the fate of a l'cie. I think this is pretty good.

-Overall, square has tried to think of and make something out of this game.

Now don't get me wrong, there are things different with this FF title as we all could see. I know some people can't stand how the battles seem so easy and how the game is so called "linear" but I think this game is a nice relaxing game and it's still worth 60.00 because it's long and it's not over even if you are playing non stop.

It's more to it, but I think to the point is that this game is worth 60.00.

LoveTelephone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LoveTelephone
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts

i've heard so mich "meh" surrounding FFXIII that I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and buy the game just yet. And if you have to make a list of reasons why you think FFXIII is worth 60 bux, it probably isn't... Just like GoW3 or Heavy Rain isn't... 60 bux is A LOT of money, and as much as I want ALL of these games, including FFXIII, I'm going to wait until all the hype dies down and pick them up for $30 when they inevitably become greatest hits. Until then? I'll be busy playing Demon's Souls and SSF4. Both games that are worth $60 and MORE.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
It was definitely worth my 60 bucks. The standard playthrough alone took me 55 hours (did some mark missions) and according to others, I'm only halfway there if I want that platinum trophy.
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

At first I thought it was garbage. But after playing a bit I realized that the hook for this game isn't the adventure, it's playing with the paradime (spelling?) options and tweaking your character, which is fine but still a tad on the light side.
I think alot of people are upset with this game because FF hasn't progressed in the direction they want. It's been my dream over the years to see FF become increasingly deep and complex, when in fact the series hasn't grown an inch in over a decade. In fact it's gotten even simpler, and with even less memorable charactes and villlains.
The only thing that's gotten better with each installmant is the graphics. So we all just need to stop expecting great things from FF and look at it for what it is: agraphics showcase with a little bit of game attached to it. Sadly it has gone the way no one hoped it would

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Yeah. Perhaps not exactly what I was expecting, but it was damn well worth the money. I've invested a ton of hours into the game and plan on playing more to achieve my platinum. If the entirety of thegame gave you more freedom like it does in Chapter 11 then it would have been amazing. It's a very good game though and worth full price for sure.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts

I'll probably never buy another FF again. Combat is boring and progression is so stupidly linear i can't understand how they can call it an RPG.

Also, I paid 30 GBP

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 tigertechie
Member since 2009 • 1951 Posts
I spent $120 Welcome to Australia.
jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 jiggaloj
Member since 2006 • 4345 Posts

I bought it for $40 new, but I would've gladly payed $60 for it.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="tigertechie"]I spent $120 Welcome to Australia.

..........Was it worth your 120.00 sir ? :P
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Conjuration

I spent $120 Welcome to Australia.tigertechie

What's minimum wage in Australia? $45 an hour?

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts

At first I thought it was garbage. But after playing a bit I realized that the hook for this game isn't the adventure, it's playing with the paradime (spelling?) options and tweaking your character, which is fine but still a tad on the light side.
I think alot of people are upset with this game because FF hasn't progressed in the direction they want. It's been my dream over the years to see FF become increasingly deep and complex, when in fact the series hasn't grown an inch in over a decade. In fact it's gotten even simpler, and with even less memorable charactes and villlains.
The only thing that's gotten better with each installmant is the graphics. So we all just need to stop expecting great things from FF and look at it for what it is: agraphics showcase with a little bit of game attached to it. Sadly it has gone the way no one hoped it would

Conjuration

This sums up my thoughts. I'm not every far through but the paradigm thing isnt that interesting really. If anything, it simplifies combat for the casuals.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

tirralirra

This sums up my thoughts. I'm not every far through but the paradigm thing isnt that interesting really. If anything, it simplifies combat for the casuals.

I think they did admit they wanted it to be easier for noobs to fit in FF series right in order. If I were them, I would've went up against Demons Souls to claim the most difficult RPG (and DS was easy....I lie to you not.. You just needed to grind..). Hopefully Versus is hot cakes.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Its a game wrth $40 IMO.

Got it for free.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

No, it wasn't. I really did try to enjoy the game but after 32 hrs it felt like a chore playing. No game especially a RPG should take 25hrs to "open up" in a sense. I have beaten every single main stream FF titles (Including my least favorites FFX,FF3 Original and DS remake and FF5). I just couldn't finish FFXIII and I recently sold it on ebay for $45 bucks.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Young_Charter

No, it wasn't. I really did try to enjoy the game but after 32 hrs it felt like a chore playing. No game especially a RPG should take 25hrs to "open up" in a sense. I have beaten every single main stream FF titles (Including my least favorites FFX,FF3 Original and DS remake and FF5). I just couldn't finish FFXIII and I recently sold it on ebay for $45 bucks.

jasonharris48
It did take awhile for the game to really start, but I noticed that the game would've had a long beginning so that's why they made each character have tons of flash backs.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jasonharris48

I spent $120 Welcome to Australia.tigertechie
That's crazy no wonder most of my buyers on Ebay are from Australia.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="tigertechie"]I spent $120 Welcome to Australia.jasonharris48

I wonder why games are so expensive over there. Or just that game ?
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

Not worth $60. It didn't meet a lot of expectation. Only graphic met my expectation. It could have been much better considering their development time.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="tigertechie"]I spent $120 Welcome to Australia.Young_Charter

I wonder why games are so expensive over there. Or just that game ?

Most of the games cost that much. Well at least that is what my buyers tell me. I seriously need to stop complaining about paying $65 bucks for my PS3 & 360 games lol.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Conjuration

Not worth $60. It didn't meet a lot of expectation. Only graphic met my expectation. It could have been much better considering their development time.

Everiez

This game was in development for ages. Longer than most people realize. The pre-production stuff was going on in the earlier PS2 days.
FFX wasn't even close to coming out yet and I was seeing concept art for FFXIII.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
It was easily worth $60 in my opinion. I spend 77 hours in it already and will probably end up going back at sometime. The story and presentation was absolutely outstanding, honestly the only reason people seem to hate it because it's different from the other FF games. I'm saying it's a better or worse formula than the past FF games but it's does it's job and I thoroughly enjoyed which is all that matters to me.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Young_Charter
It was easily worth $60 in my opinion. I spend 77 hours in it already and will probably end up going back at sometime. The story and presentation was absolutely outstanding, honestly the only reason people seem to hate it because it's different from the other FF games. I'm saying it's a better or worse formula than the past FF games but it's does it's job and I thoroughly enjoyed which is all that matters to me. anime_gamer007
Me and my friend were talking about that the other day. People would complain about it being the same if it was like the other ones. SE really worries about the battle system more they anything actually.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="Everiez"]

Conjuration

This game was in development for ages. Longer than most people realize. The pre-production stuff was going on in the earlier PS2 days.
FFX wasn't even close to coming out yet and I was seeing concept art for FFXIII.

The main production teams at Square are crazy. Team 4, 1, 3 were working on FFX,FFXI, XII and XIII all around the same time.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

[QUOTE="Everiez"]

jasonharris48

The main production teams at Square are crazy. Team 4, 1, 3 were working on FFX,FFXI, XII and XIII all around the same time.

I'm surprised they don't get confused lol

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Conjuration

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

[QUOTE="Everiez"]

jasonharris48

Yep, that sounds right. I remember reading an article about that in a magazine (yes...a magazine) so that was a looooong time ago.

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

[QUOTE="Everiez"]

jasonharris48

No wonder its quality suffered in some part.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Young_Charter
If you ask me, Square tries to rush a lot of things to much somewhat. I think they need a lil bit more employees (like another company for example ) and then they could get things going. I think they should (or should've) bought Grin before they closed down so they could have more manpower right there.
FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

Maybe 40 but not 60 bucks. But I'm rather cheap anyway and am usually setting myself up for disappointment when I buy something that high.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

Conjuration

Yep, that sounds right. I remember reading an article about that in a magazine (yes...a magazine) so that was a looooong time ago.

I remember reading about FFX during my fifth grade year and FFXI and XII while I was still in middle school lol.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Young_Charter

Maybe 40 but not 60 bucks. But I'm rather cheap anyway and am usually setting myself up for disappointment when I buy something that high.

FallofAthens
I don't blame you.
mexicanFOB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mexicanFOB
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

I got it for $30 and it wasdefinitely worth every penny I spent. But if I had to buy it for $60, that would be a whole different story :P

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jasonharris48

If you ask me, Square tries to rush a lot of things to much somewhat. I think they need a lil bit more employees (like another company for example ) and then they could get things going. I think they should (or should've) bought Grin before they closed down so they could have more manpower right there. Young_Charter
I agree, I remember the development hell FFXII went through. The team wasn't as big as Team 1 (so they didn't have the same amount of man power), the director ended up leaving Square due to personal conflicts with the staff.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"]If you ask me, Square tries to rush a lot of things to much somewhat. I think they need a lil bit more employees (like another company for example ) and then they could get things going. I think they should (or should've) bought Grin before they closed down so they could have more manpower right there. jasonharris48

I agree, I remember the development hell FFXII went through. The team wasn't as big as Team 1 (so they didn't have the same amount of man power), the director ended up leaving Square due to personal conflicts with the staff.

Exactly. Plus I remember when Grin was making a FF game in progress. They even shown the beta of a man running threw woods and chocobos everywhere. I think Square were smart trying to my Tecmo, but they need more man power. Then they could get all of the other games out of the way and then make FFVII Re-invent Children lol :P
mushi799

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mushi799
Member since 2006 • 1163 Posts

I paid $50 and it still wasn't worth it. It's the FIRST final fantasy in which I have no desire whatsoever to replay it. Seriously what's the point? You can't pick your own party until the freaking end.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"]If you ask me, Square tries to rush a lot of things to much somewhat. I think they need a lil bit more employees (like another company for example ) and then they could get things going. I think they should (or should've) bought Grin before they closed down so they could have more manpower right there. Young_Charter

Exactly. Plus I remember when Grin was making a FF game in progress. They even shown the beta of a man running threw woods and chocobos everywhere. I think Square were smart trying to my Tecmo, but they need more man power. Then they could get all of the other games out of the way and then make FFVII Re-invent Children lol :P

They were trying to get Tecmo but Tecmo refused and merged with Koei. Square (President Wada) did admit they will try again too.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
It was very disappointing for a Final Fantasy, but still a great game and worth $60 IMO.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"] I agree, I remember the development hell FFXII went through. The team wasn't as big as Team 1 (so they didn't have the same amount of man power), the director ended up leaving Square due to personal conflicts with the staff.

jasonharris48

They were trying to get Tecmo but Tecmo refused and merged with Koei. Square (President Wada) did admit they will try again too.

lol they were better off merging with Tecmo instead of going to Koei...I guarantee you that they'll just try to own both of them lol
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"] Exactly. Plus I remember when Grin was making a FF game in progress. They even shown the beta of a man running threw woods and chocobos everywhere. I think Square were smart trying to my Tecmo, but they need more man power. Then they could get all of the other games out of the way and then make FFVII Re-invent Children lol :PYoung_Charter

lol they were better off merging with Tecmo instead of going to Koei...I guarantee you that they'll just try to own both of them lol

That's what I meant Wada wants Tecmo/ Koei one day.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"] They were trying to get Tecmo but Tecmo refused and merged with Koei. Square (President Wada) did admit they will try again too.

jasonharris48

we are friends now :D and I think he probably will own them. If you think about it, Koei and Tecmo together sales don't match up to SE And you should stop by the LBL sometimes :) it's cool.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"] lol they were better off merging with Tecmo instead of going to Koei...I guarantee you that they'll just try to own both of them lol Young_Charter

we are friends now :D and I think he probably will own them. If you think about it, Koei and Tecmo together sales don't match up to SE And you should stop by the LBL sometimes :) it's cool.

For sure man, BTW I'm going to send you an add on PSN.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

Yeah. Perhaps not exactly what I was expecting, but it was damn well worth the money. I've invested a ton of hours into the game and plan on playing more to achieve my platinum. If the entirety of thegame gave you more freedom like it does in Chapter 11 then it would have been amazing. It's a very good game though and worth full price for sure.

yokofox33
This. There are so many games out there that aren't worth my $60, but this isn't one of them.
reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
any game that has 40-60 hours worth of gameplay, is worth that full $60
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"] That's what I meant Wada wants Tecmo/ Koei one day.

jasonharris48

For sure man, BTW I'm going to send you an add on PSN.

Sure, no problem.
flagpuff1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 flagpuff1
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I played till chapter 10 and than sold it. Made 5 dollars more than what I bought it for. So I would say it was worth it.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Young_Charter
:o so far 50% said yes and 50% said no... lol
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

It was worth it. Problem is people expected too much from it and kept comparing it to other FF games. Every FF game is different in many ways, hence people didnt get what they expected.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Young_Charter

It was worth it. Problem is people expected too much from it and kept comparing it to other FF games. Every FF game is different in many ways, hence people didnt get what they expected.

KamuiFei
People hated XII and I found it hott.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
i voted no. my favorite part of every FF game has been the story, and like i said before, i didnt like the story to FFXIII.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

Young_Charter

I loved FFXII as well. It was one of my favorite FF titles.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="KamuiFei"]

jasonharris48

I loved FFXII as well. It was one of my favorite FF titles.

It was the first FF cast that no one really cared for. People are too picky lol did you notice that Vaan wasn't even on Dissidia ?