Would you recommend buying a PSP? (advice please)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

Pro's? Cons? I am a newbie when it comes to portable gaming and was wondering if most are happy with their investment. I see the price came down on these and I am strongly considering one but I have no idea what the major differences are. The list of games looks pretty good.

Thanks for the help.

Jak1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jak1161
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I would so recomend buying a psp it is totally wicked i would also reccomend buying  monster hunter freedom game and killzone dont buy white psp thow i think they look **** so get black and those screen protecters i wouls try to use any ways hope i was help Jak1161 8) 

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
Hi,

I got my PSP tweo months ago and i've never regretted it.

Pros:

Some really good games,
Multimedia capabillties,
Wireless internet,
Wirelesss multiplayer and ad-hoc mode

Cons:

Battery life can vary,
Speaker quality isn't that great,
A lot of remaked titles.
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 quadraleap

Thanks guys, this is the type of stuff I was hoping to hear! :) This thing might be more fun then I would have imagined.

Does it have an optional A/C adaptor? You can also play this thing online!??!

Also curious about how natural the control pad feels when playing a game like SOCOM. Can you aim well with it? Im sure it is probalby OK for games that require simple movements, but not sure about precision control with shooters.

TheCheat23k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheCheat23k
Member since 2004 • 1240 Posts
The A/C adaptor comes with the PSP...and you can play a decent number of games online.  Some games you can only play with people in the same room as you (Ad-Hoc), while others you can play online with anyone, anywhere (infrastructure).  Games like Killzone, Socom 1 and 2, Syphon Filter, Medal of Honor, Ratchet and Clank, etc can all be played online.  The aiming is also very easy and decently precise.  I actually prefer the aiming in FPS on the PSP over the PS2, as with the PSP you aim with x, circle, triangle, and o...and I just adjust the sensitivity to what I feel is right, and tap the buttons to aim until the crosshairs are where I need them to be...with a little practice, this works great.  With the PS2, I always overshoot what I am aiming at...so PSP actually works better for me.  Overall though, its the best purchase I've ever made...and I'll own the thing until the day I die (and if it breaks...I'll buy another one...and if they stop selling them one day and mine breaks....I would search and search until I find another one)!
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 quadraleap

The A/C adaptor comes with the PSP...and you can play a decent number of games online.  Some games you can only play with people in the same room as you (Ad-Hoc), while others you can play online with anyone, anywhere (infrastructure).  Games like Killzone, Socom 1 and 2, Syphon Filter, Medal of Honor, Ratchet and Clank, etc can all be played online.  The aiming is also very easy and decently precise.  I actually prefer the aiming in FPS on the PSP over the PS2, as with the PSP you aim with x, circle, triangle, and o...and I just adjust the sensitivity to what I feel is right, and tap the buttons to aim until the crosshairs are where I need them to be...with a little practice, this works great.  With the PS2, I always overshoot what I am aiming at...so PSP actually works better for me.  Overall though, its the best purchase I've ever made...and I'll own the thing until the day I die (and if it breaks...I'll buy another one...and if they stop selling them one day and mine breaks....I would search and search until I find another one)!TheCheat23k

Thanks! Very informative. I think Sony owes you commission because I probably will buy one soon. I also have a PS2 and I can relate to the references. I almost bought one today when I decided to browse by the electronic section. ;) Very nice overview - thanks again.

lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts
The PSP is a great Tech item the bad thing about it is Sony lack of game releases to much is put of the PS3
Thread-Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Thread-Thief
Member since 2007 • 855 Posts

Pros:

-Wide screen (takes up 90%.. give or take)

-MEMORY STICK: plays MUSIC-VIDEOS-MOVIES-GAMES-DOWNLOADED DEMOS-stores PICTURES

-UMD..games, movies, music

-INTERNET(free)it would be great if you have your own wireless router.. you can surf, now found out that you can add an INSTANT MESSENGER.. chat it up with your friends

-EXTERNAL SPEAKERS. play your games with or without headphones. great sound either way. 

-ACCESSORIES.. when you first buy your psp.. either buy a STARTER kit or atleast buy a screen protector and a good shield. you can also replace the ANALOG STICK + replace the battery if its bad. there's also many other accessories.. i dont know them all, you could check them out on ebgames.com

-psp is still being updated via FIRMWARE/download 

Cons:

-kind of BULKY -suggestion:wear jeans that have tight pockets(not big pockets that go halfway to your knee), or carry it in a pouch made for the psp that hooks to your hip, but that's even bulkier.

-low sound.. when playing music.. for most songs it is low.. the sound.. sometimes it depends on the music.. but compared to the ipod.. the psp sound is really low.

-screen scratches easily.. well i wouldnt know because i use a screen protector and a shield for the face plate. but the shield shows how many scratches my screen would have if i didnt have it.

-i really cant think of anything else that is bad. 

HAVE FUN!

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

so you expect someone to say NOT to buy a PSP in a PSP Forum?.... obviously everyone will say yes.

The only CON i can see here is the the variation of battery life depending on which game you're playing.... and that's probably a really minor issue for me.

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts

hmmm I have both the PSP and the DS and I like them both, but I definately like the PSP better.   I'm an older gamer and in my opinion the PSP caters to my interests a bit more.   Games like SOCOM, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Final Fantasies, Wipeout Pure.   Though PSP has some more kid oriented games like Ratchet and Clank, Daxter and Loco Roco. 

Think about what console games you like.  Do you like games for the PS2 more or Nintendo like games for the Gamecube and Wii?

If you like the more adult PS2 games, go with the PSP.  If you like more casual/kids/fun Nintendo like games, go with the DS.

Non games related features:   PSP can play videos, mp3s and downloadable demos.   It has built in Wifi (an awesome feature IMO), and the abililty to store your files with memory sticks.   The screen is superior on the PSP to DS (though the new DS lite has improved alot).  PSP also has a built in web browser which is a nice addition too.   You can customize the look and backgrounds for your PSP too, cant do that so much with the DS.  Non game features the PSP wins hands down!

TheCheat23k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheCheat23k
Member since 2004 • 1240 Posts

Ya, I guess I should have mentioned the cons above as well...but too be honest, there aren't many of them.

Worst thing about the PSP is the battery life, but lasting about 6 hours or so is actually quite impressive for how small the battery is and how much the PSP is really doing.  Sometimes you'll get more time, sometimes less.  The battery life has never bothered me personally, but Nintendo does win in that department.

Even though the PSP has a huge screen though, and therefore can break easier than a smaller screen obviously...it is still pretty stable, and I am not afraid to drop the thing at all ;).

The standby mode is awesome though...allowing you to just shut off a game at any point and starting it up hours later if you want at that same exact spot where it was shut off, with nothing lost :)  There is usually no load time when it is started back up as well.

Last annoyance if any is the loading times of course (much longer than the DS), but what do you expect using disks and loading up bigger textures/etc.  I'm sure the loading times annoy some people, but I am completely fine with them.  Game makers have been getting better though, and many games don't take as long too load.

Overall though, don't go buy the system because we tell you you should...buy it because you did the research and because it is what you really want.  I'd rather see someone buy a DS and enjoy that than someone buy a PSP and be disapointed with their purchase.  Asking questions like this will allow you to get a better grasp of what the PSP can really do though :) 

XxR0gu3Go0sexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12 XxR0gu3Go0sexX
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
I'm turned off by the games I have right now... But Hopfully Ratchet and Clanks will be able to hold me over tell FF games start to be released. If you like Final Fantasy games I would say get it, but It not I would try to find a friend that has one and try out some of his games, because the controls can really mess up some of the games if you are not trying to love the game... Hopfully all the Final Fantasy games coming out will make It a lot funner to own a PSP soon.
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 quadraleap

so you expect someone to say NOT to buy a PSP in a PSP Forum?.... obviously everyone will say yes.

The only CON i can see here is the the variation of battery life depending on which game you're playing.... and that's probably a really minor issue for me.

gokuofheaven

Well I'm not going to ask about a PSP in the DS forums and just because someone owns one doesn't mean they like everything about it. ;)

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 quadraleap

Thank you all once again for the very comprehensive information starting my research. (I have to re-read as there is so much info there!) I think the PSP is for me after reading this and checking out the games and features vs other units.

I will definitely get the starter pack with the memory stick and screen protector. The only thing I have to look into is the wireless connection situation as I do not have wireless at home or at work. This little treat might end up being a bit more expensive than I thought, but if I quit smoking it will be a nice reward.

Thanks and Cheers!

Decoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Decoy123
Member since 2004 • 816 Posts
i bought one off a friend, it was great i got metal gear po and i luved it, but the thumb stick was all screwy on that one so i sold it to gamespot.. im bored now.. :( get one.. new tho
Josh1488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Josh1488
Member since 2003 • 249 Posts
Its an amazing piece of hardware, the best ever in portable gaming. However it does lack a bit in actually having games. With the pricing now much lower than what it used to be and a decent library I can recommend it but be warned all that HP comes at the expense of battery life.
jamesjjjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 jamesjjjjj
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts

I love my PSP even though I haven't played much with it lately.  I love to play killzone with others via my wireless router.  I love My Katamari but wish that there was another one even though I could play it forever (OCD).

It is so great to be able to take it with me with movies and my sisters bf gave me some mp4s of my fav sci fi show to be able to put on it with the memory stick.  I just wish you could cram more on there. Is great to take whatever !!!! you want vids pics whatever and go.

Makes flying go by so much faster.

I would highly recommend to buy it.

Now, if someone would tell me what PC to get next!