Would you buy a linear game with no MP or Co-op?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Assuming the game is very good or great.

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Yupe, God of War III is one of my favorite games on the PS3 and it fits the description. Heck, I got the ultimate edition for it and I'm very happy that I did.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
Here is an example of a game as he describes. Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Of course. Valkyria Chronicles, Mirror's Edge, Batman, Uncharted. You get the idea.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Sure. A well done linear game doesn't feel linear at all. And I'm a single player person anyway.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 crimsonman1245

Im very excited about the responses in this thread, i expected alot of people to avoid games without multiplayer.

Im glad there are still people that enjoy a great single player game like me.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Multiplayer is so overrated. I rarely use it because I prefer the single player. I hate when some games put too much emphasis on the multiplayer and pretty much ignore the single player campaign or story like the military shooters and fighting games.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Remember the time last generation when suddenly everything had to have an open world to explore? Around the time when NFS, the greatest series of arcade racers, became bad (Underground 2). That was the first time that I thought that videogames are going downhill. I prefer linear games. Now and then I enjoy a game like The Elder Scrolls but when I hear that a new game is non-linear I'm always hesitant to buy it until I know that the quality is ok. I'm not against MP (I was positively surprised when Assassin's Creed got an MP mode) but I can live without it.
I hate when some games put too much emphasis on the multiplayer and pretty much ignore the single player campaign or story like the military shooters and fighting games.BH14
I can relate to the thought but I strongly disagree with your choice of example genres. Those games have a competitive nature and not focusing on multiplayer would be a waste of potential.
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BH14

I don't like when people start ripping on God of War or Uncharted because it is linear. Some people think all good games need to be open world or have multiplayer. I notice the Batman fans rip on the Uncharted fans because of open world. I think the next God of War will have multiplayer. I wouldn't mind seeing co-op in God of War but I hope they don't do a multiplayer where there are a ton of Kratos characters running around and swinging their blades at each other.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BH14

I can relate to the thought but I strongly disagree with your choice of example genres. Those games have a competitive nature and not focusing on multiplayer would be a waste of potential.Reptylus

I understand that they should and need multiplayer but lot of games like those genre almost completely ignore the single player. MK did a great job on both sides. Soul Calibur IV had a ridiculously short single player. I felt like I just started the game and the ending credits were rolling.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

I have and well continue to do so. Shadows of the Damned, No More Heroes, BioShock, Vanquish, Bayonetta, the list goes on.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Multiplayer isn't a selling point for me nowadays. But if the single player is on the short side and linear, I'll likely rent it or wait until the price drops. I enjoy open ended games more, and MP isn't even a factor when it comes to games like that.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Absolutely, multiplayer only works for certain game, it's not a necessity for every single game.

csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

Mass Effect 1+2 were fantastic...God of War series were great...Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur are really awesome aswell. Devil May Cry series, Resident Evil 4, a bunch of Mario games....Bioshock....Deus Ex HR...Fallout 3 and NV, Dead Space, Half Life 1 + 2...there are so many great and amazing SP games out there that really show the creativity of the game developers...it pushes their skills to the max I feel (unlike the modern warfare games...yes I'm looking at you CoD)

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Definitely. It's annoying how linear seems to now be associated with something being bad. I know games like Dead Space, Chronicles of Riddick, Bioshock 1 and 2, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and Uncharted 2 are all great games and linear. As for MP, I listed U2 for linearity, but I didn't even touch the MP until I beat the game twice, so if it didn't have it I wouldn't feel like the game wasn't worth it. Then there's Bioshock 2 and Riddick, which both of MP, but it's kind of not good in either of them. Then again, I only play MP in a select few games, which all I can think of right now are BF3 and Madden for competetive MP and Borderlands and Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon for co-op.

So yes, I would and do buy games that are linear and have no co-op.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Yes, I would and I do.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I dislike most MP, and really dislike most co-op. So, in a HEARTBEAT.

:lol:

Honestly, I give props to a game these days that has none of those things.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
yes...i have bought plenty of them....and they are just as good as open world non linear games. - uncharted - god of war series -dead space -heavenly sword -heavy rain -vanquish etc...etc...
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

if its good, ill buy anything

ra84ma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ra84ma
Member since 2012 • 159 Posts

Ehhhh YES! i usually buy games that say SINGLE PLAYER on the back... im not a fan of going online and play multiplayer

and also i have some "special" games jsut to play with some friend or someone... funny, easy games...

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Yes, and I don't care if it has MP or not as long as it's good.
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Yes, I have loads in my collection, multiplayer has taken over the game industry and many game developers don't put any effort into the single player *cough* Activi$ion *cough*.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Of course. Single player games are the reason I play games. Should the day ever come that single player games go away, that's when I stop gaming.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#25 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Yep...I just picked up the DMC HD collection and I'm having a blast. It bought back good memories of last-gen when the single player experience was what gaming was all about.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It depends... If it's linear and pretty much just beating the game without much to look for or doesn't have some kind of high score system, it's not worth it.

Linear games that have been worth it this gen on PS3 are.

-Devil May Cry 4

-Devil May Cry HD Collection

-Batman Arkham Asylum

-Batman Arkham City (INSANE amount of content)

-Rayman Origins (I guess there's multiplayer, but I never really used it)

These are actually THE most worth thr money games I bought for the system

FriendlyFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FriendlyFalcon
Member since 2011 • 191 Posts

i think op means very on rails games like the campaign for a call of duty game. imagine if the campaign was all that it came with.

there are also linear games that are very "off rails"like deus ex: human revolution, batman arkham asylum, metal gear solid 4, demons souls, the witcher 2. i would definitely not buy it if it was just a COD style campaign.

FriendlyFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FriendlyFalcon
Member since 2011 • 191 Posts

It depends... If it's linear and pretty much just beating the game without much to look for or doesn't have some kind of high score system, it's not worth it.

Linear games that have been worth it this gen on PS3 are.

-Devil May Cry 4

-Devil May Cry HD Collection

-Batman Arkham Asylum

-Batman Arkham City (INSANE amount of content)

-Rayman Origins (I guess there's multiplayer, but I never really used it)

These are actually THE most worth thr money games I bought for the system

Pikminmaniac
i dont know if i would consider arkham city linear
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Like the first Assassins Creed game. I really had fun with it.
Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

crimsonman1245

Yes, it would help if the game was great but that has many meanigs to many peopel Great to me is

• Great Interaction with charters or and enviornment
  • Great AI
  • Great Story
  • Good or great physics.

If the game has these atributes then I would get it without co-op or MP

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#31 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Seeing as co-op and MP are wasted on me, yes I would buy a linear game that was great.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

Hell noez! Linear games are a blight on video gaming. They cut down on replay value, content, exploration and options. Linear games ruin the video game industry.

xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

I bought Uncharted day one. Short, single-player, linear game - and I loved it! Played through maybe 5 times now over the years, so I'd say it's worth it. Usually I do wait for a price drop though, but not always.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

It would have to be worth my money in terms of quality and replay value. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bit linear, but its long, has a few little additions to get you to replay it, and is just a generally amazing game. Uncharted 2 is also good enough that even without the amazing multiplayer and co-op it would easily warrant a full price purchase (though at the time, MP and co-op are what really convinced me to get it day one).

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#35 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

crimsonman1245
Nope, I used to in the PS2 days but no way now.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
considering multiplayer is garbage in anythign but a shooter or a fighter typically hell yes, the majority of the games i own/buy are single player. MP is over rated and needs to stop being added to so many games that don't need it, Bioshock 2 and Assassins Creed are probably the most prevalant examples of useless MP.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

I don't typically like games that are too linear so it depends. Also I almost never buy anything right when it is released. There have only been a handful of exceptions for me. I don't typically have the money so...

Anyways, if it is a good game then sure I would buy it. I don't care much for MP really.

MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts

Yes. In fact, it's almost the only type of game I will buy. Online gameplay is ruining the gaming industry. With the few exceptions of games like "Journey." Where an online co-op experience is actually fun.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#39 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I feel sorry for anyone who said no. I play games only for single player, and couldn't care less if it had no multiplayer or co-op.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Venom_Raptor

Hell noez! Linear games are a blight on video gaming. They cut down on replay value, content, exploration and options. Linear games ruin the video game industry.

soundcellx

What!?!

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

Venom_Raptor

What!?!

Linear gameplay is very restrictive. Hell, look at Final Fantasy XIII, and it's one of the worst games ever made, not to mention that there's no options or exploration in the game and you can't really do anything in the game, like you can with traditional JRPGs.

Also, take the Uncharted series for example. Drake is an explorer, yet you do not explore in the game. That is pretty f'ed up when devs make a game about exploration, yet there's no exploration in the game. How deceptive. And since the games are linear and scripted, you know what will happen in the game every time, since there's only 1 way you can play it, especially since there's only 1 way to go.

linearness kills the exploration, and that casualizes and streamlines a game and it takes away the control of the player. That is not good.

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Azzurri22
Member since 2011 • 168 Posts

I generally only play FPS games online and will definitely pick up a highly rated single player game, linear or not. I find many open world games tend to lose focus and you can end up wondering around doing repetitive sub missions for the most part.

This, for me, was apparent in InFamous which, although I enjoyed it generally, went a little flat towards the end and I began to lose interest. It could have done with being tighter and more focused for me.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

of course, I think Mirror's Edge is an awesome game for example

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Venom_Raptor

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

What!?!

Linear gameplay is very restrictive. Hell, look at Final Fantasy XIII, and it's one of the worst games ever made, not to mention that there's no options or exploration in the game and you can't really do anything in the game, like you can with traditional JRPGs.

Also, take the Uncharted series for example. Drake is an explorer, yet you do not explore in the game. That is pretty f'ed up when devs make a game about exploration, yet there's no exploration in the game. How deceptive. And since the games are linear and scripted, you know what will happen in the game every time, since there's only 1 way you can play it, especially since there's only 1 way to go.

linearness kills the exploration, and that casualizes and streamlines a game and it takes away the control of the player. That is not good.

I couldn't disagree more, sucks to feel that way...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i bought final fantasy 13 so yea. linear games are no problem as long as its a good game

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Hmm that's an interesting question because I prefer SP games even if they have no co-op/MP but 'linear' changes things. Games like Heavenly Sword and Enslaved make me wish every game had online play because these titles are offensive to the SP only genre. They're like titles to wean kids onto real videogames. But on the other hand games like Godhand, Metal Gear Solid series, Valkyria Chronicles though being linear have plenty of depth in their gameplay. And if more SP experiences like these than I have no issue with lack of MP and co-op.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 crimsonman1245

Hmm that's an interesting question because I prefer SP games even if they have no co-op/MP but 'linear' changes things. Games like Heavenly Sword and Enslaved make me wish every game had online play because these titles are offensive to the SP only genre. They're like titles to wean kids onto real videogames. But on the other hand games like Godhand, Metal Gear Solid series, Valkyria Chronicles though being linear have plenty of depth in their gameplay. And if more SP experiences like these than I have no issue with lack of MP and co-op.

Swift_Boss_A

Dude, you gotta let the DmC hate go lol.

TheIpodBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 TheIpodBoy
Member since 2010 • 290 Posts

If I think it's good, it would be sold out knowing my luck, but yeah, I suppose I would.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

What!?!

Just to butt in here, I think you're confusing linear for lack of content. RE4 is a very linear game....it has the most replay value I've ever seen in a game, same with RE5. There's plenty of "linear" games that have fantastic gameplay, even more so that more open games because those open games have to account for more things. And when you have to account for more things, you have to find the lowest common denominator that won't break the game. Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games, it has a huge open world with tons to explore....I'll admit the gameplay isn't the best, especially if you don't use VATS for every single fight in that game. I love open world games and I love having options in games but I understand from a design perspective that certain games have to be linear. Also, this thing about the lack of exploration "casualizing" games is a load of crap. This is what you're saying: Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, Vanquish and Metal Gear Solid are casual games. Does that sound right?

Also, FF13 is not one of the worst games ever, I'd have to accuse you of hyperbole there. It definitely has pacing issues and design oversights but the music, the gameplay, the graphical fidelity and overall production value are all top notch. Certainly a game with such qualities is not one of the worst games ever. As well, Nathan Drake isn't an explorer, he's a treasure hunter, a thief. He follows a map and puts together clues like Indiana Jones. So, it stands to reason why the Uncharted games are linear. They're also trying to simulate a cinematic experience which no game has come as close to as Uncharted(except MGS).

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
Definitely. My favorite games dont have any form of MP.