Worth it to buy a Ps3 this late in the generation?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxchadxxchad
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

I own a 360, but I have been dying to play Ni No Kuni and a load of other Ps3 exclusives like Infamous series, Uncharted, God of War 3 and Ascension, and a bunch of others. But I know that the new Xbox is most likely releasing in November and the Ps4 on its way next spring, I'm questioning if it would be worth the 300 dollars to buy one so late. I am thinking long and hard if I should buy the 500gb white Ps3 that comes out tomorrow or save the money for next gen. What do you think, worth it or not?

Nophoria88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Nophoria88
Member since 2010 • 410 Posts
If I hadn't bought mine a year ago, I'd still buy one today, it's an excellent console. I don't think very highly of the 360 after owning a PS3 and Ni No Kuni is worth it alone, it's amazing.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
If I hadn't bought mine a year ago, I'd still buy one today, it's an excellent console. I don't think very highly of the 360 after owning a PS3 and Ni No Kuni is worth it alone, it's amazing.Nophoria88
+1 playing Ni No Kuni right now its awesome. There is plenty of games to get Chad. Tales of Graces F, MGS4, GT5, Journey......Uncharted games.....Its definitely worth it.
xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xxchadxxchad

[QUOTE="Nophoria88"]If I hadn't bought mine a year ago, I'd still buy one today, it's an excellent console. I don't think very highly of the 360 after owning a PS3 and Ni No Kuni is worth it alone, it's amazing.AdamPA1006
+1 playing Ni No Kuni right now its awesome. There is plenty of games to get Chad. Tales of Graces F, MGS4, GT5, Journey......Uncharted games.....Its definitely worth it.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'm picking up one tomorrow with Ni No Kuni! :D

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I think it's worth it. Just don't be one those people who get a console this many years in then complains about the new consoles release lol.
xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxchadxxchad

I think it's worth it. Just don't be one those people who get a console this many years in then complains about the new consoles release lol. AutoPilotOn

Haha no. I probably won't be buying the next Xbox and might wait a few months after the Ps4 launch for more content to be released.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Basically it'd be alot of money for a handful of games. If you can afford it, it's worth it though. I highly recommend the Uncharted trilogy, the God of War games, Heavy Rain, and Ni no Kuni. Those would keep you in gaming bliss for quite a while.

xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xxchadxxchad

Basically it'd be alot of money for a handful of games. If you can afford it, it's worth it though. I highly recommend the Uncharted trilogy, the God of War games, Heavy Rain, and Ni no Kuni. Those would keep you in gaming bliss for quite a while.

DaRq_MiNoS

I totally forgot about Heavy Rain. I probably can't buy all of these at once but within the next few months I should be able to pick up most of them.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

DaRq_MiNoS
It's quite a bit more than a handful of games. I'd say definitely do it especially if you're not looking to get a next-gen console immediately. Hell we don't even know if the next gen consoles will be Backwards Compatible.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#10 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I'd say definitely.

I see a trend where the big companies like to make "slim" versions halfway through their lifespan. The thing is, the slim models are more reliable, cheaper, and somtimes comes with 1 or 2 games. Not to mention the launch/older games will be a lot cheaper by the time "slims" arrive. I would buy a ps3 160gb slim right now with Ni No Kuni, Infamous collection bundle, Valkyria Chronicles, Darksiders 1 & 2, Killzone collection. When I bought my ps3 slim it came with GT5 extended version and all 3 Sly Cooper download voucher for $250. Just think, free online services.

Play some good ps3 games while you wait for the slim model of next gen. You will know by then which console will have better games/services too. That's the way I'm planning on going into next gen.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
go and buy ps3 have awesome library of exclusives games
mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts
This is the best time to buy one imo. All the games you could possibly want are there available, the console itself is at an affordable price now and most probably your friends will also have a PS3 by now. All the win!
Mar_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mar_Sama
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts

Like the previous Gamers say it is only going to bring you good. You have a long journey before you with tons of great adventures that actually could keep you entertained over the whole new Generation to the next one with (let's hope it!) PS5 and XBOX OVER 9000!, so it's a lot of good in it.
PLUS:
Buying Late means buying cheap and the newest. so big HDD and slim
Games are cheaper when you want to play the good Classics like Warhawk,Heavenly Sword,GOWIII and others
Gadgets like the Move and PSEye will be cheaper
Games are up to date, with lots of DLC's, Game of the Year Editions and more+lots of players in Multi that i hope wont go away quickly.
Buying late now and playing will maybe help you buy late later in the next gen, so you will always play for cheap and up to date :)

MINUS:
The only real one i think is losing alot chances to play multiplayer because of the players switching to PS4,XBOX720 and maybe a lack of support from sony in the future.
I don't know what will happen with PSN when the PS4 arrives. Will they support 2 PSN's or just one for PS4,PS3,Vita/PSP? I don't know.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I learned about this early on when I couldn't keep up with everyone else and started having a backlog. I was playing previous generation titles while everyone was "beta-testing" the next-gen consoles. After about a year or so I finally would buy myself a PS3. So all I can say really is, this is probably the best time for you to pick one up considering the bundles they have with Infamous and Uncharted. Forget about the next-gen and enjoy what's available now.
Niner0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Niner0
Member since 2005 • 1630 Posts
This is the best time to buy one imo. All the games you could possibly want are there available, the console itself is at an affordable price now and most probably your friends will also have a PS3 by now. All the win!mav_destroyer
I almost completely agree (I disagree with the fact that all the games one could possibly want are available, The Last of Us, The Last Guardian, GoW 4, Beyond: Two Souls etc etc have yet to be released :D). I bought a PS3 a month before Christmas and Uncharted 1-3, Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain, inFamous 1-2, GoW: Saga and surely some games that I are forgetting, and I've had a blast so far. The best part is, most games are so cheap, I get 3 or 4 great PS3 games for the price of one newly released. Oh, and I've gotten like 10 full games through PS+, now THAT was a good deal.
jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

DaRq_MiNoS

i just picked up a ps3 a few weeks ago, i came across a returned black friday deal, got a 250 gig new ps3 with uncharted 1/2 and infamous 1/2 for 140$. couldn't pass up! between psn store deals and cheap ps3 exclusives i havent played ive spent maybe 250 and have like 12 games now....

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

There are more than handful of games on PS3

You have a lot to pick from, even if you are just getting it for the exclusives.

You have

The Uncharted Trilogy

The Motorstorm Trilogy

The Resistance Trilogy

The God of War games

The Ratchet and Clank games

Valkyria Chronicles

The Disgaea games

The Infamous titles

The Yakuza games

3D Dot Game Heroes

The Sly Cooper games

Tales of Graces F

Warhawk

Folklore

Starhawk

Twisted Metal

Wipeout HD

Demon's Souls

The Socom games

The Little Big Planet games

MLB The Show (if you are into baseball)

The Killzone Trilogy

Heavy Rain

Modnation Racers

PlayStation All Stars

Ni No Kuni

upcoming games

The Last of Us

Tales of Xillia

Sly 4

Beyond: Two Souls

Puppeteer

PSN titles

Super Stardust

Shatter

Rochard

Magic Orbz

Sidway New York

Explodemon

The Last Guy

Dead Nation

Flower

Journey

The Unfinished Swan

Dyad

Pixel Junk Monsters

Pixel Junk Eden

Pixel Junk Shooter 1 and 2

Fat Princess

The list goes on. Not all of those games are must haves, but they are worth at least one playthrough.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
If it were me I'd wait until what E3 announcements there are. PS4 might be worth the wait. If not, then you've only waited several more months. It's not like they're going to stop selling them any time soon.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14501 Posts

Hard to say knowing that the PS4 is likely just around the corner but not knowing if it's BC (and what the cost will be for older games), I would go ahead. Worst comes to worst you have a fairly good multimedia server that plays Blu-rays for $199 (if you shop around).

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

It not a bad time in the sense that right now PS3 is the most current console and has huge library of great games. It is bad in sense that if the new PS4 drops late this year for $350-$399 and has backwards compatiblility you made bad decision. But you can always sell your PS3 if that happens so go for it.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Ni No Kuni in itself is a rather meaty game to begin with so that'sa plus. I'd also highly recommend the inFAMOUS games as they are Sony's best offerings this generation. Personally though, I find I use my PS3 for multiplats more than anything. What kind of games did you enjoy the most on your 360?

b1ohazardzon3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 b1ohazardzon3
Member since 2010 • 82 Posts

Definitely worth,PS4 will not be in sale before 2014.Then you can sell your PS3 when you want :)

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

If you're not ashamed to buy "old" games like Uncharted 1-3, Borderlands, Bioshock, Kingdoms of Amalur, Little big planet, GT5, MGS4, Demon/dark souls ...most you can find quite cheap, then go!

GG-EvdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GG-EvdK
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I got the PS3 sept 2012. I bought the god of war saga and have completed god of war 1 & 2 and the first PSP version. I'm working on Ghost of Sparta right now. After this I will get Ni no Kuni. Then complete the GoW saga with GoW 3. After that I'll buy the uncharted trilogy.... You get my point, there is lots of good games which could last you till mid 2014. PS: I was in the same situation as you, till okt - nov I still played my XboX due to Borderlands. IMO it's best to have all the consoles anyway.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Maybe... )
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Plus don't forget Playstation 3 will be supported long after the PS4 is launched. The PS1,and PS2 lasted 6 years after the 5th and 6th geneartion ended. So with PS3 you will plenty of time to catch those games you missed. Even when the PS4 is on store shelves.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrongBlackVine

Plus don't forget Playstation 3 will be supported long after the PS4 is launched. The PS1,and PS2 lasted 6 years after the 5th and 6th geneartion ended. So with PS3 you will plenty of time to catch those games you missed. Even when the PS4 is on store shelves.

Megavideogamer

It will be supported, but be a huge step down. Would you rather have the PS4 or PS3 version of Uncharted 4?

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

YES. BUY ONE. For several reasons:

1- It's affordable. Who knows how expensive the PS4 is going to be when it releases? Why not get a bundle right now for a great price?

2- Launch games vs. current games. What if the PS4 launch games aren't very good? Most likely since it's a new system, they probably won't be AS good as the current titles that are now being released (and going to be released) for the PS3.

3- PS3 still very strong. Not only are a bunch of the exclusives VERY affordable now, but there are a crop of great games STILL being released. Games I'm looking forward to now are The Last of Us and The Last Guardian.

People keep thinking that they should wait because somehow the PS3 being this old somehow makes it worse or inferior, when in fact, in terms of software and updates, the system is the strongest it's ever been since its release. Sure there are some things you can skip if you'd like (like the PS Move, although there are fun games and it's affordable), but overall, it's still a great idea to get one.

The only reason I'd say to not get a ps3 now is if you're a console launch day buyer, and WILL get a PS4 at launch, THEN granted *IF* there is full backwards compatibility, you will have to wait to play all these great PS3 exclusives until the release of the PS4. But then again, you don't know what the story will be with backwards compatibility. Nor do you know the exact release date of the PS4. Plus you don't know if you'll get hit by a bus tomorrow, lol.

Listen, either you wait a year or more with all these uncertainties OR you can get a FANTASTIC affordable system (the best right now, as I'm a total Sony fan), and start playing all these great exclusives NOW. Lots of people ask this question, and i always give them the same answer. heck, people were asking this question a YEAR ago. I wonder if any of these people are still twidling their thumbs consoleless still waiting for the PS4. No, I bet they all got a ps3 and are enjoying it as I type.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
There already had been many fantastic and good advices that should give you more then enough reasons to pick the console. :-) On the other hand you still have excellent blu-ray player and streaming multimedia machine even after PS4 is released. Go pick one up, great exclusives on cheap price point, and more to look forward to in 2013.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Why would late in a gen be a bad time? Its one of the better time as the library has had time to really grow and older games are selling for discounted prices online. If anything it comes down to do you have the time,money, and desire to invest in another system to play games on. I personally have so many games to play on PC I don't really play on my ps3 all that much I would be perfectly happy with just the PC but I got enough use out if it to make it worth it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes its worth it

jesse10101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jesse10101
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Id get one just for the playstation plus. Go ahead now and start building your gaming library through that as im sure PS4 will support everything on the PSN.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#34 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I own a 360, but I have been dying to play Ni No Kuni and a load of other Ps3 exclusives like Infamous series, Uncharted, God of War 3 and Ascension, and a bunch of others. But I know that the new Xbox is most likely releasing in November and the Ps4 on its way next spring, I'm questioning if it would be worth the 300 dollars to buy one so late. I am thinking long and hard if I should buy the 500gb white Ps3 that comes out tomorrow or save the money for next gen. What do you think, worth it or not?

xxchadxxchad
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

xxchadxxchad

I totally forgot about Heavy Rain. I probably can't buy all of these at once but within the next few months I should be able to pick up most of them.

If you can find it, Valkyria Chronicles is one of my favorite PS3 games.
EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts

It's never too late to buy a PS3. That's why Sony is bringing out the white, red and blue super slim (500 GB) this week.  Get it, if not just for Ni No Kuni alone

coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolhady13
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

xxchadxxchad
definitely get one . even if next gen consoles were released this year . you will still be amazed by games like uncharted series and gow 3 . get one but you must must buy these games with it . uncharted series , god of war 3 , MGS 4 ,heavy rain, . and remember to get god of war ascension in march and the last of us in may
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaRq_MiNoS

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

StrongBlackVine

It will be supported, but be a huge step down. Would you rather have the PS4 or PS3 version of Uncharted 4?

Not sure I'd want to play either version of Uncharted 4 seeing as it's not going to be made by the same people. I will definitely be waiting for the reviews on that one.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#39 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Absolutely, so many awesome exclusives to play.

Curzad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Curzad
Member since 2008 • 486 Posts

Just got the 250gb with Uncharted 3 about 5 days ago. Only problem I'm having is that Uncharted 3 won't load, just a spinning ring. The other two games I have, Farcry 3 and Ni No Kuni work fine. Weird but if I play another game for a while then put in Uncharted 3 it works. So I'm thinking it's the game and not the system. Praying it's not the system :)

new_gamer244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 new_gamer244
Member since 2011 • 338 Posts

NO...save the money for ps4/xbox 720. it's just aright the corner

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StrongBlackVine

It's never too late to buy a PS3. That's why Sony is bringing out the white, red and blue super slim (500 GB) this week.  Get it, if not just for Ni No Kuni alone

EastMagi

LOL that game isn't close to being a system seller.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

DaRq_MiNoS

Not sure I'd want to play either version of Uncharted 4 seeing as it's not going to be made by the same people. I will definitely be waiting for the reviews on that one.

You know what I meant. You wouldn't want the PS3 version of a game if the PS4 version is available.

Curzad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Curzad
Member since 2008 • 486 Posts
I think "The Last Of Us" could be a system seller. But I will admit my daughters and friends have been playing the heck out of the Ni No thing. I kind of want to play it but I need to make sure no one is around. Kind of like when I got caught playing Viva Pinata. My friends made fun of me for a week lol.
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaRq_MiNoS
I think "The Last Of Us" could be a system seller. But I will admit my daughters and friends have been playing the heck out of the Ni No thing. I kind of want to play it but I need to make sure no one is around. Kind of like when I got caught playing Viva Pinata. My friends made fun of me for a week lol.Curzad
Hey man, I'm 40 and I've been playing the heck out of the Ni no Kuni thing :) It's enough fun that you won't care what anybody thinks of you. I like the "Keep on the Borderlands" icon -- it takes me back many years lol.
Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#46 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts

Wait a year and it'll be $150 because the new PS4 is coming out this holiday season.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StrongBlackVine

Wait a year and it'll be $150 because the new PS4 is coming out this holiday season.

masterpinky2000

No he should buy it now, play all the games he missed out on and then sell it for cash towards the PS4. Since he already has a 360 he had access to the best versions of most multiplats already so I doubt he has ton of games on his wishlist that are exclusive to Sony. And I got a brand new 160GM PS Slim off Ebay for about $230 last Christmas so where are you getting your prices?

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I do not see how the PS4 supposedly coming out has anything to do with buying a PS3.  We do not know how launch is going to be.  Most launches are not that great to begin with.  If backwards compatability comes in the PS4, it probably will run games 100% perfectly.  I doubt that the BC for PS4 will be able to run PS3 games from discs.  Sony has been stressing cloud saves, and I believe that Gaikai will play heavily into playing PS3 games.  The poster should get a PS3 for PS3 games, and get a PS4 to play PS4 games.  

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Weenski
Member since 2011 • 990 Posts

I'm questioning if it would be worth the 300 dollars to buy one so late. I am thinking long and hard if I should buy the 500gb white Ps3 that comes out tomorrow or save the money for next gen. What do you think, worth it or not?

xxchadxxchad
Definately. There are loads of great games, especially exclusives which are worth getting a PS3 for. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that it's worth buying one just to play UNCHARTED 2! :)
Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#50 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

Honestly the main thing is this. Is the money worth it to play the games now instead of in 9 or 10 months IF the PS4 is backwards compatable. If it is to you and you can affordit then welcome to the club :) If not then sit it out.