Wiill we ever say "How did I think that those graphics were good?"; in

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rsoxguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 rsoxguy12
Member since 2007 • 1602 Posts

**Subject line got cut off: in the future.

I'm sure everybody has looked back at one of their old consoles and asked themselves how they thought those grpahics were amazing. I remember playing Zelda: OoT when I was younger and thinking it was the best looking game ever to be made.

But honestly with these next gen platforms, can it get any better? How can they vastly improve beyond what we have now? Will we ever look back at games like MGS4, Uncharted, or God of War 3 and think to ourselves that those were bad graphics. Some of you may say "Well that's what we thought back then with our ps2". Yes, this is true, but I can't even imagine how visuals would improve from what they are today. I think we are almost at the pinnacle of graphics....and they may stay like this for years to come.

What do you think? Can graphics improve to a level unimaginable?

theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
I think we are, I looked back on some of my old games and was shocked at how bad some were. But there isn't really that much room for imporvment.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

I DOUBT IT.

Like I've said before, we're getting pretty damn near close to photorealism, which is great, but it's soooooooooooo borrrrrring.

We need more cel-shaded games.

More fun; flashy. Like Okami.

I have a feeling that someone is going to do soemthing this gen that will completely revolutionize the industry, and I have a feeling the PS3 will play a big role.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
playing crash bandicoot and mgs, thought those games looked awesome.
idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
I have a feeling one day it would be virtual reality, like they put you in a game like of CoD, and you actually hold the gun and shoot them. I think you would put a helmet on and go inside a pod an you play the game inside there, to simulate running you run in place I guess. I just hope they actually don't make you feel pain. Getting shot wouldn't be fun. I would laugh my a** off if they made it so if you die in the game you die in real life. Dang, can't wait until that gaming era.
lgottagoPP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lgottagoPP
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts

Soon there will be a limit to graphics. The limit might be photorealism or up to a really good point, we won't know until a ultimate engine is made.

And about thinking that old games had good graphics back then, I thought the same. I thought tetris had the best graphics and now I laugh at myself about it :)

dylanmcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 dylanmcc
Member since 2008 • 2512 Posts
Lol! I sometimes think of that!
I was thinking "will we ever look back at MGS4 or something and say the graphics are crap?" but in reality, we wont, as graphics are pretty much at the pinicle of what they can reach.
gera34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gera34
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

I DOUBT IT.

Like I've said before, we're getting pretty damn near close to photorealism, which is great, but it's soooooooooooo borrrrrring.

I have a feeling that someone is going to do soemthing this gen that will completely revolutionize the industry, and I have a feeling the PS3 will play a big role.

NO!!! the cel shaded like okami and windwaker and now prince of P. are to bad and horrible and a way to s%&/ a game
ZacherWol19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZacherWol19
Member since 2007 • 1336 Posts
Im sure within 5-10 years theyll reached its ending
rsoxguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rsoxguy12
Member since 2007 • 1602 Posts
bump.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

I DOUBT IT.

gera34

NO!!! the cel shaded like okami and windwaker and now prince of P. are to bad and horrible and a way to s%&/ a game

How? I find cel-shaded games to be beautiful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

It can get better.

It can be Mortal Kombat better. It had REAL PEOPLE. Thats how awesome it was. But games like that are criticized because the real people thing sucks to some. We will always want are games to not be fully realistic but just on the brink

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

ughh, i hate cel-shaded games with a passion

and no i dont think console graphics has reached its limit...when games look like Crysis maybe then

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

and no i dont think console graphics has reached its limit...when games look like Crysis maybe then

LP4EVA2005
Isnt Street Fighter 4 cell shaded?
Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

Graphics will never reach their limit. I know this sounds crazy, but I remember asking myself this same question when Tony Hawk 3 came out. They looked so real at the time, and I didn't think they could get any better. But, what do you know? New games came out and (obviously) surpassed the graphics for that time.

As for me saying "How did I think those were good graphics?" No, I do not think this, I know why I thought they were great at the time, and graphics don't get worse I think. They get surpassed with age, but I can clearly see why MGS looked so good, or why the lighting in splinter cell made my jaw drop.

Games will keep looking better and better. We will get to photo-realism, and virtual reality, yea, but games will continue past that. "Well how can something look better than real?" It will probably have to do with things becoming more artistic than just realistic. Cel-shading? Well, not exactly, but that is kind of what I mean. Certain games will either be trying to look realistic, or trying to be stylistic. Last gen you play say, MGS3 and think, Damn this looks real, and then you go and play Okami, and think, Wow this is beautiful; but which one has better graphics? It will continue like this but be exaggerated immensely in both directions; artistic or realistic.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]

Isnt Street Fighter 4 cell shaded?

LOL, u got me there..yea but thats where i make an exception =P
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
Yes. Because Crysis can be improved, and it already makes those other games look outdated.
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
we are def near the pinnacle
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts
Graphics will get better. Why wouldn't they? Remember when the first weapon appeared in FFVII. That looked amazing and still looks amazing and that was over ten years ago. If developer's really try they can make any thing look like it belongs in the next gen, but they aren't in the short film business. They need to create full games so they have to spread out the resources to make an overall game look good for its time.
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
Besides, things like physics, lighting, weather, animation, etc. can all be improved as well.
Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
it will get better, much better. maybe too better? 0.o
cheezy909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 cheezy909
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts
Graphics can be aproved upon yes. But i think the most important thing for improvements to be made on is things like physics, lighting, ect. Those things and making games have smaller load times and less lag are what i am looking forward 2 most.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

You can't exactly think that though. Because the graphics were good for it's time. Maybe if time froze and it's been 1997 for 11 years, then I guess you could think that. That's like saying "I can't believe people used paper and the postal service for mail" before 1996.

Ofcoarse it's going to change. 100 years from now, we'll probably have actual interactive programs in a room like how they have it on Star Trek.

gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
I think it will be more like "How did I think that these games were so innovative and on the cutting edge?"
Avatar image for mistergamer2006
mistergamer2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mistergamer2006
Member since 2006 • 988 Posts

awesome thread TC.

yah i believe graphics will get better, and not only graphics though, but everything! games woud not be 3D anymore, it would be a whole new dimention, hard core games would actually have to by gaming stations to play, and TVs would not be enough, but dome screens would have to be used, or even virtual reality head sets. everything would be at an insane level. i think gaming still has a long way to go befor it hits the pinnacle. in my Design Technology class, we learn about something called the design cycle. which basically means what we have right now is technology that we actually had about 3 years ago. so basically we are playing ps3 right now, when in fact the ps4 level of everything is already possible or even in production.

so yes, i believe tht gaming will only get alot better

haha i was looking back at my gaming days when i used to play duck hunt! haha! and i rmbr braggin to my friends how briliant the graphics were! or when i used to play the original pokemon blue! haha! and i thought the graphics were amazing :D

Sheps21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sheps21
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

I have a feeling one day it would be virtual reality, like they put you in a game like of CoD, and you actually hold the gun and shoot them. I think you would put a helmet on and go inside a pod an you play the game inside there, to simulate running you run in place I guess. I just hope they actually don't make you feel pain. Getting shot wouldn't be fun. I would laugh my a** off if they made it so if you die in the game you die in real life. Dang, can't wait until that gaming era. idk761

You could run into some serious ethical issues with virtual reality war games.

luludooobee111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 luludooobee111
Member since 2005 • 1427 Posts
If you think about it were not even close, yes from a distance games like metal gear look great, but if you get close up you can see where it needs a lot of improvement. There are details all over the games that needs imrpovement on graphics
SwArM15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SwArM15
Member since 2003 • 114 Posts

are graphics at their pinnacle??

not even close..

playing nintendo back in the day,
i would have never even imagined a game such as MGS4
just mind blowing how quickly technology progresses

i mean, i believe that someday games will let us experience things that we cant even experience in reality...

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="idk761"]I have a feeling one day it would be virtual reality, like they put you in a game like of CoD, and you actually hold the gun and shoot them. I think you would put a helmet on and go inside a pod an you play the game inside there, to simulate running you run in place I guess. I just hope they actually don't make you feel pain. Getting shot wouldn't be fun. I would laugh my a** off if they made it so if you die in the game you die in real life. Dang, can't wait until that gaming era. Sheps21

Technically, the war games today are just like training simulators. It's not all that different from what the military uses.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
IMO a good looking game will forever look good.
Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts
think about it when you played your nintendo 64 and playstation 1. That was not to long ago. It will get better until it looks like a movie and maybe virtual reality one day.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts
I've been having the same thoughts. I mean, imagine playing a game 10 years from now and looking back at games like MGS4 or GoW2 and saying that the graphics are bad.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 I_pWnzz_YoU
IMO a good looking game will forever look good.skp_16
Does that make sense?
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zidaneski

[QUOTE="skp_16"]IMO a good looking game will forever look good.I_pWnzz_YoU
Does that make sense?

There are graphics and then theres art.

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts
[QUOTE="gera34"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

I DOUBT IT.

craigalan23

How? I find cel-shaded games to be beautiful.

I agree and they hold up really well, jet set radio for the DC still looks good today and I believe that was the first cell shaded game. some of the games on the snes also still look great (super mario world). It really depends on how they do the graphics. games like MGS4, GOW2, Resistance, even Killzone 2 will eventually look dated just like how all the ps1 FF look dated now.
Avatar image for mistergamer2006
mistergamer2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mistergamer2006
Member since 2006 • 988 Posts

I've been having the same thoughts. I mean, imagine playing a game 10 years from now and looking back at games like MGS4 or GoW2 and saying that the graphics are bad.I_pWnzz_YoU

*gasps* *gapes*

haha dude imgine tht! insane!

Dankodefense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 Dankodefense
Member since 2003 • 224 Posts
[QUOTE="Sheps21"]

[QUOTE="idk761"]I have a feeling one day it would be virtual reality, like they put you in a game like of CoD, and you actually hold the gun and shoot them. I think you would put a helmet on and go inside a pod an you play the game inside there, to simulate running you run in place I guess. I just hope they actually don't make you feel pain. Getting shot wouldn't be fun. I would laugh my a** off if they made it so if you die in the game you die in real life. Dang, can't wait until that gaming era. Denji

Technically, the war games today are just like training simulators. It's not all that different from what the military uses.

I just have to throw this out there. Virtual reality games in the way you have described them in this original post is impossible. It causes motion sickness. Remember virtualboy?

The reason people get car sick is they are unable to relate the motion of the outside world to their own body which is stationary in a car, this causes the brain to think there is something wrong and it induces vomiting.

It is the same thing, essentially, with virtual reality. You have proprioceptors and mechanoreceptors in your muscles that give your brain information about strain on the area and the limbs position in space. If this does not match the visual representation that your brain is receiving you get motion sickness.

I know this was just a thought you wanted to throw out there for us to read but I'm just a day away from a 100% final in a neural adaptation course so I felt like throwing this information back :)

Anyway I am sure that graphics at some point will hit a ceiling just like processing power of computers is currently hitting one of its own. But eventually someone will find a way around it and then we will eventually look back at this generation with laughter at the pitiful graphics.

yungswift44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 yungswift44
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts
honestly.....i hope i hope once we get to the full graphical capabilities of the ps3 (and 360) thats its, seriously..i cant take anymore damnit, i dont want my games to look like real life
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 I_pWnzz_YoU

[QUOTE="I_pWnzz_YoU"][QUOTE="skp_16"]IMO a good looking game will forever look good.Zidaneski

Does that make sense?

Still makes no sense. Back in the day we thought Spyro was an awesome looking game, look back at it now.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zidaneski
[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

[QUOTE="I_pWnzz_YoU"] Does that make sense?I_pWnzz_YoU

Still makes no sense. Back in the day we thought Spyro was an awesome looking game, look back at it now.

If a 5 year-old can make a good-looking drawing of their house on a sunny day and later grows up and starts painting masterpieces do we say that the crayola drawing was a piece of crap? Yeah games do get better but do we say Pac-man looks like a piece of crap?

ENDOT12123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ENDOT12123
Member since 2007 • 1223 Posts
i was thinkin this 2day whilst sittin on the toilet xD was thinkin how i used to think GT2 on the ps1 had the most amazin graphics iv ever seen, like the cars looked real, i remember tellin my mates bout how real it looked, and then when i got my ps2 i was crappin my self on how good they was compared like on GT3, i didnt think they could get any better than that,
hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
I rememeber thinking gran turismo 2 looked awesome Now i look back, the crowd looked like smarties
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

If you think about it were not even close, yes from a distance games like metal gear look great, but if you get close up you can see where it needs a lot of improvement. There are details all over the games that needs imrpovement on graphicsluludooobee111

I agree. When you really look closely at the graphics it is not hard to find things that could be improved. I'm still looking forward to games in native 1080p with razor sharp graphics.

I think there could be a problem in the future though. The more advanced games get the more money and time they take to produce. I'm sure cost already limits the potential of some of the best games we already enjoy.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I agree. When you really look closely at the graphics it is not hard to find things that could be improved. I'm still looking forward to games in native 1080p with razor sharp graphics.

junglist101

Why 1080p, if there is UHD on the way? ^^ Just think about 4320p, we will laugh at all those blurry PS3 games xD Beside the higher resolution, I hope they'll improve to more advanced technologies like a pair of glases with two different pictures to simulate a real 3D look. Future will always bring more and better things, belive me

I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 I_pWnzz_YoU
[QUOTE="I_pWnzz_YoU"][QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

Zidaneski

If a 5 year-old can make a good-looking drawing of their house on a sunny day and later grows up and starts painting masterpieces do we say that the crayola drawing was a piece of crap? Yeah games do get better but do we say Pac-man looks like a piece of crap?

Yeah, I mean Pac-Man is great but come on...
Rush2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rush2k
Member since 2004 • 651 Posts
I still remember telling a friend of mine how good "Metal Gear Solid 1" looked on the PlayStation 1. Couple of years later I saw the game again and it didn't even look remotely close to what I remembered. Crazy. The games today are pretty good, but in the future there will be more details to everything and it will look more real. We will probably still be like: "Why did I think this game looked good?"
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
I already do that this gen. When I look at genji 2 I just go "god damn, looks almost as bad as it plays"
Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts
[QUOTE="Denji"][QUOTE="Sheps21"]

Dankodefense

I just have to throw this out there. Virtual reality games in the way you have described them in this original post is impossible. It causes motion sickness. Remember virtualboy?

The reason people get car sick is they are unable to relate the motion of the outside world to their own body which is stationary in a car, this causes the brain to think there is something wrong and it induces vomiting.

It is the same thing, essentially, with virtual reality. You have proprioceptors and mechanoreceptors in your muscles that give your brain information about strain on the area and the limbs position in space. If this does not match the visual representation that your brain is receiving you get motion sickness.

I know this was just a thought you wanted to throw out there for us to read but I'm just a day away from a 100% final in a neural adaptation course so I felt like throwing this information back :)

Anyway I am sure that graphics at some point will hit a ceiling just like processing power of computers is currently hitting one of its own. But eventually someone will find a way around it and then we will eventually look back at this generation with laughter at the pitiful graphics.

I hate to rain on your "parade of knowledge," but virtual reality is not possible NOW. That is what this entire post is about; that is what technology is, making what man naturally percieves as impossible, possible. 1900, ask the general public if man will fly- "No, that is impossible" would be your common response. Four years later, the Wright brothers did fly, and then look even further into the future to 1969 and we fly to the Moon. Impossible? That is essentially just a word bound by time.

I understand what you are trying to get at, with virtual reality being physically impossible for man, but I can assure you, there will be ways around it. Look at the wii, the motion sensing on that is already a form of virtual reality. Maybe running in place could be supported by a large ball that you run inside so that your brain understands that you are actually moving where your senses tell it, who knows? Either way, innovation will always happen.

Graphics will always improve, and gaming, that is, electronic entertainment, will always be changing and developing.

SikKwuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SikKwuN
Member since 2007 • 1442 Posts
i remember thinking gran turismo 2 looked so real. lol. oh and gfx will ALWAYS improve. just wiki moore's law for a detailed explaination
bpw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bpw8
Member since 2002 • 558 Posts

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=47724

its only 3 years old.. but its interesting... going to scour the internet for older forums where people are talkinga bout the same kinds of questions.. just to see the difference between then and now.