Why the PS3 is having a tough time.

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GameArtGuy
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts
Very good article written by my friend on his website. It attempts at figuring out why people seem to hate the PS3.

THE REAL #1 is PRICE...it wouldnt copy and paste correctly
  1. The Look -
    Some consider it the most “sexy” looking machine. In my opinion its the ugliest of the
    big three. Not because it looks like a grill, but simply because its
    design just doesn’t work. To me, the curvy yet edgy look is just
    awkward.
  2. It Won -
    Theres no doubt it “won” the last generation, and continues to sell in great
    quantities. The PS2 seems to have given Sony the “cocky” attitude of
    being the champion. With statements such as “Xbox 1.5″ or “doesn’t cost
    enough” coming straight from the mouth of the beast… its hard to like
    Sony, even if you’re not a Xbox Fanboy. Also a result of the PS2,
    people expect Sony to have the upper hand, which at the moment they
    certainly do not, and when you’re known for winning the slightest
    chance of losing is too good not to talk about.
  3. Blu-Ray -
    Do you want it? Do you hate it? All those don’t matter because your
    going to pay for it. Many people consider the higher price tag a result
    of the Blu-Ray drive being added. With games like Gears of War, Mass
    Effect, Halo 3, and many many more titles looking nothing short of
    amazing fitting on one disc it is hard to see the reason for this right
    away. When Sony’s formats have a habbit of…well…failing, some may see
    this as paying for something that isn’t a winner.

4. Games - simple as that. At the moment there is really nothing making me itch
    with envy over every PS3 owner. Even the titles that make me want a PS3
    have only been shown in pre-rendered videos or even worse, pre-rendered
    screen-shots. Many of the current titles on the PS3 have been available
    for almost a year on the competitors console, and many will be
    multi-platform. When i have a choice of a game on the 360 or PS3,
    there’s going to be one that supports achievements and great on-line
    play… so guess which one I will choose?

Full Article
I just thought it was interesting... why do you think the PS3 is getting so much hate? (please dont say the "XBOTZ MUST BE SCARED ELOHEL OMG !!!")
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GameArtGuy
Copy and Paste ERRORS ROCK! number 1 is "price" blah blah blah
fridayguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fridayguy
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts
i think it is because sony kind of acted superior than everyone else, sice they pretty much owned the gaming word with ps1 and fought a winning battle with ps2. but since xbox came a year earlier they had time to establish themselves, so this round sony is coming from behind. but i believe ps3 is doing fine. everywhere i hear is that in most big cities you cant find them, around here in maine you can barely find one. it will do fine. i think this system wars should stop, stop flaming and play whatever console you want, 360, 3 , or wii. i have a ps3 ( love is like a madman ) but i think 360 is also a great console.. thats as far as i go with that.
UntoldDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UntoldDreams
Member since 2006 • 3238 Posts
I'm more interested in why you feel compelled to post something like this in the first place?

fridayguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fridayguy
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts

and also if you think about it xbox 360 isnt cheap either. lets compare. ps3 - 600 ( 60 ) xbox 400 with hd dvd player 200 = 600. hmmm how about that

DreamworkS12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DreamworkS12
Member since 2003 • 768 Posts
Because people always want to see the top dogg fail and the underdog succeed, perhaps? Seriously though.. the PS2 went through the same tribulations and look where it ended up.
Takiwara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Takiwara
Member since 2006 • 1150 Posts
geez i thought the end of these threads was a long time ago but lo and behold another one.
LoboSolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LoboSolo
Member since 2002 • 1136 Posts
People in this country can't wait. That's why people bash the PS3. Every American is an overly opinionated, anxcious, ADD, whiner. PS, I am American, so don't flame me for that. I just think that we take too much for granted.
Takiwara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Takiwara
Member since 2006 • 1150 Posts
People in this country can't wait. That's why people bash the PS3. Every American is an overly opinionated, anxcious, ADD, whiner. PS, I am American, so don't flame me for that. I just think that we take too much for granted.LoboSolo
That's not true about all of us.
neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 neezie
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Nuthin but hateraid. He himself is probably an Xbox fanboy. Plus this is only the beginning. I have to admit that the PS3 doesn't have many good games right now (I myself only have Resistance) but its still young and will take time like this coming fall. The 360 didn't start off that great either but that was a year ago and it doesn't matter anymore.

And if the cost was such a problem, then why is it selling out and on high demand. He probably couldn't afford it so he complained about it.

nanomecha4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nanomecha4
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts
Is this the new way to troll the successs of the PS3? Copy and paste what idiots have to say?
Avatar image for Mancow_wrestler
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mancow_wrestler
Member since 2006 • 1249 Posts

and also if you think about it xbox 360 isnt cheap either. lets compare. ps3 - 600 ( 60 ) xbox 400 with hd dvd player 200 = 600. hmmm how about that

fridayguy

But there's where you're wrong...firstly by posting about that console in the ps3 forum, but also about the price. You don't need to buy a 400 dollar console, then HD-DVD player in order to play those games...
Avatar image for Mancow_wrestler
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mancow_wrestler
Member since 2006 • 1249 Posts
People in this country can't wait. That's why people bash the PS3. Every American is an overly opinionated, anxcious, ADD, whiner. PS, I am American, so don't flame me for that. I just think that we take too much for granted.LoboSolo
And this comment is wrong on so many levels....just fyi :P To say "EVERY AMERICAN IS: bla bla bla" is just silly... Did you see how many "stupid Americans" were lined up waiting for that ps3 on launch?
jayhadit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jayhadit
Member since 2006 • 337 Posts

Do you have to ask?

Lack of games compared to the 360, its the priciest, the online isn't #1 and just started being fully operational, the bluray is controversal.

Thats not my opinion, but the general anti-sony public.

My opinion is that some people, among me, want to see the #1 company go down to make room for the lesser guys. Its called capitalism but currently the game market is a SONY dictatorship. Thats why change must take place. 

Mark2099
not too sure if i agree with you there, and between the ninty's, the MS, and sony...there is no little guy (or lesser guy.) Also, i really think achievement points are kinda foolish. they make people play games that they really don't even like in order to have bragging rights. who is that kinda stuff important to? "dude, my gamer rating is higher than yours!!! I win!!!!" I guess i just don't understand.
nish14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nish14
Member since 2007 • 216 Posts

the gaming library sucks as of rite now. thats y everyones bashing the ps3. me, even tho i own one, i bash it becuase of the controller, its the same thing we've been playing with for the past 8 yrs...and they took out rumble. but yea their launch line up is sooo weak. 360s line up was weak too but they had no competition, now sonys comin from behind and competing with the Wii. so their launch had to be good but wasnt. this is why sonys doin "bad". i think once good games finally come to the system, most ppl bashing it will be eating their own words, however i will still probably hold somethin against them because of the stupid sixaxis controller.

Avatar image for ParasiteEveLust
ParasiteEveLust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ParasiteEveLust
Member since 2005 • 1545 Posts
I didn't like the design at first but when I actually own it, I freaking love the design now. It rocks!
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts
People listen to the media but not as much as you think. The best buys by me get 20-40 ps3's and they always end up selling out or have a few left by the weekends. I dont care what people say, i love it. and PS its one of the sexiest consoles ever, i love how it looks.
blem16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 blem16
Member since 2006 • 526 Posts

and also if you think about it xbox 360 isnt cheap either. lets compare. ps3 - 600 ( 60 ) xbox 400 with hd dvd player 200 = 600. hmmm how about that

fridayguy

i agree that the 360 isnt cheap, but with the 360 you have the Choice of getting the hd dvd player or not. If you dont want it, you can just get the system for 400 and not be inclined to pay $200 for the hd dvd player, unlike the PS3 where u Have to pay for the blueray player whether you want it or not 'cause its included. Although the ps3 is a much greater value than the 360, ppl just don't seem to care cause blueray isn't the standard for movies yet.

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

Do you have to ask?

Lack of games compared to the 360, its the priciest, the online isn't #1 and just started being fully operational, the bluray is controversal.

Thats not my opinion, but the general anti-sony public.

My opinion is that some people, among me, want to see the #1 company go down to make room for the lesser guys. Its called capitalism but currently the game market is a SONY dictatorship. Thats why change must take place.

Mark2099

Then I guess that you must LOVE Linux and Mac?
nekketmadnug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nekketmadnug
Member since 2005 • 176 Posts
the ps3 is having a hard time because it's really expensive, and the only people that can afford it are older people with good jobs.
DiscoBurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DiscoBurn
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
This is all fine and dandy, and I agree in a lot of ways, but this belongs in system wars.
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GameArtGuy
I'm more interested in why you feel compelled to post something like this in the first place?

UntoldDreams
Uh, because its a PS3 forum, and people concerned about somthing they spent 600 dollars on like discussing why others have a hatred for it?
thekonig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thekonig
Member since 2005 • 104 Posts
Lets just see who will be complaining in the next few years.
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GameArtGuy
This is all fine and dandy, and I agree in a lot of ways, but this belongs in system wars.DiscoBurn
Id have to say this post belongs here... as its about the ps3, its not bashing, its not praising, its not comparing really... its just a topic of discussion. My personal opinion on why people have such a "hate" for the PS3 is because the heads of Sony, and the other two competitors have made it that way. They wanted this "war" because it causes so much hype for games that would never even be looked at. It causes the PS3 fanbase to notice everything that happens on the 360, and it causes the Wii fan base to notice everything that happens on he PS3. It causes people to talk, and when someone talks about your product, you win. Its not about price, 500 for somthing that you will use for 3-4 years? sounds good to me. Its not about games, we all know the good stuff comes later (look at the 360) Its not about Blu-Ray, you dont even notice a difference. What its about is people enjoying their hobby of gaming, just like people enjoy watching football or basketball they will enjoy watching to see who pulls what punches in this marketing war... and everyones picked a team to watch and root for.
boo_dat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 boo_dat
Member since 2003 • 704 Posts
By golly, gee wizz...he's right, Batman!  This topic creator makes me sad...
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GameArtGuy
By golly, gee wizz...he's right, Batman! This topic creator makes me sad...boo_dat
yet another well thought out response and a lack of ability to discuss something without attempting to be witty, smarta$$ed or....hell....even intelligent.
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts
This post is junk.
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GameArtGuy
So i take it nobody took a second to actually click the link and read that this is in no way a flame? good job, he clearly states these are reasons why HE THINKS OTHER HATE the ps3.
mc8045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mc8045
Member since 2003 • 228 Posts
you have to ask your self do you want to pay an extra 200 for a movie player and i do not but buying a ps3 makes you pay the extra 200 even if you wont be using it as a movie player
ateace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ateace3
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts
To the common consumer the PS3 does not offer anything to justify its price. The main problem with the PS3 is that the Blu Ray is not optional like the 360. They are the same price, if you want a HD-DVD, but the 360 does not force you to pay two hundred dollars more for it. PS3 should have learned from the PSP, games are the most important part of a console... don't focus too much on your new "media revolution(s)". However, I have no doubt in my mind that it will pick up once the price drops and the AAA games are released.
Thrice_III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Thrice_III
Member since 2004 • 1539 Posts
One reason and one reason only price. And it's still doing really good with it's price point. Looks as the number 1 reason?? come on, the big PS2 was one fugly console.
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GameArtGuy
[QUOTE="Thrice_III"]One reason and one reason only price. And it's still doing really good with it's price point. Looks as the number 1 reason?? come on, the big PS2 was one fugly console.

Thats an error, the number 1 reason is price on the real article. somthing wrong with the html or somthing and the way it was written on the site.
Theempire30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Theempire30
Member since 2006 • 2420 Posts

YOU JUST HATE IT CUZ ITS BLACK!

*racist*:cry:

dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dubvisions

I wasn't "forced" to get the "movie" player.  I wanted the blu-ray player.  And I am totally satisfied with the wonderful playback it brings me on my HDTV and 5.1 digital surround.  This is next gen. gaming, boys and girls.  Don't get it twisted.  Next generation gaming is all about the HD and high quality, high file sized goodness. 

Now, if you don't have a HDTV or surround sound, stop reading this now, delete your account and never return to this forum.  Just kidding.  Seriously though, I understand why you may not care about such things if you don;t have the equipment.  But if you do, you must know what power the PS3 has.

If you've ever worked with video or audio files (in quality), you know that space can become a major roadblock.  360 should be hitting that roadbloack here shortly and HD-DVD won;t be too far behind.  Only Blu-ray has that capacity.

GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GameArtGuy

I wasn't "forced" to get the "movie" player. I wanted the blu-ray player. And I am totally satisfied with the wonderful playback it brings me on my HDTV and 5.1 digital surround. This is next gen. gaming, boys and girls. Don't get it twisted. Next generation gaming is all about the HD and high quality, high file sized goodness.

Now, if you don't have a HDTV or surround sound, stop reading this now, delete your account and never return to this forum. Just kidding. Seriously though, I understand why you may not care about such things if you don;t have the equipment. But if you do, you must know what power the PS3 has.

If you've ever worked with video or audio files (in quality), you know that space can become a major roadblock. 360 should be hitting that roadbloack here shortly and HD-DVD won;t be too far behind. Only Blu-ray has that capacity.

dubvisions
I work in game art, and development... so i know all about the draw backs of DVD9. IMO its not that big of a deal... its nice to have 50gb (or 25) but 9GB is still, and will remain enough for a good 2 years to come, after all, you can ship with more than 1 disc.
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dubvisions
I IMO its not that big of a deal... its nice to have 50gb (or 25) but 9GB is still, and will remain enough for a good 2 years to come, after all, you can ship with more than 1 disc. GameArtGuy
2 years, 1 year, whatever. Before the consoles are replaced, the PS3 will reign supreme. You just admitted that.
Mosannam9696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mosannam9696
Member since 2004 • 229 Posts
well, back in the day, before there were pictures or anything, everyone was pretty much thinking that sony was gonna come out with some amazing thing and win the next console war again for a third time...im not really sure what happened...im guessing one guy said that the ps3 was stupid and all of a sudden it went haywire and people were probably saying it to fit in or something, but after a while no matter what you beilieve in, if you put it down without knowing whats going on, you are gonna dislike stuff. Its retarded, but stupid people are killing the ps3 because people are telling them to. its gonna take a bit, but sometime its gonna pop out as the best of the best and all the people that said that its junk are gonna feel real stupid. ive played all of the new consoles, as have lots of people, and i love the ps3. its amazing. the wii, well i hate it. its for 3 year old children. the 360 is nice, but something just didnt feel right when i was playing it. anyways, what im trying to say is that if, from the get go, everyone was saying how amazing the ps3 was, then there wouldnt be much hate at all. theres always gonna be hate towards something, but this is just ridiculous. its like saying dvds are worse than vhs. imagine if there were people saying that dvds were retarded and stupid when they first came out. then everyone would be saying it. its just how the world works people.
Xeonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Xeonz
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

fridayguy

What about if you don't care about movies and you just want a game console? To buy PS3 you have to buy Blu-Ray with it, it doesn't come separate, so if you don't care about movies you are in for a loss and that way the 360 is the obvious and cheaper choice. And somebody please don't add Live to the price list, as there's the free alternative, XBConnect.
shadowchaos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shadowchaos7
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts
i have all systems i love ps3 but if you ask me why its going through so much hell now? Simple, there isn't **** to play on it cept Resistance. I think Sony should have really delayed launch so number one they could have fixed a lot of these firmware issues and had more games to play. But as long as they got metal gear and final fantasy they got my money im sure things will perk up but in the mean time c'mon i paid 600 for this I want to play some games and does anyone else get annoyed that the controller won't cut itself off if its inactive for a while to conserve battery? lol
nanomecha4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nanomecha4
I wonder if someone made a thread about why the 360 is selling less than Xbox 1...on the 360 forum, what would happen.  A lot of denial imo.
boo_dat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 boo_dat
Member since 2003 • 704 Posts

[QUOTE="boo_dat"]By golly, gee wizz...he's right, Batman! This topic creator makes me sad...GameArtGuy
yet another well thought out response and a lack of ability to discuss something without attempting to be witty, smarta$$ed or....hell....even intelligent.

by golly, gee wzz...you're right!  I must not be intelligent at all...or maybe it's because I've given up trying to discuss in futile threads like this...trust me...I've argued, I've spent the time backing my words up with facts...it's just so tiring and PATHETIC...g'day...

nanomecha4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nanomecha4
why are you trolls feeding the trolls?
pooolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pooolk
Member since 2005 • 251 Posts
c'mon guys you just are frustrating about the ps3 doing bad .. well thats how i feel..about the hd dvd i think i was a good idea to sold it separtly cause i dont need a hd dvd and i dont need a blueray either ,but i pay for it :S
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
Simple. Because it's sony and they're number one right now. These exact same statements(and I mean exact same) were said when the PS2 first launched and look what happened.
Baller91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Baller91
Member since 2007 • 437 Posts

and also if you think about it xbox 360 isnt cheap either. lets compare. ps3 - 600 ( 60 ) xbox 400 with hd dvd player 200 = 600. hmmm how about that

fridayguy

yep and Dont forget About the X box Live and the Piece to Make it Wifi
zacksbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 zacksbored
Member since 2005 • 204 Posts
people seem too forget the 360 had a pretty rough start too i hardly used mine the first month till DOA4 then after that i took a break till oblivion it takes time for units too become successful and have quality games p.s. i own a 360 with the hddvd add on and the ps3s price didnt bother me if anything gamestop game a $100 for my ps2 when i traded it in on a ps3 so the ps3 only cost me 500 thats cheaper than my 360+add on but i do hope they hurry with the good games im currently playing gundam crossfire on ps3
Baller91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Baller91
Member since 2007 • 437 Posts
i have all systems i love ps3 but if you ask me why its going through so much hell now? Simple, there isn't **** to play on it cept Resistance. I think Sony should have really delayed launch so number one they could have fixed a lot of these firmware issues and had more games to play. But as long as they got metal gear and final fantasy they got my money im sure things will perk up but in the mean time c'mon i paid 600 for this I want to play some games and does anyone else get annoyed that the controller won't cut itself off if its inactive for a while to conserve battery? lol shadowchaos7
U have To wait it Just Came Out give it some Time
thestickman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thestickman
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
I'll be honest. When the PS3 first launched I was pissed at Sony. Lik-Sang.com got shutdown from numerous Sony lawsuits, Kaz Harai was being super cocky talking about people would get two jobs JUST to buy the new system, I thought that they were ripping ideas from Nintendo by adding tilt functions to their controller just two weeks before E3 2006 (on top of removing rumble, another thing that irked me) and from Microsoft by adding the center "Playstation" button and analog triggers to the Sixaxis, and I ended up selling my PS2 and PSP just to get back at them... Now I realize those actions were pretty ignorant, as there's no way Sony could even be virtually affected by ME selling my TWO systems that I owned of theirs. I found out that the Sixaxis's tilt was nothing like the Wii's motion-sensitivity at all, and if anything they might actually be harming themselves by adding it since the lack of rumble might deter some buyers, and the "Playstation" button was pretty much just a glorified "Home" button as was on the PSP way before the Xbox 360 was even launched. So lately I've been realizing the PS3 coming under a lot of fire from the press and the fanboys and whatnot, and I'll admit that I even did a little bashing on it myself (to show that there's no proof thus-far that when compared to the Xbox 360 the PS3 is anything more than on equal footing with the rival console). Well here comes the fact that even though some don't agree with the styling of the PS3, I rather favor it and find it to be quite a sleek looking machine. On top of that, where else are you gonna go for all the latest greatest Final Fantasy titles and the like? That's right, nowhere. I for one know that even though the only title thats available for the system at the moment that I would even consider purchasing is Resistance: Fall of Man, but there are many more coming that look to be great, including Oblivion, which I already own and have 100+ hours in for the Xbox 360, but I just can't resist the polish Bethesda has been able to add by having an extra year to work out the kinks. I'm not a HUGE fan of the Metal Gear series, so of course MGS4 isn't gonna buy me over, but there's plenty of other content on its way that suits my tastes. The problem is, every time I get hyped about the PS3 and can't wait to add one to my collection, a fanboy comes along clapping their mouth about how much the other systems suck compared to the PS3 and that its the only thing in the world worth owning. This gives me the same sick feeling that I got from Harai's words, and a little bit of the spark dies every time. I say PSWii60 FTW, and I don't understand why everybody else doesn't want to own ALL the systems (if they can financially support it, of course) so that they can get the best titles from each one...
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GameArtGuy
Are people just illiterate... this isnt a WHY THE PS3 is doing bad... its why do you think the ps3 is getting all the hate its getting.... Half of you just joined this and started talking about trolls and blah blah blah..... learn to frickin read kids... its a skill you're going to need later on. Why do you think the PS3 is getting the hate its getting.... those are reasons why HE THINKS its getting the hate... not why he hates it....