Why the lack of a 2nd thumbstick?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts

I dont understand why the lack of effort to get the 2nd thumbstick on. It may be too big and anti ergonomic but im sure it can be done. Had they done that, remote play would be capable on every (or most) of the games. Speaking of which there is no trigger buttons are there? r1,r2/l1,l2?

I still plan on getting one but i wonder how soon another psp, maybe the psp2, with the 2nd stick, will be released.

mastershakez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mastershakez
Member since 2007 • 3260 Posts

Since the PSP Go was just released, it will probably be a while before the PSP2. And yes, it's been requested since the the PSP 1000 that another thumb stick should be added to the PSP2(I can't imagine them not adding it). I haven't seen any huge need for the second set of shoulder buttons, but it couldn't hurt I suppose.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
i agree it wuld help to have a second thumb stick. as for r2, l2 shoulder buttons i don't think they are needed, but if they go with the psp go type of design for the psp2 i think they could place them in without making the device too chunky or large, having extra buttons is always nice, so if they can add them in i'm all for it. we won't see another psp revision with any of these additions, but i do think they will address most of the psp's issues with the psp2.
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

Well no, you won't be seeing a 2nd thumstick anytime soon. There would be absolutely no support for it in the games already released. Therefore no point in adding one.

DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DangerHiVoltage
duh, i know that, just wondering if anyone knew why sony didnt implement this in the original psp to begin with? i dont imagine it being too much of a problem for them. either way i know the psp is great as it is. maybe they felt the pressure to put it out fast
ShatteredNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShatteredNight
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

Theres no use of it!

Theres no "yeah but" :P

Its like adding random buttons on your labtop keyboard JUST for the heck of it when they have no use. Why spend the money and time into finding a way to fit it in when there like not even gonna be used. I mean they CAN add it just so it looks nicer and like the PS2 and 3 controller but so far the games dont need them and are fine as they are.

DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DangerHiVoltage
NO USE OF IT? do you know how much better shooters will play with a second thumbstick? or for action adventures, platformers etc. That stick controls the camera so you have more control over your character in the game. I know games are fine as they are and i imagine resistance retribution and killzone liberation are gonna be fun games but that 2nd stick is so essential in a shooter, or any 3d game that makes it easier to pan a camera around so that you can always see whats in front of your character. It also poses other functions in many games for both 360 and ps3. Im just saying, psp has a great library, but it seems like with the simple input of the 2nd stick, games could have been so much better on the psp. I really hope to hear news on a psp2 by at least 2011, and maybe released in 2012. seems far but realistic.
DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 DarkMaster7991
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

Well while many want it, and it could be usefull. There are 2 possible reasons:

1. No past games have the support for it. While you can have future games support it, there really isn't a use for it currently.

2. Well Sony is most likely waiting for the PSP 2. Now I know it is an overused excuse but it would make sense on thier part. See they want to do the 10 year or so plan with the psp and even without adding the 2nd thumbstick they are selling PSPs. The new models still sell. They could keep it off and even with the critism, they still sell.

I personally don't have a problem with the 1 current thumbstick but can see an upside with having an extra one.

calebcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 calebcop
Member since 2009 • 889 Posts

They didn't add it to the 2000 or 3000 because they play the same games! I'd be kinda weird having a 2nd stick if you play the same game on one PSP, but not on the other.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
I think it's cause adding an 2nd thumbstick would be seen as replacing the 3000; something they didn't want. By keeping the Go (or any new system) nearly the same in terms of the physical features, allows them to sell them side by side, without forcing current owners the feeling of needing to upgrade. Idk just a thought.
betamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 betamon
Member since 2006 • 306 Posts

All right, as far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be such a problem adding the extra stick. The psx' first controllers didn't have any sticks, then they released the first dual shock sometime during the psx' lifecycle. So they went from none to having two, right? I don't see the problem with upgrading the psp go with the second stick, therefore giving the system that option for future games.

DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DangerHiVoltage
again im just saying, it shoulda been done in the concept before the 1000 was even released. i wasnt expecting it for the go
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#13 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

Since the PSP Go was just released, it will probably be a while before the PSP2. And yes, it's been requested since the the PSP 1000 that another thumb stick should be added to the PSP2(I can't imagine them not adding it). I haven't seen any huge need for the second set of shoulder buttons, but it couldn't hurt I suppose.

mastershakez

Yeah.