Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#1 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

I have a guilty pleasure that is Heavy Rain. I love hate relationship with it. But a lot of people seem to hate it. 1. It's an interactive movie action adventure game so the gameplay is going to be incredibly hoaky. Lots of QTE but I like it. It's very beautiful and atmospheric 90% of the time.

My biggest problem with HR though is the acting or it's story. It seems that as if David Cage's understanding of humans albiet humans of America is very limited. As if it's filtered through some kind of robotic algorithm trying to be a human without understand what people are. These uncanny androids are written as if it was an ABC TV drama series. It's not right. There is something about it that isn't write and I can't put my finger on it. It all feels so laughably derivative.

Beyond two souls solved many complaints I had about Heavy Rain but everyone thought it was worse. At BTS's core it suffers from Heavy Rain's problems.

Is this why they don't like HR?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Who hates Heavy Rain? I don't think I've ever seen or heard a person say it's a bad game for what it is.. Personally I think it's a great game.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Haven't seen any hate specifically towards Heavy Rain as far as interactive movie games go. For me though, interactive movie games are:

1. Boring to play, as there is no gameplay.
2. Gives you "choices" that are usually bullshit. Doesn't matter what you choose.
3. The story part of the game (which is the part of the game) is usually some B-tier hollywood crap.

If I want to play a game, I'll play something I get to PLAY.
If I want a good cinematic story, I'll watch a movie.

So I simply couldn't care less about them.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Couldn't get passed the beginning. I found it less than captivating.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts

I think the game was pretty great

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I loved it and got the best ending first playthrough. I just think the genre is very niche.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm a fan of these so called "games" Heavy Rain was alright.

Jason

Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Heavy Rain was never hated back when it came out on PS3. It’s the only David Cage game I found to be grounded enough to be any good. The gamers who are saying it to be a meh game probably played it recent when it re-released for PC but never played on PS3 is my best guess but no hate.

But of course, once you find who the real killer is, it's hard replaying the game unless you wait for a long time to forget who was it and might be worth coming back.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

I loved it. My favorite part was comparing how my game turned out to my other friends that played it. I also refused multiple playthroughs. That was my experience, and that's how it stayed.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I never played it. I thought most people praised it.

I know the development was poorly managed which resulted in some pretty poor conditions for the employees.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Alexander2cents said:

My biggest problem with HR though is the acting or it's story. It seems that as if David Cage's understanding of humans albiet humans of America is very limited. As if it's filtered through some kind of robotic algorithm trying to be a human without understand what people are. These uncanny androids are written as if it was an ABC TV drama series. It's not right. There is something about it that isn't write and I can't put my finger on it. It all feels so laughably derivative.

I think you pretty much answered your own question with this paragraph. It's overall a decent game but the voice acting was pretty uneven which is a problem in a game that's all about the story. The other bit that the game catches flack for not actually having as much choice as it pretends to. For example...

Loading Video...

But it was a lot better than Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit that started out amazing strong but fizzled so terribly by the end. Beyond: Two Souls felt like two steps forward but one step backwards as I didn't think it improved over the previous entry in every category, but it was still better overall. Detroit is IMHO the best game to date (ridiculously heavy-handed allegory notwithstanding), especially going back and seeing that you can basically get any of the characters killed at nearly any point in the story.

For people who like interactive movie-type games, I don't think anyone -hates- Heavy Rain but there are certainly things it could have done better. Most of the hate for that game comes from people who are not fans of the genre, and I don't disagree that if you don't like the genre then this isn't going to be the game that will change your mind.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#13 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

@byshop: my other problem with the Heavy Rain PS3 port is the controls and how much they rely on six axis.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@byshop said:

For people who like interactive movie-type games, I don't think anyone -hates- Heavy Rain but there are certainly things it could have done better. Most of the hate for that game comes from people who are not fans of the genre, and I don't disagree that if you don't like the genre then this isn't going to be the game that will change your mind.

I feel like Heavy Rain was very ambitious as far as video game stories go, but it fell short in numerous ways. I still think the game itself is pretty good as far as all the different decisions you make that can lead to different outcomes. I think it succeeded at giving you an incentive to replay it and do different things. I still own the PS3 game but have yet to replay it for the PC as I got it on a sale last year. I'll consider doing so this weekend. It should be noted this game did put David Cage on top for a little while however. I should have mention in my original post that most PS3 players hated the PS Move update when it was introduce so its kinda mix experience from what I heard as I never own PS Move to test it for myself.

Edit: I just notice Heavy Rain is 12 years old, (at the time of this post) kinda surprising few gamers are talking about it even though the latest David Cage game is Detroit: Being Human.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

I played the demo of it on PS3 and thought it was amazing graphically. Concept wise I thought it was fun for what they were trying to achieve. With that said I never bought the game and finished it past the demo. I was putting too many hours into online shooters during whole PS3 era.

bonuspanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonuspanic
Member since 2022 • 19 Posts

I don't like Heavy Rain because my save file corrupted a long time ago and it hurt my feelings :'(

The game is alright honestly, nothing to write home about, but not bad at all.