What is the best RPG currently out on the PS3?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

corn_dogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 corn_dogs
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts
What IYO is the best rpg out on the PS3? FO3? Oblivion?
94thmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 94thmp
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts
my opinion oblivion. Granted i think that is the best game on any current gen console in any genre....
Carbon-Sniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Carbon-Sniper
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts
It's still Oblivion for me, i think the GoTY edition sealed it.
Xefiroderc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Xefiroderc
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
Oblivion and Fallout 3 are pretty much the only good RPGs out for the PS3 unfortunently.
zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts
What? A topic with so few answers. Basically it's Oblivion or FO3, and I would have to say Oblivion. By the end of 09 it should be FF13, but really what else will there be? So sad
ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts
What? A topic with so few answers. Basically it's Oblivion or FO3, and I would have to say Oblivion. By the end of 09 it should be FF13, but really what else will there be? So sadzmbi_gmr
I am not so sure it will be out this year. You know delays.But on topic fallout 3 is my personal favourite{didnt like oblivions combat}
zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zmbi_gmr

[QUOTE="zmbi_gmr"]What? A topic with so few answers. Basically it's Oblivion or FO3, and I would have to say Oblivion. By the end of 09 it should be FF13, but really what else will there be? So sadryrulez
I am not so sure it will be out this year. You know delays.But on topic fallout 3 is my personal favourite{didnt like oblivions combat}

let's hope that there won't be any delays. i'm really excited for FF13, but there is always White Knight Chronicles ( if it ever makes it out of Japan) :)

Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts
Use the game recommendations stickied thread for topics such as this.
ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts

[QUOTE="ryrulez"][QUOTE="zmbi_gmr"]What? A topic with so few answers. Basically it's Oblivion or FO3, and I would have to say Oblivion. By the end of 09 it should be FF13, but really what else will there be? So sadzmbi_gmr

let's hope that there won't be any delays. i'm really excited for FF13, but there is always White Knight Chronicles ( if it ever makes it out of Japan) :)

yeah I'm really looking forwrds to wkc but if it doesnt come out of Japan I'll import it.Don't get why famitsu disliked it.
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
Fallout 3 although I played it on the PC
KidKupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 KidKupo
Member since 2008 • 279 Posts

Oblivion for now.

Final Fantasy XIII when it comes out. Should be out in 2009.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts
For me personally it is Disgaea 3 due to the gorgeous Gameplay :) Fallout 3 was great as well, but the main story line is too short and silly and the range of weapons/armors should have been much bigger
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles was definitley my favourite. You won't find another game like it. Fallout 3 was good, but it felt very 'been there done that'. I just plain didn't like Oblivion. There was barely any variety (other than in the Dark Brotherhood quests), the combat sucked and the levelling system was horrible.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles... Oblivion is my 2nd favorite though.
sa10kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sa10kun
Member since 2007 • 4290 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles was definitley my favourite. You won't find another game like it. Fallout 3 was good, but it felt very 'been there done that'. I just plain didn't like Oblivion. There was barely any variety (other than in the Dark Brotherhood quests), the combat sucked and the levelling system was horrible. Silent-Hal

Valkyria Chronicles is the best rpg I have played on the ps3 so far. I tried oblivion and fallout but they felt so open ended that I stopped caring after a half hour.

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Eternal Sonata. Even if it's on the 360, most other games mentioned are to
sa10kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sa10kun
Member since 2007 • 4290 Posts

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Eternal Sonata. Even if it's on the 360, most other games mentioned are tor-teest

I wasn't loving the demo too much so I picked up valkyria instead. Do you think the game is really worth a try?

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts
well, i haven't actually played the full game YET, but i'm going to rent it to see how it is. I played the demo and it seemed pretty good to me. And i heard the difficulty is kinda hard...
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
Use the game recommendations stickied thread for topics such as this.Unassigned
What? No don't, this isn' a game reccomendation thread daddy. - I would definitely say Eternal Sonata, Followed by Oblivion: GOTY
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles!
Xepheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Xepheon
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles has been somewhat overlooked, but is one of the best games I've played in my lifetime. The story is outstanding and you won't find another RPG on the consoles that has so many fully detailed characters (50 playable soldiers in addition to the rest of the story characters), each with their own well-done voice acting and unique personality that comes to life in battle. The game can be challenging, but not too difficult to finish, and if you do like story elements then you'll probably get attached to this game. That's what I'd nominate for best PS3 rpg.

I have Fallout 3 and Oblivion, and I like Fallout 3 better than Oblivion. Fallout 3 is like a huge Oblivion mod, only much improved. The characters look better and there's more of a variety to the voice acting, plus faces seem far less robotic and lifeless. Fallout 3 also has trophies. Oblivion is a great game, especially with the expansion, but the side quests are way more interesting than the main one. For some reason, I can't think of a single person in Oblivion who I actually cared about, even whether they live or die, lol. When I played Fallout 3 I actually felt my conscience come into play.

Disgaea 3 spins around in my mind a lot. Sometimes I think it should be my favorite RPG on the PS3, but then I think I'm biased because I love FFTactics so much and Disgaea is so similar, only with far deeper gameplay and development of characters... there are so many classes to unlock and monsters to capture and then make your own character out of... and then I think, how can I be so fond of a game that looks like a PS2 game? Disgaea 3 is the PS3 RPG I will still be playing after I get bored of the other ones.

I haven't played Eternal Sonata yet, but the demo was really good. That is the problem... so many PS3 games and so few dollars to spend. Thank goodness Giftmas came so I could get a few games!

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles by 1000000%, followed by Disgaea 3, then Eternal Sonata.
creepa313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 creepa313
Member since 2008 • 135 Posts
oblivion. hands down
zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zmbi_gmr

Valkyria Chronicles by 1000000%, followed by Disgaea 3, then Eternal Sonata. raven_squad

i've downloaded the demo to valkyria chronicles,but haven't played it yet. been to busy. is it really that great? it was one of those games that i was gonna impulse buy,but then talked myself out of it because of the whole war aspect. i know that sounds strange, but i enjoy more fantasy in my games. i've read the reviews and they are all the same. what makes valkyria chronicles so fantastic? i know it has a solid story and sick visuals, but what else sets this game apart from the rest?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles is the best in my opinion. It's just a well-rounded game. The story, battle system, and characters are all wonderful.

Fallout 3 is also very good, but I played it on the 360.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
i have only played oblivion and hated it.
Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles was definitley my favourite. You won't find another game like it. Fallout 3 was good, but it felt very 'been there done that'. I just plain didn't like Oblivion. There was barely any variety (other than in the Dark Brotherhood quests), the combat sucked and the levelling system was horrible. Silent-Hal
I agree, fallout 3 was just oblivion with guns and less content in my opinion so I wasn't a fan. I will say enchated arms is second best, with valkyria chronicles number 1, such a great game.
IPwnNooBs666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IPwnNooBs666
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles!taplok

^^This.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
If you want to count strategy-RPGs, then Valkyria Chronicles all the way.
juanchito006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 juanchito006
Member since 2009 • 204 Posts

YEAHHHH!! OBLIVION IS THE BEST RPG EVER !!!!!! OBLIVION IS MY LIFE!!! OVER 300 HUNDRED HOURS PLAYING IT!!

:)

Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts
Eternal Sonata. I just prefer the more traditional JRPG. I thought Oblivion was incredibly overrated. It looked pretty, but that's about it for me at least.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]Valkyria Chronicles by 1000000%, followed by Disgaea 3, then Eternal Sonata. zmbi_gmr

i've downloaded the demo to valkyria chronicles,but haven't played it yet. been to busy. is it really that great? it was one of those games that i was gonna impulse buy,but then talked myself out of it because of the whole war aspect. i know that sounds strange, but i enjoy more fantasy in my games. i've read the reviews and they are all the same. what makes valkyria chronicles so fantastic? i know it has a solid story and sick visuals, but what else sets this game apart from the rest?

Just everything about it. The story (though admitedly a bit sappy) was refreshing, the gameplay was an awesome blend of strategy and RPG, the massive cast of characters all had great and very different personalities and back stories, beautiful visuals, engaging and never repetitive missions, etc.
360player_eq12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 360player_eq12
Member since 2006 • 2214 Posts
Disgaea 3.
agusganog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 agusganog
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Fallout 3 all the way. The atmosphere just blows my breath away.

Plus blowing up Megaton is insanely fun (I probably do it at least twice a day). Yes, I keep a save file just so I can blow up Megaton.

Xepheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Xepheon
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]Valkyria Chronicles by 1000000%, followed by Disgaea 3, then Eternal Sonata. zmbi_gmr

That is interesting that you mention talking yourself out of it because of the war aspect. VC could be an ideal game for you. In an interview with the developers, they said they chose the unique watercolor appearance because they wanted the game to focus more on the human aspect than the violence. I don't recall seeing any blood in the game, although I could be wrong, it's just been a month or so since I played it (I finished the game and had teary eyes at least twice during the game). In other words, it's not Fallout 3 with pretty colors, it's more of a character focused game and deals with some issues that parallel our own world. I personally think it's a shame if you have a PS3 and don't own this incredible exclusive.

And to the few people about who said Disgaea 3 was first or second, thank you for reassuring me that I'm not crazy for liking a sprite-based game so much.

omnislash6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 omnislash6669
Member since 2007 • 179 Posts
So my game stops working after I press "Load Game" (Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm). I "Quit Game", then try again. Same problem. I hold down PS button and Turn Off System. I restart my console and it freezes while loading my PS3 profile (XMB screen). I restart system (switch in the back) and get the "Hard Disk Data Will Be Rebuilt" message. I hit Ok and after about 2 seconds the screen goes blank and the system restarts. I pick my profile and system freezes again while loading my profile. So now I am scared to reboot my PS. Help? Solutions? Advice?
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
I have to break this down in two categories. For a JRPG I have to say Valkyria Chronicles and for a WRPG I have to go with Fallout 3. I loved Oblivion but just was not to fond of the level scaling.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
What IYO is the best rpg out on the PS3? FO3? Oblivion? corn_dogs
Oblivion
1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts
I would like to say Disgaea 3 and Fallout 3 I'd imagine.
knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]Valkyria Chronicles was definitley my favourite. You won't find another game like it. Fallout 3 was good, but it felt very 'been there done that'. I just plain didn't like Oblivion. There was barely any variety (other than in the Dark Brotherhood quests), the combat sucked and the levelling system was horrible. sa10kun

Valkyria Chronicles is the best rpg I have played on the ps3 so far. I tried oblivion and fallout but they felt so open ended that I stopped caring after a half hour.

AMEN BROTHER! Well said! I think most Bethesda games are TOO open ended. It's almost like the game creators didn't know what direction they wanted to lead the player in so they let the player figure it out instead. I like the idea of an open world, but I like the idea of opening up the world AFTER you finish a good chunk of the main quest. Provided you have a good story of course...

Anyways...best RPG on PS3 is definitely VALKYRIA CHRONICLES!

It feels fresh. It requires strategic thinking. Great story. Great graphics. It's a hybrid RPG, strategy game/shooter. It's genuinely unique and it's a PS3 exclusive too!

If you're going to get Fallout 3, get it on PC or Xbox 360 if you have the option to.

PUG_NASTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PUG_NASTY
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts
[QUOTE="Unassigned"]Use the game recommendations stickied thread for topics such as this.motherboop
What? No don't, this isn' a game reccomendation thread daddy. - I would definitely say Eternal Sonata, Followed by Oblivion: GOTY

he must aspire 2 become a mod one day. on topic....FO3 right now..loved it....but WKC is def gonna take that spot
Katzenbalger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Katzenbalger
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles. I love it.

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts
Easily Valkyria Chronicles for me.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Easily Valkyria Chronicles... for me...

...I still need to play it...

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zmbi_gmr
[QUOTE="zmbi_gmr"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]Valkyria Chronicles by 1000000%, followed by Disgaea 3, then Eternal Sonata. raven_squad

Just everything about it. The story (though admitedly a bit sappy) was refreshing, the gameplay was an awesome blend of strategy and RPG, the massive cast of characters all had great and very different personalities and back stories, beautiful visuals, engaging and never repetitive missions, etc.

non repetitive missions...now that intrigues me. someone else said that it feels fresh with new ideas and such. maybe i will try it out in a few weeks after i play some new games that i got over the holidays. thanks.

94thmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 94thmp
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts
i was hoping that the ps3 would get Star Ocean 4, maybe at the end of the year hopefully if at all.
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles is the best game i have played in a long long time. racked up 50 hours playing time in 4 days i couldn't turn the game off.
PikaPikaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 PikaPikaboo
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

I feel the exact same way!

_full_metal_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 _full_metal_
Member since 2008 • 226 Posts
i dont have it but valkyria chronicles looks really good