What is so great about MGS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamer_guy_714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamer_guy_714
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts

This is a serious question, seems like everybody is hyped about this game and I watched some trailers but it doesnt seem to appeal to me. I am a big fan of COD4, GTA4, Warhawk and Assassins Creed (until it got too repetitive). I am just looking for input and insight as to why this game is getting so much hype. Maybe change my mind on the game.

P.S. I never really played the previous ones except for maybe an hour. I was younger then and didnt have the patience to sneak around, just wanted to run around and kill people. lol

IllegalGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 IllegalGamer
Member since 2005 • 1178 Posts

This is a serious question, seems like everybody is hyped about this game and I watched some trailers but it doesnt seem to appeal to me. I am a big fan of COD4, GTA4, Warhawk and Assassins Creed (until it got too repetitive). I am just looking for input and insight as to why this game is getting so much hype.

P.S. I never really played the previous ones except for maybe an hour. I was younger then and didnt have the patience to sneak around, just wanted to run around and kill people. lol

gamer_guy_714

Same, ive never played the other ones. ill probably buy a ps2 MGS for 10$ and try it.

deuce85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deuce85
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts
The storyline and epic cutscenes is what makes this game so popular, and the gameplay is pretty good as well (not the best gameplay, but good).
Shortbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Shortbob
Member since 2007 • 1004 Posts
It is one of the best games out there because of how they make it, the other 3 were great.
PureDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PureDante
Member since 2007 • 925 Posts
To be honest, its a cool game on its own for its features and gameplay originality; but the whole hype over the game is because 1st off its a nex-gen MGS. Second off, its the conclusion. And third of all, you would only understand if you played mgs 3, 1, 2 (respectively). Otherwise, its still a great game, but try to read up the story on wikipedia or something.
dreaded_sledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dreaded_sledge
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts
It's the conclusion to a series that's been a decade in the making.
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
It's Metal Gear Solid.
carneyfolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 carneyfolk
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
It is an epic story through essentially 6 games if you count the 2 NES ones, i am so stoked about this game i cant wait.
keither_04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 keither_04
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 will be a great game because of how epic it is. The gameplay will be even more refined than the previous Metal Gears, the graphics will be amazing, and the sheer amount of cutscenes and outstanding music will make MGS4 THE game of 2008.
WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
You need to replay the first one and you'll see why.
Avatar image for 3verlastingHero
3verlastingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 3verlastingHero
Member since 2008 • 747 Posts
Characters + story.
XxAnubisxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 XxAnubisxX
Member since 2003 • 4978 Posts
Why wouldn't you like MGS is the question... best story of my life... great gameplay, characters, enviornment... but above all the best story of all TIME! FF7 of course is very close second...
SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SuperMario254
Member since 2003 • 2897 Posts

This is a serious question, seems like everybody is hyped about this game and I watched some trailers but it doesnt seem to appeal to me. I am a big fan of COD4, GTA4, Warhawk and Assassins Creed (until it got too repetitive). I am just looking for input and insight as to why this game is getting so much hype. Maybe change my mind on the game.

gamer_guy_714

*looks at bold* thar's your problem... the answer to this question is summed up into 3 words...

story, STORY.. STORY!

COD.. GTA.. both good games, but the story is really just kinda there... with MGS story comes first and gameplay comes second.. a very close second mind you but second never the less. I could push the same question on to you, what is so great about GTA IV? its just like all the other GTA's after 2 just a different main character, again running around and doing jobs for people trying to make his way to the top.

It seems to me like you are more of an action only gamer.. and there is nothing wrong with that, but the stories is most action games are severely lacking when it is compared to games like MGS who's story has been being told since what.. (1986? cant remember if that was the first release of MG on the nes in japan) so that is why everyone is hyped about it... hope that answered your questions

tktosc666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tktosc666
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
the story
gamer_guy_714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamer_guy_714
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts

right on, most of you guys say its the story, i am also a fan of rpg games because of the story, so i will probably buy it now. thanks everyone for your input, appreciate it! :D

Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts

right on, most of you guys say its the story, i am also a fan of rpg games because of the story, so i will probably buy it now. thanks everyone for your input, appreciate it! :D

gamer_guy_714

CAREFUL!, although you like a good story, MGS has a very twisty, and long story. Do not jump right into #4 without gaining an understanding of the first three, or else you will be very confused. Just some friendly advice.

potterpipi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#17 potterpipi
Member since 2005 • 16597 Posts

The gameplay is awesome, but the best thing of it all is the epic story.

You should really buy The Essentials for $30, worth it.

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

gamer_guy_714

Thats why you dont get the hype. The hype behind this game is because its the final chapter of one of the most epic stories in a videogame. It would be difficult to put it into words, besides, you seem to prefer the action only games so you wouldnt like this anyway.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
The game itself and the cutscenes were enough to made me almost!!! cry.. and IT's Metal Gear Solid
Avatar image for flaminshadowman
flaminshadowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 flaminshadowman
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer_guy_714"]

Prinze

CAREFUL!, although you like a good story, MGS has a very twisty, and long story. Do not jump right into #4 without gaining an understanding of the first three, or else you will be very confused. Just some friendly advice.

How about if people like me play #4 without playing the other MGS games, you think I will still enjoy it?
Randy_Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Randy_Savage
Member since 2008 • 464 Posts
[QUOTE="Prinze"][QUOTE="gamer_guy_714"]

flaminshadowman

How about if people like me play #4 without playing the other MGS games, you think I will still enjoy it?

I think it's fair to say you'll still enjoy it , but not nearly as much if you've played the other MGS games. The MGS Essential Collection is out and that would be a very wise investment.

fntsycloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fntsycloud
Member since 2002 • 748 Posts
If you're gonna ask this question as if you don't believe any hype, then just don't even ask, go play the game. Pretty lame of you to try and discredit a game just because other games are popular and you haven't done any research on this particular one.
justin_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 justin_06
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts
The story/ characters.