What Game Do you Consider "Art"?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

director13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 director13
Member since 2004 • 1677 Posts

Let's face it. As gamers, we know that the video game industry is quite misunderstood, especially in terms of the breadth of storytelling, atmosphere, and its ability to evoke emotion.

Well, there are many games out there that can be viewed as art. What game does that for you and why?

For me:

Shadow of the Colossus.

The world it created; its subtle yet effective use of brilliant storytelling (almost through silence); the atmosphere created; the docile, and somewhat tragic nature of the giants, the "cinematography" and color tones effectively reflect the nature of the game; the players connection to Agro; and fantastic music in one whole package.

So what game do you consider art (which admittedlyhas very subjective interpretations)

Or if you think this topic is bonkers (yes, i said it), then post why.

Do whatever lol.

hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts

I consider all games art. I can't think of a single game that I WOULDN't consider art.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
Linger in Shadows.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#4 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Portal

AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
Flower
Mr_Splosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mr_Splosher
Member since 2009 • 772 Posts
Every game is a piece of art, just some of those pieces of art are better than others.
HerGuitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HerGuitar
Member since 2010 • 308 Posts

Mirror's Edge.

AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
Every game is a piece of art, just some of those pieces of art are better than others.Mr_Splosher
i dunno i wouldn't consider games like KZ, burnout, Battlefield, infamous etc art they are just games.
JMattM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JMattM
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts

FlowerAGMing

+ 1

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

Every game.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
a lot of games could fall into this mold. i feel like chrono cross was a true work of art, but many weren't impacted the same way. if there was a game that was universally considered a work of art, which i don't really believe exists, i'd venture to guess it was something along the lines of Okami or the aforementioned Shadow of the Colossus.
sarahxox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#12 sarahxox
Member since 2008 • 957 Posts

Mirror's Edge.

HerGuitar

I agree! Mirrors Edge for sure, Flower too and Bioshock maybe...

hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hxczuner
[QUOTE="Mr_Splosher"]Every game is a piece of art, just some of those pieces of art are better than others.AGMing
i dunno i wouldn't consider games like KZ, burnout, Battlefield, infamous etc art they are just games.

What about those games isn't art though? inFamous and Killzone 2 have well written stories--Writing is considered art. All three of those involved a large amount of drawing and animation--That's art to me. The concept of writing code is art in my opinion; I can't write game code, can you? There were moments in all 3 of those games where I stopped what I was doing, looked around, and said "Damn that looks good". All 3 of those games have garnered an emotional response of some sort be it getting pissed off at Rico being a dumbass, unlocking a new car, or the entirety of inFamous. I could go on, but I don't think it's necessary. Games=Art.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I consider all games art. I can't think of a single game that I WOULDN't consider art.

hxczuner

Oh c'mon... there are PLENTY. There was that game that you chased down terrorists, and you had a fist fight with Osama BenLauden a few years ago, with a bunch of flag-waving BS draped over it...

:lol:

... but I know what you meant.

For me, it's definitely "Beyond Good & Evil", the perfect game. I also think that "Etermal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem" is unsurpassed in artistic expression, the finest survival horror game ever programmed.

Though I didn't care for the game all that much, "BioShock" was a graphicly wonderful game too. I just didn't care for what they did with that beauty, is all.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 frostybanana

[QUOTE="hxczuner"]

MonkeySpot

Oh c'mon... there are PLENTY. There was that game that you chased down terrorists, and you had a fist fight with Osama BenLauden a few years ago, with a bunch of flag-waving BS draped over it...

For me, it's definitely "Beyond Good & Evil", the perfect game. I also think that "Etermal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem" is unsurpassed in artistic expression, the finest survival horror game ever programmed.

Though I didn't care for the game all that much, "BioShock" was a graphicly wonderful game too. I just didn't care for what they did with that beauty, is all.

it's pretty much subjective as to whether something is a piece of art. one thing might be a piece of crap to one person and godly to another. art is ambiguous.

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Guaracy-
Member since 2010 • 653 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_Splosher"]Every game is a piece of art, just some of those pieces of art are better than others.AGMing

Killzone 2 isn't art? Are you for real? Just look at the games' visual fidelity. The animations, voice acting, the believable war and universe they've created, cinematic gameplay... Any game is art. Just like any movie is art. A game like Counter Strike, which has no story, terrible graphics and just really downright gamey is still art. Just like a movie like Shoot'em Up is still art.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="hxczuner"]

frostybanana

it's pretty much subjective as to whether something is a piece of art. one thing might be a piece of crap to one person and godly to another. art is ambiguous.

True, but I think we can all agree that punching Osama in the face... it's expression, sure... but art? I'll support Robert Maplethorp puting a bullwhip handle-first up someone's backside and taking a picture of it... but punching Osama?

:?

I'm just not ready to elevate that sort of irrational, blind, ethnocentrichatred to consideration as art... glad you like it, but I just can't. Especially because in the US, video games are getting put on trial again and value judgements from outside will be directly effected by representation from within. We need to show the governing body that games indeed ARE artistic and that they deserve to be protected under the Constitution.

So let's not bring up "Postal", shall we?

I'm with you, everything should be protected to say what they wanna say, and art IS about interpretation by the individual... but you see my point, do you not?

:)

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

True, but I think we can all agree that punching Osama in the face... it's expression, sure... but art? I'll support Robert Maplethorp puting a bullwhip handle-first up someone's backside and taking a picture of it... but punching Osama?

:?

I'm just not ready to elevate that sort of irrational, blind, ethnocentrichatred to consideration as art... glad you like it, but I just can't. Especially because in the US, video games are getting put on trial again and value judgements from outside will be directly effected by representation from within. We need to show the governing body that games indeed ARE artistic and that they deserve to be protected under the Constitution.

So let's not bring up "Postal", shall we?

I'm with you, everything should be protected to say what they wanna say, and art IS about interpretation by the individual... but you see my point, do you not?

:)

I see your point, yes. But I'm sure there is someone out there who considers that art. Perhaps someone who's overly patriotic for instance.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts
Every game is a piece of art, just some of those pieces of art are better than others.Mr_Splosher
This.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I consider Assassin's Creed II very artistic.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

Bioshock, Resident Evil 1,2, and 4, Silent Hill 1-3, Shenmue, Super Mario 1,2,3, World, and 64, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, and Parasite Eve are all games that have had an impact on my life and sucked me into their worlds. I consider them to be the "Art" that I am interested in.

Strictly PS3 would be Bioshock, Uncharted 1&2, Bayonetta, and inFamous.

Really though, any game can be considered art. One mans trash is anothers treasure.

Hailfire704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hailfire704
Member since 2009 • 729 Posts

I liked Game Informer's argument for why Mass Effect 2 is art; the fact that you get attached to the characters, bond with them, gain or lose their loyalty, and at the end any of them can die based on the decisions of the player. The quality of writing that makes you form bonds with the characters is (to me) what makes Mass Effect 2 (and for that matter a part of movies, books, and comics) art.

director13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 director13
Member since 2004 • 1677 Posts

bump

dazman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 dazman31
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts

Okami

alien100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alien100000
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts

Metal Gear Solid Series. Great gameplay mixed with amazing storytelling. People complain and say it is just a movie but if you think about it that way you won't see the beuty of it. The story it tells is better than most movies out there. Also Bioshock 1 and 2, these are the only games that have emotionally impacted me in any way. I see them not only as art, but as Masterpieces.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

I consider videogames (in general) to be an art form.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Braid. We need more games like it.

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts
Personally, I pick Chrono Trigger. But with the PS3 in mind, it would be stuff like Linger In The Shadows, Flower, and many others
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts

Bioshock for me. The story and presentation was amazing.

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

The entire Metal Gear Solid series, Shadow of Collosus, ICO, Heavy Rain, and Final Fantasy VII

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

I'd say MANY games are art. However, I consider Heavenly Sword to be the most artistic to my eyes, not my favorite game (even though it's somewhere in the top) but the style in it from graphics to gameplay to story is very artistic.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
In my opinion, I consider no games to be art. Video games are entertainment, nothing more. If a video game is too busy trying to be evocative and not being entertaining, then it's failed as a video game. That being said, they can be beautiful and unique, which may add to the entertainment factor. However, playing video games for the "art" factor alone is something I can't do.
txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

I consider all games a form of art. But, there is one game that truly shows artistic to me, and that's Okami.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
Demon's Souls
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

gta san andreas...it was just the perfect mold of everything wanted in gta.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I don't know WTF art is but if the mona lisa is considered art there is no video game that compares.
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hxczuner

gta san andreas...it was just the perfect mold of everything wanted in gta.

MURDA_B
This right here is a perfect example. How many other people consider Grand Theft Auto an artistic game? My guess would be not that many. Murda_B does. Everything is art to someone, but nothing is art to everyone. That's how art works everybody likes something but nobody likes everything.
Nexustras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nexustras
Member since 2005 • 568 Posts

games can be art coz they look good? lol..... u have to be kidding......

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

Assassins Creed 1 / 2. - Beautiful recreation of Italian Renassiance and The Third Crusade.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

I consider all video games works of art... some more desirable than others.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts
FlowerAGMing
Flower. One of the best games out there. Cant wait for "that game company"s next game; Journey.
dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
Anything Team Ico does. MGS, Final Fantasy, Brothers in Arms, Heavy Rain, Okami. Anything with a message/idea, great story telling, artistic visuals etc can be art. And good soundtracks. There are many more games that I'd consider art. BiA is one of the few FPS games I'd consider art, because of its realistic, gripping portrayal of WWII.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Videogames doesn't have to be a game like Flower, or Flow to be considered "ART." All videogames to me is an art form. When in early development, artists would have to come up with sketches, artwork, fully painted and colored for characters, level designs, settings, etc.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I definitely agree that shadow of the colossus is art. Its absolutely beautiful. Can't wait fot the last guardian

UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

I consider games that put a large focus on the story to be art, games like MGS4 and the Assassin's Creed series.

LethalEu4ia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LethalEu4ia
Member since 2009 • 314 Posts
I find Bioshock to be the best example of 'games as art'