What does camping (fps) really mean?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JeanAlex22
Member since 2011 • 307 Posts

Hey guys I just got a PS3 this Aug 6 and bought Killzone 2 . . . I just played online like 30 minutes ago and I had an absolute blast playing it . . . It's the first time I actually played online on any FPS game and I really expecting myself to get slaughtered the moment I entered but I actually did pretty well I think, In my first game I managed to get a KDR of like 12-15 on the second I game I played I got 44-16 . . . Now the play style I did on the first game was just keep moving and when I see an enemy kill it, simple I was always moving and I didn't know where I was actually going coz again, it was my first time, for the second game in a different map I switched my play style I basically stayed relatively closer to my home base compared to what I did in my first game and what I did was I just kept walking around looking through windows and hallways picking of enemies from afar scoring some headshots here and there . . . I managed to get a kill streak of 12 just by doing this . . . Now is this considered camping? Or is it considered fair?

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

I don't know the exact definition of camping in video games, if one even exists, but in my opinion, camping is when you pick a spot, corner of a map and just stay in that one spot without moving, only killing those who pass by. I don't think you were camping, just playing smart, but I've never played KZ so I don't know what the maps are like...regardless, who cares, as long as you have fun, do as you wish.

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts
^That. Most people who complain about camping are just whiners anyway.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I think camping with a sniper rifle is fine.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
Camping to me is when you hide in a corner and wait for an enemy to run past. Not when you have a position shooting out a window.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

I really don't think camping is even a reality, EXCEPT for when exploiting known spawn points, etc.

My point is that if you are a skilled gamer or FPS player, you will always find a superior way of dealing with and taking down your enemy.

I find camping is just what you will inevitably be called out for when you take down an inferior player with no game plan.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#7 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Camping is basically sitting by a doorway or in a corner out of sight and just waiting for someone to walk past for an easy kill. It's a sad and unfun way to play.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I was playing BF3 last night and I think I made a definiton of camping from that. There were two people staying in the same corner the whole game with LMGs and it was in an area that was not really flankable. Yeah, we managed to get them, but it was annoying that they were lone wolfing and camping. Though, what you're doing isn't camping, it seems to be more support, especially since snipers are really not meant to run around. These people were just sitting there and waiting for people to walk by. Sure, what you're doing can probably annoy people, but that's pretty much how a sniper should be played so you're not doing anything wrong.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I really don't think camping is even a reality, EXCEPT for when exploiting known spawn points, etc.

My point is that if you are a skilled gamer or FPS player, you will always find a superior way of dealing with and taking down your enemy.

I find camping is just what you will inevitably be called out for when you take down an inferior player with no game plan.

danjammer69

No it is definitely a reality. Usually people that resort to camping just don't know how to play, so they hide in a corner as a way to not get killed... they just hope they can pick off someone by shooting them in the back or something. It's not a strategic position like the OP had shooting out a window, it's literally just hiding in a corner and waiting for somebody to run by. I don't really hold that against them as I'm sure everyone probably did that a little when first trying to get the feel for playing FPS's.

However sometimes "decent" players will camp a stairway and lamely shoot RPGS or some other instant kill weapon. Everybody probably does that once in awhile, but I know there are people that usually spend an entire match doing that (and sometimes they even go back to the same spot over and over again). Usually you can root them out after realizing where they are camping, but sometimes their spot is so good that it's hard to clean them out even if you know where they are. Usually if a camper kills me twice I will change classes and make sure to just blast all the RPG's and grenades into the spot where I know they are hiding. That usually takes care of it:lol:

My favorite move in BF3 when someone does that, is to just C4 the whole building and get Destruction 2.0 kills.:lol:

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

Nice jet kills jammer

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Hiding in a dark corner and kill innocent bystanders. Or enemies.
RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts
Camping - Any play-style that involves staying in one area for prolonged periods of time and waiting for other players, rather than moving around and searching for enemies. Team Fortress 2 definition for Camping - When a Engineer sets up a turret to kill any player that dares to cross his path, starts making lunch, and plays his guitar to pass the time.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I pretty much agree with what previous users have said defining camping. As far as being fair, there is no being "fair" in online shooters. People will be as cheap as possible to benefit themselves, which is understandable. And then there's the fact that it's a video game and there's literally nothing at stake. I was once really into online competitive shooters, but it became much too frustrating and repetitive. The kill kill kill level level level unlock unlock unlock cycles eventually failed to keep my interest. And to be honest, I was quite guilty at being cheap at times, especially in Call of Duty. I didn't have a high K/D ratio because of "skill", I'll say that much. Anyway, in my opinion, I say do whatever the hell you want. Just enjoy the game. You might eventually hate online games like I do eventually, so have fun with them while it last.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Camping is basically sitting by a doorway or in a corner out of sight and just waiting for someone to walk past for an easy kill. It's a sad and unfun way to play.

Venom_Raptor

To add to this post, it's sitting in tight and waiting for runners, yes, but it's also staying in that area and exploiting it for the whole game. CoD has made the Rush (running all the time, NEVER sitting still) a thing, and a lot of gamers get pissed when you don't play the game the exact way they do... Which is BS, honestly. They are "Mad Bro" because someone is exploiting their A.D.D. style of play.

See, I think, if you have more caution and don't join in the Rush, it's simply playing the game the same way a soldier would perform his duty. NO grunt in the real armed forces just runs around the hills of Afgahnistan, right?

This is why I liked games like "SOCOM II" back in the day, you could play a match where there's no respawn, and that one life you have is more precious. It takes the Rush tactic out of the game.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Camping is an effective strategy to do well and get a high KD used by good gamers. All these good gamers realized that all the noobs could copy the pros and start camping too rather than just aimlessly sprinting around, so the good gamers came up with an idea. They all started saying camping is for noobs and spreading the hatred of camping everywhere. Now camping is completely hated in FPSes so us good gamers can have it all for ourselves. People who complain about camping are just noob rushers who sprint around the map and lose every match.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Venom_Raptor

Camping is an effective strategy to do well and get a high KD used by good gamers. All these good gamers realized that all the noobs could copy the pros and start camping too rather than just aimlessly sprinting around, so the good gamers came up with an idea. They all started saying camping is for noobs and spreading the hatred of camping everywhere. Now camping is completely hated in FPSes so us good gamers can have it all for ourselves. People who complain about camping are just noob rushers who sprint around the map and lose every match.

StealthMonkey4

Before MW2 became infested with hackers, I always kept on the move and usually had a very good K/D ratio at the end of a match. Camping takes no skill, whilst moving around the map does because you require decent reflexes and accuracy. A 5 year old could effectively camp if told to press a button when someone walks into view...

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

Venom_Raptor

Before MW2 became infested with hackers, I always kept on the move and usually had a very good K/D ratio at the end of a match. Camping takes no skill, whilst moving around the map does because you require decent reflexes and accuracy. A 5 year old could effectively camp if told to press a button when someone walks into view...

You've obviously never camped if you think that.

Danituga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Danituga
Member since 2009 • 561 Posts
for me camping is when you mount a tend and be in it for the rest of the game. Protecting an area like going to one side and then the other and keep repeting this I don't think that's camping. Camping is when you are at the corner, crouching, praying for anyone pass that corner and killing that player and don't move a single inch...that's camping
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StealthMonkey4

for me camping is when you mount a tend and be in it for the rest of the game. Protecting an area like going to one side and then the other and keep repeting this I don't think that's camping. Camping is when you are at the corner, crouching, praying for anyone pass that corner and killing that player and don't move a single inch...that's campingDanituga

That's just one type of camping, corner camping.

Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

My interpretation of camping is hiding round a corner with an SMG waiting for people to just walk by. When people say "camping with a sniper rifle", that's not camping, that's playing a snipers role, from a distance at least.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

It's been explained well enough on here but I also think of it as a term kids use when they are shamefully defeated. In CoD, I can't stand staying at one spot for a set time but I have countless messages accusing me of camping.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

StealthMonkey4

Obvious troll is obvious. Stay back everyone, don't feed the troll.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

Justforvisit

Obvious troll is obvious. Stay back everyone, don't feed the troll.

Almost every decent player does some form of camping. Controlling an area of the map is camping, Headglitching a spot is camping, holding down a high traffic area is camping, camping in a corner is camping. Rushing is just for inexperienced ADD 12 year olds who don't comprehend how to play.

araksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 araksik
Member since 2009 • 537 Posts

When most people refer to camping, they mean the lame, slick ways to get some easy kills. Such as lying down in a completely random spot, waiting for an enemy to pass by. However, defending bombs or spots is not being lame, but playing properly. Difference is, when camping in a random spot just to get easy kills, people will not expect you to be there, but you will most likely not help your team to victory unless it's a team deathmatch. Another reason why the game mode TDM is not used in esports.

Dr-Strangelove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dr-Strangelove
Member since 2005 • 811 Posts

When most people refer to camping, they mean the lame, slick ways to get some easy kills. Such as lying down in a completely random spot, waiting for an enemy to pass by. However, defending bombs or spots is not being lame, but playing properly. Difference is, when camping in a random spot just to get easy kills, people will not expect you to be there, but you will most likely not help your team to victory unless it's a team deathmatch. Another reason why the game mode TDM is not used in esports.

araksik
The thing I hate about game modes like capture the flag or defending bomb sites / bombing a location is that many of the players on either team just farm kills. The team defending obviously doesn't have a reason to run up to the bomb or more from their hidden positions; but the team that has to bomb a site will often have the majority of their team doing the same. 1 or 2 people will try over the course of the match while everyone else treats it like a TDM.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Venom_Raptor

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

StealthMonkey4

I was good enough not to camp. Plus camping is boring, and by nature I'm not a patient person to sit and wait.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts
Thought Camping was just when you shoot someone when they appear at a spawn point for kills?h
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

Venom_Raptor

I was good enough not to camp. Plus camping is boring, and by nature I'm not a patient person to sit and wait.

Then you can't say camping requires no skill if you never do it. I camp every game and do well, it's not just only negative KD noobs who camp.

araksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 araksik
Member since 2009 • 537 Posts

[QUOTE="araksik"]

Dr-Strangelove

The thing I hate about game modes like capture the flag or defending bomb sites / bombing a location is that many of the players on either team just farm kills. The team defending obviously doesn't have a reason to run up to the bomb or more from their hidden positions; but the team that has to bomb a site will often have the majority of their team doing the same. 1 or 2 people will try over the course of the match while everyone else treats it like a TDM.

Haha, yep. That's because you can't really have tactics when playing public matches. You have to have a proper team that communicates, doing coordinated tactics that already have been prepped before the match. I rarely play public matches, but I mostly join TDM when I do.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Venom_Raptor

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

StealthMonkey4

Then you can't say camping requires no skill if you never do it. I camp every game and do well, it's not just only negative KD noobs who camp.

People like you are the reason I despise and refuse to play multiplayer. You are a noob. Of course you do well, because no one stands a chance against your lame "tactics".

Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

Thought Camping was just when you shoot someone when they appear at a spawn point for kills?hAustralianpope

That's spawn killing, which is annoying as hell. Camping (in my eyes) is crouching / going prone round a corner in a popular through route, and killing people as they walk past.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

camping = lame

run'gunning = fun

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="araksik"]

Dr-Strangelove

This is SO damn true. And so damn sad ._.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

Venom_Raptor

People like you are the reason I despise and refuse to play multiplayer. You are a noob. Of course you do well, because no one stands a chance against your lame "tactics".

How am I any less of a noob if I just sprint around the whole game? Camping is just as much a tactic as rushing is, and even a better tactic IMO, especially in CoD where there is killstreaks. I don't just sit in a dark corner the whole match with a heartbeat sensor, those guys are noobs who are just too scared to play. I've gone 30-0, 30-1, 30-2 plenty of times in FFA in MW3, and I camp (or hold down an area if that makes you feel better); I throw down my portable radar, use portable radar for those without assassin and Sitrep Pro to soundwhore those with assassin, and I just mow down enemies with the extremely OP PP90 with rapid fire and extended mags. I have to constantly defend all entrances to my area, I have to have good aim, I have to know the best spots, and I have to move when there is no traffic, etc. It requires much more skill than blindly sprinting around.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

camping is when you stay in the same spot or area for more than 2minutes...

sometgimes you have to camp when the lobby gets too frantic...sometimes its the only way to get a killstreak or MOAB(CoD).

i believe camping takes some skill also because i have tried to do it and i never last more than 5sec before i get killed.

anyway...usually campers are easy kills so i dont get too mad.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

defensive players=campers....you don't like being called a camper,then stop playing defensively...or stop caring that people call you a camper...

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Venom_Raptor

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

StealthMonkey4

How am I any less of a noob if I just sprint around the whole game? Camping is just as much a tactic as rushing is, and even a better tactic IMO, especially in CoD where there is killstreaks. I don't just sit in a dark corner the whole match with a heartbeat sensor, those guys are noobs who are just too scared to play. I've gone 30-0, 30-1, 30-2 plenty of times in FFA in MW3, and I camp (or hold down an area if that makes you feel better); I throw down my portable radar, use portable radar for those without assassin and Sitrep Pro to soundwhore those with assassin, and I just mow down enemies with the extremely OP PP90 with rapid fire and extended mags. I have to constantly defend all entrances to my area, I have to have good aim, I have to know the best spots, and I have to move when there is no traffic, etc. It requires much more skill than blindly sprinting around.

Blindly sprinting around refers mostly to the annoying people that go around with infinite sprint and like knife jumping. That's also painful to endure, and something I never did. I could rack up a satisfying K/D ratio without having to hide or "defend". Either way, I'm glad I don't like multiplayer, single player is whats worth playing in any game (including Call of Duty despite the length).

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I don't play FPS anymore but I never got angry at campers. If you're on a team it should only take a few seconds to say I got killed in this spot by someone hiding in this spot. Everyone should then know about that person and plan accordingly. There are ways to counter that tactic and if you don't I think thats your fault.

foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

camping as a real life soldier could save your life

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

^That. Most people who complain about camping are just whiners anyway.red12355

:cry:

Avatar image for bostadskontrakt
bostadskontrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 bostadskontrakt
Member since 2008 • 387 Posts

It's a tactic like any other. People who complain about camping are whiners that don't understand how to adapt. "Oh boohoo you didn't kill me the way I wanted you to, not fair boohoooo hulk hulk"

However, it is annoying when you see teammates camping for kills when the mission objective is to move ahead and cap a point or something. If they are not interested in helping the team reach the objective they should go play deathmatch mode instead and camp all they want there. Fine with me.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#42 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Camping is basically when you decide to hide behind a crate in an FPS and wait for someone to run past and kill them. Instead of working with your team or moving around the map you hide in a position that give you an advantage. You can hear and often see your enemy and you can take them out without them even knowing your there. I should also note that with kill cams in most games now camping is harder to do. If you stay in the same area, the person that you killed knows where you are.