What do you have to be to be considered Hardcore gamer?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sdwhitby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sdwhitby
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts
i was just thinking being classed a Hardcore gamer whats the main element of it i mean is it buying every game or just being good at them or is it something else?
falconzss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 falconzss
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts
that's in fact a good question. i think having a huge library of game titles doesn't make a hardcore gamer. there are people out there having only a decent number of games but playing them for hundreds of hours (like some RPG's and so on) until they have got everything the game has to offer. i consider those people as hardcore gamer. that's of course just my personal definition.
donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts
To me, it's not what you play but how much. If you play alot of different games and your playing all the time your pretty hardcore if you ask me.
deuce85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deuce85
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

To me, it's not what you play but how much. If you play alot of different games and your playing all the time your pretty hardcore if you ask me.donnygorgas

QFT

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
Depends how many time you play AND AND how wide is the type of games you play. Just playing FPS doesn't make you hardcore
Toast_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toast_Boy
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts

Depends how many time you play AND AND how wide is the type of games you play. Just playing FPS doesn't make you hardcorerogerjak

It might make you a hardcore FPS player, however.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogerjak

[QUOTE="rogerjak"]Depends how many time you play AND AND how wide is the type of games you play. Just playing FPS doesn't make you hardcoreToast_Boy

It might make you a hardcore FPS player, however.

lol. yes it would but Not a Hardcore Gamer
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
hardcore means divrent things to divrent people, it has long lost any meaning on these boards.
GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts

To me, it's just how much you play video games. Notice games is plural. Also, being very good at just one good game isn't enough to be considered a 'hardcore gamer' I think. Some really know how to play one game very good (some just buy a video game console just to play Madden, NCAA, Halo, or some game with Mario in it).

For me to see someone as a hardcore gamer they have to currently own several titles that aren't popular to 'non-gamers' (but amongst us gamers) and have spent a great deal of time playing those titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

hardcore means divrent things to divrent people, it has long lost any meaning on these boards.hot114

True.

falconzss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 falconzss
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

To me, it's just how much you play video games. Notice games is plural. Also, being very good at just one good game isn't enough to be considered a 'hardcore gamer' I think. Some really know how to play one game very good (some just buy a video game console just to play Madden, NCAA, Halo, or some game with Mario in it).

For me to see someone as a hardcore gamer they have to currently own several titles that aren't popular to 'non-gamers' (but amongst us gamers) and have spent a great deal of time playing those titles.

GEMINIVice

well i like your definition. sounds quite reasonable.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rogerjak
Lets just say that an Hardcore gamer is born to play games. He as a natural talent to play any game.
FendersONLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 FendersONLY
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts
you have to be that one really smelly kid in school that nobody talks to, and when you do talk to someone its only about how you can get 100 percent on "Through the Fire and the Flames", on Guitar Hero III on Expert. trust me, this kid in my high school is doing it for the talent show... sad
brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

A hard-core gamer falls into a few catagories (IMO)...

1) someone who (like me) plays games on practically every console system or PC, not just from start to finish. But searches every level, and finds every possible secret without the aid of a game guide (walk throughs may or may not count), or cheat code, or friend who already played that level/area.

2) someone who finds all weapons, power-ups , and bonuses and will not leave a level/area until ALL enemies have been eleminated.

3) Someone who practically perfected the art of killing in several different games (i.e Unreal, Halo online) and shows no mercy when he kills you for the 7th freaking time in a row.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

What do you need??

That's easy: you need money, lots of money, so you can buy each console, tons of games for those consoles and not to worry about working but only playing games.

trenno2529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trenno2529
Member since 2007 • 3396 Posts

What do you need??

That's easy: you need money, lots of money, so you can buy each console, tons of games for those consoles and not to worry about working but only playing games.

GreenGoblin2099

that's the thing i hate. so many games, so little money.

JaySin8706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JaySin8706
Member since 2007 • 244 Posts
it is not how much you play or how good you are. it is how much money you spend on games. The gaming industry probably looks at it hardcore gamers this way. For me, the line between hardcore and casual gamer is the person who lets gaming interfer with the other things life has to offer or gaming getting in the way of your responsiblities. But everyone proabably has differing views on "how" hardcore of a gamer a person is.
Akush47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Akush47
Member since 2005 • 1611 Posts
hard core gamers would have all their system n games that they bought!!!
sa10kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sa10kun
Member since 2007 • 4290 Posts
Hardcore gamers punch themselves in the balls when they lose a match. If they are the lowest scorer they break their own fingers.
donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts

Buying games and multiple consoles doesn't make you hardcore. You could buy every game out for this current gen and I still wouldn't consider you hardcore unless you actually played them.

94thmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 94thmp
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts

it means paying for games when you should be paying for rent

it means stealing the last nintendo wii out of a little boys hands at the store.

it means playing games until your thumbs bleed and your eyes swell shut.

it means telling your boss that you have the flu so you can put in some an 8 hour session of gaming at home in your boxers.

it means telling your wife that you forgot valentines day because you were to busy playing video games.

it means telling the level 60 Battle Dwarf on World of Warcraft that your not scared of short people.

it means that you waste countless hours reading stupid responses to questions on video game disscussion boards.

IppotheFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IppotheFighter
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts

My hardcore collection:

part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXGhmWfoMiE

Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxU4Q9JHuYE

davidtheripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 davidtheripper
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I think Majority of those who have posted have the right idea on what a Hardcore gamer is.

In My Xp with gaming, Both online and offline, Multi and Single, ive come to see certain qualities in players which to me resembles Hardcore.

A) Excels at Different aspects of the game(s) [Singe and Multi, PVE and PVP]
B) Has a great sense of Strategy for levels, maps, and Char builds [He knows what to do when and how].
C) Willingness to share/teach his knowledge to others via Forums [GameFAQ's], Guilds/Parites, or via Ingame.
D) Is well Diverse in most types of gaming Structures [RPG, FPS, RTS, Action, etc]
E) A Player who you admire and want to be just as good, if not Better, than Him/Her.

But this is from MY XP as a gamer, and although IMO, a Hardcore gamer would have 2 or more Gaming Platforms [PC, PS3, Wii, XBOX, etc] its not, in my book, required.

Hardcore = Being the best at what YOU Love.

Cheers

qwertyuiop603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 qwertyuiop603
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

a hardcore gamer to me is someone who is obsessed with video games plays them all the time and those who overclock and build their own pc's(or get a decent xps or alienware) and dont play console games much because there are no good rts games on it and to get the BEST performance and graphics possible :P 2560x1600 wins over 1920x1080 anyday and you dont have to stay stuck with the same stupid hardware for 5 years before the company sends out a new system you can upgrade every couple of months if youv got the cash and the obsession(or just the obsession if you dont have the cash) hence force the only way a console gamer can get hardcore in any way is by getting fit with the wii! and btw being hardcore isnt screaming on xbox live with your annoying pre pubescent voice which is another reason i dont consider console gamers hardcore exspecially since i can play a pc game online with hardly any if at all those kinds of children.

Lou_Menace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#25 Lou_Menace
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

I as well think it is how much you play as opposed to the quantity of games. About 18 hours straight playin' Breath Of Fire 3...If that's not hardcore...I don't know what is.

Oh...and fits of rage that result in blackouts after losing in a heated game...that's pretty hardcore too.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts

[QUOTE="hot114"]hardcore means divrent things to divrent people, it has long lost any meaning on these boards.theycallmeryan

True.

lol, "divrent"
Lou_Menace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lou_Menace
NICE!
Lou_Menace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lou_Menace
NICE!
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
What do you have to be? I dunno... overweight?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I think part of being a hardcore gamer has to do with obssesion. Just like a basketball player is obssesed with playing basketball, and practicing all day, and he's great at what he does. You know you're hardcore when you play any genre, any game that is decent to superb, you spent countless hours playing games in one sitting, you read and write blogs about games, read previews, reviews, and try demos. You're on the forums posting threads and responding to others. You have the mega setup for gaming at home. It doesnt necessarily mean you have a huge collection but a very impressive one to say the least. You read content for story and background about your characters origins as well as the memorable settings in the games. And you enjoy some good multiplayer fun online, and basically kick butt always landing in the top 3 ranks, because you're hardcore like that. A hardcore gamer, has to be competitive. Relentless, addicted, and has a passion for video games. Some people are born to play video games. They love it, like people love music, or sports. You just know it when you look around and there are people who have no care in the world for games, and you're like what, how? Because you absolutely enjoy it. They go back and play video games they've completed because they're still excited about the game and for achievements. They go back and replay the game to beat it on a more difficult setting. This is just my definition of a hardcore gamer. There are several ways to describe a hardcore gamer.
petch117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 petch117
Member since 2005 • 267 Posts
i just think if you play a wide varity of games and play them a significant amount of time would be considered hardcore.
LAboy06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 LAboy06
Member since 2006 • 2445 Posts

I'm a hardcore gamer because I am a gamer that listens to hardcore music!

lol

But seriously I think it all depends on how long, and how much you play.

cheez-it_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 cheez-it_kid
Member since 2008 • 702 Posts

Buying games and multiple consoles doesn't make you hardcore. You could buy every game out for this current gen and I still wouldn't consider you hardcore unless you actually played them.

donnygorgas

Or good at them, I dont consider someone a hardcore gamer if they suck at the games they own. Like if your friend plays a bunch of games and you go over and face him but win everytime, he would not be considered hardcore to me. I thinks its all about how you play the game.

madsmokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madsmokey
Member since 2004 • 258 Posts
Beat devil may cry 3 on dante must die with all S's. You will then graduate from a normal gamer to a hardcore gamer.
rpgfreak15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rpgfreak15
Member since 2004 • 759 Posts
Well i plugged in over 100 ingame days of WoW over 2 years (2400+ hours). I USED to be a hardcore WoW player, now i'm safe and sound and a casual gamer. I guess the definition of being a hardcore gamer is spending 40+ hours per week playing video games.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#36 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

Knowing what games are actually crap and not trying to defend the blatant-rip-off from God of War. Oh my, I just rambled off about Conan, didn't I?:)

Anyways, a hardcore GAMER is someone who doesn't simply say:

"This genre sucks." Why? Because unless they've played ALL of the games, then they have no say. Even sports games. (SSX anyone?) They've found a great game for all of the genres and doesn't HAVE to own a lot of games. I for one own only the best and refuse to own the sub-par. I want the best gaming experience. Either via storyline or gameplay.

Also, you don't skip the storyline the first time through and you don't replace the music with your own if it's supposed to be part of the experience. Doing those things make you scream out: "CASUAL gamer here!"

How many games you have is nothing.

dengel54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dengel54
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts
I think being a Hardcore gamer is having more hours of gaming a week than sleeping. You would know everything about all the systems and know about 85% of the games per systems. ohh and the biggest thing is that you have to be actually good at games too.
SOL1D_SNAKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SOL1D_SNAKE
Member since 2008 • 668 Posts
I think part of being a hardcore gamer has to do with obssesion. Just like a basketball player is obssesed with playing basketball, and practicing all day, and he's great at what he does. You know you're hardcore when you play any genre, any game that is decent to superb, you spent countless hours playing games in one sitting, you read and write blogs about games, read previews, reviews, and try demos. You're on the forums posting threads and responding to others. You have the mega setup for gaming at home. It doesnt necessarily mean you have a huge collection but a very impressive one to say the least. You read content for story and background about your characters origins as well as the memorable settings in the games. And you enjoy some good multiplayer fun online, and basically kick butt always landing in the top 3 ranks, because you're hardcore like that. A hardcore gamer, has to be competitive. Relentless, addicted, and has a passion for video games. Some people are born to play video games. They love it, like people love music, or sports. You just know it when you look around and there are people who have no care in the world for games, and you're like what, how? Because you absolutely enjoy it. They go back and play video games they've completed because they're still excited about the game and for achievements. They go back and replay the game to beat it on a more difficult setting. This is just my definition of a hardcore gamer. There are several ways to describe a hardcore gamer.Elann2008
That's pretty much the definitive explanation. I agree completely. To be honest, everything you posted is what I do all the time.
filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts

Hardcore gamer:someone who play into the wee hrs. of night and has nothing else better to do; being one of the top ranking players and has a library of many games and has bragging rights.

jakndaxter7223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#40 jakndaxter7223
Member since 2005 • 2101 Posts
my definition: if you play all main stream games that everyone, even nongamers know about, then you aint hardcore. But if you play lesser known games that are gamer's games and you play them a lot, then you are hardcore.
KrazyC18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KrazyC18
Member since 2006 • 1535 Posts
you have to be that one really smelly kid in school that nobody talks to, and when you do talk to someone its only about how you can get 100 percent on "Through the Fire and the Flames", on Guitar Hero III on Expert. trust me, this kid in my high school is doing it for the talent show... sadFendersONLY
i can get 100% on that song in expert....:|......

Rofl jk :P i wish!
TrevCubsOr21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 TrevCubsOr21
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
hardcore means divrent things to divrent people, it has long lost any meaning on these boards.hot114
different* lol
Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts
This entire thread basically gave me the lulz.
J-Love1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 J-Love1986
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts
I would say someone who plays the game to complete everything it has to offer.. example.. an RPG, alot of gamers just do the storyline whilst "hardcore gamers" will go out of their way to get 'that' item, and complete all the side quests and mini games.. etc..
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
I guess being a "hardcore gamer" would mean video games are apart of your life and would still play and enjoy them no matter what age you are or what your situation is. Just buying every game you see makes you stupid with a lot of money. I guess you can say those are the "wannabe hardcore gamers". I guess I can say I'm a hardcore gamer, cause I've been playing since the Atari days and I still wouldn't stop even, when I turn 75. I buy the current systems that I want. I'm 28 now and still a gamer. I won't change my mind. Even in relationships I've had, I was still a gamer. Though, I'm not a stupid one. I know what it means to have a relationship and video games have never replaced it or cut into it. Also, I would never turn down sex for a game LOL
l3laZeX3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 l3laZeX3
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts
they would have to play tetris and pong all day and not a single other game
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
I would consider anyone who completes a game in one sitting hardcore, to me, a hardcore gamer is more like an addict, playing for many hours a day, needing to complete every game, instead of going out, and playing a sport, the hardcore gamer just plays games, and his friends are the same, when they meet up, it's to play games more. I know, mean definition, but, to me, a hardcore gamer is someone who has taken gaming a bit too far.
RanTanNuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RanTanNuo
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts
Hardcore gamer= Someone who enjoys playing video games and loves to read, write and talk about them. Just because someone plays 15hours a day doesnt mean they are hardcore. Its not the amount of time you put in but the satisfaction you bring out.
osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
Play games a LOT, be obsessed about games, play games that involve depth and complexity. You could theoretically be a hardcore gamer who only plays one game, but most hardcore gamers will have many games and spend a lot of money on them.
Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
I don't agree with the posts about playing a small selection of games a lot. I think you need to have the balance between several factors. You need to be able to play a bunch of games and play them fairly well and accumulate tons of hours. You can keep to one genre, that's fine - I have a friend who only plays RPGs, he has a huge stack of ps2 RPGs, beaten each one at least once and doesn't need strategy guides. Plus he plays a lot. You should be able to pickup a game, be pretty good right away, and quickly improve as you continue to play. You should have completed several games over your gaming years and play many hours. So, lots of hours and skill.