Weirdest Game Purchases You've Ever Made

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

There are those who strategically buy video games based upon personal enjoyment, tremendous amounts of research, and careful usage of an allotted budget to make sure that they have a carefully constructed and easily manageable collection of video games which all receive equal amounts of attention.

And then there are those who buy games for the weirdest reasons. This thread is for these people.

What are the strangest reasons or ways you've ever bought a video game? This can be either a situational thing that happened when buying it, or maybe a reason which is too strange to justify all too well. Post your stories!

• For me, I once passed out while I was on the computer. I don't know what happened, but when I woke up, I had apparently won Armored Core: For Answer on eBay and had vanilla pudding smeared on the computer monitor.
  • There was another time I bought Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater after buying Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. The reason? I just wanted to have all of the black label, original versions of all of the Metal Gear Solid games, and so Subsistence did not complete that collection and Snake Eater did.
  • I once traded my cowbell to a friend for an SNES and 8 games.
  • I bought Valkyrie Profile 2 at EB Games to get revenge on an employee who wanted to buy it when his shift was over.

Those are the only ones I can remember at the moment.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts
  • God of War 3 Ultimate Edition - Bought it only because it's a "special" edition. I have a soft spot for limited/special/collector editions of games.
  • Sakura War So Long, My Love - I honestly don't have much interest in the game, but I figured it could very well be the last PS2 RPG to make it overseas, so I got it.
  • Persona 3 - I already had Persona 3 FES, but I wanted the original version to complete my SMT collection. I also plan on buying Persona 2 Innocent Sin very soon to further enhance my SMT collection.
  • Bayonetta Climax Edition - Wanted the gun and other goodies. Paid 100 bucks to import it, and I'll probably never open it.
  • Record of Agarest War - Boobie mousepad...
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

I don't know if this counts but years ago I ordered the original Devil May Cry from amazon but when it arrived, it was the greatest hits version. I was irritated but i kept it and played it for a few days. However, i was irked by the red label of the box as the days went by and so went by gamestop and traded it in for the regular black labeled version. Let's just say that me and the counter guy had an awkward moment.

ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

On Ps3 - Blazing angles: secret missions of WW2. The title something like that. Played about 2 hours and got sick of it.

GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

I know a guy who bought NOBY NOBY BOY. He wins.

historyofmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 historyofmagic
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts
I bought Lair after it was reviewed. I had no interest in the game at all before, but I wanted to see how bad it sucked. It's important to waste money sometimes to support crappy titles; bad programmers have to eat too.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hazelnutman

GingerDeadMan
lol, I bought it. It's an awesome game, albeit a little pointless.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
  • Pokemon SoulSilver mainly for the pokewalker
  • Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix because it was on sale, so I was practically losing money by not buying it
  • Final Fantasy VII PSOne, even though I already had the PC version
  • Agarest: Generations of War, for the pretty girls
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#9 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Trine. Its a game I just could never see myself playing, next minute I bought it :P

Great game though :D

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Bought Blinx: The Time Sweeper and actually liked it.
superiorNilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 superiorNilly
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts

I don't know if this counts but years ago I ordered the original Devil May Cry from amazon but when it arrived, it was the greatest hits version. I was irritated but i kept it and played it for a few days. However, i was irked by the red label of the box as the days went by and so went by gamestop and traded it in for the regular black labeled version. Let's just say that me and the counter guy had an awkward moment.

parvie

This is great, I can just imagine the "awkward moment".

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I bought SOCOM just because it came with the official headset (no where sold them seperatly at the time) and then traded in the game without the headset in a store down the road a few minutes later.

I bought Noby Noby boy and have all the trophies! I also talked a mate into buying it saying it was the most addictive game ever. :D

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#13 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Mercenaries 2. I bought it from Gamestop, but the guy didn't want to give me the case. :| So I waited until the manager came and he made him give it tom me. :P

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

There are two situations that come to my mind.

Once I went to a store which had a 3 for 2 deal and I said to myself "well, let's see if those Sega games really suck that hard" and bought, together with Fallout 3, Golden Axe and the first Sonic title ... couldn't have wasted my money more >__>

Another situation was before I had a small party on my place. I went out to get Singstar Vol. 1 and bought it for an actually high price, just to find out it was the french version with a lot of french songs (I'm living in a bilangual part of Switzerland). In another shop I found Vol 2 in german for about half the price which somehow surprised me. Got it both with the micross, which leaves me with having 4 micros. Now there are wireless micros around and I'll guess I gotta get them for the next party xD

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
deactivated-5bb421ab1b937

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
Member since 2010 • 354 Posts

Only weird time was when I bought a PC game at the Dollar Tree back in 1998 or something.

It was some kind of SWAT game or something, were you enter a house and shoot some terrorists. I don't know, I never played it because I didn't have a computer. I bought it cus it was $1.

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

• Bought Vancover 2010 for $6 from a closing video store this weekend. Also got Lego Rock Band and Reflex : ATV and MX or whatever for $6 as well.

Could care less about any of those except Lego but it was a deal son! I should of bought everything they had but my wife would of punched me.

• Lets see waited outside of Gamestop while i sent my wife on a secret mission to get hanna montana for me. Nobody ever knew :)

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

I bought Super Street Fighter II HD Remix because I always sucked at fighting games but wanted to practice. I still suck.

I bought The Eye of Judgement because I wanted the PSEye but didn't want to wait 2 months to buy the peripheral alone.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Rumble Roses for the PS2, because it had sexy babes wrestling in it! Played it for about 5 minutes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
Member since 2004 • 1200 Posts
I bought Deadly Premonition simply because the videos showed the main character earning money (with a "ching!" sound) each time he defeated an enemy. It has turned out to be one of the best games I have ever played, no lie. I bought Tom Clancy's EndWar because my friend and I started communicating in military lingo ("Krrrrr... enemy unit north over...Krrrr") and I wanted to speak it and have something actually happen. I bought Bionic Commando because Steve Blum did the voice work for Super Joe.
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts

Hannah Montana the game cause she is LOVELY, like O.M.G:P

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
[QUOTE="TheXboxgamer73"]I bought Deadly Premonition simply because the videos showed the main character earning money (with a "ching!" sound) each time he defeated an enemy. It has turned out to be one of the best games I have ever played, no lie. I bought Tom Clancy's EndWar because my friend and I started communicating in military lingo ("Krrrrr... enemy unit north over...Krrrr") and I wanted to speak it and have something actually happen. I bought Bionic Commando because Steve Blum did the voice work for Super Joe.

You liked Deadly Premonition i thought it was just me, isn't that right Zach?
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Shellshock 2, i didn't know anything about it only the trailer and because it came out 2 weeks before America and had a offer on i brought it which isn't me i always research and the cover looked intriguing. Weird game suprisingly i still have it, significantly flawed but i somehow i enjoy it alittle
Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
Shellshock 2, vampire rain and deadly premonition. Wanted to see if they were all as bad as everyone said. They weren't. Shellshock 2 was decent...4/10 Vampire Rain was okay 5-6/10 and deadly premonition was awesome 8/10
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

I never buy used games, but I bought Mirror's Edge from a friend only because I saw that the spine was white and red and all the spines of my PS3 games at the time were some kind of grimey brown or black. It was rather unsightly.

If he wasn't offering it to me for such a low price, I would have just waited until sometime like now when it's super cheap, but I was able to finally break up the big black cluster of games on my shelf so I went for it.

Soon after I bought Orange Box, not because it had an orange spine, but I was pretty happy it did.

Avatar image for xYourSweet6669x
xYourSweet6669x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xYourSweet6669x
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

i was in EB games, they had Rock Rev on sale for 20$, and they had Rock Rev with a drumkit on sale for 10$, it made no sense to me so i bought the 10$ copy with the drum set, asked the manger if it was some kind of joke. he said no but the game sucks. bought it anyway, played one song and then threw out the drum set, still got the game tho lol.

FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

I bought at Best Buy last weekend the God Of War III ultimate edition for less than the going price due to being damaged. Which it actually wasn't that bad... just a slight nick on the bottom of Pandora's box and the actual box it came in was roughed pretty badly. But when I actually got it to my house I realized 1) I don't even have anywhere to actually display this thing, 2) do I really want to? If my parents come over they'll hink i'm into the occult or something and 3) heck I don't even really like God of War enough to even care to collect this special edition. I think the dang thing possessed me into buying it... or that girl working at Best Buy used some kind of voodoo woman mind trick on me. :P

david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Hannah Montana the game cause she is LOVELY, like O.M.G:P

GrandJury
Tell me you aren't serious? Are you? :P
sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

I bought two lightly scratched copies of Rock Band on special for $10 AU at Target, Took them next door to EB and got $25 AU each for them + 15% extra with my EB games Edge card and bought Red Steel 2.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#30 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

-Bought Fallout 3 thinking it would be a good multiplayer shooter I can play with my friends. Found out it was the best RPG ever made
-Went into Gamestop looking to buy Final Fantasy VII when I was younger (This was in 2004 when PS1 games were getting rare and a year or two shy when Gamestop stopped selling usedPS1 games altogether). By coincidence I overheard the salesclerk lady say to the other clerk that she had found a copy of Final Fantasy VII and was saving it for herself. A few moments later I asked her if they had Final Fantasy VII, and she immediately told me to look in the used games bin, so I did hoping there'd be another copy in there. While looking, she kindly admitted that she had a copy behind the counter, and let me have it. What a nice lady.
-When I was younger, I was looking to buy MGS3 Subsistence, but was a dollar short when I went to the counter. Called my mom to come give me the extra dollar. Went in to buy it, but couldn't because I was too young. Brought my mom in, and bought it. I was a dumb kid :lol:

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#31 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

-Also, bought a used copy of the Limited Edition of MGS4 primarily because of the box art. The regular box art for MGS4 sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#32 deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
Member since 2004 • 1200 Posts
[QUOTE="shadowkiller11"][QUOTE="TheXboxgamer73"]I bought Deadly Premonition simply because the videos showed the main character earning money (with a "ching!" sound) each time he defeated an enemy. It has turned out to be one of the best games I have ever played, no lie. I bought Tom Clancy's EndWar because my friend and I started communicating in military lingo ("Krrrrr... enemy unit north over...Krrrr") and I wanted to speak it and have something actually happen. I bought Bionic Commando because Steve Blum did the voice work for Super Joe.

You liked Deadly Premonition i thought it was just me, isn't that right Zach?

Totally dude. Sleeper hit of the year and amazing game overall. Probably the best $20 I have spent in a long time, isn't that right Zach?
jdiamnz69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 jdiamnz69
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

There are those who strategically buy video games based upon personal enjoyment, tremendous amounts of research, and careful usage of an allotted budget to make sure that they have a carefully constructed and easily manageable collection of video games which all receive equal amounts of attention.

And then there are those who buy games for the weirdest reasons. This thread is for these people.

What are the strangest reasons or ways you've ever bought a video game? This can be either a situational thing that happened when buying it, or maybe a reason which is too strange to justify all too well. Post your stories!

• For me, I once passed out while I was on the computer. I don't know what happened, but when I woke up, I had apparently won Armored Core: For Answer on eBay and had vanilla pudding smeared on the computer monitor.
  • There was another time I bought Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater after buying Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. The reason? I just wanted to have all of the black label, original versions of all of the Metal Gear Solid games, and so Subsistence did not complete that collection and Snake Eater did.
  • I once traded my cowbell to a friend for an SNES and 8 games.
  • I bought Valkyrie Profile 2 at EB Games to get revenge on an employee who wanted to buy it when his shift was over.

Those are the only ones I can remember at the moment.

hazelnutman

:lol: cowbell

Saints Row 2- Originally I had an xbox, and i purchased a special edition Saints Row 2, then I sold my Xbox. I still had the case, and I rebought the game for Ps3. I keep the regular ps3 game in the special Edition Case with the Xbox 360 Label. I swear too god.

Nba 09 the Inside- I sold the Disc to my friend for $2(He got ripped off that game ******* sucks) then we ripped it into Pieces. Pure Hatred for the stupid, stupid game.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts

GingerDeadMan
Really?? I win!?!? YES!
zephyr12192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zephyr12192
Member since 2007 • 179 Posts

Bought Dark Sector for like 10$.Honestly not that bad, but only played it for about 3 hours.

Also I never got into Dragon Age on ps3...graphics were too ugly and gameplay seemed like it would be better on pc.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
Definitely Linger in Shadows, I bought it on total impulse.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. I saw a trailer of it on a demo disc and had to have it. I don't think I looked up any reviews of it. I searched every store I could and after countless times of spelling out the title to the clerks I decided to buy it online,...accept I didn't have a creditcard at the time. I had to convince my dad to buy it and the price was like 63 dollars, that was 13 dollars over regular retail but I just had to have this game. The game is rated T but theres a picture of one of the sexy succubus on the cover and so I was hoping the whole time my mom wouldn't take a look at what my dad bought. I always kept the game hidden under my other games.

Trying to remember when this was, I think 2004.

ks1990steelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ks1990steelman
Member since 2009 • 1418 Posts
I bought EyePet first because I wanted a PS Eye and second because I found the little guy quite cute... :P
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
[QUOTE="jjivey"]

• Bought Vancover 2010 for $6 from a closing video store this weekend. Also got Lego Rock Band and Reflex : ATV and MX or whatever for $6 as well.

Could care less about any of those except Lego but it was a deal son! I should of bought everything they had but my wife would of punched me.

• Lets see waited outside of Gamestop while i sent my wife on a secret mission to get hanna montana for me. Nobody ever knew :)

*Looks at Sig* Ahh for the trophies >_> Aren't you the same guy who bought Terminator Salvation for the platinum :P Weirdest purchase for me would probably be Super Mario Galaxy, The reason I bought it isn't the weird thing. It's that I didn't really like it :O Nothing for PS3 though as I only have 2 games :/
jdiamnz69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 jdiamnz69
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

[QUOTE="jjivey"]

scar-hawk

*Looks at Sig* Ahh for the trophies >_> Aren't you the same guy who bought Terminator Salvation for the platinum :P Weirdest purchase for me would probably be Super Mario Galaxy, The reason I bought it isn't the weird thing. It's that I didn't really like it :O Nothing for PS3 though as I only have 2 games :/

Me too, effing hated galaxy.

Take Mario 64 over that any dayyy.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hazelnutman

Only weird time was when I bought a PC game at the Dollar Tree back in 1998 or something.

It was some kind of SWAT game or something, were you enter a house and shoot some terrorists. I don't know, I never played it because I didn't have a computer. I bought it cus it was $1.

SupaKoopaTroopa

DUDE, the SWAT games are awesome. If you got SWAT 4 for a buck, you are officially the luckiest guy in this thread! :P

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

I dunno about weirdest game purchases. But my more recent awkward moment was when I traded in my copy of Demon's Souls. I know I know, Game of the Year and all that, but it wasn't for me. Guy at Gamestop looked at me like I had three heads. He asked me why I was trading it in. All I said was "it wasn't for me", and he just went on and on of how its GotY and how its not hack and slash, I'm just like I know, I'm not an idiot, etc. It didn't dissuade my decision, but I seriously just wanted to punch that dude in the face. Just seriously stfu about what "you" like and let me like what I wanna like, you know? :P It's pompous jerks like that guy that just wants me to not deal with Gamestop anymore. they aren't the messiahs of gaming.

Anyways, thats more of a rant, but seeing this thread reminded me of that moment, lol :D

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

NCAA 2K3

I bought for a buck because I never knew that 2K did college football. I have yet to play it, it's been half a year...

Also I bough Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit at Garage Sale. I still have not played it either, and that was almost a year ago.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Mini Ninjas so I could hear the evil samurais shouting "Ni-nin-nin-ninjas!". Ended up really enjoying the game after all lol
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

A buddy of mine got into a car wreck and wanted some extra cash so he was selling boxes of PD games for cheap. I bought like 5 solely on the basis of there being a Tomb Raider game in there and then I realized like a year later when they were all still in the box that I hate PC games lol.Like 6 months after that I was reading an article on IGN about the best PC games of all time and almost all those games were on the list EXCEPT the Tomb Raider one so I gave most of them a try and loved them.

I don't know how much that counts but I just wanted to contribute since this thread is win.

inFamousLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 inFamousLemon
Member since 2010 • 218 Posts

I got mag special edition because it had a metal cover and 3 dynamic themes

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
I think there was a time when i bought a couple of games just becasue i didn't want to go home empty handed... too bad i can't recall the games nor my age at that point in time. time. And i'm pretty sure i bought a couple of RPGs when i was a teen just because they had girls with big ***s in them... but that's not weird... right? :| (Once again, I can't remember what those games were but i think they were for the PS2...)
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hazelnutman
I think there was a time when i bought a couple of games just becasue i didn't want to go home empty handed... too bad i can't recall the games nor my age at that point in time. time. And i'm pretty sure i bought a couple of RPGs when i was a teen just because they had girls with big ***s in them... but that's not weird... right? :| (Once again, I can't remember what those games were but i think they were for the PS2...)Rakuho
Boobs = perfectly justified purchase.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

[QUOTE="Rakuho"]I think there was a time when i bought a couple of games just becasue i didn't want to go home empty handed... too bad i can't recall the games nor my age at that point in time. time. And i'm pretty sure i bought a couple of RPGs when i was a teen just because they had girls with big ***s in them... but that's not weird... right? :| (Once again, I can't remember what those games were but i think they were for the PS2...)hazelnutman
Boobs = perfectly justified purchase.

*feels the weight of shame magically disapear* Thank you... for those healing words :cry: