Want to get MGS games before MGS4 comes out. Need help though

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
I was wondering what order you have to play the games in for the story to go right. Is it just 1, 2 then 3 and you get the story or do you play them in a different order. Also, what are the games that I need for the story. Is it 1, 2 then substiance or what. Any help is appreciated
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
MGS on PS1, then MGS2:Sons of Liberty on PS2, then MGS3: Snake Eater, (or Subsistence, they are both the same game but Subsistence has a different camera & some online modes, but they are the same game otherwise, no need to play both of them). All of them should work on your PS3 & should be played in that order to fully get the storyline.
sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 sniper_99
Member since 2004 • 2820 Posts

MGS on PS1, then MGS2:Sons of Liberty on PS2, then MGS3 Snake Eater, (or Subsistence, they are both the same game but Subsistence has a different camera & some online modes, but they are the same game otherwise). All of them should work on your PS3 & should be played in that order to fully get the sotryline.ColoradoKindBud

I'd recommend getting MGS3:Subsistence just because it includes Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2, and online has been taken out now

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Da_lil_PimP

[QUOTE="ColoradoKindBud"]MGS on PS1, then MGS2:Sons of Liberty on PS2, then MGS3 Snake Eater, (or Subsistence, they are both the same game but Subsistence has a different camera & some online modes, but they are the same game otherwise). All of them should work on your PS3 & should be played in that order to fully get the sotryline.sniper_99

I'd recommend getting MGS3:Subsistence just because it includes Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2, and online has been taken out now

So Subsistence has all the MGS games on the disc or are you pulling my leg?

sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sniper_99
no it just includes the original MSX games called Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, don't get confused with it being a "Solid" series lol they are a different game but have Snake as the main character still though
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

[QUOTE="ColoradoKindBud"]MGS on PS1, then MGS2:Sons of Liberty on PS2, then MGS3 Snake Eater, (or Subsistence, they are both the same game but Subsistence has a different camera & some online modes, but they are the same game otherwise). All of them should work on your PS3 & should be played in that order to fully get the sotryline.sniper_99

That would be fine too , but I hope that didn't confuse the topic creator.

The 2 Metal Gear games included in MGS3 Subsistence are very old games and they are not the same as the Metal Gear Solid games ( 1 and 2 ) that you must play.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Da_lil_PimP
[QUOTE="sniper_99"]

[QUOTE="ColoradoKindBud"]MGS on PS1, then MGS2:Sons of Liberty on PS2, then MGS3 Snake Eater, (or Subsistence, they are both the same game but Subsistence has a different camera & some online modes, but they are the same game otherwise). All of them should work on your PS3 & should be played in that order to fully get the sotryline.Nike_Air

That would be fine too , but I hope that didn't confuse the topic creator.

The 2 Metal Gear games included in MGS3 Subsistence are very old games and they are not the same as the Metal Gear Solid games ( 1 and 2 ) that you must play.

So if I just get Subsistence, I won't understand the story for MGS4 but if I get MGS, MGS Sons of Liberty and MGS Snake Eater, I will?

sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sniper_99

ok these are the games you need to play in order

Metal Gear 1, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 1, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3:Subsistence

Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence includes Metal Gear 1 AND 2 NOT "Solid" 1 and 2

biggamerhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10 biggamerhk
Member since 2006 • 1653 Posts
listen dude i just got Snake Eater and I was fine.
TheJihadJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheJihadJoe
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

Wikipedia - Metal Gear

for poor people lol

Well storyline wise it makes sense to play MGS3 then MGS then MGS2 THEN MGS4(when it comes out of course)

because i remember (back in the day) i only got into MG when MGS2 came out and they make A TON of references to Shadow Moses which happenes in MSG almost to the point where its impossible to know who alot of the characters are cuz it gets a bit confusin.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Da_lil_PimP

Metal Gear 1, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 1, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3:Subsistence

sniper_99

So what the difference between MG and MGS (im such on noob on these games :P)

sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sniper_99
[QUOTE="sniper_99"]

Da_lil_PimP

Metal Gear 1 takes place before Metal Gear Solid its the way the story works lol, when Snake was just fresh out of the oven

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Da_lil_PimP
[QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"][QUOTE="sniper_99"]

sniper_99

Metal Gear 1 takes place before Metal Gear Solid its the way the story works lol, when Snake was just fresh out of the oven

But do I actually need the Metal Gear games to get the story or if I just the the Metal Gear Solid games would I be fine?

TheJihadJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheJihadJoe
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

okay okay storyline wise it goes:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 1964 (Big Boss)

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - 1970 (Big Boss)

Metal Gear - 1995 (Solid Snake)

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - 1999 (Solid Snake)

Metal Gear Solid - 2005 (Solid Snake)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty - 2007 & 2009 (Solid Snake & Raiden)

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots - 2014 (Solid Snake & Raiden & ?)

Galaxybear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Galaxybear
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts
I would say you only need to play MGS 1 and 2 to understand 4, 3 is a prequel and though enlightening not neccissary for following the Solid Snake Storyline (hense Metal Gear Solid )but although MG 1 and 2 (for the NES ) are also about Solid Snake you really don't need to play them, heres a synopsis, Snake inflitrates an Army base and a series of events are almost unitelligeble due to bad translation, there is a huge nuclear tank called Metal Gear, Snake destroys it. Repeat, except this time Snake kills Big Boss.
killerwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 killerwog
Member since 2005 • 489 Posts

if you have a gamecube get metal gear solid twin snakes its basicly a remake of MGS1

Get MGS2 substance and then MGS 3 subsistence and if you have a PSP get metal gear solid Portable ops all this may cost allot but they are all worth it its a great seris hope you enjoy

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Da_lil_PimP
So if I just buy MGS 1, MGS2 Sons of Liberty and MGS3 Snake Eater, would I get the story for MGS4
miffywiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 miffywiffy
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
Buy MGS2 and MGS3 for PS2

Get MGS twin snakes for GC (it's the first one with better graphics)
Ju_Jus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ju_Jus
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
So if I just buy MGS 1, MGS2 Sons of Liberty and MGS3 Snake Eater, would I get the story for MGS4
Da_lil_PimP

Yes. I would recommend MGS3:SUBSISTANCE over Snake Eater. You'll find the new camera useful, and it also comes packed with some extra features. Good luck!
Marty_McFly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Marty_McFly_
Member since 2007 • 881 Posts
Shouldn't he be playing 3 first since that's what happens first in the storyline?
M1KES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 M1KES
Member since 2003 • 750 Posts

Shouldn't he be playing 3 first since that's what happens first in the storyline?Marty_McFly_

No, the game wasnt built that way. Although the game is the first one in the timeline it wasnt made to be the first played. If you play it first plenty of references will be lost and none of those "oh thats why" moments will happen

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts

OK here goes.... to get the story in chronological order play like this:

Metal Gear Solid 3 for PS2

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops for PSP

Metal Gear for NES

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for NES

Metal gear Solid for PSone

Metal gear Solid 2 for PS2

Metal gear Solid 4 for PS3

I have no idea how the Metal Gear Acids fit in to the timeline but I think they are somewhere in the Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Solid 2 area timeframe

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts
Noooooo do not play them like that you'll get super confused lol. But i'd do MGS1 MGS 2 and MGS 3 then if you have a PSP Portable OPS should fill in the sotry but most of the sotry lies in MGS 1 and 2 really.
aristicero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aristicero
Member since 2004 • 98 Posts

Play them in the correct order to understand the storyline correctly. The MGS games are big on story so you need to play them like this:

1)MGS1

2)MGS2

3)MGS3 

I think MGS2 has the most important story so pay special attention to this one because MGS4 is after this one (story wise).

MGS3 is a prequel but it's still worth playing to fully understand (and appreciate) the entire series' theme. 

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

All this talk of metal gear is making me want to play the orginal ps1 version of metal gear solid. I remember getting the demo and playing it over and over before the full game was released. Remeber the foot prints in the snow and the guard folling them? Classic moment in gaming.

I can't actually remember the story lines very well now....maybe I need to play them through again lol

ringbling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ringbling
Member since 2004 • 969 Posts
Just play them in the order they were released. You can get the special MGS 3 to play the very first two Metal Gear games, and then just play Solid 1, 2, and 3. The story happens different in relation to time as you play through them, but it's meant to be that way it makes it a ton more interesting to get the story in unorganized bits and pieces. These schlubs that will tell you a different order are just idiots and should not be listened to.
ringbling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ringbling
Member since 2004 • 969 Posts

OK here goes.... to get the story in chronological order play like this:

Metal Gear Solid 3 for PS2

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops for PSP

Metal Gear for NES

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for NES

Metal gear Solid for PSone

Metal gear Solid 2 for PS2

Metal gear Solid 4 for PS3

I have no idea how the Metal Gear Acids fit in to the timeline but I think they are somewhere in the Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Solid 2 area timeframe

ajefferism

See, like this guy - he doesn't know what he's talking about. You DO NOT play them in a different order than what they were released, it's just stupid. Would you read the last fairy potter book, then the first few, then the second to last?

sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sniper_99

if you have a gamecube get metal gear solid twin snakes its basicly a remake of MGS1

Get MGS2 substance and then MGS 3 subsistence and if you have a PSP get metal gear solid Portable ops all this may cost allot but they are all worth it its a great seris hope you enjoy

killerwog

NO! DO NOT BUY MGS: The Twin Snakes, IT HAS BAD VOICE ACTING AND MAKES SNAKE LOOK LIKE A SUPER HERO WITH ALL HIS FLASHY JUMPING STUNTS, yes I have played MGS: The Twin Snakes but overall it isn't as good as Metal Gear Solid for the PS1

anyways you don't HAVE to play Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2, you can read them at wikipedia.org if you wanted to

Avatar image for playstation_wii
playstation_wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 playstation_wii
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts
MGS on PS1, then MGS2:Sons of Liberty on PS2, then MGS3: Snake Eater, (or Subsistence, they are both the same game but Subsistence has a different camera & some online modes, but they are the same game otherwise, no need to play both of them). All of them should work on your PS3 & should be played in that order to fully get the storyline.ColoradoKindBud
Yeah, I'm going to replay them all.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

1mgs1 for ps1 OR mgs the twin snakes for gamecube which is a remake of mgs1

2 then mgs sons of liberty or substance (substance is kinda like a special edition it has some added features) both on ps2

3mgs 3 subsistence (snake eater is the same game but has less features and a different camera)

Marty_McFly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Marty_McFly_
Member since 2007 • 881 Posts

[QUOTE="Marty_McFly_"]Shouldn't he be playing 3 first since that's what happens first in the storyline?M1KES

No, the game wasnt built that way. Although the game is the first one in the timeline it wasnt made to be the first played. If you play it first plenty of references will be lost and none of those "oh thats why" moments will happen

Gotcha.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Da_lil_PimP
Thanks for the help guys. Once I start to play, hopefully it won't be this confusing :D
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Da_lil_PimP
Yes.