Video games you can learn from?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

Does anyone know of some games that you can actualy learn somthing about history? Im not talking an educational game. Just a game with a story based on a real historically time peroid. Im really just curiouse.

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

Red Dead, CoD4 to an extent.

nymets819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 nymets819
Member since 2007 • 5568 Posts

LA Noire

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Jeanne D' arc, one of my Favorite PSP games because actually was based on history.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

Through many games I learned how to survive a zombie Apocalypse.

jman1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jman1230
Member since 2008 • 265 Posts

The Assassin's Creed games to an extent.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed, LA Noire, Call of Duty or any other WWII shooter

araksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 araksik
Member since 2009 • 537 Posts

The Metal Gear series. A lot of the fictional events in the game are linked to real events, which you can learn a lot from, as long as you remember what is real and what is not:P

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scouttrooperbob

jman1230

Do me a favor and dont take any history facts from assassins creed not even to an extant. Many of them are false. Even the whole idea of the nights templar being bad is false.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
I learned from MW2 and you shoot an assault rifle going full auto and have no recoil. It's amazing how far we've progressed in firearms :roll:
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

[QUOTE="jman1230"]

scouttrooperbob

Do me a favor and dont take any history facts from assassins creed not even to an extant. Many of them are false. Even the whole idea of the nights templar being bad is false.

Arguable. The Knights Templar were involved in many evil things (and did many horrible things during the crusades.)
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 scouttrooperbob

[QUOTE="scouttrooperbob"]

[QUOTE="jman1230"]

kieranb2000

Arguable. The Knights Templar were involved in many evil things (and did many horrible things during the crusades.)

I wont argue that but its also important to take in to consideration that there are bad eggs in every group and also their enemies were 10 times worse. The majority of the templars were not that bad especially not as bad as Assassins creed makes them out to be. There is also the fact that the all of the nights templar were exicuted on Friday the 13th.

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 scouttrooperbob

I learned from MW2 and you shoot an assault rifle going full auto and have no recoil. It's amazing how far we've progressed in firearms :roll:anime_gamer007

Yeah ive also learned from call of duty that The army will extend my lung capacity for sniping, they can make me stronger for the first 10 seconds of the game.

bigbenrfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigbenrfan99
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

The Medal of Honor series has plenty of actual historical footage and a lot of historical details between missions.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I've learned that you've got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. Wait, that was Kenny Rogers...

blahsalt48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blahsalt48
Member since 2010 • 208 Posts

You said, "a game with a story based on a real historically time peroid." The assassins creed games fit that description. You didn`t specify that the story had to be historicly accurite. Uncharted 1&2 to some extent.
nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

Eternal Sonata gives you a great deal of info on Fredric Chopin's life also explains and plays some of his songs.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Eternal Sonata gives you a great deal of info on Fredric Chopin's life also explains and plays some of his songs.

nickz_fpk
Yep, the only game in this entire thread with any kind of historical accuracy. Another is Dynasty Warriors, but it's a niche title with a niche fanbase. If you can get past the fact that all the characters are heavily exaggerated to fit Japanese character archetypes and that you pretty much go through the entire game pressing one button (unless you're playing on chaos difficulty - who plays on normal anyway?), it's actually a pretty good sum up of the events of the Three Kingdoms era in China. It follows the novel pretty closely, especially the latest game, DW7.
MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MoNsTeR_zAcH
Member since 2011 • 523 Posts

CoD- No matter what time period you are in, don't get shot.

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 scouttrooperbob

blahsalt48

You said, "a game with a story based on a real historically time peroid." The assassins creed games fit that description. You didn`t specify that the story had to be historicly accurite. Uncharted 1&2 to some extent.

Oh... i see what your saying. I miss under stoo my own question :D

it defenantly is based on a real historical time period. I forgot that it is a pretty good rendition too. just the story thats a little screwed up, but then again it is a video game.

Man those quote tags are screwed up. im not even going to try to fix them

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

COD taught me how to reload a M60 machine gun.

MoNsTeR_zAcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MoNsTeR_zAcH
Member since 2011 • 523 Posts

COD taught me how to reload a M60 machine gun.

Kage1

8)

blahsalt48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blahsalt48
No biggie, just sorting out some potential confusion. That is what I do. I am the internet superhero. Crushing trolls and ending debates, even before they begin. They chose the templars, not because they are bad guys, but because they are good. They needed someone that the people were behind. If they chose historicly accurite bad guys the assassins job would be all to easy. They made them secretly evil, and good up front. I think Brotherhood is the first to have openly evil charactors. If I was part of a society who wanted to rule the world, I would need the people`s support. Would you be behind a horrable evil leader? Or would the people rise up against them? So they used good guys and asked themselves, "what if they were evil?"
Brittany5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Brittany5
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts

Assassin's Creed is an award-winning historical true-based third person, this game is a continuation of Ezio Auditore's story.

Mondrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mondrath
Member since 2007 • 314 Posts

[QUOTE="jman1230"]

scouttrooperbob

Oh don't be so sure mate. They were actually bad at one point, just not in the same way AC portrays it. And lets not forget that we have them to "thank" for the modern form of banking

djseebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 djseebee
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts

i got advantage from each game i played, my english languge is gettin better & learn alot of new words & phrases

homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 homeboylizard
Member since 2010 • 1289 Posts

Does anyone know of some games that you can actualy learn somthing about history? Im not talking an educational game. Just a game with a story based on a real historically time peroid. Im really just curiouse.

scouttrooperbob
Let's put it this way. Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood saved me from going to summer school for history.
defter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 defter23
Member since 2011 • 36 Posts

I improved my English.Also I learned a little Italian(Thanks to Assasin Creed)

manocanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 manocanada
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

God of War and Age of Mythology games helped me pass my mythology class :)

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts

[QUOTE="jman1230"]

scouttrooperbob

There's good and there's bad. Regardless of what side you are on the other guys will always be the bad guys. So it could be told from either side and either side could be considered the good guys by themselves. Not everyone would view a group of religious soldiers fighting for the church as the good guys.

Assassins Creed holds many historical locations and facts if you read the little annotations when you visit a new area. Is it 100% historically accurate? Of course not. I can't think of any games that are.

Avatar image for SonicTheChimera
SonicTheChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SonicTheChimera
Member since 2009 • 547 Posts

I learnt some stuff about nuclear weapons in the Metal gear series, especially in peace walker with the subject on artificial intelligence and nuclear deterrence.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
World at War, you learn a little bit of history, and where some battles took place and who won and those things, also the guns of those days as well.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="jman1230"]

ACx7

There's good and there's bad. Regardless of what side you are on the other guys will always be the bad guys. So it could be told from either side and either side could be considered the good guys by themselves. Not everyone would view a group of religious soldiers fighting for the church as the good guys.

Assassins Creed holds many historical locations and facts if you read the little annotations when you visit a new area. Is it 100% historically accurate? Of course not. I can't think of any games that are.

I agree AC is fairly good i guess, you learn or atleast can distinguish the famous buildings and where they are and what they were for back in the days, also a little bit of the Medici family and so on but yeah it's a fairytale story it just happens to have some history weaved in it.
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

jman1230

yes the games about a alien that tells you to kill your blonde girlfreind are realy historical, ecpecialy the whole templ;ar ordeal that was overblown to a massive exten, ayh religion in those times wer elike the root of all evil but everyone in them werent they play it oiff like that

blahsalt48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blahsalt48
[QUOTE="jsh020"]

[QUOTE="jman1230"]

yes the games about a alien that tells you to kill your blonde girlfreind are realy historical, ecpecialy the whole templ;ar ordeal that was overblown to a massive exten, ayh religion in those times wer elike the root of all evil but everyone in them werent they play it oiff like that

Did you read the other posts, or did you just find one that you didn`t agree with and start spouting stupidaty? How about the topic question itself? Did you read it, or just glance at it and assume you get what they are asking?
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

L.A Noire, if you're a murderer then you can learn how to evade the police.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

heavy rain, how to cut your own fingers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

heavy rain, how to cut your own fingers.

oajlu
That part is so scary :lol:
Avatar image for greensthooligan
greensthooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 greensthooligan
Member since 2008 • 426 Posts

although not on ps3.....

Age of Empire's (mainly 2 & 3) can teach you a stack of stuff about history.