[UPDATE] Killzone 2 Budget Over 40 MILLION!!!!

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 -oG-ShAdY
Member since 2006 • 1385 Posts

"There are more than 120 developers in the Netherlands working on the game at the moment. The new Killzone PS3 will be fully translated in 20 different languages. It is believed that the budget currently surpasses £20 million ($40million), which is comparable to a small-budget Hollywood picture and is the most expensive multimedia project in Holland's history, though this has yet to be confirmed. It will have downloadable content like other contemporary games, possibly in the form of episodic content."

This information was posted on a popular information webpage. Can you guess which one? Yeah that's right. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killzone_%28PlayStation_3%29

six_shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 six_shot
Member since 2007 • 1388 Posts
this is very old news btw, but dang 40 mil is a lot
mohit2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mohit2003
Member since 2003 • 669 Posts
Someone is going to get fired if they screw this game up now.
-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -oG-ShAdY

I'm sorry if this story has already been run but I wanted to hear what people thought.

Most great RPGs cost around 32+ million dollars (FFVII and FFVX), but Killzone (an FPS) has already drained 40 MILLION in development costs. That's crazy! Is the games story going to have 60 hours worth of gameplay or is that game just going to be FREAKIN' AWESOME LOOKING!?

/caps

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts

Someone is going to get fired if they screw this game up now.mohit2003

LMFAO dat made my day

Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 Vojkan80001
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts

Huge budget doesn't guarantee awesome or successful game. You can find on Youtube interview with Yu Suzuki where he confirms that Shenmue 2 budget was 70 million US $

Prinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Prinze
Member since 2003 • 4492 Posts
I have a strange feeling that this game is already 80% complete, but is being kept underwraps by Sony for a huge unveiling at E3. But yes, $40 million is a lot.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 G-Legend

Huge budget doesn't guarantee awesome or successful game. You can find on Youtube interview with Yu Suzuki where he confirms that Shenmue 2 budget was 70 million US $

Vojkan80001

That's true but so far Guerilla looks like it has the items for success and plus Killzone 1 wasn't a flop it sold over 4 million units.

Guerilla now has the PS3 better hardware, they're now owned by Sony which they weren't when they made the first Killzone, they have inside tips and knowledge, they have WAY more money and a bigger dev team, plus they haven't leaked anything they've kept this game so quiet.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -oG-ShAdY

it all rests in E3 tbh, we know absolutley nothing about this game, and i mean NOTHING besides the fact that its in development as Killzone PS3R-Dot-Yung

The money factor isn't as big to me as the number of people working on the project.

"There are more than 120 developers in the Netherlands working on the game at the moment."

That's a lot of people. Anyone know of a comparable studio using that many people for one game?

ngoniko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ngoniko
Member since 2007 • 782 Posts
Hmmm I could use the 40 million.... or even the 50 mil from GTA paid by M$
Youngpudding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Youngpudding
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
im still not gnna buy it,those games dont interest me.
Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Logan832
Member since 2006 • 2168 Posts

Wow

kakashi_00x000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kakashi_00x000
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
that doesn't make a good game, i think the budget for GeOW was $10 million and i think i read the budget for Spiderman 3 was over $50 mill, but i'm not sure...
ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
They should do better this time. The only reason they did so bad on killzone 1 was because they were pc developers with limited to get the game to ps2. They have plenty of money, time and experience this game should be good.
jelopek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jelopek
Member since 2005 • 694 Posts

im still not gnna buy it,those games dont interest me.Youngpudding

Do you even see killzone 2 in action...daaaa no !

Wait for some gameplay at E3

akuya32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 akuya32
Member since 2006 • 1166 Posts

If the game comes out and its great the price will be a non-issue. On the other hand, if it comes out and flops thats money going down the hole. I will wait and see before i say its going to be the greatest thing since PB&J or the worse thing since fried green tomatos. Either way we will find out sooner or later.

PSN Gamer Tag

Gamers Game....Fanboys pick sides......

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -oG-ShAdY

that doesn't make a good game, i think the budget for GeOW was $10 million and i think i read the budget for Spiderman 3 was over $50 mill, but i'm not sure...kakashi_00x000

Do you have any proof for this? I was able to confirm that GeOW did in fact cost $10 Million to make but no where was I able to find that Spiderman 3 took over $50 Million. I doubt that the game would cost 1/6 of the movies budget and be so crappy.

davez82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 davez82
Member since 2003 • 1864 Posts
omg this game is gonna be amazing, how they have had no leaks amazes me. The game is probably so good that its worth keeping it secretive im guessing. This game will kill halo3, but halo3 isnt that impressive anyways, i think this is a geow killer. Sony shoulda put 100 mil in this game if they are relying on it to save ps3.
-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -oG-ShAdY

LOL. I don't think that Sony is going to put all of their eggs in the Killzone 2 basket. I'm thinking that they will be relying on the massive amount of great games and content coming out later this year.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts
i think this game will be pretty good, they are going to learn from there mistakes from the first killzone and lots of money equals good games just look at gears of war. Id say def a high AA and possibly a AAA but cant say for sure untill E3
Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 Vojkan80001
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts
[QUOTE="Vojkan80001"]

G-Legend

That's true but so far Guerilla looks like it has the items for success and plus Killzone 1 wasn't a flop it sold over 4 million units.

Guerilla now has the PS3 better hardware, they're now owned by Sony which they weren't when they made the first Killzone, they have inside tips and knowledge, they have WAY more money and a bigger dev team, plus they haven't leaked anything they've kept this game so quiet.

Lol i love when people say things that dont make any sense. Killzone 1 "shipped" almost 2 million units, you can even find that information on their site. 4 million LOL
ovadose85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ovadose85
Member since 2006 • 505 Posts
i'll just wait to see the game. i'm betting its gonna be pretty impresive . but 40 mil , you sure that's not in peso's or something . do you know how many 40oz, happy ending's , and thai prostitutes in can get with that ( only in my dreams ) :)
jake0401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 jake0401
Member since 2005 • 330 Posts
Talk about pressue.  Guerilla games knows that this is it for SONY.  E3 will be very ineresting to the Playstation Nation in many aspects.  It will detail how Sony is going to handle the lagging support of the PS3.  Similarly Guerilla and Sony both know that this game is one that could shift the tides of the console war/market share.
It is a big news maker because of all of the hype associated with this game.  Sony and their original cgi trailer (it should be safe to call it this by now) shook the industry.  It showcased unbelievable graphics, rich detail, incredible physics, and a living breathing world.  The industry was in awe of the original footage and then, just like the Sopranos blank.
This game has been under wraps for two years now and it has the potential to save the ps3.  I agree with another poster in that I think the game is well into development.  While I would disagree on the estimation of 80%, I would guess probably around 60%.  I think this game will come out and shock the pants off of everyone who sees it and lead Sony into a strong Holiday with a price cut as well.
That is how you turn around the luck of the PS3.  That is how you take the market.  Halo3 is garbage, I played the beta.  Guerilla has all their chips on the table with this title and they can either make or break it.  Do or die time.
treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 treelog187
Member since 2005 • 2111 Posts

^lol! Good find Vojkan. I thought 4 mil sounded a little high. Im only buying this game so far on the premise that between the financial and tech support from Sony and the fact that they have a lot to prove after the prerendered trailer this game will truly be a graphical showpiece when it comes out. On the other hand not trying to piss off any Killzone fans, but the first game was nothing special. Far from a AAA title So lets just wait and see before getting all hyped.

treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 treelog187

@Jake0401.

I agree with most of what you said, but whats up with this "Killzone might save the PS3" attitude. The PS3 does not need saving. Not trying to insult but I think a lot of the guys on these boards are to young to remember what almost every console launch has been like. PS3 is in good standing right now. Consider this: PS3 has a very high price point with almost no games worth playing at the moment and its still selling relatively well. Its selling on brand alone at the moment. Killzone is just a small factor among many others that will push the console forward. Lets not forget that Blu Ray is dominating HD-DVD on all fronts. Then we have exclusive games like MGS4, FF13, White Knight, Uncharted, R@C, GT5, well you understand the list goes on.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -oG-ShAdY

^lol! Good find Vojkan. I thought 4 mil sounded a little high. Im only buying this game so far on the premise that between the financial and tech support from Sony and the fact that they have a lot to prove after the prerendered trailer this game will truly be a graphical showpiece when it comes out. On the other hand not trying to piss off any Killzone fans, but the first game was nothing special. Far from a AAA title So lets just wait and see before getting all hyped.

treelog187

I'm a big Killzone fan and I would agree with you. The online saved that game from becoming a nothing title. I had a lot of fun playing in different clans and talking to people all across America. I would have given the game an 8.0 not a 9.0. Definitely a AA not a AAA.

Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

[QUOTE="R-Dot-Yung"]it all rests in E3 tbh, we know absolutley nothing about this game, and i mean NOTHING besides the fact that its in development as Killzone PS3-oG-ShAdY

The money factor isn't as big to me as the number of people working on the project.

"There are more than 120 developers in the Netherlands working on the game at the moment."

That's a lot of people. Anyone know of a comparable studio using that many people for one game?

Crytek, the team working on crysis has the simliar number of people, infact i believe there are more. Ill get back with a link or somthing.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
They really better not screw this one up, I'll feel bad for the devs if they screw up a massively budgeted projected.
treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 treelog187
You Know I never played Killzone online, sorry I didnt factor that in. Im by no means against the game just the hype. Been let down to many times, but I have no doubt the technical aspects like graphics and physics will be amazing. Hopefully the gameplay will be amazing as well.
bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bluntiss
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
I heard way too many promises and rubbish from SOE. For a game that has no trailers, pictures or anything else, I find it hard to believe that it costs this muhc. Sony has been throwing around words like no tmrw. Next thing you know the new prez or whatever, is going to say, if you watch it closely enought, it can fly....
bambam2k05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bambam2k05
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
This game won't flop. Sony owes us. Does anybody think this gasme could be better than Halo 3?
bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bluntiss
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

[QUOTE="treelog187"]

-oG-ShAdY

I'm a big Killzone fan and I would agree with you. The online saved that game from becoming a nothing title. I had a lot of fun playing in different clans and talking to people all across America. I would have given the game an 8.0 not a 9.0. Definitely a AA not a AAA.

You really feel that way. I played the game for 30 minutes and gave up, it was awful. I won't be surprised if this one gets a 7.5 rating. If you like fps, you're getting the wrong console. In all of sony's career in gaming only once have they come out with a decent fps. (resitantce) Other than that, they were terrible, all of them. PS is good for RPG's and car games.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -oG-ShAdY

This game won't flop. Sony owes us. Does anybody think this gasme could be better than Halo 3?bambam2k05

I'm thinking that it might be the best FPS for the PS3 for a long time. I'm hoping that it's score is very close if not higher than whatever Halo 3 gets. I played the beta for Halo 3 a lot and I would say that they are doing some new things with the game but it still feels like it's not enough to bring me back to the series. There are other new games out there that I'm more interested in.

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 G-Legend
[QUOTE="G-Legend"][QUOTE="Vojkan80001"]

Vojkan80001

Lol i love when people say things that dont make any sense. Killzone 1 "shipped" almost 2 million units, you can even find that information on their site. 4 million LOL

My Bad Killzone actually sold around 2 million.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -oG-ShAdY

[QUOTE="-oG-ShAdY"][QUOTE="treelog187"]

bluntiss

You really feel that way. I played the game for 30 minutes and gave up, it was awful. I won't be surprised if this one gets a 7.5 rating. If you like fps, you're getting the wrong console. In all of sony's career in gaming only once have they come out with a decent fps. (resitantce) Other than that, they were terrible, all of them. PS is good for RPG's and car games.

I don't really know how to respond to a comment like this. You tried the game but only gave it a short period to impress you. I gave it a few days, and then weeks, and then months, and then a couple of years. The game didn't disappoint me at all. Many people didn't even try the online before passing judgement.

jake0401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 jake0401
Member since 2005 • 330 Posts
It will exceed halo 3.  Halo 3 is a weak title at the moment.  The beta was pretty substandard.  It looks and plays like halo2 with an hd facelift.  Sure the bubbleshields were pretty cool as well as the shield drainer but other than that the game is "been there done that"
And in response I never really thought about sony and their position in that regard.  It IS overpriced, or at least highly priced, there ARE no games coming out or that came out recently and it IS selling on brand name alone.  I suppose that is pretty impressive if you ask me. 
However Sony needs a big BIG BIG title like killzone to clean house and justify its price tag.
treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 treelog187

bluntiss

I can agree that up to this point FPS and Sony didnt really mix. Things are different now though. The PS3 is just as if not more capable than other systems of having great FPS games. Hell outside of Crysis and Halo3 PS3 will most likely get all the decent FPS games and we could still get Crysis. The only FPS advantage on 360 is the offset analogs. Thats about it.

cardiac_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cardiac_cat
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts

So you mean to tell me that all of the xbox's FPS which are Halo, and.......uh......that other one, are better than any on the PS?? Im sorry but halo is a mediocre game. The only reason it is so popular is because it is atleast better than the other games on that console.

bluntiss

ygohome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ygohome
Member since 2004 • 294 Posts

hopefully Killzone 2 wont end up like another WaterWorld. Its scary how many people are counting on this gaming being the decisive factor in the PS3s survival. If its a crash and burn its going to be hilarious. graphics can be amazing but if the game play is terrible or controls suck then the game will suck. I have high hopes it will be good though.

But I think even if Killzone2 does end up being a rotten egg, nearly all ps3 console owners will end up buying just because of the hype... same goes for Halo3 and the 360 crowd.

azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts
Wow! KZ2 can't fail. However there are issues I'm worried about, Episodic content. Do we we have to buy parts of the game or what's the deal with that?! Another issue is due to the immense budget Sony will focus all they got on KZ2 leaving other games in the shadows. just like another company has done with a certain FPS game.Oh and I don't think Sony needs a game that'll "save" them because they are doing decent compared to PS2's time period. But yeah,40 million OMG!!!!!
treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 treelog187

^Yeah I hope the Killzone crowd doesnt become like the Halo crowd. The only thing I truly hate about Halo is 90% of its hype blinded fanbase.

Raio_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Raio_
Member since 2007 • 145 Posts
Thats alot of money for a game thats of movie proportions, can hardly contain my nuts from spilling juice all over my desk at the moment :P
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts
[QUOTE="Vojkan80001"]

G-Legend

Guerilla now has the PS3 better hardware, they're now owned by Sony which they weren't when they made the first Killzone,

Agreed!!! I liked the first KZ...it was the limitation of the ps2 that didn't allow it to live up to it's full potential

Josh848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Josh848
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts

This game will be amazing! With great online play and a good story, the PS3 will start selling a lot of units again.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -oG-ShAdY

hopefully Killzone 2 wont end up like another WaterWorld. Its scary how many people are counting on this gaming being the decisive factor in the PS3s survival. If its a crash and burn its going to be hilarious. graphics can be amazing but if the game play is terrible or controls suck then the game will suck. I have high hopes it will be good though.

But I think even if Killzone2 does end up being a rotten egg, nearly all ps3 console owners will end up buying just because of the hype... same goes for Halo3 and the 360 crowd.

ygohome

Being a movie guy I know exactly what you mean. But actually, in my opinion, Water World was a great movie. Kevin Costner did a really good job in that movie. But that's besides the point.

I agree with everyone that says they hope that Killzone doesn't turn into another Halo. I'm one of those people and I thought it was great that I had a gem on the PS2 that none of my Xbox loving friends had. But that's just me.

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

^Yeah I hope the Killzone crowd doesnt become like the Halo crowd. The only thing I truly hate about Halo is 90% of its hype blinded fanbase.

treelog187

lol....yeah....we would have a full scale war on our hands then.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -oG-ShAdY
[QUOTE="G-Legend"][QUOTE="Vojkan80001"]

MERC_RECONN

Guerilla now has the PS3 better hardware, they're now owned by Sony which they weren't when they made the first Killzone,

Agreed!!! I liked the first KZ...it was the limitation of the ps2 that didn't allow it to live up to it's full potential

I couldn't agree with you more. Try playing KZ on the PS3. All the glitches go away. I'm being 100% serious. Try it out for yourself. The graphics look great!

Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Squall_Griver
Member since 2006 • 3607 Posts
WOOT WOOT?!