Until Dawn Review - PS4's Best Exclusive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jr8zeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By jr8zeppelin
Member since 2013 • 39 Posts

Until Dawn is an interactive horror adventure game developed by Supermassive Games exclusive to Sony's latest home console. It was announced for the Playstation 3 back in 2012 and expected to release in 2013, but was pushed to the PS4 after complications with Playstation Move. And may I just say, thank God for that. I never expected myself to even play this game after considering the extraordinarily long development cycle hinted at game-breaking problems for Until Dawn, but stellar storytelling, explicit choice making, huge plot twists and a prodigious amount of collectibles left me remarkably pleased with the product.

As soon as the game began we were thrown in to an awkward teenage dilemma, and it was truly galvanizing. I could tell immediately that the game perfectly represented classic teenage slasher films with the characters making poor choices non-stop while spouting out cheesy one-liners that, unlike most movies, accurately represents modern lingo. The genius dialogue added exuberance and humor to the dark, dreary atmosphere and all of its mystery. That, and the remarkable voice acting with a pretty well known cast spiced up the characters and their emotions.

Although the characters often come to exasperating conclusions, most of their dispositions are so stupid that it's enjoyable. Some of the characters are friendly with one another, others loath someone else, some constantly pick fights... It's all a bunch of classic teenage bullshit, and you know what? It is downright entertaining. And not only are they dramatic, but they're pretty darn stupid, too! Their wits seem to fail them when it matters the most, and while sometimes those poor choices will result in no real consequence, they could often result in death.

The most entertaining and alluring aspect of Until Dawn is that each decision affects future outcomes. For instance, say you're walking down a sinister hallway and are given two options: invest a spooky noise or continue with the group. The route you pick will have an undeviating effect on your characters outcome. You see, there's this little thing called the butterfly effect, a theory in which a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state. The butterfly effect is a key gameplay mechanic in Until Dawn. It forces players to make split, dire decisions that have a direct effect on a character's fate, or their relationship with others. Expect sweaty palms and agitated nerves as the game extorts your bravery and courage by forcing you to make uneasy, game-changing choices that you will probably regret moments after.

Even if you aren't content with the decisions you chose, do not fret, because playing through the game for a second or third time is just as much of a treat. The butterfly effect mechanic allows for multiple routes to be taken, multiple deaths to be shown for most characters, and even several different endings for the game. Even the collectibles you find throughout the game play in part in certain character's fate. Isn't that pretty sweet? There are a ton of artifacts and objects to discover, but they're all relatively easy to find, and they're actually quite riveting to collect (especially the death totems).

Aside from collecting items and making soul-crushing decisions, there isn't much gameplay in Until Dawn. There are often quick-time-events, though, and they do get tricky after a while, but although they are terrifying from time to time, it spices up the action. Now, there are a few moments throughout the game that recquire the player to hold their Dulashock 4 perfectly still, or else the character will move and potentially die. They are easy for the majority of the game, then the end arrives and things get a bit out of hand. These segments were pretty much the only real downside to Until Dawn, in my opinion. Aside from that, the gameplay was tremendous for an adventure game.

As many have constantly said, including Sony's own Shuhei Yoshida, I believe that Until Dawn is undoubtedly the sleeper-hit of the year. Sony released another adventure game just weeks before Until Dawn, and that game is Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. They advertised it and hyped it up for several weeks, which is surprising for an indie game, but it seems as if they put all of their resources into the wrong game. Until Dawn sold relatively well, but imagine what numbers Sony could have pushed if they actually got this name out there... But, no matter, because Supermassive Games has already stated that they have full plans to continue with this style of game. That could mean a sequel to Until Dawn, but it's more likely that we see a brand new IP building upon this almost perfect adventure game system. Until Dawn is currently in my own running for GOTY thanks to hysterical writing, critical gameplay decisions, beautiful graphics and out-of-nowhere plot twists, and I believe it isthe Playstation 4's greatest exclusive game.

• +Hilarious and spot-on writing
  • +Enthralling storytelling
  • +Consequential decisions
  • +Stellar plot twists
  • -'Stay still' segments were frustrating

Verdict = 9/10

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#1 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I can't give that game more than 8/10 because it didn't do as well as Heavy Rain. The story was kinda like a teen "horror" movie which is hilariously bad but fun at the same time. Our decision doesn't have that much effect as some caracters can only die in one or two specific spot but at least some early trivial decision will change some stuff like when Jess and Mike make out she will either keep her jacket or remove some cloths and so later when you see her again she will wear Mike jacket or her jacket.

Again Heavy Rain made it a lot better because if someone died, the game could be shorter and so you may not be able to discover who is the killer and it also change the ending, there is many possible ending. In Until Dawn it is either the caracter survived and tell their part of the story or they aren't there unless you find a very specific item.

But the game is fun and they really introduced all the fonctionnality of controler to make it so much scarier like not moving.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

I would give it a 7.5 or 8. I enjoyed it, easily one of the best exclusives of the year

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#3 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Might get it when it drops in price or when there's a sale on.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I could never get into that kind of experience. I like my player control too much. Bloodborne is god tier.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

While I also loved the game, experience of playing, characters (loved to hate in most cases), my biggest fault with the game is watching someone else play it after you (or I guess playing it again if you did). My girlfriend made so many decisions differently than me and in watching someone else play after you've completed it, you realize how many of the spur of the moment decisions don't actually matter... like at all. Sure, you might trip over a branch instead of running gracefully to cover but it makes very little impact on the story. Actually, I often felt (again more so watching her play) that a lot of the outcomes are kind of forced. There was a much more intense, seemingly game-altering time mid game (no real spoilers, I'll be vague) I was playing as Mike and continuously hitting the wrong controller shape prompt and was at the time really pissed I was going to kill off Mike and nothing happened. I literally missed all of the 3 or 4 prompts of hitting/dodging the enemy creatures (sorry is that even a spoiler?) and it made no difference at all. I easily should have died there. He was still alive and well. Situations like this both in my gameplay and my girlfriends kind of were a buzz kill for me. Basically, I'm saying this games biggest fault is that it's rather short-lived and when you go back and play it expecting all these different scenarios, it's really the same thing with a few different actions and dialogue prompts depending on your choices.

For that reason a 9/10 is really just not happening for me. When it really boils down it's like a 7/10 at best. But a very very solid 7. It's a great, fun game it's just a little misleading with how much they amped up how the players choices really matter... when 90% of them don't in the grand scheme.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

It looks like a very interesting game, but does it not have multiple endings like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?? How are the graphics of Until Dawn?

jr8zeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jr8zeppelin

@Coolyfett: I thought it was easily one of the most gorgeous games on the system. It didn't have too many endings, only a few I do believe, but the choices matter throughout the game a whole lot.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Coolyfett

@jr8zeppelin: there is news of a new game from the makers of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. Good to see more of this genre of games growing on the ps4.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

One of the best games this year without question. But only problem is that most of the choices are pre-determine.

For instance, in between Josh and Ashley death scene, no matter who you pick, it would land on Josh no matter what.

I just wish you have more control with the choices, like Heavy Rain. But ah well, I still thoroughly enjoy the game, and its my 2nd favorite survival horror game on the ps4, nex to P.t.

jr8zeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jr8zeppelin

@Coolyfett: I know! Very excited for Detroit, even if I didn't enjoy Heavy Rain or Beyond as much as I loved Until Dawn.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

My problem with these types of games that are so story-dependent is that you have to like the story for the game to be worthwhile. To make matters worse, the people who usually write for games are writers who weren't talented enough to write for other mediums (books, movies, shows, etc.).

You're basically gambling your time and money with a game written by a lackluster writer that could very easily be a waste of time depending on specific subjective preferences. If you read a review about the game to see if it's to your taste - most of the game's story elements will be spoiled before you have a chance to experience them first-hand.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#12 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

You are entitled to your opinion but in my view the best PlayStation 4 exclusives go in this order from best to so-on; just keep in mind like you this is my opinion

• Disgaea 5
  • Guilty Gear Xrd
  • Bloodborne
  • TearAway:Unfolded
  • Infamous Second Son

I didn't think that highly of Until Dawn but glad some gamers like it, personally I'd like more games in the sense of Dragon's Crown which I remain to think as one of PS3's best games. And though it may come across as cruel I don't want another Little Big Plant. Sum Digital releasing that glitch-fest has destroyed a once beloved franchise.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

I love the PS4 but I honestly think Until Dawn is a bit overrated. The first half of the story is far too predictable and the second half is a bit stupid, 3 reasons which drive me to play a game,

1. mesmerising story eg. Dead Space,

2. Good gameplay and character progression eg. Splinter Cell Blacklist

3. Really hot/likeable character in this case Sam...

Also the choices don't really matter for the ending...for a high budget game they could have had multiple different ending depending on the choices you made but no its just a variation of who lives/dies

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

Played it for couple of days now, good or bad, quality or not, could argue about it, one thing is sure: this game is fun to play!

boss_love

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 boss_love
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

the game was suppose to be like a teen horror movie...that was the whole point. To finally have a say when you watch those cliche thrillers and youre yelling at the screen for a character not to do this or that. Ive seen a lot of people say how after they were done playing and then saw someone else play it, it felt like their choices didnt matter. But it does so much???? like with all your decisions your relationship with the other players change.

for example if you dont take emily's side and dont stay on her good side then she wont go through the window EVEN if you pick it. so your previous choices are coming into play.

yeah you end up at the same place at the end but some people can be dead and depending on your relationships, what the other characters say at the police station in the credits differ at lot. The game is interesting, smooth, and personally I loved the characters. The game was a 9/10 for me, just for how I didnt want to stop playing. And games bore me out pretty quick (just check out the stack of games in the corner of my room that are only half done)

but in the end I guess it just differs down to what type of games you like

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Coolyfett

Does this game play like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls??

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Will try it out probably when it hits a sale. Currently, Bloodborne is my top PS4 game. However, I found with Beyond that I do enjoy the interactive story type games, so this one is definitely on my radar.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nirogol

@blueboxdoctor said:

Bloodborne is my top PS4 game.

For sure, it will be hard to grab it's place as the PS4 best exclusive.

jr8zeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jr8zeppelin

@Coolyfett: Yeah, it does. I like Until Dawn more than Quantic's games, though.

JohnTrollvolta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JohnTrollvolta
Member since 2015 • 15 Posts

Says a lot that the "best" exclusive on this sytem is an interactive movie... And I'm not talking about Last of Us

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nirogol

@johntrollvolta said:

Says a lot that the "best" exclusive on this sytem is an interactive movie... And I'm not talking about Last of Us

It's not the PS4 best exclusive....and go look about the sales, people want to play interactive movie on the PS4 than playing on the XBOX at all.

JohnTrollvolta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JohnTrollvolta
Member since 2015 • 15 Posts

@nirogol: lol you're already assuming I'm an Xbox fan, sad how you fangirls get so defensive and upset when anyone criticizes

Xbox is garbage, and that's irrelevant. My point is, the fact most people prefer interactive movies is probably due to the large population of Dudebros and Casual gamers these days

If I want a nice movie I'll go watch a movie, not spent 70$ on an interactive one, catch my drift ?

jr8zeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jr8zeppelin

@johntrollvolta: So I'm a casual gamer because I enjoyed an adventure game? Maybe if I ONLY played adventure games... What games do you play? I'd love to compare.

Also, the last of us has 6 hours of cutscenes. The game takes anywhere between 12 and 20 hours to beat, so the ratio of gameplay to story scenes is about 75:25 I'd say.

So, no. I do not at all catch your drift. Especially when game renting is a thing, because I agree that $60 is a little too much for a game as short as Until Dawn.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nirogol

@johntrollvolta said:

@nirogol: lol you're already assuming I'm an Xbox fan, sad how you fangirls get so defensive and upset when anyone criticizes

Xbox is garbage, and that's irrelevant. My point is, the fact most people prefer interactive movies is probably due to the large population of Dudebros and Casual gamers these days

If I want a nice movie I'll go watch a movie, not spent 70$ on an interactive one, catch my drift ?

First of all yeah i'm proud to be fangirl you are in PlayStation Nation forum good morning!

You wrote "Says a lot that the "best" exclusive on this sytem is an interactive movie", of course i'll think you're an XBOX player. you need to learn how to express your "drifts" man.

in every genre theres good and bad titles, Until Dawn is a good way to do it, you can take the borrriing as hell "The order" to get the bad example, the fact that this topic glorify until dawn and it's also PS4 exclusive doesn't mean that : "Says a lot that the "best" exclusive on this sytem is an interactive movie".

Got my drift fella?!