Uncharted 2 is a really bad magic trick...

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I just bought Uncharted 2 last monday because the GOTY edition iis only $25 right now and everybody raves tono end about this game and let me tell you, I'm glad it was only $25.

This is one of those all flash no substance kind of games. It's spectacles seem to have bribed gamers into believing thegame was exceptional.The actual GAMEPLAY is nothing to write home about. It basically works as a tool so that the plot can move forward. The gunplay is solid enough, but the platforming sequences are so rigidly contrived that you must do EXACTLY as the game wishes you to do to. It might as well play those parts for you after you figure out which ledge starts that particular sequence.

Then there are parts like the one in the ice cavewith Tenzen where the game halts to an extremely slow and needlessly boring pace. You have to follow some guy through a cave for some time. Nothing entertainging in that chapter in the least.

The pacing in this game was also surprisingly slow for an action adventure. It just felt like molasses. the game controls your pacing so that it can deliver a cinematic experience. Well that experience robs gamers of control and that is an entegral part to gaming in my eyes.

It wasn't all bad though. there were two stand out moments that I wish there were more of. First is the car chase scene. That was a set piece that actually had a fun and engaging impact on the gameplay and it was one of the few points in the game where the pacing sped up to a pleasing level. Normally the game slows you down so it can give you the experience it wishes to so that speed running and feeling like a pro are impossible.

the other stand out moment was the puzzle where you had to place the right symbol in front of the correct animal using your journal notes. there needed to be A LOT more of this kind of intellegent game design in the game. It gave the slow pace a meaning.

In the end, Uncharted 2 feels like a bad magic trick that I can see straight through, but has everyone else fooled.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

We get it you are Kewl cause you hate popular games :P

In all honestly no game is made for everyone and as well received and awarded Uncharted 2 was it still had its fare share of haters, not saying there is anything wrong with that. I completely understand your point of view but to say everyone is being fooled by it(game) is ridiculous. Im very picky when I purchase games and I have to admit Uncharted 2 completely blew me away, perfect mix of story and gameplay, done far better than MGS4 imo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

Hmm... nice post, but I disagree. I found it to be a long game that was exciting from start to finish, something very few games can accomplish nowadays. And the fantastic visuals were just the icing on an already thoroughly delicious cake.

OrcsP2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OrcsP2
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

i think your semi nuts, i bought the goty edition for $50 and i seriously dont regret buying it then. amazing game, and multiplayer is even more addicting

BakedDank420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BakedDank420
Member since 2010 • 473 Posts

U2 is all about the MP bro.

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

I like the first Uncharted more than Among Thieves :?

Uncharted 2's story felt too similar to the first one and the ending imo was dissapointing as was the final boss battle. Such an amazing location/setting and I'm fighting in some ditch-like area surrounded by trees. I liked the gameplay though.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Yeah dude you are way smarter than everyone else. /sarcasm
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Nah. It's one of the defining games this gen for a reason.
FishinTheSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FishinTheSalt
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts
The game is one of those exclusives meant to sell systems as much it is to appeal to hard core gamers. Beautiful visuals and not a high degree of difficulty but just enough to make fun for everyone. I thought it was great. Let me guess, your favorite game is dark souls...
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Well I too disagree with this, but also disagree that mp is where this game's at (though I've spent a lot of time on it, I think there's a strong sp to back it up so it's about equal). The pacing is a lot better than in the first game, and everything is more refined that the first one. The only thing I didn't like was the whole fantasy thing they added at the end. I was surprised that there was actually a strong side character with Chloe. There's really nothing I can say I thought was bad about the game. If you like the puzzle stuff then play the first one. I kind of wish I waited for the GOTY edition since I got it new when it first came out.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Yeah, anyone who has a different opinion than you must be gullible. I love when people have an over-inflated sense of their own opinion's worth.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

Yeah dude you are way smarter than everyone else. /sarcasm MethodManFTW

LOL. Yea that's what this this topic bascially means. Unless you didn't like UC2 then you're an idiot. :lol:

Maybe you shouldn't play UC2. People do have different tastes from each other and NO, just because someone likes a specific game/genre doesn't mean they are an idiot.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pikminmaniac

Yeah, anyone who has a different opinion than you must be gullible. I love when people have an over-inflated sense of their own opinion's worth.

worlock77

I'm sorry if it comes off as me acting superior to everyone. I did not mean it that way. It just feels like it because pretty much everybody loves it so much. Perhaps a better way of wording it is that I am watching a magician do the trick at an angle that allows me to see how it is done and you guys are at the angle in which the illusion works.

Basically Uncharted isn't a gamer's game. Its enjoyment isn't derived as much fromthegameplayasit is fromthe spectacles on display

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
everything you just said reminds me of infamous for some reason. must be your sig :)
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pikminmaniac

everything you just said reminds me of infamous for some reason. must be your sig :)Batang_X990

It must be the sig because most of what I said doesn't apply to inFAMOUS. That game is mostly rather ugly to look at and I don't remember a single set piece in the entire game. The platforming in inAMOUS is as free as I have ever seen. You can climb and jump on every single thing you see. Also every mission gives you a ton of flexability in which way you wish to accomplish it due to the many tools (powers) at your disposal...

unless you mean inFAOUS 2. I could see how the sequel might end up with the same pitfalls I see in Uncharted 2 especially given my sig (set piece monster LOL)

jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 jiggaloj
Member since 2006 • 4345 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Pikminmaniac

I'm sorry if it comes off as me acting superior to everyone. I did not mean it that way. It just feels like it because pretty much everybody loves it so much. Perhaps a better way of wording it is that I am watching a magician do the trick at an angle that allows me to see how it is done and you guys are at the angle in which the illusion works.

Basically Uncharted isn't a gamer's game. Its enjoyment isn't derived as much fromthegameplayasit is fromthe spectacles on display

"In the end, Uncharted 2 feels like a bad magic trick that I can see straight through, but has everyone else fooled."

If you don't like the game, that's fine. Dont go around spouting nonsense about how we've been fooled into liking it. Just because there many people who like the game doesn't mean they've been fooled by the "spectacles on display."

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

jiggaloj

"In the end, Uncharted 2 feels like a bad magic trick that I can see straight through, but has everyone else fooled."

If you don't like the game, that's fine. Dont go around spouting nonsense about how we've been fooled into liking it. Just because there many people who like the game doesn't mean they've been fooled by the "spectacles on display."

It's a pretty good game in the end, but whay does everybody think it is some sort of masterpiece? The only thing that sets this game above others are the visuals and set pieces (superficial flourishes). I'm a gameplay man. It's about the mechanics for me and I have never heard a person say that Uncharted 2 has outstanding gameplay. In fact, I only hear that it gets the job done. I don't like it when games focus on spectacle rather than gameplay. It feels like a step back for the gaming industry.

Uncharted 2 is like the Avatar of the gaming community. A lot of people think it's the greatest thing ever, but it's mostly for the spectacle.Avatar tells a story that's been told better before, but it's wrapped in gorgeous effects. Then it wins the Golden Globe... Only Avatar is more justifyable because movies are a visual experience. Games are an interactive experience... also Avatar and Uncharted 2 both have blue people :P

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

The thing is, once i beat U2, that was it. There was not much else to bring me back in... In the end, it really just felt like flashy visuals and average gameplay.

The best element of U2 imo was the voice acting and the production values.

I also cant stand how Drake's ability to platform would put Spiderman to shame.

NylaMandisa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NylaMandisa
Member since 2008 • 121 Posts

I enjoy the game (and the first) but I really dislike the climbing/platforming parts of the game. I like the actual climbing mechanics but not how linear and strict the game is in regards to what and where you can climb. Perhaps the Assassins Creed, Saboteur, inFamous/Prototype series have sort of spoiled me as far as climbing goes but UC/2 is extrodinarily linear in that regard. I also wasn't really a fan of the shooting mechanics but nothing I'd really complain about either.

All in all I think its a really good game (just replayed it a few days ago for the first time since I originally beat it), just a very, very overhyped one. The best thing about the whole experience is its presentation and animations I think, and I don't say that from a graphics-mad gamer as I'm not, but simply that the animations make the characters very believable as people (with exception to maybe the jumping one... ^^).

I still prefer the Tomb Raider games though. Took me so long to figure out what needs to be done in some of the TR: Underworld levels. :)

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts

TC, you have no idea what you just walked into. Uncharted is practically a religion on these boards. I, however, agree with you. I had fun with the multiplayer, but the single player didn't really do anything I haven't seen in games like Tomb Raider before. To be fair, it was a fantastic looking game and it had an excellent story backed by excellent writers, but I've never been one to swoon over graphics or writing when all they really do is attempt to mask a mediocre experience.

The platforming was interesting, but I agree that it was far more rigid and scripted than it felt. On the one hand that is a compliment to the developers; they managed to make you feel like you were being clever when really there was only one way to go. On the other hand, more jaded gamers like myself don't tend to fall for those ploys easily and the result was an experience that often felt like less than it could have been. The action was also decent, but if I'm honest I've played so many pop-shoot-roll third person games at this stage that I need something pretty creative to get me excited about them. The gunplay was solid, but it certainly was not incredible.

I also agree that there were some major pacing issues to be found. My biggest personal complaint with the pacing of the game was the over-abundance of long-ish puzzles that brought the usually interesting story/action to a screeching halt for 30 minutes at a time. Of course, I felt the same about God of War 3 and all the Tomb Raider games, so I suppose it isn't entirely fair to throw that completely on Uncharted 2's shoulders.

If they can sort out the pacing and tighten up the gameplay a little bit, I think Uncharted 3 has the potential to be what I wanted Uncharted 2 to be.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

cool blog bro, not all games are for everyone, am i suppose to be suprised you don't like it? i don't like halo and i don't like call of duty series? who cares, you usually won't like what everyone else likes.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
I saw UC2 for what it was: an interactive summer blockbuster with fun but simple characters, terrific voice acting, superficial but engaging story line, cool but sporadic action sequences, and solid and, contrary to what you believed, well paced, albeit often on-rails, game play. Was there anything about UC2 that was truly exceptional beside its visuals and more or less lifelike, believable characters? Probably not. But it still managed to do most little things really well; and together with the bigger aspects, they formed to create a thoroughly enjoyable but undoubtedly "simple" experience. So if that kind of well-executed simplicity isn't your cup of tea, so be it. But there are plenty people out there who crave it and appreciate it.
Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

I just bought Uncharted 2 last monday because the GOTY edition iis only $25 right now and everybody raves tono end about this game and let me tell you, I'm glad it was only $25.

This is one of those all flash no substance kind of games. It's spectacles seem to have bribed gamers into believing thegame was exceptional.The actual GAMEPLAY is nothing to write home about. It basically works as a tool so that the plot can move forward. The gunplay is solid enough, but the platforming sequences are so rigidly contrived that you must do EXACTLY as the game wishes you to do to. It might as well play those parts for you after you figure out which ledge starts that particular sequence.

Then there are parts like the one in the ice cavewith Tenzen where the game halts to an extremely slow and needlessly boring pace. You have to follow some guy through a cave for some time. Nothing entertainging in that chapter in the least.

The pacing in this game was also surprisingly slow for an action adventure. It just felt like molasses. the game controls your pacing so that it can deliver a cinematic experience. Well that experience robs gamers of control and that is an entegral part to gaming in my eyes.

It wasn't all bad though. there were two stand out moments that I wish there were more of. First is the car chase scene. That was a set piece that actually had a fun and engaging impact on the gameplay and it was one of the few points in the game where the pacing sped up to a pleasing level. Normally the game slows you down so it can give you the experience it wishes to so that speed running and feeling like a pro are impossible.

the other stand out moment was the puzzle where you had to place the right symbol in front of the correct animal using your journal notes. there needed to be A LOT more of this kind of intellegent game design in the game. It gave the slow pace a meaning.

In the end, Uncharted 2 feels like a bad magic trick that I can see straight through, but has everyone else fooled.

Pikminmaniac

I can understand what your saying but i felt that the story went at a slow enough pace for mw to keep up with and enjoy at the same time. There were some frustrating points but it was a very solid game overall. I really like how you control you character through action sequence cutscenes but i do remember a building sequence that just didnt seem right. I think that the overall game was alot of fun and full of action and adventure that everyone with a ps3 should play. The story also had to move kind of slow because alot of us never played the first. Its too expencive. :D Well if you didnt like this one at least you know this just isnt a title to continue playing for you.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I just agree partly. The scenes you have to climp from A to B are extremly linear and mainly here to show the graphics, but I'm okay with that, they are fantastic. When it comes to the TPS part it's IMO one of the best TPS gameplay this gen

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I do not agree with TC at all. I don't mind linear games. They give a better overall expierence. Uncharted has great varied gameplay which is more than I can say for something like Gears which tends to get even more praise. Uncharted has great animation, has a small dose of stealth, cover based shooting, linear but fun platforming, great set pieces, graphics, pacing, fun characters. I don't mind that the game doesn't have original characters or story or anything else. I don't expect something to be original in order for me to enjoy it. I love the Uncharted series, and I am happy many others do as well because I'm tired of this mindset that only freeroaming games and Mass Effect/Oblivion type games can be considered great gaming expierences these days.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
After reading i have a few points: 1. It was never meant to be like CoD, 4 hours of massive action and explosions. 2. The Cinematic style is supposed to be slower than usual as the story actually has some interest and thought behind it. 3. We all know the ins and outs of the game so it's no illusion or magic trick, it's a game to be played and enjoyed, not moaned about on a forum. 4. The story was pretty long about 12 hours if you rushed it, so considering this about 4 times as long as a CoD game which has the same budget i think it does a pretty good job of pacing the game out to a point where it's exciting and relaxing at some parts whilst keeping your attention.
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I bought it right after launch, was disappointed, and sold it on ebay to recoupe as much of the expense as I could. For some reason, I honestly liked the first one better. It doesn't bother me that other people do like it, though. It's a good thing for the PS3 to have popular exclusives.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#28 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I love Uncharted 2. I actually believe the gameplay is fantastic, because I spent a load of time in the MP playing co op with my friends. I understand your points about linear platforming segments but the rest I just disagree with. I played a lot of survival, and one thing that stood out to me was that this game is unlike anything else. The game goes vertical, offering platforming and solid gunplay seemingly mixed together. While it might be linear in the main game, that's to drive the narrative. Online, you have the option to climb whatever looks safe to grab. Go play Highrise, and fend off several enemies while clinging to the side of a building.

The game mechanics are solid, and there are a lot of people that will disagree with me when I say "its unlike anything else" but it is. A lot of people compare it to Tomb Raider. But Tomb Raider's combat is a lock on control scheme where you flip and roll and Lara is basically immune to attacks. Uncharted 2 has a cover system that mixes platforming and combat, and I really can't think of anything else that allows you to do that.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Well then I would like to see what you call a good magic trick. :P

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#30 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I've always wondered why people always complain about MW2 being super linear and scripted to be like a movie when Uncharted 2 is the exact same thing in those regards. UC2 was a really fun game, but looking back on it, I'd have to agree iin some ways.

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

"The actual GAMEPLAY is nothing to write home about. It basically works as a tool so that the plot can move forward"

Well I'll be a SOB. I had no idea.

I pretty much stopped reading after that comment.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#32 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I understand your reasons there but I think the set piece moments and action sequences were really good. Maybe you just don't think its as good as what some people make it out to be but for me its the best thing to hit the PS3.

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Weenski
Member since 2011 • 990 Posts
TC, what is/are your favorite game/s? :) I loved U2 and have given up my second playthrough of U1, I just don't like it. I do prefer linear games. I know that I'm in a minority there but that's how I like games.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

It's not for everyone. I found the game to be great. SP as better in Drakes Fortune though.

xboxfreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xboxfreak1
Member since 2004 • 461 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Pikminmaniac

I will agree with some of your original post - the parts that say the gameplay is needlessly slowed down, at least sometimes.I do feel like there are too many "in game cut scenes" that break up the action too much. Another series I can liken that to is Gears of War 1. Every 10 seconds, Marcus would put his finger to his ear and it drove me nuts! However, for me it is the gameplay that shines through and makes it a game worth play as well as the amazing characters and spectacles. I love trying to go through a section only doing stealth or only fighting people. Then go through and own people with grenade launcher. Then I jump online and do the same. Uncharted 2 does have some faults, but IMO pale in comparison to everything else that it does right.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

TC. how in the blue hell does Uncharted 2 have everyone fooled?

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts

TC, you have no idea what you just walked into. Uncharted is practically a religion on these boards. I, however, agree with you. I had fun with the multiplayer, but the single player didn't really do anything I haven't seen in games like Tomb Raider before. To be fair, it was a fantastic looking game and it had an excellent story backed by excellent writers, but I've never been one to swoon over graphics or writing when all they really do is attempt to mask a mediocre experience.

The platforming was interesting, but I agree that it was far more rigid and scripted than it felt. On the one hand that is a compliment to the developers; they managed to make you feel like you were being clever when really there was only one way to go. On the other hand, more jaded gamers like myself don't tend to fall for those ploys easily and the result was an experience that often felt like less than it could have been. The action was also decent, but if I'm honest I've played so many pop-shoot-roll third person games at this stage that I need something pretty creative to get me excited about them. The gunplay was solid, but it certainly was not incredible.

I also agree that there were some major pacing issues to be found. My biggest personal complaint with the pacing of the game was the over-abundance of long-ish puzzles that brought the usually interesting story/action to a screeching halt for 30 minutes at a time. Of course, I felt the same about God of War 3 and all the Tomb Raider games, so I suppose it isn't entirely fair to throw that completely on Uncharted 2's shoulders.

If they can sort out the pacing and tighten up the gameplay a little bit, I think Uncharted 3 has the potential to be what I wanted Uncharted 2 to be.

sixgears2
I actually only read the first paragraph. "but I've never been one to swoon over graphics or writing when all they really do is attempt to mask a mediocre experience." Ermm... no. Just no. Your basically saying that the sole element of games is the gameplay and the only reason developers try to make their game look, sound, feel great, it's only so it masks the rubbish gameplay. So Mass Effect 2 without the story, the excellent dialogue and great visuals would still be the same game because the gameplay is what matters... Ok I just read the rest. "Of course, I felt the same about God of War 3 and all the Tomb Raider games". Have you ever thought that a. you dont like puzzles in general or b. you dont like third person action games. You and the OP seem to assume that the game was made for you. It's not, quite obviously, as you didnt like it. Try other games instead of expecting the developer to cope for your specific needs. Uncharted 1 and 2 recieved great reviews and 3 isnt going to be any different in gameplay, story, graphics etc
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Pikminmaniac

Your digging yourself a hole deeper and deeper now with every comment you make. "Basically Uncharted isn't a gamer's game. Its enjoyment isn't derived as much fromthegameplayasit is fromthe spectacles on display" you insist on apologising on how you made yourself look in your original post, fair enough, but this sentence just makes your apology irrelevant as your doing it again. So were not gamers? We enjoy U2 so cannot possibly be classed as a gamer, now that U2 isn't a gamers game. We're amazing by the spectacles on display while you can see through this and can judge a game on what truly matters, the gameplay. The fact of the matter is, nothing will please everybody; nothing. Out of the whatever-million people that bought the game, you are of the incredibly small minority which did not like the game. It's proven that the average answer of a large proportion of people normally comes out more accurate than that of a singular person or smaller group of people, no matter the intelligence of either group... I'm not saying that U2 is good and everybody should like it, but you have to understand that the majority of people do, so therefore the game is a well made game for it's target audience, but for everyone else, like you, it's a below average game.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
I didn't much care for the game either.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
Whatever TC.Uncharted 2 was the only game I actually enjoyed after God of War 2.
ace070590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ace070590
Member since 2007 • 439 Posts

Pikminmaniac

Although I understand what you're saying, I completely disagree.

Flash, but no substance? The story, sequences, and layout of the game was exciting and thrilling the whole way through. The smoothness and freeflow of the controls only made it better :) Using what you've just said, every shooting game must be bad . . . ;) because they all have parts with "flash, but no substance" Some parts play themselves out, that's with any game,but U2 gives you a sense of urgency and the graphics, gameplay, and story all draw you in.

So a chapter had a slow part, big deal (this sounds like every game). And, imo, this part wa good because it brought variety. A snow monster and a little slower pace for a while. To me, it's fun :)

And, true, the game can be slow, but that doesn't mean that if Naughty dog increased the speed of the game, it would all the sudden make it way better. I've also played action adventure games that are too fast paced and they have no substance because of it.

Lastly, and this is the only thing that I majorly agree with, the game did need more challenges and puzzles . . . it felt deprived in this area but the rest of the game made up for it. :)

Uncharted 2 is a great experience overall and I feel it's a keeper. What's one of your most favorite games? I bet I can find flaws with it too, giving you my opinion. ;) lol

ace070590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ace070590
Member since 2007 • 439 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Pikminmaniac

All opinion once again, as if you have some special sight :) It isn't a "gamers" game? Well I consider myself a gamer and quite frankly I feel that it's one of the best games of this gen :) as do many other "gamers."

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

i love when someone tries to come off as intelligent and deep in their post, but they contradict themselves and have loads of spelling errors.

that aside, your entire post is your opinion and you are entitled to it. but be ready be for severe burns from the flames when you try and lump everybody into a category saying that we dont see through the illusion, and you do. and how its not a real gamers game. please. thats just as bad as thinking this was a forum topic and not a blog. or better yet, put it in your review of the game.

i could go over the points that i agree and disagree with you on about a game that regardless of what anybody on this site says, is a ps3 classic and a system seller. but i wont. the game is over a year old and here we all are still talkin bout it. i think that speaks volume enough.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="sixgears2"]

Adziboy

I actually only read the first paragraph. "but I've never been one to swoon over graphics or writing when all they really do is attempt to mask a mediocre experience." Ermm... no. Just no. Your basically saying that the sole element of games is the gameplay and the only reason developers try to make their game look, sound, feel great, it's only so it masks the rubbish gameplay. So Mass Effect 2 without the story, the excellent dialogue and great visuals would still be the same game because the gameplay is what matters... Ok I just read the rest. "Of course, I felt the same about God of War 3 and all the Tomb Raider games". Have you ever thought that a. you dont like puzzles in general or b. you dont like third person action games. You and the OP seem to assume that the game was made for you. It's not, quite obviously, as you didnt like it. Try other games instead of expecting the developer to cope for your specific needs. Uncharted 1 and 2 recieved great reviews and 3 isnt going to be any different in gameplay, story, graphics etc

I didn't call you guys non gamers. You can definately enjoy Uncharted 2 and still be a gamer. Uncharted is definately a game but I say it really isn't a "gamer's game" because it's greatness isn't found in the gameplay as much as the experience given to you by the non-gaming aspects.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="Adziboy"][QUOTE="sixgears2"]

Pikminmaniac

I didn't call you guys non gamers. You can definately enjoy Uncharted 2 and still be a gamer. Uncharted is definately a game but I say it really isn't a "gamer's game" because it's greatness isn't found in the gameplay as much as the experience given to you by the non-gaming aspects.

What do you qualify as 'gaming-aspects'?
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="Adziboy"] I actually only read the first paragraph. "but I've never been one to swoon over graphics or writing when all they really do is attempt to mask a mediocre experience." Ermm... no. Just no. Your basically saying that the sole element of games is the gameplay and the only reason developers try to make their game look, sound, feel great, it's only so it masks the rubbish gameplay. So Mass Effect 2 without the story, the excellent dialogue and great visuals would still be the same game because the gameplay is what matters... Ok I just read the rest. "Of course, I felt the same about God of War 3 and all the Tomb Raider games". Have you ever thought that a. you dont like puzzles in general or b. you dont like third person action games. You and the OP seem to assume that the game was made for you. It's not, quite obviously, as you didnt like it. Try other games instead of expecting the developer to cope for your specific needs. Uncharted 1 and 2 recieved great reviews and 3 isnt going to be any different in gameplay, story, graphics etcMethodManFTW

The third person shooting and platforming parts of Uncharted 2 are it's gaming aspects.

Hoznary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hoznary
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="Adziboy"] I actually only read the first paragraph. "but I've never been one to swoon over graphics or writing when all they really do is attempt to mask a mediocre experience." Ermm... no. Just no. Your basically saying that the sole element of games is the gameplay and the only reason developers try to make their game look, sound, feel great, it's only so it masks the rubbish gameplay. So Mass Effect 2 without the story, the excellent dialogue and great visuals would still be the same game because the gameplay is what matters... Ok I just read the rest. "Of course, I felt the same about God of War 3 and all the Tomb Raider games". Have you ever thought that a. you dont like puzzles in general or b. you dont like third person action games. You and the OP seem to assume that the game was made for you. It's not, quite obviously, as you didnt like it. Try other games instead of expecting the developer to cope for your specific needs. Uncharted 1 and 2 recieved great reviews and 3 isnt going to be any different in gameplay, story, graphics etcMethodManFTW

Assassins creed 2, Brotherhood! Left 4 dead 2 :) Btw i dont like how Uncharted has become all about surviving unrealistic shtick! i mean in U1 it felt more realistic compared to the second one. I mean in the first one he only encounters pirates and mercenaries but then later some zombies(not so realistic) while in the second one he fights tanks, helicopters! And he still wins somehow?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MethodManFTW
What linear action game has better platforming?
Hoznary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hoznary
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
What linear action game has better platforming? MethodManFTW
Ratchet and clank?
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts